PDA

View Full Version : Resolution to sluggish acceleration and hissing noise

Fiat411
05-04-2012, 10:35 PM
My dealer put my car up on the lift and showed me that the hissing noise is coming from the hoses connected to the intercoolers. These hoses are missing clamps that ensure a tight seal between the hose and the pipe extending from the intercooler.

Also, I was able to drive a friend's Abarth today; his car does not make the sound I'm talking about. Directly after driving his car, we drove my car along the same route maintaining relatively the same speed, RPM and shift points along the route. We used mile markers to guide our speed and shifting. The turbo PSI in normal and sport mode was consistently higher in his car. Also, in normal mode his gauge prompted him to "shift up" on four occasions. My car's shift up light in normal mode never promoted him to shift up. Also, it did not turn on in sport mode, likely because I did not want to stress the engine too much until the issue with my car is resolved. My car’s PSI in normal and sport mode typically hovers around 10 PSI, at times it has gone as high 12 PSI (not often though).

Bottom line: I'm very happy with my dealer (Fiat of Alexandria). They have been very responsive, and the parts are on order to address the problems listed above and below. What I'm not happy about, is the overall fit and finish in some areas of my car. The left and right side skirts are pulling away from my car (it was delivered to the dealer this way), the car is missing clamps on the intercooler hoses (it was delivered to the dealer this way), the car was missing plastic plugs on several interior parts (it was delivered to the dealer this way. I replaced the parts myself), the passenger side mirror did not work, is now (it was delivered to the dealer this way), a fog light lamp was burnt-out (it was delivered to the dealer this way).

Even with all of these issues I love this car. I hope to keep it for many years to come. But my honeymoon peirod was nonexistent with this car. I'm a little disappointed that I did not have the high/excitement that comes with buying a new car that many of you have had.

For many other reasons that I won't list here because I don't want to bash Fiat too much, I have asked Fiat S.p.A to give me the Fiat Forward Care Lifetime warranty. Let's hope Fiat responds positively to my request. Otherwise, I have to consider the vary real possibility that the best thing for me to do at this point is to return the car.

wachuko
05-04-2012, 10:52 PM
I can fully understand your frustration. You seem to be managing it very civilized.

Let us know how it works out.

BellaFiat
05-04-2012, 11:02 PM
My dealer put my car up on the lift and showed me that the hissing noise is coming from the hoses connected to the intercoolers. These hoses are missing clamps that ensure a tight seal between the hose and the pipe extending from the intercooler.

Also, I was able to drive a friend's Abarth today; his car does not make the sound I'm talking about. Directly after driving his car, we drove my car along the same route maintaining relatively the same speed, RPM and shift points along the route. We used mile markers, to guide our speed and shifting. The turbo PSI in normal and sport mode was constantly higher in his car. Also, in normal mode his gauge prompted him to "shift up" on four occasions. My cars shift up light, in normal mode never promoted him to shift up. Also, it did not turn on in sport mode, likely because I did not want to stress the engine too much until the issue with my car is resolved. My car’s PSI in normal and sport mode typically hovers around 10 PSI, at times it has gone as high 12 PSI (not often though).

Bottom line: I'm very happy with my dealer (Fiat of Alexandria). They have been very responsive, and the parts are on order to address the problems listed above and below. What I'm not happy about, is the overall fit and finish in some areas of my car. The left and right side skirts are pulling away from my car (it was delivered to the dealer this way), the car is missing clamps on the intercooler hoses (it was delivered to the dealer this way), the car was missing plastic plugs on several interior parts (it was delivered to the dealer this way. I replaced the parts myself), the passenger side mirror is not working (it was delivered to the dealer this way), a fog light lamp was burnt-out (it was delivered to the dealer this way).

Even with all of these issues I love this car. I hope to keep it for many years to come. But my honeymoon peirod was nonexistent with this car. I'm a little disappointed that I did not have the high/excitement that comes with buying a new car that many of you have had.

For many other reasons that I won't list here because I don't want to bash Fiat too much, I have asked Fiat S.p.A to give me the Fiat Forward Care Lifetime warranty. Let's hope Fiat responds positively to my request. Otherwise, I have to consider the vary real possibility that the best thing for me to do at this point is to return the car.

Sorry, for all the problems, man. That's just awful I really hope they stand behind their product and give you the Forward Care.

Fiat411
05-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Thanks. I think that Fiat will stand by their product. My family owned a chain of GM dealers for many years, comparing my knowledge of how GM dealt with customers to how Fiat cares for its customers, the difference is night and day.

GM handled these types of problems poorly. Their attitude was, "they'll probably never buy from us again, so what's in it for us to help them out." I can remember my father telling me about one customer who bought a Chevy Beretta from him. The car was riddle with quality issues that stemmed from the factory. The car was a lemon, unfortunately the lemon law did exist at the time. GM did nothing to help the customer, so my father exchanged the car for a new car on his lot and took the loss. My father was an amazing man and role-model.

Fiat really seems to care. I know they will do the right thing.

Fiat411
05-05-2012, 12:48 AM
I can fully understand your frustration. You seem to be managing it very civilized.

Thanks. I'll keep the forum in the loop.

Fiat411
05-05-2012, 08:50 AM
I'll be at Cars and Coffee today if anyone wants to hear the car.

sjmst
05-05-2012, 09:10 AM

+1

Fiat411
05-05-2012, 09:23 AM
+1

Thanks.

Abarth01
05-05-2012, 08:44 PM
Since FIAT of Alexandria has a Black Abarth on the floor that isn't driveable due to them swapping a cracked intercooler on a customer's Abarth (damaged in transit), you should ask them to take the clamps off that one and put them on yours and let them wait for the clamps to arrive, thus saving you the time. I purchased my Abarth from the same Studio. I had a few scratches on my Abarth and I pointed those out immediately to them and they are going to arrange for them to removed. Its a shame that your Abarth was able to make it through FIAT's quality control with so many issues. I hope you are compensated appropriately to your satisfaction.

Fiat411
05-09-2012, 09:24 PM
It is also missing the clamps too. They used the clamps on their demo to fix another customers car. I think it might have been yours. Also, Fiat S.p.A was not very responsive to my concerns. My studio has been a big help, but there is not much else they can do until they get the parts in.

Fiat411
05-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Since FIAT of Alexandria has a Black Abarth on the floor that isn't driveable due to them swapping a cracked intercooler on a customer's Abarth (damaged in transit), you should ask them to take the clamps off that one and put them on yours and let them wait for the clamps to arrive, thus saving you the time. I purchased my Abarth from the same Studio. I had a few scratches on my Abarth and I pointed those out immediately to them and they are going to arrange for them to removed. Its a shame that your Abarth was able to make it through FIAT's quality control with so many issues. I hope you are compensated appropriately to your satisfaction.

It is also missing the clamps too. They used the clamps on their demo to fix another customers car. I think it might have been yours. Also, Fiat S.p.A was not very responsive to my concerns. My studio has been a big help, but there is not much else they can do until they get the parts in.

Abarth01
05-10-2012, 08:58 AM

That would explain why to date I haven't had any issues with my Abarth and the boost. That sucks though and I'm truly sorry for your incovenience. At some point we'll all receive a survey to fill out or a call from a FIAT rep to determine our satisfaction with the Abarth and with FIAT. Its at that time we all need to make sure we are honest about how we feel related to the QA conducted on these first models, not aiming to bash on them but to make sure they are aware because thats the only way they'll find out. Sergio himself said his biggest fear was that they would not get it right (quality issue) and that they could absorb one bad model. However, if it its the Abarth (their halo car) that could prove very bad for their branding. I love my Abarth, and I hope they are hugely successful. However, in order to maintain that success they will need to invest in their QA process as much as they did their new marketing campaign. Otherwise this will be a short run.