PDA

View Full Version : whistle sound on fifth gear

jp4ever
05-17-2012, 10:23 PM
I have had my grigio abarth for almost a week now - it runs great, but I have noticed that whenever I am in fifth gear, I have a subtle whistle like sound that comes off if I let go of the accelerator and gets higher if I push down;
I stopped by at my Studio today and the mechanic heard it and told me that it is related to the turbo lag, but I am not sure.
Anybody else experienced a similar issue?

Thanks!

Black Mamba
05-17-2012, 11:23 PM
It's normal, wait till you put an intake on....Now my Abarth whines like a baby ;)

jp4ever
05-18-2012, 08:56 AM
It's normal, wait till you put an intake on....Now my Abarth whines like a baby ;)

thanks - but why does it happen only on 5th gear?

FiatCares
05-18-2012, 09:33 AM
I have had my grigio abarth for almost a week now - it runs great, but I have noticed that whenever I am in fifth gear, I have a subtle whistle like sound that comes off if I let go of the accelerator and gets higher if I push down;
I stopped by at my Studio today and the mechanic heard it and told me that it is related to the turbo lag, but I am not sure.
Anybody else experienced a similar issue?

Thanks!

Thats a normal (turbo related) noise .. No worries.

jp4ever
05-18-2012, 10:52 AM
Thats a normal (turbo related) noise .. No worries.

Ok, thanks :joyous:

FiatCares
05-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Ok, thanks :joyous:

jp4ever: If you hear it getting worse or experience any other acceleration or performance issues, please contact me.

jp4ever
05-18-2012, 12:27 PM
jp4ever: If you hear it getting worse or experience any other acceleration or performance issues, please contact me.

I will, but can you explain to me why it only happens on fifth gear?

FiatCares
05-18-2012, 01:30 PM
I will, but can you explain to me why it only happens on fifth gear?

I checked with a local dealer and engineering and they advised me it was characteristic. Thats all I was given.

jp4ever
05-18-2012, 02:13 PM
I checked with a local dealer and engineering and they advised me it was characteristic. Thats all I was given.

thank you for all the info, soory to be such a pest, but it is part of our family......:joyous:

Felnus
05-18-2012, 04:29 PM
On a turbo or supercharged car that whistle is the sound of air being sucked/forced into the engine. At cruising speeds in 5th gear, your turbocharger is not spinning as fast as when you are accelerating through the gears or as slowly as when you are parked and idling. When you let off the accelerator, the turbo slows down, moving less air and when you press the accelerator the turbo's rpm increases and more air is moving at a higher velocity through the intake producing a whistle at a increasing pitch. A slight whine or whistle is normal as long as your boost pressure is building correctly.

jp4ever
05-18-2012, 06:08 PM
On a turbo or supercharged car that whistle is the sound of air being sucked/forced into the engine. At cruising speeds in 5th gear, your turbocharger is not spinning as fast as when you are accelerating through the gears or as slowly as when you are parked and idling. When you let off the accelerator, the turbo slows down, moving less air and when you press the accelerator the turbo's rpm increases and more air is moving at a higher velocity through the intake producing a whistle at a increasing pitch. A slight whine or whistle is normal as long as your boost pressure is building correctly.

Ok, that makes sense, thanks so much for the explanation!