PDA

View Full Version : The Reluctant White Lady finally arrives

geeded
05-04-2012, 11:27 PM
My Bianco Abarth was scheduled to arrive on Tuesday the first. No call...so I call. Now scheduled to leave the railhead on Tuesday the 2nd. I wait. Call Tuesday afternoon. Truck not full so but DEFINATELY leaving Wednesday morning. Call Wednesday afternoon.Abarth is on truck and will arrive...only it doesn't. Guaranteed it will arrive on Thursday. Our planned trip to the MOTD (MINIs on the Dragon) is on Friday, so I have my wife drive me the 110 miles to a motel Wednesday evening. Wife has to work on Thursday. I get up ready to get our new arrival. Abarth scheduled to arrive Thursday morning as the railhead is only 200 miles away. Still with me? I was picked up by the dealer at 11AM and given a very nice 5-spd Pop 500c to drive to help pass the time while waiting...and waiting. I get the call at 3:30PM that it is at the studio. Bianco w/red mirrors & stripe, red leather, she's a beauty of a classic Abarth. She's finally ready to go at 5:30PM and we have liftoff. Tire pressure checked? Of course Sir.

Friday morning getting ready to leave for the Dragon. We check the tire pressure. Left front, 36lb vice correct 38lb, Left rear 41lb! vice correct 32lb, similar mismatch on the other. Pressure checked? By a blind monkey maybe. Rest of the 'required' checks...who knows. At least the clamps are on the intercooler pipes. I had them checked...twice. The salesmen were VERY helpful but they have little or no control over what happens back in shop as far as I could tell.

Anyhow, we're now at the Dragon, and I've taken Gina over the Dragon once so far. That means I've driven one of the first (literal handful) of civilian Abarths over one of the most famous roads in the USA. I am content. There will be more. Saturday morning (tomorrow) we will go to Fontana and see what kind of reception our MINI & Abarth receive. Should be good times. Pictures will be forthcoming, but I've been a little busy....

So far, Gina has been over 300 miles so far w/o a hiccup. Here's hoping this is the beginning of a long and fruitful friendship.

Your humble servant,

Geeded

wachuko
05-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Congratulations! And what a way to break her in! I need to check the online photos (http://killboy.photoreflect.com/store/store.aspx) to see if they captured your car.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
05-04-2012, 11:55 PM
That looks fun! I'll have to try that soon. Not to far, from me and looks like some kind of rollercoaster ride in your car.

Ferrero1911
05-05-2012, 01:20 AM
Congrats! I know you've had your deposit down longer than most of us. I hope the wait has been worth it. What a cool way to break in your car!

Abarth67
05-05-2012, 01:56 AM
How did I miss you? I took my Nero Abarth to the Dragon today too. Talked to Killboy and he said it was the first one he had seen on the famous road.
I will be back tomorrow, will you be there? A friend saw a white Abarth in Bearden today, was that you?

http://brettspic.smugmug.com/Other/Abarth-500/i-cQC89Ds/0/L/GOPR0254-L.jpg

Felnus
05-05-2012, 07:30 AM
I mentioned this in Abarth67's thread, I think we need a 500s on the Dragon G2G.

On a side note, way to show the flag, running the Dragon in the middle of a huge Mini G2G. :friendly_wink:

pchop
05-05-2012, 07:50 AM
Brochure pictures don't do justice to the Bianco Abarth; it is beautiful in person. The Bianco paint enhances some of the lines that are less conspicuous on the nero car.

Abarth67
05-05-2012, 11:00 AM
I mentioned this in Abarth67's thread, I think we need a 500s on the Dragon G2G.

On a side note, way to show the flag, running the Dragon in the middle of a huge Mini G2G. :friendly_wink:

There will be at least 4-5 500s on the Dragon today.

Felnus
05-05-2012, 12:05 PM
There will be at least 4-5 500s on the Dragon today.

If it wasn't three and a half hours away(one way) I'd join you today although frankly I prefer to run the Dragon during the week when it is less crowded.

txdesign
05-05-2012, 12:11 PM
I've done the Dragon twice with the Z3 gang coming from Houston for the Labor Day party at the BMW factory in Spartanburg. The first time, back in 98 I think, we got a little lost and hit the Dragon at 1am with NO traffic. One of the most magical driving experiences of my life.

Felnus
05-05-2012, 12:21 PM
I've never ran it at night. I was there in early April on a Friday and got a free run up to the overlook and back down to the state line before I got behind slower traffic. Scared the girlfriend too, bonus points.

Abarth67
05-05-2012, 12:49 PM
I've done the Dragon twice with the Z3 gang coming from Houston for the Labor Day party at the BMW factory in Spartanburg. The first time, back in 98 I think, we got a little lost and hit the Dragon at 1am with NO traffic. One of the most magical driving experiences of my life.

I love driving the road at night too. Something amazing about hearing only your car and having the road to yourself.

MrFiat
05-05-2012, 01:01 PM
That means I've driven one of the first (literal handful) of civilian Abarths over one of the most famous roads in the USA. I am content. Here's hoping this is the beginning of a long and fruitful friendship.

I'm thrilled you finally have your car. A white one no less. A BIG congratulations from MrFiat! As I haven't even seen one yet and my White one supposedly ordered ages ago doesn't stand a chance in you-know-where of arriving anytime soon, I will be content for now to live vicariously through the experiences of the rest of you. Thanks for posting this! :encouragement:

Wish I lived closer, it would be great fun to fling the old Abarth around alongside the new ones!

And, speaking from experience, your love affair with your Abarth will be everything you hoped for, and more!

Guidare veloce!

geeded
05-06-2012, 12:13 AM
Howdy,

We got to our lodge (Blue Water near Robbinsville one the lake) Friday afternoon, dumped our stuff and headed north on US129. We stopped at the Tree of Shame, bought some dragons for the Abarth's 'baptism' and headed into Tennessee and the dangers that lurk therein. Three (!) Tennessee Troopers before the dam so it was a leisurely trip for the most part. We headed back from the turn-around and the Troopers were leaving (about 6:30pm so the trip back was MUCH better!

Today (Saturday) we went to the MINI meet to face the MINIs at Fontana (we know a lot of them). You'd have thought we'd brought Cocaine to a Hollywood party....it looked like bees hovering around a hive. Lots of questions, some observations i.e. "$22,700? MINI had better watch out" and "I drove the 500 and wasn't impressed...but I gotta have one of these!"..... many echoing similar opinions in that vein.

This car is seemingly universally known/feared/loved by the MINI enthusiasts and a fairly large percentage were very open to it (of course she cut a dashing figure looking all Euro Abarth in White/Red). Had several comment on the white showing the lines of the car better than the black (I report, you decide). The exhaust was a VERY big hit, as well as the red leather interior. Way of Way's Motor Works wanted to take it for a test drive but even I'm not that stupid <grin>. His girlfriend went bonkers over it and she drives a very nice chocolate/tan leather Clubman. I talked with the guys from Helix and they are already prototyping performance parts for the 500/Abarth. The outlook for a large variety of aftermarket options are in the works...always a good thing. Also spent some time talking with the Prez of the FLU motor club. He's seriously thinking of ditching his 500 for the Abarth. As an aside, the Aug FLU event will be great. I know I'm going.

We were on the road again by 1ish to take the Dragon into Tennessee, over some beautiful country and then back on the Cherohal Skyway. Late lunch at Telaco Plains (more questions) then back to Robbinsville. It's a little after 11:15PM and I just got the computer fired up, glanced at a couple of threads and now I'm going to crash.

Another big day tomorrow, then another great drive back home to Hendersonville. Man, I love this area...

Complaints? The front seat cushions have a rolled seam than cuts right into my tender tushie (the '06 MINI leather sport seats are more comfortable YMMV). It's very annoying to have to click the Sport button ever time, because I always forget and then come powering out of a curve and... Da*n, the power is down. For me, I could use a couple more inches of shoulder room (I will adapt). Wish the tach & speedo were lit all the time (with sunglasses on, it's just a black hole and I have no idea of speed of RPMs). I would love to find a solution for that. Tried lights on all the time but in bright sunlight the analog insturment backlights dim to uselessness. My problem due to low light contrast problems but it is a problem.

Good things? Exhaust, only stock one that I've heard that was better was the '04 R32. The 17" wheels are just beautiful, like jewels. The ride. The ride is cushioned perfection. After back-to-back driven between the Abarth & our '06 MINI S w/17", sport package, etc, the MINI will break your back compared to the Abarth. The ride is just awesome. Third gear acceleration coming out of a fast sweeper. The exhaust and the torque pull is bellisimo. Over 600 miles since Thursday afternoon and solid as a rock. Do wish they hadn't gone with style over substance on the seat bottom though. That roll hurts.

Oh, Abarth647, that wasn't us in Beardon if that's the one in/near Knoxville. We played south of there.

I'm going to crash out now. I'll probably be more coherent by the time we get home tomorrow evening. If y'all have any questions, feel free to ask. I can't promise to give you the right answer, but I'll give you 'some' kind of answer. I posting this now w/o proofreading it. A little pity with the grammar please.

Cheers,

Geeded

Fiat500USA
05-06-2012, 12:38 AM
My Bianco Abarth was scheduled to arrive on Tuesday the first. No call...so I call. Now scheduled to leave the railhead on Tuesday the 2nd. I wait. Call Tuesday afternoon. Truck not full so but DEFINATELY leaving Wednesday morning. Call Wednesday afternoon.Abarth is on truck and will arrive...only it doesn't. Guaranteed it will arrive on Thursday. Our planned trip to the MOTD (MINIs on the Dragon) is on Friday, so I have my wife drive me the 110 miles to a motel Wednesday evening. Wife has to work on Thursday. I get up ready to get our new arrival. Abarth scheduled to arrive Thursday morning as the railhead is only 200 miles away. Still with me? I was picked up by the dealer at 11AM and given a very nice 5-spd Pop 500c to drive to help pass the time while waiting...and waiting. I get the call at 3:30PM that it is at the studio. Bianco w/red mirrors & stripe, red leather, she's a beauty of a classic Abarth. She's finally ready to go at 5:30PM and we have liftoff. Tire pressure checked? Of course Sir.

Friday morning getting ready to leave for the Dragon. We check the tire pressure. Left front, 36lb vice correct 38lb, Left rear 41lb! vice correct 32lb, similar mismatch on the other. Pressure checked? By a blind monkey maybe. Rest of the 'required' checks...who knows. At least the clamps are on the intercooler pipes. I had them checked...twice. The salesmen were VERY helpful but they have little or no control over what happens back in shop as far as I could tell.

Anyhow, we're now at the Dragon, and I've taken Gina over the Dragon once so far. That means I've driven one of the first (literal handful) of civilian Abarths over one of the most famous roads in the USA. I am content. There will be more. Saturday morning (tomorrow) we will go to Fontana and see what kind of reception our MINI & Abarth receive. Should be good times. Pictures will be forthcoming, but I've been a little busy....

So far, Gina has been over 300 miles so far w/o a hiccup. Here's hoping this is the beginning of a long and fruitful friendship.

Your humble servant,

Geeded

Congratulations! Great to hear!

Have Trumpet Will Travel
05-06-2012, 04:16 AM
Must say that I LOVE post #14 ("Geeded") above. This is what makes this forum so informative and enjoyable. It also makes me want to ante-up for the 500 ABARTH right now!!! As stated before, I will enjoy my 500 "Pop", sell my Mini and THEN spring for the ABARTH, rather than "raid the icebox" (Credit Union) at this time. I intend to let you guys wring yours out, buying mine as a 2014-model after some refining - IF any is needed. HTWT.

Abarth01
05-06-2012, 06:05 AM
Very much appreciate the Dragon report! I'm going to be there next week for ZDayZ and we'll be "crashing" their annual event as well. I'll have my 370Z and the Mrs. will be driving the Abarth in a caravan of about 12 Zs on the way down from VA. I'm planning to enter the Abarth into the car show under the "other" category and see how that goes along with entering the "Exhaust competition" which should be very interesting indeed.

I concur with your comments regarding having to always select the sport mode. Each time I find myself turning onto a highway on ramp is when I realize I didn't and that is an irritant for sure. As you also said, this things just wants to pull in every gear! Tons of fun in a small package. I can't wait to put it through its paces on the Dragon.

Thanks again!

Felnus
05-06-2012, 10:31 PM
I assume this is you Geeded? Killboy.com has your pics ready.

http://killboy.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=04RK01NR030496&po=496&pc=616

wachuko
05-07-2012, 08:56 AM

http://killboy.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=04RK01NR030496&po=496&pc=616

Ha! That looks like a lot of fun!!

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/tailofthedragon3.jpg

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/tailofthedragon1.jpg

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/tailofthedragon2.jpg

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/tailofthedragon4.jpg

geeded
05-07-2012, 04:56 PM

Yep, that's mine. There are more there and at us129photos.com on Friday under trucks & other vehicles on page 46 I think. On the next to last page. There are other pictures on both sites for Saturday & Sunday. I just haven't had a chance to look them up yet.

It takes a good pic doesn't it?

Good times :-)

Felnus
05-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Yes it does lol I still say we need a FIAT get together on the Dragon later this year.

By the way, who was your sales rep. at Stateline?

Abarth67
05-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Yes it does lol I still say we need a FIAT get together on the Dragon later this year.

Count me in on this one. Fontana would be a great place to start an Abarth invasion of the Dragon.

geeded
05-07-2012, 11:19 PM

Count me in for sure. I only live a little over 2 hours from there. I know a lovely lodge on the lake....

Anyhow, my sales rep was Joe. He and the manager Jason were all there was of Stateline Fiat when it started. They're both still there, managing to survive the J-Lo debacle. There's another Studio opening in Greenville, SC which I think is taking orders for Abarths since they're new, as well as a Hendrick in Charleston, SC.

Cheers

p.s. Thank y'all for posting the pics from Friday on the Dragon. I still don't know how to post pics.

Felnus
05-08-2012, 04:18 PM
I got my Sport from Emilio at Stateline. I'll put up a post a little later about a get together on the Dragon and see if we can get some kind of a rough consensus on what date would be best. With the FLU meet in August, I wouldn't want a date too close to that. I had decided not to go(the price list in Ricambi was a bit daunting for this poor Virginia kid) but I'm having second thoughts. I'll figure something out.

MarkG
05-17-2012, 08:28 AM
Geeded, Loved the white, made a picture of your car on the Dragon my phones wallpaper.

Abarth67
05-17-2012, 08:48 AM
Hey guys, I started a thread dedicated to a Dragon event. Here is the link, we should keep the discussions moving. I am talking with the folks at Fontana to determine a good date for the first annual event. Currently, the plan is September-October date, just past the summer rush.

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?5519-FIAT-500-Abarth-Event-at-the-Tail-of-the-Dragon&highlight=dragon

Please join the conversation if you have not already.
thanks
Brett

Felnus
05-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Geeded, you made the front page on http://www.tailofthedragon.com scroll down to the highlight pictures below the ads.