PDA

View Full Version : Tinting sun-roof Warranty question

Bruce Winter
05-12-2012, 11:57 AM
I would like to protect my warranty. Although I tinted my windows, I was told that tinting the sunroof would void my warranty, and that is not a good idea. Is anyone familar with this issue. I would love a opaque shade or a darker glass sun roof to block the sun on occasion, being in south Florida. I also saw that some of you already have tinted the sun roof. Any thoughts or ideas? Bruce

Pronto
05-12-2012, 12:31 PM
I would like to protect my warranty. Although I tinted my windows, I was told that tinting the sunroof would void my warranty, and that is not a good idea. Is anyone familar with this issue. I would love a opaque shade or a darker glass sun roof to block the sun on occasion, being in south Florida. I also saw that some of you already have tinted the sun roof. Any thoughts or ideas? Bruce

I just tinted all the windows yesterday. I used the legal tint on the sides and back windows and a darker tint on the sunroof. I also tinted the front window for heat reduction which is recently made legal in Hawaii! I don't see why tinting a sunroof would void a warranty. Anyone out there with knowledge of this?????

SeaDawg
05-12-2012, 01:51 PM

Somebody ought to take some of these dealers out and shoot them right in front of their 'studios'! I'd like them to explain to me how tinting the sunroof would legally void the warranty on the sunroof OR the car. Of course, if you'd paid the dealer to do it/have it done at TWICE what a normal window tint business, such as Tint King, would charge, the dealer wouldn't have a thing to say. I got mine tinted by Tint King in West Palm Beach along with the other side windows and rear window. I'm an easy going person, but NO car dealership, studio, or whatever is going to walk on me about warranties being voided. And I certainly did NOT need or ask their permission to get any of it done.

I just had my sunroof serviced as part of my 1 year oil change/maintenance services. They took the entire glass panel off and then lubricated the tracks and mechanism and then reinstalled the glass panel. The problem is WE tell them we're going to do stuff and they're off to storybook land. It's obvious that my windows are tinted, but I haven't felt a need to tell the studio/service department that my sunroof is tinted. I mean REALLY, what effect on the operation of the sunroof does a tint on the glass panel have???!!! And WHAT business is it of THEIRS that I did??!!

SeaDawg
05-12-2012, 01:56 PM
I just tinted all the windows yesterday. I used the legal tint on the sides and back windows and a darker tint on the sunroof. I also tinted the front window for heat reduction which is recently made legal in Hawaii! I don't see why tinting a sunroof would void a warranty. Anyone out there with knowledge of this?????

Dealers will tell you anything they think you'll buy into. As I said above, if you'd pay them TWICE the normal price to do the same job, they wouldn't have anything to say. And asking them if something will void your warranty is like throwing raw meat and blood in the water near a school of Great White sharks.

wachuko
05-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Well... we are not really tinting anything, right? Just putting a film on the glass... no way that will have any adverse impact on the sunroof or windows...

I went with the 3M crystalline window film in the Sunroof (grade 40, darkest that comes in Crystalline) and in the windshield (grade 90, just looks clear), and 3M regular on the sides and back. The amount of heat reduction inside the car is simply amazing...

So just do it...

bryanintowson
05-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Sounds like a plan - Can anyone recommend a good tinting shop in the Baltimore/DC area?

pchop
05-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Why do you want to tint your sunroof? The sunroof is already tinted plus you have a sun shade.

SeaDawg
05-12-2012, 06:40 PM
Well... we are not really tinting anything, right? Just putting a film on the glass... no way that will have any adverse impact on the sunroof or windows...

I went with the 3M crystalline window film in the Sunroof (grade 40, darkest that comes in Crystalline) and in the windshield (grade 90, just looks clear), and 3M regular on the sides and back. The amount of heat reduction inside the car is simply amazing...

So just do it...

I have been seriously thinking of having the windshield done, but then I don't know where I'd mount my E-pass transponder. If you have one of those where are you planning to mount it with the film in place?

SeaDawg
05-12-2012, 06:42 PM
Why do you want to tint your sunroof? The sunroof is already tinted plus you have a sun shade.

Because here in Florida it gets HOT, HOT, HOT!!! And not necessarily just in the Summer either. Also the auto climate control doesn't have a radiant heat compensation sensor/circuit.

cmj912
05-12-2012, 07:25 PM

Lots of folks in the hot climes have been saying that even with the shade the roof lets in enough sun to heat up your head rather a lot -

There's a pic somewhere of a guy testing the Edmund's car in the California desert with an improvised turban on. I guess for the thin or devoid of hair it was a bit much.

An alternative would be to have a shop swap out the sunshade with opaque material. As long as it is flexible enough to roll up :D

Mayast1
05-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Aw, lucky you live Hawaii. It's where I grew up, and where I still hold my drivers license. I refuse to give it up till I have to!

pchop
05-12-2012, 08:06 PM
I have been seriously thinking of having the windshield done, but then I don't know where I'd mount my E-pass transponder. If you have one of those where are you planning to mount it with the film in place?

aahh...yes. forgot to read OP's location. You need 3M Crystalline tint. I had a Lotus Esprit with a glass roof it was an oven.

cogtooth
05-12-2012, 09:03 PM
I tinted the sunroof to 5% with the sun never bothering me now, and can see out just fine. The shade is never necessary anymore.

Pronto
05-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Aw, lucky you live Hawaii. It's where I grew up, and where I still hold my drivers license. I refuse to give it up till I have to!
We are blessed here in Hawaii, for sure. Where is Poca, WV?

BillE
05-13-2012, 10:25 AM

As you acknowledged later, Crystalline is the way to go. Its UV filtering is said to be higher than other films. And, since the built-in sun shade is perforated, I also have the 500 Madness Sunroof Shade which is solid. I need to protect my skin the best I can as do lots of people these days. BTW, I enjoy opening the roof on pleasant evenings after the sun gets out of the way :)

Mayast1
05-13-2012, 10:33 PM
It's just outside Charleston, the capital. Cost of living is great, and I plan to leave when my oldest graduates in 2 years. I travel as often as possible so I don't go stir crazy. I'm about 6 hours from DC.

johniew398
05-14-2012, 01:41 AM
I pick my car up hopefully this week. I hadn't made up my mind to tint the sunroof; but, after reading these posts I am going to have it tinted.

I'm not worried about it voiding the warranty on the sunroof; although, I am with everyone else and can't imagine why it would void anything.

Bruce Winter
05-14-2012, 02:04 PM
quick update: Using 3m crystalline 70 for sunroof. Installer had no issues about glass breakage. says heat must exceed 1,200 degrees

DCAbarth
05-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Are you also having the 3M Crystalline installed on the windows?

Bruce Winter
05-14-2012, 08:29 PM
too late: the windshield and windows were previously done by a different installer. Having seen the Crystalline demo, clearly I would use on the windshield, and sun roof. For a few exta dollars I would have used it exclusively. I have a range rove evoque that I will tint completely with Crystalline film with the same installer

DCAbarth
05-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the info, definitely want to get it done on my sunroof and windshield. Do you know or have you heard that having Crystalline on the windshield affects EZ Pass (or Sun Pass in FL) functioning properly?

wachuko
05-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the info, definitely want to get it done on my sunroof and windshield. Do you know or have you heard that having Crystalline on the windshield affects EZ Pass (or Sun Pass in FL) functioning properly?

Non metallic, so no impact to anything... I have it in mine, and eZ-pass working fine

DCAbarth
05-14-2012, 10:14 PM
Appreciate the info Wachuko!

SeaDawg
05-14-2012, 11:10 PM
Non metallic, so no impact to anything... I have it in mine, and eZ-pass working fine

How did you mount your E-pass transponder after doing the windshield?

wachuko
05-15-2012, 09:23 AM
How did you mount your E-pass transponder after doing the windshield?

It is one of those things that you just wish you could completely hide... I used the tapes that they give you with the plastic velcro mounts...

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/dsc06308.jpg

SeaDawg
05-15-2012, 11:30 AM
It is one of those things that you just wish you could completely hide... I used the tapes that they give you with the plastic velcro mounts...

So, once they got the film on and it cured you just reapplied the sticky velcro strips and mounted it on the film? I thought that might cause the film to pull away from the window. That's the system I use now on the glass...maybe I'll try and find one of those suction cup holders...what do you think?

pchop
05-15-2012, 04:55 PM
It is one of those things that you just wish you could completely hide...

http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-211338-Paint-Plastic-12-Ounce/dp/B0002YPHFC

So, once they got the film on and it cured you just reapplied the sticky velcro strips and mounted it on the film? I thought that might cause the film to pull away from the window. That's the system I use now on the glass...maybe I'll try and find one of those suction cup holders...what do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/E-Squared-EZ-Clip-Electronic-EZ-Pass-Holder/dp/B0007N20GM

wachuko
05-15-2012, 05:12 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-211338-Paint-Plastic-12-Ounce/dp/B0002YPHFC

http://www.amazon.com/E-Squared-EZ-Clip-Electronic-EZ-Pass-Holder/dp/B0007N20GM

Hahahahahahahahaha all this time and I never thought about painting the darn thing black, hahahahahaha Thank you!

Onceupon
05-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Tinting the sunroof probably won't void your warranty but I'd ask your dealer just to make sure - a lot of tint places won't do it because it's a fairly common belief that dark tint will cause your sunroof glass to crack. I'm not sure there's any evidence for this being the case (your sunroof should be tempered glass), but a lot of people believe it and warranties are often written to worst case scenarios.

Onceupon
05-17-2012, 10:52 AM

Where'd you get your tint done? I've been reading shop reviews and, well, personal recommendations are always best, I think.

Pronto
05-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Tinting the sunroof probably won't void your warranty but I'd ask your dealer just to make sure - a lot of tint places won't do it because it's a fairly common belief that dark tint will cause your sunroof glass to crack. I'm not sure there's any evidence for this being the case (your sunroof should be tempered glass), but a lot of people believe it and warranties are often written to worst case scenarios.
I think most people would agree that if the tint was responsible for breaking the glass, that it would not be covered by the Fiat Warranty but the rest of car warranty should not be voided, that is my point.

johniew398
05-19-2012, 12:26 AM
I picked up my car three days ago and had it tinted the day after I got it, side, back and dark on the sunroof. I immediately noticed how much it cut the heat from the sunroof.

spydersniper
03-17-2013, 05:43 PM
There is nothing in stete law that says anything about tint ing sunroofs. When you are pulled over by Super Trooper, his main thing is his safety, which is why back and side windows are regulated.H has to be able to see movement through it in daylight or flashlight at night. If that was a law they would have to ban moonroofs which are solid metal. When you are pulled over turn on your interior light, roll your window down and stick your hands out the window. By showing concern for the officer it might save you a ticket! As a former P.O. I took a drivers concern for my life into consideration. By the way. I was looking at vendors yesterday and one of them makes a removable heat shild that yuo put between the roof and the slider. Just remove before opening. I think it was Hot Fiat. If interested let me kno and I'll backtrack for you

Andree
03-17-2013, 07:45 PM
There is nothing in stete law that says anything about tint ing sunroofs. When you are pulled over by Super Trooper, his main thing is his safety, which is why back and side windows are regulated.H has to be able to see movement through it in daylight or flashlight at night. If that was a law they would have to ban moonroofs which are solid metal. When you are pulled over turn on your interior light, roll your window down and stick your hands out the window. By showing concern for the officer it might save you a ticket! As a former P.O. I took a drivers concern for my life into consideration. By the way. I was looking at vendors yesterday and one of them makes a removable heat shild that yuo put between the roof and the slider. Just remove before opening. I think it was Hot Fiat. If interested let me kno and I'll backtrack for you

I noticed the sunshades at 500 Madness.

For the fixed moonroof (does not open) that comes standard in the Lounge:
http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=201&product_id=1053

For the powered sunroof (opens) in all models:
http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=201&product_id=516

This is something totally worthwhile if you are in a hot sun area. Just pop it in, close your shade, and you have a solid, shaded interior. It's ideal because it then gives us all options. We can have a solid roof, as needed. Or the perforated shade. Or no perforated shade and just the glass.

I don't have one yet. I hope that my interior heats up. It's chilly in SF, all the time where I am.

Tweak
03-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Before I traded for my Abarth I had a Sport and I had the sunroof tinted darker than legal, not at all an issue and not a "window" that gets tested so it should pose no problem, definitely makes it much nicer, I kind of miss having my sunroof now that the weather is improving. :(

DJ Sueno
03-18-2013, 11:49 PM
I hadn't even thought about tinting the sunroof until I saw this thread... I may tint it but will use static cling tint. :smile:

I am going to use static cling on the small windows and hatch as well... It works great and leaves no mess! :rockon:

Rags747
01-23-2014, 08:51 AM
Been thinking about this and the issue that I see with the Madness solid shade is this....What happens when u put the roof in the vent position? Seems like the shade would kind of defeat the purpose of tilting the sunroof up. Am I right in thinking this?