PDA

View Full Version : What do almost totaling my Fiat Abarth and low Turbo boost have in common?

Fiat411
05-10-2012, 08:35 PM
Although my studio said that driving my Abarth was ok in its current condition, I sidelined the car, choosing not to drive it until my turbo boost problems are resolved.

Well, it was a beautiful sunny day in D.C. and after almost two weeks away from my Abarth I decided to drive it to work.

I was merging onto 295 South, and a dump truck in the center lane switch into my lane right behind me. Suddenly, my turbo boost dropped to near 0 and the car started to loosing speed, luckily the dump truck drive jacked on his brakes in time. We both pulled over to the side of the road...he said he missed my rear end by inches.

I'm worried that there may be real damage to my Turbo unit. The PSI tops out at 6 PSI in sport and normal mode.

Drive safe.

DCAbarth
05-10-2012, 09:02 PM
I dunno buddy, I think it's time to exchange that bad boy for a new one or a refund! It's one thing when you put your life in your own hands with a car, but when the car puts your life in its hands, that's not cool.

Fiat411
05-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Curently under VA and DC law I don't have a lot of options (my wife is a partner at Skadden, and one of the 1Ls research it for me). I'd like to return it for a different car, but my situation doesn't meet lemon law standard. I'm torn, I love the car, but hate all the issues that came with it. I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow, lets hope they have the parts to fix it.

My wife almost became a wealthy woman today, If the dump truck hit me, I don't think I would have survived the acident. It was a massive truck.

Fiat411
05-10-2012, 09:20 PM
I talked to Jonathan, aka Fiat Cares, and it seems that there is nothing Fiat can do to help me. I've just have to sit and wait for the parts to reach the dealer so they can fix my car.

DCAbarth
05-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Not to mention we still need to meet up at the brewhouse! So I'm very glad nothing happened to you, your Abarth or the dump truck.

Hopefully everything will work out for the best in the end though.

bryanintowson
05-10-2012, 09:33 PM
I talked to Jonathan, aka Fiat Cares, and it seems that there is nothing Fiat can do to help me. I've just have to sit and wait for the parts to reach the dealer so they can fix my car.

They're not going to help you with a loaner?!

Fiat411
05-10-2012, 09:42 PM
The Abarth doesn't come with the same warranty as the other 500 models. No trip interruption, free oil changes, towing, or rental car coverage. My Studio (Fiat of Alexandria) is great! I think they will give a loner if I ask, but they don't have to.

iBARTH
05-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Woah... sorry to hear this... but glad you are ok. I too would agree that Fiat of Alexandria is Top Shelf. I am happy I bought my Abarth there. I hope all goes well on your turbo issue. I love this car....

bryanintowson
05-10-2012, 10:00 PM
The Abarth doesn't come with the same warranty as the other 500 models. No trip interruption, free oil changes, towing, or rental car coverage. My Studio (Fiat of Alexandria) is great! I think they will give a loner if I ask, but they don't have to.

Wow. That definitely puts to bed any lingering ideas of having an Abarth as my daily driver...

I'm glad to hear your Studio is top notch. Heritage FIAT in Owings Mills, MD is my place and they've been great. If you're ever in the Baltimore area, they're solid.

wachuko
05-10-2012, 10:08 PM
I don't get it... you know that the drop in power comes from hoses that are not secured with hose clamps... why risk driving it knowing that when the turbo builds pressure it will slide them off...

If you want to do something about it, buy the hose clamps at a local performance shop and be done with it, OR do not use the car and wait for FIAT.

I hope you understand that I mean no disrespect, but this is an easy thing to fix as a diy... those clamps are not specialty clamps... you can use as a temporary solution these:

http://images.jamestowndistributors.com/woeimages/plumbing/250_250/awab_clamp-tail_tip.jpg

and if you find a performance shop locally these would be the best alternative:

http://www.jscspeed.com/images/catalog/category365_thumb_full.jpg

I wished you lived near me, we would have fixed this over a glass of wine or an espresso...

Fiat411
05-10-2012, 10:35 PM
I don't get it... you know that the drop in power comes from hoses that are not secured with hose clamps... why risk driving it knowing that when the turbo builds pressure it will slide them off...

If you want to do something about it, buy the hose clamps at a local performance shop and be done with it, OR do not use the car and wait for FIAT.

I hope you understand that I mean no disrespect, but this is an easy thing to fix as a diy... those clamps are not specialty clamps... you can use as a temporary solution these:

http://images.jamestowndistributors.com/woeimages/plumbing/250_250/awab_clamp-tail_tip.jpg

I wished you lived near me, we would have fixed this over a glass of wine or an espresso...

I asked the Studio several times if the car was ok to drive and they said, yes. I called Fiat's 800 number and asked the same question and they said that if the Studio said it was ok to drive then it is. I chose to play it safe and not drive the car until today. That said, the studio, FiatCares, and must everyone on this forum referred to the PSI problem as minor until now.

As far as the clamps go, both the dealer, and FiatCares said not to use anything but fiat clamps on the hoses. Apparently the hoses have rubber tabs on them, and only fiat's clamps have the notch in the right place that allows the clamp to line up on the hose properly while not breaking theses tabs (Sounds like BS to me too).

I did talk to Fiat Customer Service about fixing it myself. Thye told me that if I use non fiat clamps on the hoses that it would void the portion of my warranty that covers the hoses and intercoolers, and that these parts are very expensive.

If I lived near you, I'd take you up on your offer. I could use a drink.

wachuko
05-10-2012, 10:51 PM
I asked the Studio several times if the car was ok to drive and they said, yes. I called Fiat's 800 number and asked the same question and they said that if the Studio said it was ok to drive then it is. I chose to play it safe and not drive the car until today. I admit that it was a mistake. That said, the studio, FiatCares, and must everyone on this forum referred to the PSI problem as minor until now. As far as the clamps go, both the dealer, and FiatCares said not to use anything but fiat clamps on the hoses. Apparently the hoses have rubber tabs on them, and only fiat's clamps have the notch in them that allow them to line up on the hose properly while not breaking theses tabs.

I did talk to Fiat Customer Service abut fixing it myself. Thye told me that if I use non fiat clamps on the hoses that it would void the portion of my warranty that covers the hoses and intercoolers, and that these parts are very expensive.

If I lived near you, I'd take you up on your offer. I could use a drink.

I saw the tabs you mention, but those are only on the hoses at the top. Take a look:

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/dsc06262.jpg

If you go back to the photo where I labeled the clamps 1,2,3; those do not have tabs and regular hose clamps will work. Those were the ones you mentioned that were missing in your car.

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/dsc06267_copy2.jpg

In fact, if you look again at the photo, two of those clamps look like the inexpensive kind (1,3) and one looks like the one I used in my turbo projects (2)...

I really do not know why they would tell you that it was ok to drive it like that. Boost pressure builds and forces the hoses out, that is why there is a need for the hose clamps.

I was saying it was a trivial issue because it can be fixed at home easily.

Black Mamba
05-10-2012, 11:16 PM
I have to chime in and just say your dealership is a complete POS. They should've had clamps for you same day from a local vendor such as AutoZone etc..
On another note, dont drive your car when you have such a bad boost leak and hope one of these vendors have some hard pipes coming to replace the stock softies.

johniew398
05-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Even though I message my salesman and told him to make sure the check for missing clamps when mine comes in next week, I am expecting to find at least one missing clamp which means I can't pick up the car.

I'm not expecting the quality of my ACR and ZR1; but, come on Fiat should have already issued at least a service notice so anyone that has picked up an Abarth can bring it in to have it checked.

Fiat500USA
05-11-2012, 12:13 AM
I saw the tabs you mention, but those are only on the hoses at the top. Take a look:

If you go back to the photo where I labeled the clamps 1,2,3; those do not have tabs and regular hose clamps will work. Those were the ones you mentioned that were missing in your car.

In fact, if you look again at the photo, two of those clamps look like the inexpensive kind (1,3) and one looks like the one I used in my turbo projects (2)...

I really do not know why they would tell you that it was ok to drive it like that. Boost pressure builds and forces the hoses out, that is why there is a need for the hose clamps.

Glad you are alright. I wouldn't use the car without clamps, that is not good for the Turbo or your health. The bottom hose, like Wachuko says, looks to be only a basic clamp. You can use the AutoZone kind, or preferably get the nice t-bolt/European style. If you are missing the top clamp, they look to be special, but you may even be able to use a good zip tie (better than nothing). I wonder if Audi/VW has an equivalent. Obviously it is a drag to fix your own car, but if it's a bottom clamp it may just save you a lot of aggravation.

If anyone else has this problem, please send me a PM and if you can include your VIN, it would help.

Fiat411
05-11-2012, 01:40 AM

I'm a liberal arts guy, give me a paint brush and I'll paint you a beautiful Abarth, give me a wrench I will reck your car.

Fiat500USA
05-11-2012, 02:17 AM
I'm a liberal arts guy, give me a paint brush and I'll paint you a beautiful Abarth, give me a wrench I will reck your car.

Totally understandable, not your position to have to do QC for Toluca. What I can't understand is why the dealer just doesn't put a clamp on if it is a bottom hose. Maybe they are assuming it is special (because it is so new) and need to take a good look at it.

I just hope that these initial issues don't ruin your total experience. Hang in there.

Abarth01
05-11-2012, 07:00 AM

IMHO, I would not touch it any further. I'd take it back drop it off and tell them to contact you when its fixed. First off, you just about died as a result of being told it was okay to drive it by the studio. This should be a gut check for anyone. Plus, all good things about FIAT of Alexandria aside, they probably would rethink telling anyone its okay to drive it like it is with virtually no boost. If you start playing around by adding clamps and what not, you've just changed the equation and FIAT could...I say could, come back in the event of any further problems and deny any claim based upon the fact you knew the clamps were missing and you continued to drive it and then started messing with adding stuff. Just a pain in the a$$ to have to deal with. Trust me, I know those dump trucks and your story scares the crap out of me to think you just about bought the farm. Mine will be at FIAT of Alexandria this afternoon having them conduct a thorough inspection of all hose connections.

yul
05-11-2012, 07:44 AM
Seems a few Abarth's are missing 3 clamps.....I have check mine and they seem to be there. I was wondering can I see if all the clamps are there from the top or from underneath? What side are the clamps missing from?

thanks
yul

bryanintowson
05-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Totally understandable, not your position to have to do QC for Toluca. What I can't understand is why the dealer just doesn't put a clamp on if it is a bottom hose. Maybe they are assuming it is special (because it is so new) and need to take a good look at it.

I just hope that these initial issues don't ruin your total experience. Hang in there.

I know from some limited experience working on turbo diesel engines that sometimes you can't just use any old hose clamp. The rubber in the hoses needs to have a certain amount of pressure applied. Too much and you'll damage the hose and it will fail at the clamp because you've literally squeezed it to death. I can understand wanting to get the right parts.

I can't however understand them telling anyone to drive a car without clamps on the turbo hoses. I'm not a licensed mechanic but geez!

RoosterX19
05-12-2012, 11:03 AM
IMHO, I would not touch it any further. I'd take it back drop it off and tell them to contact you when its fixed. First off, you just about died as a result of being told it was okay to drive it by the studio. This should be a gut check for anyone. Plus, all good things about FIAT of Alexandria aside, they probably would rethink telling anyone its okay to drive it like it is with virtually no boost. If you start playing around by adding clamps and what not, you've just changed the equation and FIAT could...I say could, come back in the event of any further problems and deny any claim based upon the fact you knew the clamps were missing and you continued to drive it and then started messing with adding stuff. Just a pain in the a$$ to have to deal with. Trust me, I know those dump trucks and your story scares the crap out of me to think you just about bought the farm. Mine will be at FIAT of Alexandria this afternoon having them conduct a thorough inspection of all hose connections.

This +1. Drop it off and tell them to call you when it's VERIFIED fixed and no problem. Also I'd tell them that you almost got run over by a dumptruck in this supposedly safe condition, your looking into possible repercussions for the dealer and Fiat USA. Nobody in their right mind should have told you that in the first place. An engine designed to run with boost, will not perform. I'd also make mention that you are not happy with the fact that the turbo may be damaged.Turbo's are made to work in a boosted environment, not free spinning. I'd demand they replace atleast the turbo as most likely it has bearing damage.

Fiat411
05-13-2012, 10:10 PM
I got my car back today. All I can say is what a difference now that the boost is working properly. My studio checked the car from top to bottom and everything is working as it should be. Many of you recommended that I should have bought the clamps from Auto Zone and fixed the car myself. My studio showed me the replacement part before they put it on the car and I must tell you that it is not something that you can buy at Auto Zone. Inside the pipe that connects to the intercooler is a wired metal triangle clip set inside a rubber gasket. Apparently, this missing gadget is what was causing all of my boost problems, because my studio did replace the missing clamps the first time I brought the car in for service.

Fiat411
05-13-2012, 10:36 PM
First, let me remind everyone on this forum that if your car makes a loud hiding noise that sounds a lot like pouring cold water into a hot frying pan your car IS NOT SAFE TO DRIVE!

Now onto the good news, I got my car back today and ll I can say is what a difference now that the boost is working properly. My studio checked the car from top to bottom and everything is working as it should be.

Many of you recommended that I should have bought the clamps from Auto Zone and fixed the car myself. My studio showed me the replacement part before they put it on the car and it is not something that you can buy at Auto Zone. Inside the pipe that connects to the intercooler is a round metal clip with triangle shaped set inside a rubber gasket. Apparently, this missing gadget is what was causing all of my boost problems, because my studio did replace the missing clamps the first time I brought the car in for service (which they had told me that).

They apologized for allowing me to drive the car. My studio based their decision on documentation from Fiat S.p.A. which indicates that the car is safe to drive. Fiat S.p.A is updating their dealer documentation and sending out a alert to all Studios.

Let me remind everyone on this forum that if your car makes a loud hiding noise that sounds a lot like pouring cold water in a hot frying pan then your car is missing this part and IS NOT SAFE TO DRIVE!

MarkG
05-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Good deal! I hope that was the end of your trouble. Mine has been in "pending inspection" forever, I can only suppose that they are doing a better job now. It was supposed to ship 5/10, but missed that date-looks like 5/18 now.

deathshead
05-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Glad you got it fixed however Fiat is correct.
There is nothing "Not SAFE" about a boost leak. Boost leaks aren't new, and its not going to hurt the turbo or the motor.
Its just not going to be as fun to drive.

It seems as is many new Abarth owners are not very technical or possibly never owned-driven a turbocharged vehicle before.
That's fine because that's why forums like these exist!
This car from what I have read runs 18psi STOCK.
I will say this once "GET USED TO BOOST LEAKS" Its going to happen again and its part of owning a turbo car it happens to everyone.

I currently Drive a 05' Dodge SRT-4 and that car runs about 15lbs stock and Every few weekends I go out and make sure everything is tight.
One of the best investments you can make would be in a set of T-bolt clamps.
Here is a comparison of Wormgear clamps vs T-bolt Clamps.
http://i47.tinypic.com/25q5h8w.jpg

The T-bolt clamps are worlds better than the wormgear style, They allow more torque on the hose and minimize on cutting into it.

The Next Step would be to build a boost leak tester. On the Abarth it looks so much easier to due vs the SRT-4 where the turbo sits tucked in front of the firewall.

Boost leak testers are SIMPLE!, You get a hose coupler, a PVC end cap and drill a hole for a tire shrader valve.
You turn the key on and put maybe 25 psi into the system. If you hear a HISS,. you locate the clamp, etc and fix it.

You can even buy a nice one with a guage for like $25 on ebay.

yul
05-13-2012, 10:52 PM
Hi Fiat411 can you please post or PM me the details about the part. I lost power the other day (Saturda)y on my Abarth and had the car flatbeded to the dealer. They are looking at it tomorrow....sounds like I have the same problem.

yul

Abarth01
05-14-2012, 09:18 AM
First, let me remind everyone on this forum that if your car makes a loud hiding noise that sounds a lot like pouring cold water into a hot frying pan your car IS NOT SAFE TO DRIVE!

Now onto the good news, I got my car back today and ll I can say is what a difference now that the boost is working properly. My studio checked the car from top to bottom and everything is working as it should be.

Many of you recommended that I should have bought the clamps from Auto Zone and fixed the car myself. My studio showed me the replacement part before they put it on the car and it is not something that you can buy at Auto Zone. Inside the pipe that connects to the intercooler is a round metal clip with triangle shaped set inside a rubber gasket. Apparently, this missing gadget is what was causing all of my boost problems, because my studio did replace the missing clamps the first time I brought the car in for service (which they had told me that).

They apologized for allowing me to drive the car. My studio based their decision on documentation from Fiat S.p.A. which indicates that the car is safe to drive. Fiat S.p.A is updating their dealer documentation and sending out a alert to all Studios.

Let me remind everyone on this forum that if your car makes a loud hiding noise that sounds a lot like pouring cold water in a hot frying pan then your car is missing this part and IS NOT SAFE TO DRIVE!

Glad to hear they took care of the problem. My Wife was there with my Abarth that afternoon and I believe she spoke with you. Mine had a full inspection of hoses and checked out good. Got it in writing. :) If anything, your experience provides excellent information on what any new owners or those waiting on their Abarths to ship should be aware of.

Abarth01
05-14-2012, 09:34 AM
There is nothing "Not SAFE" about a boost leak. Boost leaks aren't new, and its not going to hurt the turbo or the motor.

I think you may have missed the part about after being told it was okay to drive, he almost died. I'd say that is not safe. It was the studio not FIAT USA that told him it was okay to drive it with the boost leak. I don't think many folks are going to start messing with their hose clamps either while under warranty unless they are good with the potential for a$$ pain having to deal with a claim that is denied because someone decided to "fix" the problem on their own. Different story if you are not concerned about the warranty.

Fiat500USA
05-14-2012, 10:34 AM

It seems as is many new Abarth owners are not very technical or possibly never owned-driven a turbocharged vehicle before.
That's fine because that's why forums like these exist!
This car from what I have read runs 18psi STOCK.
I will say this once "GET USED TO BOOST LEAKS" Its going to happen again and its part of owning a turbo car it happens to everyone.

I currently Drive a 05' Dodge SRT-4 and that car runs about 15lbs stock and Every few weekends I go out and make sure everything is tight.
One of the best investments you can make would be in a set of T-bolt clamps.
Here is a comparison of Wormgear clamps vs T-bolt Clamps.
http://i47.tinypic.com/25q5h8w.jpg

The T-bolt clamps are worlds better than the wormgear style, They allow more torque on the hose and minimize on cutting into it.

The Next Step would be to build a boost leak tester. On the Abarth it looks so much easier to due vs the SRT-4 where the turbo sits tucked in front of the firewall.

Boost leak testers are SIMPLE!, You get a hose coupler, a PVC end cap and drill a hole for a tire shrader valve.
You turn the key on and put maybe 25 psi into the system. If you hear a HISS,. you locate the clamp, etc and fix it.

You can even buy a nice one with a guage for like $25 on ebay.

You can't use these styles of clamps on the top hose because there are tabs molded into the hose. See below:

Slight boost leaks are drivable, but if the hose blows off, say in the middle of passing or merging, that could cause a dangerous situation. Plus there is also a risk of overspeeding the turbo.

05-14-2012, 01:07 PM
My studio has said Fiat have issued a bulletin to check certain hoses before delivery. He didnt expand on that statement. So, Fiat know at least.

Fiat411
05-14-2012, 08:27 PM
I think you may have missed the part about after being told it was okay to drive, he almost died. I'd say that is not safe. It was the studio not FIAT USA that told him it was okay to drive it with the boost leak. I don't think many folks are going to start messing with their hose clamps either while under warranty unless they are good with the potential for a$$ pain having to deal with a claim that is denied because someone decided to "fix" the problem on their own. Different story if you are not concerned about the warranty.

My Studio told me the car was safe to drive because a bulletin from Fiat S.p.A outlining the issue indicated that it should not render the Car unsafe, or cause further damage to the car. Although I've been told that this missing part caused the loss of power, so much of what I've been told has proved to be inaccurate that I'm not sure what to believe.

The loss of power has now been reported by a few other forum members. I'd like to see what they are told is the cause for the problem. I know that in at least one case, it was not related to what supposedly caused by issue. I love the car, but I'm concerned that we are basically all beta testers for Fiat S.p.A. I think Fiat needs to get on top of these issues, and fast.

RoosterX19
05-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Glad everything is looking like its fixed. Please keep an eye on the turbo. Hate to see you have to buy a new one after the warranty has worn out..

Fiat411
05-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Hi Fiat411 can you please post or PM me the details about the part. I lost power the other day (Saturda)y on my Abarth and had the car flatbeded to the dealer. They are looking at it tomorrow....sounds like I have the same problem.

yul

Just sen't you a PM.

deathshead
05-19-2012, 12:23 AM
My Studio told me the car was safe to drive because a bulletin from Fiat S.p.A outlining the issue indicated that it should not render the Car unsafe, or cause further damage to the car. Although I've been told that this missing part caused the loss of power, so much of what I've been told has proved to be inaccurate that I'm not sure what to believe.

The loss of power has now been reported by a few other forum members. I'd like to see what they are told is the cause for the problem. I know that in at least one case, it was not related to what supposedly caused by issue. I love the car, but I'm concerned that we are basically all beta testers for Fiat S.p.A. I think Fiat needs to get on top bigof these issues, and fast.

An Abarth with a big boost leak is essentially a fancy sport performance wise.
Just hard to imagine how it could become a dangerous situation on the street.

sjmst
05-19-2012, 07:13 AM
Wow. That definitely puts to bed any lingering ideas of having an Abarth as my daily driver...
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. I plan on driving my Abarth 30,000 miles a year. Every manufacturer pumps out a few defects. If you go to Honda or Toyota reviews you will even see some people there complaining of problems.

Fiat500USA
05-19-2012, 10:41 AM
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. I plan on driving my Abarth 30,000 miles a year. Every manufacturer pumps out a few defects. If you go to Honda or Toyota reviews you will even see some people there complaining of problems.

I agree, every car manufacturer has a service department and warranty. I have a friend that works in the legal department at BMW. Let me tell you, there are a lot of problems that you wouldn't think the "Ultimate Driving Machine" would have. The person there is very busy.

I suggest taking what you read on forums and the internet with a little perspective. Be careful about reading a few posts and having them significantly alter what you think or do. For example, some folks here wrote in that they had some issues with their Primas, but I didn't have any other than the slow clock. My side skirts were fine, etc. Same with the Abarth I just picked up, no side skirts or clamp issues, etc.

05-19-2012, 10:50 AM
I agree, every car manufacturer has a service department and warranty. I have a friend that works in the legal department at BMW. Let me tell you, there are a lot of problems that you wouldn't think the "Ultimate Driving Machine" would have. The person there is very busy.

I suggest taking what you read on forums and the internet with a little perspective. Be careful about reading a few posts and having them significantly alter what you think or do. For example, some folks here wrote in that they had some issues with their Primas, but I didn't have any other than the slow clock. My side skirts were fine, etc. Same with the Abarth I just picked up, no side skirts or clamp issues, etc.

All true. If someone has a bad experience they tell 50 people, the same person has a good experience they tell 1 person!

Incidentally I had to threaten legal action with BMW UK when my ZM Coupe locked a front brake caliper at high speed and put me into a ditch! After months of threats and to and fro nonsense they settled and got the job done...all without admitting it of course! Never bought BMW again after that and sold my E30 M3 track car too as a result. Ive told EVERYONE about that! Now, my Toyota Yaris is an AMAZINGLY good little run about - and youre the first I think Ive said that to....but its getting sold in 2 weeks for the arrival of my Abarth. ( I even admit I expect the Abarth to be nowhere near as reliable as the Yaris! 250000km and Ive spent NOTHING on the Yaris. )

deathshead
05-19-2012, 02:00 PM
You can't use these styles of clamps on the top hose because there are tabs molded into the hose. See below:

Slight boost leaks are drivable, but if the hose blows off, say in the middle of passing or merging, that could cause a dangerous situation. Plus there is also a risk of overspeeding the turbo.

Why would you need t-bolt clamps on the intake side? Or are there more of those clamps on the boost side?

Fiat411
05-19-2012, 03:50 PM
An Abarth with a big boost leak is essentially a fancy sport performance wise.
Just hard to imagine how it could become a dangerous situation on the street.

yul has the same problem, and his studio won't give the car back to him until the missing part comes in.

bryanintowson
05-19-2012, 04:40 PM

What I was getting at - was not that the Abarth might or might not have issues. I get that. I'm not dense. My Lounge was in the shop for close to 60 days. What I was getting at was that with my warranty on my Lounge - I get a loaner car when its off the road. According to the poster I was replying to, with an Abarth you do not get that as a feature of the warranty. Given that fact, I wouldnt want one for my daily driver since if it goes down for something silly like a gauge cluster like my Lounge did (for almost 60 days) I would be walking 45 miles to work.

I came out of an Acura that was built by Saint Honda that was a maintenance nightmare so I understand even "better" cars have issues.

otter
05-29-2012, 02:24 PM
I have owned two other Italian vehicles, not including my yet to arrive Abarth, and in both cases there were missing hose clamps. They were both motorcycles from different manufactures and different dealerships, and each was missing about half of the hose clamps at delivery; a fact that neither the factory nor the dealership did anything about without my bringing it to their attention. So, in preparation for the new arrival I guess a supply of hose clamps will be needed.