PDA

View Full Version : Check engine light with less than 500 miles

Abarth67
05-02-2012, 08:51 PM
So, how can I get my check engine light off without going to the dealer? It is 100 miles away?
Not a good sign I must say. I am really disappointed that I am going to have to make a 200 mile round trip to the dealer to have a light turned off.

Leotxn
05-02-2012, 08:57 PM
If it is not the turbo hose clamp issue it could just be a loose gas cap, not tightened enough when you filled up. Usually the computer will reset this after a certain number of cycles of the ignition. Another method, worked with one of my previous vehicles, was to disconnect the battery for a brief period (30 secs) then reconnect to reset the computer. I would only do that if you feel it is not the more serious issue and just an emissions message.

Fiat411
05-02-2012, 09:05 PM
So, how can I get my check engine light off without going to the dealer? It is 100 miles away?
Not a good sign I must say. I am really disappointed that I am going to have to make a 200 mile round trip to the dealer to have a light turned off.

I'd take it to the dealer. The lights in the Abarth are not like the old dummy lights of the past. If the light is on there is a reason. Also read the fine print in the warranty, ignoring maintenance indicators can be grounds for voiding your warranty in whole or in part.

Abarth67
05-02-2012, 10:00 PM
It is not the gas cap, only filled it up once so far and it was on tight. I will check the clamp and see if that is it but a problem in the first 500 miles is not a good sign. Oh well, at least I love the car.

Abarth67
05-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Well, the light reset by itself, must not have been a big deal. The light is now off and did not return during the drive to work. Still getting it checked out though.

Dwaynek
05-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Happened to me I thought cap was tight but was slightly off the light goes off in two days, you need to hear the clicking when closing gas cap.

Abarth67
05-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Maybe that was it. Car still ran great so I will check the codes and chalk it up to experience.

Fiat411
05-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Maybe that was it. Car still ran great so I will check the codes and chalk it up to experience.

Do you know what caused your engine light to come on in your Fiat after only 500 miles.

Abarth67
05-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Nope, it went off the next day and has not returned. The dealer said to not worry about it unless it came back on. Runs great.

CTTECH
05-14-2012, 09:59 AM
If you live that far away from the dealer you may to strongly consider buying an OBD-II scan reader. That way you at least know what the code is and can research it. I bought one for $60 at Autozone. I know of some people in my Miata club who have found some online for $30.

Abarth67
05-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Good idea, may do that. My wife's car has engine light on now so looks like it might be a good investment.

CTTECH
05-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Just FYI...If you're not that familiar with them just remember if you use it to clear a code then the emissions system has to run through a whole self-check cycle before it will read "green". The evaporator component usually takes anywhere from 50-100 miles. In between that time it will read "yellow". So Red=CEL code present. Yellow = code cleared but emissions system running self check and Green = Emissions OK.

That yellow light kind of confused me the first time I got my OBD-II reader.

luscious
05-15-2012, 06:53 PM
If you have an iPhone, for $100 you can get this:

http://www.amazon.com/goPoint-Technology-OBD-II-Accessory-iPhone/dp/B00336S7KS
or this WiFi one
http://www.focalprice.com/ERCS5B/Wifi_OBDII_Interface_Cable_for_Apple_iPad_iPhone_i Pod_Touch_Black.html?utm_source=CS&utm_medium=GM_US&utm_campaign=CS_GM_US_ERCS5B

...and this one

http://www.devtoaster.com/products/rev/