PDA

View Full Version : Need help getting pushed over the edge ---> into buying an Abarth! :-)

satellite
05-01-2012, 04:33 PM
I saw the UK Abarth a few years ago and basically fell in love. I love small sporty cars and currently have a 2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4 with nearly 120,000 miles. Now that the Abarth has starting showing up I'm still really wanting one (and have one on order), but starting to cast my doubts. I know we all love these cars here...so looking for that extra push to commit. :sneakiness:

My SRT-4 is going to be having quite a bit of maintenance here in the next few years - probably close to $2000. I'm sure it will last well into 200,000 miles, but the new car bug is strong with this Abarth. There are HUGE similarities with these two cars...

I test drove an Abarth a few weeks ago with my wife and son and it's a tight fit for all of us. It also didn't seem to have the power I was used to with the SRT-4, but felt VERY good to drive and had the "sporty" level in a car I was looking for. MPG is not going to make a huge difference. I'm just not SOLD yet!

Obviously, I'm not saving any money in buying the Abarth and it's not nearly as fast as the SRT-4. What am I really gaining? Just the "image" of having the Abarth? Am I not the Abarth fan I thought I was?

What do you guys/ladies think?

*EDIT* - One of my big concerns is that they are going to make a "better" version in the next couple years like they did with the Euro Abarth as well as the SRT-4 and I'm going to be stuck...

wachuko
05-01-2012, 04:48 PM
I think you are on your way... ...don't fight it...

http://strumpette.com/uploads/february08/jump_off_cliff.jpg

pchop
05-01-2012, 05:16 PM
There will always be the "next" and "greatest" model in the horizon with any car.

Some one wise once said to me "if a man can't make up his mind in 24 hours, he will never make up his mind"

satellite
05-01-2012, 05:24 PM
There will always be the "next" and "greatest" model in the horizon with any car.

Some one wise once said to me "if a man can't make up his mind in 24 hours, he will never make up his mind"

Holy crap...I need to use that quote more often!

noopd
05-01-2012, 05:36 PM
ya, the abarth is probably not the fastest or quickest car out there but certainly look most fun. I haven't driven one yet but I have yet to find a negative review of the car. It's more like a "life style" buy then a purchase based on numbers. If you are happy with what you have now, go ahead and wait a few more years. If not, life is too short to wait. :)

GramCracker
05-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Here's some insight; You're worried about leaving a Dodge Neon SRT-4 to go to an Abarth? I'm leaving an Audi S4 too get into an Abarth.

wachuko
05-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Here's some insight; You're worried about leaving a Dodge Neon SRT-4 to go to an Abarth? I'm leaving an Audi S4 too get into an Abarth.

We went from a 2009 BMW 328i with sport package to the Abarth. No regrets, this car is so much fun! Can't wait to take it to the track!

FiatPhil
05-01-2012, 06:34 PM
The Abarth is the kind of car that you open the garage doors and your friends say, "Wow - What is that?" "I've never seen one before in person".

It's like having a race car in the garage.

GramCracker
05-01-2012, 06:37 PM
We went from a 2009 BMW 328i with sport package to the Abarth. No regrets, this car is so much fun! Can't wait to take it to the track!

As it will be my only car, I'm hoping it's a blast. Obviously no highway demon like the Audi, but it will be good regardless. I've already scoped out when my local Abarth track experience will be!

It's like having a race car in the garage.

A baby race car ;)

satellite
05-01-2012, 06:43 PM

Haha, good point. I've had to deal with that perception the whole time I owned the car. I've also had a Crossfire SRT-6, which was a little more inspiring. I just love what the car provides, not so much the stigma that follows it...haha. An Audi S4, however, IS a beautiful car. Are you selling it outright or trading it in?

noopd
05-01-2012, 07:26 PM
yes, there is gonna be some better version all the time but they are gonna cost much more too. it's rumored that the 695 competitione will be released "soon". It has 20 more hp with some other upgrades.. but also rumored that the price will be 50K +..

MM22
05-01-2012, 08:37 PM
I say test drive the car without the the wife and child in the car. Practical car? no... but fun as hell.

My favorite saying is, "I'd rather drive a slow car fast, than drive a fast car slow"

TimAllen
05-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Id have to say this car is more fun then my Dads 2011 S4 which is an absolute beast ! It sounds better and its just is sooo fun

wachuko
05-01-2012, 09:02 PM
... "I'd rather drive a slow car fast, than drive a fast car slow"

That right there summarizes why I got this car... :eagerness: