PDA

View Full Version : Engine sluggish and check engine light on after 1400 miles

Fiat411
05-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Helo all.

Just got home from a short vacation to the Wrightsville Beach, NC. The Abarth added a great deal of fun to our short vacation. One concern however, after 1,400 miles the check engine light came on, the turbo boost is a little "jumpy" and the engine seems a little sluggish. I checked all the fluids and everything seems to be in order. I also followed the break-in instructions to the letter. I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow.

MM22
05-01-2012, 08:33 PM
Man, sorry to hear. You must be bummed out. Hope it's and easy fix. Let us know what they say.

Fiat411
05-01-2012, 08:41 PM
Man, sorry to hear. You must be bummed out. Hope it's and easy fix. Let us know what they say.

Me too. Love the car. It will be hard to live without it.

wachuko
05-01-2012, 08:42 PM
Sorry to read this. Let us know what they find. Sounds like the car went into a limp mode... or a vacuum hose came loose...

Fiat411
05-01-2012, 08:53 PM
Sorry to read this. Let us know what they find. Sounds like the car went into a limp mode... or a vacuum hose came loose...

I hope it is just a hose.

GramCracker
05-01-2012, 08:56 PM
You probably blew a hose or tore one of the plastic pipes from boost pressure. My money is on a boost leak or blown hose. If you have a pressure tester, hook it up to the car and test the vacuum lines/turbo plumbing. If you hear any hissing, you have a boost leak.

I really wish the stock boost gauge in this car had a "vacuum" reading so you could know if you had a boost leak. The boost gauge without one is like 50% useful in my opinion.

wachuko
05-01-2012, 08:59 PM
I hope it is just a hose.

The way you describe it, it sounds like a hose from the turbo coming loose or a vacuum hose... something simple to correct.

On another note, did you post photos of your car?? From your signature - "695 Style Dark Silver Stripe" I would love to see some photos of that!

wachuko
05-01-2012, 09:00 PM
You probably blew a hose or tore one of the plastic pipes from boost pressure. My money is on a boost leak or blown hose. If you have a pressure tester, hook it up to the car and test the vacuum lines/turbo plumbing. If you hear any hissing, you have a boost leak.

I really wish the stock boost gauge in this car had a "vacuum" reading so you could know if you had a boost leak. The boost gauge without one is like 50% useful in my opinion.

Ha! beat me to it... living with modified Turbo cars I remember these issues happening... lol...

Fiat411
05-01-2012, 09:32 PM
There is hissing when the turbo hits about 12psi and it never seems to go beyond 12psi.

satellite
05-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Definitely sounds like a vacuum hose. Are you taking it in?

Fiat411
05-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Definitely sounds like a vacuum hose. Are you taking it in?

I think I read in one of the reviews that there is a little bit of hissing from the turbo.

satellite
05-01-2012, 11:05 PM
I think I read in one of the reviews that there is a little bit of hissing from the turbo.

Well, true, just depends on how loud. My SRT-4 actually whistles/whines at full boost, but it's not distracting. If it's always done that, then that's probably not the issue, but I assumed it was a new issue?

Also, I think I misunderstood when you said doesn't go over 12psi...I thought you meant the car doesn't boost over 12psi...not just the hissing stops. Sorry...

Fiat411
05-01-2012, 11:13 PM
The turbo boost never goes past 12psi, and the hissing start every time the turbo is engaged. Not sure if the hissing in normal or not. Anyone else out there with an Abarth that hisses every time the turbo is engaged?

GramCracker
05-01-2012, 11:19 PM
The turbo boost never goes past 12psi, and the hissing start every time the turbo is engaged. Not sure if the hissing in normal or not. Anyone else out there with an Abarth that hisses every time the turbo is engaged?

No the hissing is not normal, even on any turbo car. You most definitely have a boost leak.

nyc eng
05-02-2012, 12:02 AM

There is one thing I haven't missed since having an Audi TT, pressure tests and hoses popping off. The hose to the diverter valve loved to let loose.

TimAllen
05-02-2012, 12:44 AM
does it only go to 12psi in sport mode too? mine goes to 12psi in normal mode and 18 in sport. and whines and hisses when spooling up. every turbo car i have heard whines or hisses (or something along thoose lines) when spooling up

Fiat500USA
05-02-2012, 12:56 AM
Here is a layout of some of the hoses. Check the clamps to make sure they are tight, etc. Maybe tough to see and you may have to climb under the car and pull the under-tray down to see the lower hoses.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-v9P1Uf5Shmw/T1mfhlCoZLI/AAAAAAAALQE/QGl6P8_G2wI/s800/ET012_042EP.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-us0dNCKah5s/T1mgw9IKo5I/AAAAAAAALQM/ztGaOuqUq5Y/s800/ET012_045EP.jpg

Fiat411
05-02-2012, 07:12 AM
Just barley makes it 12 psi in normal and sport.

sjmst
05-02-2012, 07:21 AM
This may seem crazy but check the battery terminals. I had something similar happen to me on my Sport. The negative terminal was tight, but not tight enough. After tightening, problem solved.

Fiat411
05-02-2012, 07:33 AM
This may seem crazy but check the battery terminals. I had something similar happen to me on my Sport. The negative terminal was tight, but not tight enough. After tightening, problem solved.

Sam,

I'll give that a try before I take it to the dealer today.

Fiat411
05-02-2012, 07:35 AM
Chris,

Thanks. I'll print this out and take it with me to the dealer.

Abarth67
05-02-2012, 08:08 AM
My check engine light just came on too, not even 500 miles on the car though. I have gone by the book for break in so far. Let me know what they say. I guess I need to get my car in as well. Seems to run ok though, just not running it hard with the light on.

Fiat411
05-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Ok it is official, hissing noise is NOT normal. Whirling noise is. The problem with my car is due to a missing clamp. This missing clam is also the reason why my shift up light is not working.

The dealer told me that Fiat has issued an inspection notice for this issue. It seems a large number of Fiats have this problem due to an oversight in the manufacturing process.

If your Abarth's Shift-Up Light is not working, or your turbo fails to reach the recommended PSI: 12 PSI normal and 18 PSI in Sport mode, your car is likely suffering from the same problem.

MM22
05-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Ok it is official, hissing noise is NOT normal. Whirling noise is. The problem with my car is due to a missing clamp. This missing clam is also the reason why my shift up light is not working.

The dealer told me that Fiat has issued an inspection notice for this issue. It seems a large number of Fiats have this problem due to an oversight in the manufacturing process.

If your Abarth's Shift-Up Light is not working, or your turbo fails to reach the recommended PSI: 12 PSI normal and 18 PSI in Sport mode, your car is likely suffering from the same problem.

Thanks for sharing your information. I'm sure it will help those who are panicking when this issue arises in their car. Maybe we should have a issue/fix sticky for problems/solutions. There may already be one, I just haven't looked. :-)

Abarth67
05-02-2012, 08:46 PM
So, how can I get my check engine light off without going to the dealer? It is 100 miles away? Car seems to run fine.

Fiat411
05-02-2012, 08:56 PM
So, how can I get my check engine light off without going to the dealer? It is 100 miles away? Car seems to run fine.

I'd take it to the dealer. The lights in the Abarth are not like the old dummy lights of the past. If the light is on there is a reason. Also read the fine print in the warranty, ignoring maintenance indicators can be grounds for voiding your warranty in whole or in part.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
05-02-2012, 09:49 PM
Does anyone know what OBD reader is recommended for the Abarth? I am hundreds of miles from any service and if needed, I would like to have piece of mind.

Leotxn
05-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Does anyone know what OBD reader is recommended for the Abarth? I am hundreds of miles from any service and if needed, I would like to have piece of mind.

Anything produced after 1996 uses a OBDII reader.

Abarth67
05-02-2012, 10:02 PM
I just wanted to reset it and see if it came back on. Seems insane that a new car with less than 500 miles already has a problem.

ace51
05-02-2012, 11:19 PM
I'd take it to the dealer. The lights in the Abarth are not like the old dummy lights of the past. If the light is on there is a reason. Also read the fine print in the warranty, ignoring maintenance indicators can be grounds for voiding your warranty in whole or in part.

I was in Wrightsville too this past weekend, too bad I didn't see you there. I was down in Wilmington Saturday evening getting dinner and doing the Ghost Tour. I would have freaked to see another Abarth! You know, you never forget the first time :p

RoosterX19
05-03-2012, 07:22 AM
I just wanted to reset it and see if it came back on. Seems insane that a new car with less than 500 miles already has a problem.

Hence the reason why you should really take it to a dealer. Since its a "Chrysler" product, you may be able to bring it to a local Chrysler dealership.

FWIW, all ODBII events are time coded also, if they know you where driving around with a CEL on, you can have your warranty voided.

GramCracker
05-03-2012, 09:34 AM

ROSS-TECH is one company, I know they make VAG-COM, which can be used on any VW product (ie. Lambo, Porsche, Seat, Audi, ect). So I'm guessing there is a company that makes the same product, but for Chrysler/Fiat/whatever, it's just a matter of figuring out which company that is.

Example: Here is one company, not sure how reliable their product is or how legit they are, but their product can read all the ECU area's on the Abarth http://www.fiatecuscan.net/

A little more googling and I found this site...in polish....
http://www.viaken.pl/sklep.php?lang=en&kat=1&prodid=2
http://www.viaken.pl/sklep.php?lang=en&kat=16&prodid=14

doadea
05-03-2012, 10:37 AM
You can go to any Auto-Zone and they will read your VAG-COM for free and give you the codes.

FiatCares
05-03-2012, 12:09 PM

Abarth67: The only way it will turn off for something minor (like a loose gas cap) is through a number of ON-OFF ignition cycles.. if it doesnt turn off, but isnt blinking, it will be sage to drive to the closest and most available studio. If it is BLINKING, do not drive it and call RoadSide Assistance.

FiatCares
05-03-2012, 12:11 PM

Lowconabarth: I understand your concern. I was able to locate the answer for you; you may want to contact your studio and ask the SM for piece of mind.

RobR
05-03-2012, 03:42 PM

I have this one which I found half price on sale near me, it works with my 500 and should work with the Abarth since the OBDII is standard these days.

http://www.canobd2.com/Products/ToolDetail.aspx?Id=7C9A44F5E21F415d9BA9F6E333FAEC1 F

Fiat411
05-04-2012, 09:21 PM
My dealer put the car up on the lift and showed me that the hissing noise coming from my car is coming from hoses connected to the intercoolers. These hoses are missing clamps ensure a tight seal between the hose and the pipe extending from the intercooler to. No seal=leaky hose, leaky hose=hissing sound:concern:

pchop
05-05-2012, 09:19 PM
173 miles, no hissing, boost hits 12 psi in normal and 18 in Sport.

Unfortunately check engine light just came on.

wachuko
05-05-2012, 09:54 PM
173 miles, no hissing, boost hits 12 psi in normal and 18 in Sport, check engine light just came on.

I have seen it touch 18 lbs of boost in normal mode... Just fyi.... But not as often as in Sport mode

327 miles here...

pchop
05-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Just ran my OBDII scanner and DTC error code I have is P04AC - I know it's a generic Emission related code. Quick search on the web didn't yield anything useful other than Lamborghini has the same code that says "Short to the Ground"

I have seen it touch 18 lbs of boost in normal mode... Just fyi.... But not as often as in Sport mode

327 miles here...

I don't think mine ever touched 18 lbs in normal mode.

Fiat500USA
05-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Just ran my OBDII scanner and DTC error code I have is P04AC - I know it's a generic Emission related code. Quick search on the web didn't yield anything useful other than Lamborghini has the same code that says "Short to the Ground"

I don't think mine ever touched 18 lbs in normal mode.

P04AC= Purge Control Valve Circuit Low
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects that the driver circuit voltage is too low.

Possible causes:

FUSED ASD RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN/HIGH RESISTANCE
OBD VENT VALVE DRIVER CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
OBD VENT VALVE

pchop
05-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Thanks! Another mate of mine had a similar issue with his Prima and it was due to the batter connectors. Last night I opened the hood, wiggled the batter connectors and both seem secure. This morning I started up the car and the Check Engine light went away. I don't know if my "wiggle" did something to the connection or if the Check Engine was just a fluke. Will report back if the Check Engine light returns.

Fiat411
05-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Thanks! Another mate of mine had a similar issue with his Prima and it was due to the batter connectors. Last night I opened the hood, wiggled the batter connectors and both seem secure. This morning I started up the car and the Check Engine light went away. I don't know if my "wiggle" did something to the connection or if the Check Engine was just a fluke. Will report back if the Check Engine light returns.

Was the car delivered to you with loose cables?

pchop
05-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Was the car delivered to you with loose cables?

I don't think so; both battery terminals were pretty tight when I "wiggled" them. Btw, what is the proper turbo boost under Normal and Sport? Is it 12 and 18psi?

Fiat411
05-09-2012, 10:26 PM
I don't think so; both battery terminals were pretty tight when I "wiggled" them. Btw, what is the proper turbo boost under Normal and Sport? Is it 12 and 18psi?

Should be 12 in normal, and 18 in sport. Also, the PSI should not drop off as you increase acceleration as some on this forum are reporting.

pchop
05-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Also, the PSI should not drop off as you increase acceleration as some on this forum are reporting.

mine does that...uh oh...

TimAllen
05-09-2012, 11:15 PM
I don't think engines with the factory waste gate can effectively hold all the boost throughout the range. mine drops off about a psi but it still pulls hard and doesn't feel like it looses power. My brother had a GTI with a boost gauge and it dropped a couple psi after reaching the peak boost. He dyno'd it and it still produced full power. I dont know if im right as im not a fiat engineer but that is my point of view!

Fiat500USA
05-10-2012, 12:12 AM
From what I understand, the engine makes dynamic boost and depending on operating requirements and conditions, makes up to 18 psi of boost. Meaning it adjusts itself. You can hear Tim Kuniskis mentions this briefly in this video. (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/03/jay-leno-drives-2012-fiat-500-abarth.html)

Spruce
05-10-2012, 05:24 PM
I posted this on the minor problem stickey yesterday................

At 487 miles after 72 hours of ownership the check engine light came on. I took it to a dealer 264 miles from home as I was on a road trip.The dealer found, and I have an exploded mechanics diagram of the intake manifold, item #3 purge hose part #04627466AA, has a T assembly in it which had been installed backwards. This T assembly is valved and will only flow 1 way. since it was backwards, it didn't allow flow. I don't have the part # for the T yet or the computer trouble code that was seen. The regional Fiat Rep was involved as well as engineers. I was told that a bulletin would go out on this issue to all dealers. That's all I know for now, the dealer was terriffic regarding this issue. I have my car back. Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote Thanks .