PDA

View Full Version : Post for Minor Issues

Pages : [1] 2

EliRider
04-30-2012, 01:56 PM
I'm writing this post for those to capture issues they noticed with their Abarths. Not to complain but to document for Fiat. I love my Abarth and in no way dissappointed in the way it drives.

Here is a list of a few minor ones that I already provided pictures to my Studio sales representative. With these minor issues, I have no complaints with my sales representive as he was willing to work on a resolution of these matters.

1) When first viewing the online pictures of the 17" wheels on the Fiat Web site... it appears that the lugs had a black chrome appearance versus the non-descript lugs that arrived. I believe these were lug covers (apparently available on the 500 Madness web site). This morning my sales rep believes that the Abarth 17" wheels do not come with the custom lug covers. I'm thinking about replacing the lugs with locking ones so not a huge deal... (would love to find a black chrome lock set). Did anybody else have the same impression/expectation?

2) The lower driver side panel towards the rear wheel was separated from the main body. It turned out that the double stick tape was splitting down the middle and causing the panel to slightly flare out. A simple fix was to clean and add new industrial double side sticky tape to secure panel. I hope it lasts. This one concerns me but seems like a minor fix.

3) Inside the panel of the rear hatch, was a missing plastic secure panel plug. I easily found a replacement plug at a local auto supply store.

Again... extremely happy and excited to be drving my Abarth. So worth the wait.

EliRider
04-30-2012, 02:40 PM
My next minor issue... is the Apple iPhone integration with Blue&Me is functional but marginal.

1) First issue was pairing my iPhone 4S - paired just fine and able to make calls... but the phone would not answer calls. By reseting my iPhone, I was able to recieve calls. You might be able to do the same thing by turning off bluetooth on your phone and turning it back on.

2) Advanced features such as play by playlists, genre, artist,... does not work. On other postings I've heard of using applications such as doubletwist to a USB fob but that defeats the purpose of phone/music integration.

Note: my iPhone does work reasonablly well with phone calls and playing music with Blue&Me in the Abarth but that's about it. I did figured out how to disable autoplay as the default is to play music when the phone is plugged in the usb port in the glovebox or when starting up the car. I had to use the "voice" command "media player" then verbally walk thru the usb settings commands then "autoplay off". Could not find this option with the "Menu" mode button.

It is my opinion that Microsoft needs to be more agnostic in supporting all advanced features for all smartphones.

trevc
04-30-2012, 03:11 PM
I agree about the lug nuts.
I'm going to get some of the black lug nut caps I found on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Black-17mm-Lug-Bolt-Covers/dp/B001FY0GGS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_T1?ie=UTF8&coliid=ITPJJCTFTTL5D&colid=2IUBZO4S0K29R

ChicagoAbarth
04-30-2012, 03:17 PM
3) Inside the panel of the rear hatch, was a missing plastic secure planel plug. I easily found a replacement plug at a local auto supply store.

Looks like the one right next to the strap. I'm missing the exact same one, lol.

Only other issue is that Blue&Me only likes to work with my phone half the time. But my phone runs a custom ROM so the fault is probably mine.

EliRider
04-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Looks like the one right next to the strap. I'm missing the exact same one, lol.

Yes... exactly. Right next to the strap... slightly annoying but easily fixed. Perhaps that was the special plug with a scorp on it :-)

EliRider
04-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Here are the picts that was on the Fiat USA web site.

I agree about the lug nuts.
I'm going to get some of the black lug nut caps I found on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Black-17mm-Lug-Bolt-Covers/dp/B001FY0GGS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_T1?ie=UTF8&coliid=ITPJJCTFTTL5D&colid=2IUBZO4S0K29R

SP1
04-30-2012, 03:47 PM
My only issue after 2 weeks is the rear windshield spray nozzle occasionally dribbles washer fluid. Happens on hard corners or moderate acceleration. Service manager says this has been a problem for other 500s. I looking to have it addressed soon.

dmvoss
04-30-2012, 03:52 PM
As I have noted in another post, my speedo,tach and boost gauge lighting doesn't work along with the upshift light.

Dale

b56.1m6
04-30-2012, 04:12 PM
If I can chime in on this I can tell you this. I owned 3 PT Cruisers built in the same Toluca plant that is now building 500s. My first was ordered by me and the wait was just like what you are all going through now. From what I remember that car had a few small issues like loose trim and missing or fallen out clips. My other two were built later 03 GT and an 04 Dream Cruiser they were better. I think some of this may be a little bit new model growing pains and a little bit rushed production to get them out. Lets just hope it is not from the Chrysler Fiat Marriage. I am hoping this merger brings out the best of both companies not the worst!

cspak71
04-30-2012, 05:46 PM
My only issue after 2 weeks is the rear windshield spray nozzle occasionally dribbles washer fluid. Happens on hard corners or moderate acceleration. Service manager says this has been a problem for other 500s. I looking to have it addressed soon.

You too! Ok, I thought it was only mine.. yes, it is somewhat annoying. Somewhat glad I'm not the only one with this issue.

04-30-2012, 07:45 PM

My 1996 BMW ZM Coupe did this....it was fixed by a recall that installed a valve behind the hatch panel...I thought it was funny, I knew when the wife was thrashing the car as she made it dribble!!!

Fiat411
04-30-2012, 08:51 PM
My shift up light is not working. Also, not sure if this is an issue or not, but the turbo maxes out at 12 psi no mater how much I hammer the throttle. Oh, and the ground effefects kit on the left and right side of the car is separating.

nyc eng
04-30-2012, 09:03 PM
My shift up light is not working. Also, not sure if this is an issue or not, but the turbo maxes out at 12 psi no mater how much I hammer the throttle. Oh, and the ground effefects kit on the left and right side of the car is separating.

I always mounted my boost gauges and shift lights on the dash so I didn't have to take my eyes off the road, when I test drove the car I couldn't figure out why the picked the location they did.

Really, body panels are pealing from the car?

RobR
04-30-2012, 09:17 PM
Really, body panels are pealing from the car?

Looks like they haven't addressed this issue since it was happening on the Sport model. I'm surprised actually.

Chris
04-30-2012, 10:00 PM

Mine does this on the hottest days.

SPQR
04-30-2012, 10:19 PM
Separating body panels.....shift lights not working.....intermittent tach problems.....rear washer issues.....deja vu FIAT all over again? Not very encouraging with so few cars out there with many of the same issues!

nyc eng
04-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Separating body panels.....shift lights not working.....intermittent tach problems.....rear washer issues.....deja vu FIAT all over again? Not very encouraging with so few cars out there with many of the same issues!

As excited as I am about this car, hearing that Fiat isn't addressing issues shared with other models is discouraging.

EliRider
04-30-2012, 11:17 PM
As excited as I am about this car, hearing these are issues Fiat didn't address on other models is discouraging.

Indeed this is discouraging and I do expect better. However I'm still stoked about this car. It was my intention to share common issues but not discourage those interested in buying (or who bought) this car. So Fiat USA... please take note.

MM22
04-30-2012, 11:19 PM
As excited as I am about this car, hearing these are issues Fiat didn't address on other models is discouraging.

I was thinking the same thing. Come on Fiat, don't be like Mini. This is why I left Mini.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
04-30-2012, 11:26 PM
Plus one.

TimAllen
05-01-2012, 01:01 AM
I can deal with little things like this... but i really hope these fiats and abarths can be reliable in terms of the engine and major components! And i hope they deal with the problems instead of forgetting about the owners just because Fiat already got their money so who cares

SPQR
05-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Sent a PM to FiatCares concerning the issues brought up in this thread - clearly they represent problems of quality control that need to be addressed sooner rather than later!

05-01-2012, 10:17 AM
All seem like recall issues that will be fixed in the next 6 months, none of them seem major problems to me...

SPQR
05-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Personally I would prefer that they sort out known issues before the cars leave the factory rather than after

nyc eng
05-01-2012, 10:40 AM
All seem like recall issues that will be fixed in the next 6 months, none of them seem major problems to me...

If these problems surfaced on the regular 500 which has been out for over a year why weren't they addressed before putting this car into production?

VTEC Mini
05-01-2012, 10:46 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Come on Fiat, don't be like Mini. This is why I left Mini.

EXACTLY!!!! I couldn't agree more!

I hope Fiatcares chimes in soon.

FiatCares
05-01-2012, 11:32 AM
EXACTLY!!!! I couldn't agree more!

I hope Fiatcares chimes in soon.

All: Have any of these issues be brought to the attention of the studios ? Thats the first step... if resolve isnt met, then I can address each one of you, individually.

SPQR
05-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Jonathan- some of the issues brought up in this thread and others are things that in my opinion should be brought to the direct attention of corporate Fiat. They apparently have been brought up to the individual studio's who, based on what has been said, appear to be aware of similar problems with other models. The issue is that for those of us who are awaiting delivery or contemplating the purchase, that known problems have not been rectified. It's not the individual issue(s) that for the most part are minor, but rather the larger problem of quality control and addressing issues proactively, before the cars leave the factory.

ace51
05-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Check your tire pressures, my car seemed darty, the rear tires has 41psi and the fronts about the same, tech must have forgotten to set tire pressures at PDI. Makes a world a difference. Should be 38psi F 30 (or32?)psi R

EliRider
05-01-2012, 12:06 PM
All: Have any of these issues be brought to the attention of the studios ? Thats the first step... if resolve isnt met, then I can address each one of you, individually.

Thank you Jonathan for responding... As mentioned in other posts we are glad you are monitoring this forum... and yes... my Studio is aware of the issues I raised... the concern is that we are seeing a trend of assembly issues on such a premium car that is out of the control of the Studios. Special concern if these trends are also an artifact of the previous 500 models.

Most of us can handle minor issues and deal with them... however it does not sit well if a series of minor issues begin setting the tone about wondering how the rest of this wonderful car is built. Perhaps better pricing for the Extended Warrenty will ease tensions here.

The spirit of this thread was to alert Fiat of these reoccuring trends. IMHO... Fiat has a problem here... that needs quick response/correction... especially if this is a repeat issue on many cars. It's sounding like my intial concerns are echo'd loudly.

Thank you for responding and listening.

GramCracker
05-01-2012, 12:53 PM

Think about it this way.... You're only hearing about all these issues because this is a thread dedicated for that. Out of the 15 or so people in this thread actually having issues, how many out in the real world are having them too? Probably not as many as it might seem. It appears like a lot of people are having issues because it's a small forum. Personally, I'm taking all this with a grain of salt.

bryanintowson
05-01-2012, 01:33 PM
@Gram - agree.

VTEC Mini
05-01-2012, 02:11 PM

Jonathan- some of the issues brought up in this thread and others are things that in my opinion should be brought to the direct attention of corporate Fiat. They apparently have been brought up to the individual studio's who, based on what has been said, appear to be aware of similar problems with other models. The issue is that for those of us who are awaiting delivery or contemplating the purchase, that known problems have not been rectified. It's not the individual issue(s) that for the most part are minor, but rather the larger problem of quality control and addressing issues proactively, before the cars leave the factory.

Thank you Jonathan for responding... As mentioned in other posts we are glad you are monitoring this forum... and yes... my Studio is aware of the issues I raised... the concern is that we are seeing a trend of assembly issues on such a premium car that is out of the control of the Studios. Special concern if these trends are also an artifact of the previous 500 models.

Most of us can handle minor issues and deal with them... however it does not sit well if a series of minor issues begin setting the tone about wondering how the rest of this wonderful car is built. Perhaps better pricing for the Extended Warrenty will ease tensions here.

The spirit of this thread was to alert Fiat of these reoccuring trends. IMHO... Fiat has a problem here... that needs quick response/correction... especially if this is a repeat issue on many cars. It's sounding like my intial concerns are echo'd loudly.

Thank you for responding and listening.

They put it perfectly.

Think about it this way.... You're only hearing about all these issues because this is a thread dedicated for that. Out of the 15 or so people in this thread actually having issues, how many out in the real world are having them too? Probably not as many as it might seem. It appears like a lot of people are having issues because it's a small forum. Personally, I'm taking all this with a grain of salt.

No disrespect intended but this statements doesn't mean anything. First because not that many Abarths have been released to begin so I would say the ratio is high and second there could be more but there are people that not might know about this thread never mind this forum. That door swings both ways.

Thad
05-01-2012, 03:38 PM
The body clad separating from the body is common on the sport models. My car had the entire piece replaced and repainted and it's happening again. The washer dribble is a well known annoyance. These two issues (and others)were brought to the attention of FIAT when the Prima cars were delivered over a year ago. Also was the issue with the slow clock. I don't expect to see a fix for the washer nozzle dripping. I've been expecting a fix for the slow clock but that hasn't arrived yet either. The side cladding can be fixed if they redesign the upper lip in the rear wheel well and put a plastic tab there. For me, it's been over a year and 20K miles and I'm still trying to get these little annoyances fixed.

BTW, The up shift on the Abarths requires near redline to illuminate.

GramCracker
05-01-2012, 04:13 PM
No disrespect intended but this statements doesn't mean anything. First because not that many Abarths have been released to begin so I would say the ratio is high and second there could be more but there are people that not might know about this thread never mind this forum. That door swings both ways.

No disrespect taken, but please enlighten me as to how on earth my statement doesn't mean anything? There has to be at least 300 Abarths out in the wild right now. Out of that guesstimated 300 we have 6, count it SIX, people in this thread with "problems." We are never going to hear from all the owners because they either:

A. Don't care about posting on forums
B. Don't know the forums (or any forums) exist
C. Just bought the car to have a car and aren't enthusiasts

I'd say in the grand scheme of things, the ratio is extremely low and is not as high as you're making it out to be. Also, most of these issues seem to be very minor (example: the trunk lining missing a plug). To say that my point doesn't mean anything is just plain stupid.

Again, all of these "problems" must be taken with a grain of salt.

FiatCares
05-01-2012, 04:14 PM
The body clad separating from the body is common on the sport models. My car had the entire piece replaced and repainted and it's happening again. The washer dribble is a well known annoyance. These two issues (and others)were brought to the attention of FIAT when the Prima cars were delivered over a year ago. Also was the issue with the slow clock. I don't expect to see a fix for the washer nozzle dripping. I've been expecting a fix for the slow clock but that hasn't arrived yet either. The side cladding can be fixed if they redesign the upper lip in the rear wheel well and put a plastic tab there. For me, it's been over a year and 20K miles and I'm still trying to get these little annoyances fixed.

BTW, The up shift on the Abarths requires near redline to illuminate.

Thad: Thank you for addressing a few of those issues that seem to be plaguing some of the clients on the forum. Unfortunately, the process in place is not over night... but NHFiat's vehicle issues are in the hands of those who can address it; from the studio and business center. I know it is frustrating for everyone when their vehicle doesn't work, but I can only do so much from my computer in Auburn Hills, MI. Thanks again.

CLXXV
05-01-2012, 05:03 PM
I picked up my Abarth last night and also noticed the same issue with the rear part of the side sill separating from the body on the driver's side.

Here's an off-the-wall question to other owners: Do your rear-wheel black plastic guards (the thin plastic strip behind the rear wheel wells) have visible numbers/letters showing on the outside? It's as if the parts number was printed on the exposed surface rather than on the underside. Minor, but odd.

Also, the pull-strap to access the rear seats requires a reeeeeally hard tug. The stitching on the seats almost seems a bit more "hand-crafted" looking (ie, irregular) than what I'm used to. But then again, the whole car cost less than just the options in my Porsche so I'll just shuddup :friendly_wink:

I may have some shift-gate or syncro issues, but it's too soon to be sure. The 1-2 upshift and 2-3 downshift seem wonky on my car. May just need to be broken in.

I agree with others that the intent isn't to start a gripe-fest, but just to address issues that may or may not merit being addressed officially.

wachuko
05-01-2012, 05:10 PM
I picked up my Abarth last night and also noticed the same issue with the rear part of the side sill separating from the body on the driver's side.

(1)Here's an off-the-wall question to other owners: Do your rear-wheel black plastic guards (the thin plastic strip behind the rear wheel wells) have visible numbers/letters showing on the outside? It's as if the parts number was printed on the exposed surface rather than on the underside. Minor, but odd.

(2)Also, the pull-strap to access the rear seats requires a reeeeeally hard tug. The stitching on the seats almost seems a bit more "hand-crafted" looking (ie, irregular) than what I'm used to. But then again, the whole car cost less than just the options in my Porsche so I'll just shuddup :friendly_wink:

(3)I may have some shift-gate or syncro issues, but it's too soon to be sure. The 1-2 upshift and 2-3 downshift seem wonky on my car. May just need to be broken in.

I agree with others that the intent isn't to start a gripe-fest, but just to address issues that may or may not merit being addressed officially.

(1) Yes, I remember seeing those and thinking the same. Also present in the Demo car I drove

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/dsc00562sm_copy1.jpg

(2) Pull up on the strap first and then to the side or the front... easier to do so that way.

(3) And I mean this with the utmost respect. Are you pushing the clutch all the way in? I have no issues with the upshifting or downshifting... If your tranny is grinding and you are using the clutch correctly, take it into service ASAP. That is not normal. Also be sure to completely stop before engaging reverse.

Enjoy your car!!

BillE
05-01-2012, 05:32 PM
.................................................. ........................

(2) Pull up on the strap first and then to the side or the front... easier to do so that way.

(3) .........Also be sure to completely stop before engaging reverse.

re #2 - I found it much easier to pull after the first couple of times.

re #3 - And don't forget to pause the recommended 2 seconds (I think it was on the tag hanging by string next to the gearshift). I forgot to pause once and it did get a little grindy.

Have fun!

Doodles
05-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Most if not all of these issues will.be corrected with a software update.

CLXXV
05-01-2012, 08:11 PM
(3) And I mean this with the utmost respect. Are you pushing the clutch all the way in? I have no issues with the upshifting or downshifting... If your tranny is grinding and you are using the clutch correctly, take it into service ASAP. That is not normal. Also be sure to completely stop before engaging reverse.

Enjoy your car!!

Absolutely no grinding in any upshifts or downshifts, just a reluctance to go into gear...like a 2-step process, rather than just going right into gear. It doesn't happen all the time, yet seems to happen whether I shift slow and deliberately or quickly. The demo car I drove had a very "snick-snick" smooth shift action.

I will say that the clutch itself is quite wonderful.

MM22
05-01-2012, 08:15 PM
If these "minor issues" have been present for over a year, just think of the lack of follow through on FIAT's part. I don't see how being an enthusiast, or not, has anything to do with stagnating build issues that haven't been resolved in a years time. These type of issues are expected in the first year release, but its how they are addressed that should matter to the company. These are the same issues that plague the regular 500. Whether the ratio is low or high the fact remains that the problems "still" exist straight out of the factory. This is lack of product quality assurance and manufacturing quality control. Who wants to have to keep going back and forth to the dealership for these little annoyances? I know I sure don't, Id like to drive and enjoy the car I am buying without inheriting these uncorrected issues.

VTEC Mini
05-01-2012, 08:41 PM
No disrespect taken, but please enlighten me as to how on earth my statement doesn't mean anything? There has to be at least 300 Abarths out in the wild right now. Out of that guesstimated 300 we have 6, count it SIX, people in this thread with "problems." We are never going to hear from all the owners because they either:

A. Don't care about posting on forums
B. Don't know the forums (or any forums) exist
C. Just bought the car to have a car and aren't enthusiasts
I'd say in the grand scheme of things, the ratio is extremely low and is not as high as you're making it out to be. Also, most of these issues seem to be very minor (example: the trunk lining missing a plug). To say that my point doesn't mean anything is just plain stupid.

Again, all of these "problems" must be taken with a grain of salt.Because of those very reason reasons. I am sure the four or five that have reported the fairing coming away from the body on this thread are not the only ones. From the sounds of it the Sport is doing it also- how many- anybodies guess. No one can say whether this is a wide spread problem or not because not every Abarth owner is on this web site to add comment that's why I said "doesn't mean anything" because it could swing either way (bad choice of words probably). There could be just a dozen or so or there could be a lot more- nobody knows and to make an assumption either way is just opinion. I am going off what is reported here.....

I look at it this way though, how many on here have their Abarths already on this forum-about a dozen, right? 5 have issues- that almost 50%. not a good ratio. Given the number of Abarth owners on here vs. the number that how have this is happening too is not good. What is disturbing is if this has been happening for over a year with the Sport and nothing is being done. Where I live heat is a factor and I don't want to have to glue my car back together every summer.

I am also not talking about a plug missing or black chrome lug nuts which are easily fixed or insignificant. I am talking about the body coming apart. This and other things like repetitive, constant mechanical failure is why I ran from MINI. Fiat has to fly straight and true to over come it's reputation of it's past.

wachuko
05-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Absolutely no grinding in any upshifts or downshifts, just a reluctance to go into gear...like a 2-step process, rather than just going right into gear. It doesn't happen all the time, yet seems to happen whether I shift slow and deliberately or quickly. The demo car I drove had a very "snick-snick" smooth shift action.

Ahh, ok, got it!

SPQR
05-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Because of those very reason reasons. I am sure the four or five that have reported the fairing coming away from the body on this thread are not the only ones. From the sounds of it the Sport is doing it also- how many- anybodies guess. No one can say whether this is a wide spread problem or not because not every Abarth owner is on this web site to add comment that's why I said "doesn't mean anything" because it could swing either way (bad choice of words probably). There could be just a dozen or so or there could be a lot more- nobody knows and to make an assumption either way is just opinion. I am going off what is reported here.....

I look at it this way though, how many on here have their Abarths already on this forum-about a dozen, right? 5 have issues- that almost 50%. not a good ratio. Given the number of Abarth owners on here vs. the number that how have this is happening too is not good. What is disturbing is if this has been happening for over a year with the Sport and nothing is being done. Where I live heat is a factor and I don't want to have to glue my car back together every summer.

I am also not talking about a plug missing or black chrome lug nuts which are easily fixed or insignificant. I am talking about the body coming apart. This and other things like repetitive, constant mechanical failure is why I ran from MINI. Fiat has to fly straight and true to over come it's reputation of it's past.

I totally agree. It almost looks like Fiat considers warranty repairs more cost effective than fixing issues that are clearly due to engineering flaws and completely ignoring the fact that the consumer is unnecessarily inconvenienced by doing so!

FiatGusto
05-01-2012, 10:27 PM
I have no problems with my Sport; almost a year old. But it concerns me that things I read about BEFORE I bought my car are NOW popping up in the Abarths.
How disapointing for you new owners.

But, I sure hope FIAT is not assuming that only a few "squeeky hinges" will need fixing and we will leave these problems up to the Studios to resolve; no sense tweeking an assembly line just for a few reports.
Wow, please say it ain't so Joe!

Fiat411
05-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Plus two

Scorpion
05-02-2012, 12:05 AM
I've noticed the less than perfect mounting of the lower side sill piece of the body kit on my Prima. The reports of the same thing happening on brand new Abarths is disconcerting. I will be looking my car over carefully before taking delivery.

One question begs to be asked… have the Euro cars suffered from this same issue?

Fiat500USA
05-02-2012, 01:43 AM
I think this thread can be very useful for Chrysler to catch any issues on these early production cars. Keeping the comments constructive and in keeping with the helpful intent of the original post will keep this thread usable and valuable. Let's also keep perspective on some of these issues. For example, the "Shift light" turns out not to be an issue, but a misunderstanding on how it works.

05-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Side skirts coming off???? Not great that IF its been a known problem. Not sure Id go the dealer for that one probably find some panel adhesive and stick it back on myself!!!

Thad
05-02-2012, 09:16 AM
One of the things that really bugs me is that there are these small issues that the selling dealers are not checking and correcting prior to delivery. A car should not be delivered with rocker cladding separating from the body. It's easy to spot. Just look at the car. When the piece stays bent out for a period of time, the plastic deforms and replacing the adhesive won't do it. The entire piece needs to be replaced.
There was a common problem with the rear hatch Fiat emblem having what appeared to be bubbles in it. Many dealers were happy to let them go out the door that way. On one visit to a dealer, I quickly pointed out 8 cars with that same problem, some right inside their showroom.

cmj912
05-02-2012, 09:31 AM
I've noticed the less than perfect mounting of the lower side sill piece of the body kit on my Prima. The reports of the same thing happening on brand new Abarths is disconcerting. I will be looking my car over carefully before taking delivery.

One question begs to be asked… have the Euro cars suffered from this same issue?

No...or, rather, they have not had this issue to the extent that we have. However, that could be because:
1) a very high percentage of the Euro-built standard 500 do not come with body cladding. The Pop and Lounge are their bread-and-butter. Their Sport, in the markets where it exists (and it doesn't exist in many European markets the same way it does here; it has different bumpers etc) does not have lower body cladding. In fact, in many countries the cladding is sold as an accessory. The Abarth - as it is here - as a more expensive car is 'more rare' and has been on the market longer. If they were originally affected by warped body kits it would seem to have been worked out by now. I didn't see a lot on it on the Euro threads.
2) Our parts are manufactured/sourced separately. Poland versus Mexico. Affected markets for cars built for the USA would include Canada, Central and South America and China.

Earlier 500s built in Europe did at certain points have the bubbling badge issue. The picture I originally showed to my dealer was from a car built for the UK.

EliRider
05-02-2012, 09:47 AM
After further investigation with Blue&Me on the FiatUSA Forum... it turns out that the Voice Commands "Media Player" will allow you to select playlists on your iPhone. It is not very intuitive with nested menus as you need to view the playlist on your odometer display. However the radio display screen and dash buttons will not recognize the iPhone playlists,...

I hope since this is just software and Microsoft is able to navigate the iPhone's playlist that they will work with Fiat to make this seamless in a future software update. I also noticed that the Blue&Me web site appears lack of support for N.America Fiats.

My next minor issue... is the Apple iPhone integration with Blue&Me is functional but marginal.

2) Advanced features such as play by playlists, genre, artist,... does not work. On other postings I've heard of using applications such as doubletwist to a USB fob but that defeats the purpose of phone/music integration.

It is my opinion that Microsoft needs to be more agnostic in supporting all advanced features for all smartphones.

FiatCares
05-02-2012, 09:58 AM
After further investigation with Blue&Me on the FiatUSA Forum... it turns out that the Voice Commands "Media Player" will allow you to select playlists on your iPhone. It is not very intuitive with nested menus as you need to view the playlist on your odometer display. However the radio display screen and dash buttons will not recognize the iPhone playlists,...

I hope since this is just software and Microsoft is able to navigate the iPhone's playlist that they will work with Fiat to make this seamless in a future software update. I also noticed that the Blue&Me web site appears lack of support for N.America Fiats.

EliRider: Thank you for that information, its very helpful. I know that a ton of people are concerned about this

GramCracker
05-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Because of those very reason reasons. I am sure the four or five that have reported the fairing coming away from the body on this thread are not the only ones. From the sounds of it the Sport is doing it also- how many- anybodies guess. No one can say whether this is a wide spread problem or not because not every Abarth owner is on this web site to add comment that's why I said "doesn't mean anything" because it could swing either way (bad choice of words probably). There could be just a dozen or so or there could be a lot more- nobody knows and to make an assumption either way is just opinion. I am going off what is reported here.....

Just saying that there are two ways of looking at it, mine and yours; I'm choosing to be optimistic. I'm not going to retort so we can keep this thread clean and on point.

Really? I feel as though the "lightness" and lack of feel that the clutch pedal has is really horrible. I'd much rather have some weight/force/feel behind the pedal.

CLXXV
05-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Really? I feel as though the "lightness" and lack of feel that the clutch pedal has is really horrible. I'd much rather have some weight/force/feel behind the pedal.

A heavy clutch would have been a deal-breaker for my long stop-n-go commute. If I bought the Abarth as a track toy I might feel differently.

FiatCares
05-02-2012, 12:09 PM
I think this thread can be very useful for Chrysler to catch any issues on these early production cars. Keeping the comments constructive and in keeping with the helpful intent of the original post will keep this thread usable and valuable. Let's also keep perspective on some of these issues. For example, the "Shift light" turns out not to be an issue, but a misunderstanding on how it works.

Thank you..great insight and advice.

EliRider
05-02-2012, 12:50 PM
I want to applaud both Jonathan and Fiat500USA (and others) for setting the right tone here. It was my intent to raise these minor (maybe higher) sightings/concerns and not necessarily debate the merits or significance.

I'm sure with Fiat's desire to reach a larger comunity of drivers that they will have to address our concerns/perceptions no matter how small. I want to recognize those that believe this is truly minor and insignificant but also recognize the concerns of others that this is truly upsetting in the early stages of the Abarth in N. America. I'm glad several are listening and responding.

I just passed the 1,000 mile mark and loving this Abarth!

Thank you..great insight and advice.

500ways
05-02-2012, 12:57 PM
One of the things that really bugs me is that there are these small issues that the selling dealers are not checking and correcting prior to delivery. A car should not be delivered with rocker cladding separating from the body. It's easy to spot. Just look at the car. When the piece stays bent out for a period of time, the plastic deforms and replacing the adhesive won't do it. The entire piece needs to be replaced.
There was a common problem with the rear hatch Fiat emblem having what appeared to be bubbles in it. Many dealers were happy to let them go out the door that way. On one visit to a dealer, I quickly pointed out 8 cars with that same problem, some right inside their showroom.

I agree with this. It's almost like a bet. Instead of the Studios being proactive with every affected car, they choose to be reactive with a smaller number of cars. I am sure a lot of owners (unlike enthusiasts) don't even bring up some of these issues and this is where the dealer wins. By not dealing with it proactively, the dealer makes up for it in the end by devoting their time elsewhere.

It's a shame that most dealers don't have any real enthusiasts on the payroll. It's all about the Benjamins and how much product they can move. I understand that you have to keep the doors open.

But you can still make money, move product and take pride in what you are selling. Would you go to a job interview in a nice suit where one leg is hemmed and the other isn't and say it's no big deal?

In closing, the overall tone that exists for any business has to come from the top. If the top is indifferent or worse, forget what goes on below.

Thad
05-02-2012, 01:04 PM
And to follow up from 500Ways, the dealers who are selling lots of Fiats tend to be the ones with enthusiast-like employees. These have sales people who know about the brand history and the clubs like FLU out there to support it all. The studios that are still acting like the Old Chrysler dealers are also not selling cars and don't seem to care.

FiatCares
05-02-2012, 01:21 PM
I want to applaud both Jonathan and Fiat500USA (and others) for setting the right tone here. It was my intent to raise these minor (maybe higher) sightings/concerns and not necessarily debate the merits or significance.

I'm sure with Fiat's desire to reach a larger comunity of drivers that they will have to address our concerns/perceptions no matter how small. I want to recognize those that believe this is truly minor and insignificant but also recognize the concerns of others that this is truly upsetting in the early stages of the Abarth in N. America. I'm glad several are listening and responding.

I just passed the 1,000 mile mark and loving this Abarth!

Eli: And thank you for bringing these topics to our attention. Alot of the time, clients come to forums, first, seeking a resolution before having to go to a studio. With all of the knowledge on these forums, a lot of issues can be addressed. This is my (and Fiats) goal and direction here; to be proactive and reach out to those that need assistance before having to endure the inconveniences of going to the dealers, and being without their vehicles. So without subscribers like you presenting existing problems that I may not know yet, I am in the dark to what may or may not be going out there. I have never been involved with such an enthusiastic niche of car buyers. I have learned a ton, in just a short while of overseeing these forums.

cspak71
05-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Eli: And thank you for bringing these topics to our attention. Alot of the time, clients come to forums, first, seeking a resolution before having to go to a studio. With all of the knowledge on these forums, a lot of issues can be addressed. This is my (and Fiats) goal and direction here; to be proactive and reach out to those that need assistance before having to endure the inconveniences of going to the dealers, and being without their vehicles. So without subscribers like you presenting existing problems that I may not know yet, I am in the dark to what may or may not be going out there. I have never been involved with such an enthusiastic niche of car buyers. I have learned a ton, in just a short while of overseeing these forums.

Jonathon,

I'm rather impressed and hopeful that someone from Chrysler would be active on these forums. I just hope that these matters will be brought to the attention of the proper people and we'll be able to see a good follow up for owners of these fun cars, more so because I can only imagine the desire for everyone over at Chrysler to start this reintroduction on the right foot.

The cliche' 'fix it again tony" needs to be squashed with authority I believe if this brand is going to have a strong hold here.

cmj912
05-02-2012, 04:38 PM
And to follow up from 500Ways, the dealers who are selling lots of Fiats tend to be the ones with enthusiast-like employees. These have sales people who know about the brand history and the clubs like FLU out there to support it all. The studios that are still acting like the Old Chrysler dealers are also not selling cars and don't seem to care.

I could not agree more.

A representative from FIAT phoned me today and asked me to both rate my general satisfaction with the car and invite me for a "complimentary detailing and multi-point inspection of my vehicle".
This person was aware that I was just in for a routine maintenance visit but he wanted to still offer the wash 'n' walk around.
Did I have questions about the car? Its maintenance or operation?
I could discuss this during my visit, while my car was washed and I had a snack and they made sure I was good with my vehicle.

Sadly, I declined. Much as I'd like to go have a fireside chat with the FIAT folk this would be taking place at the Dodge/Chrysler/RAM place across the street. Never been fun.

I told him that I love my car very much - but no thank you - I enjoy washing it myself and as for a multi-point inspection at my local Studio I just got an oil change from "the Dodge dealer" and was not impressed so - uh - see Thad's comment above.

As for questions and issues, I've answered most of those by being on this forum and my Studio's disinterest is killing my buzz.

Your experiences may vary.

Thad
05-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Eli: ..... I have never been involved with such an enthusiastic niche of car buyers. I have learned a ton, in just a short while of overseeing these forums.
Jonathan, I invite you to come to the FIAT FreakOut convention in August and experience what happens when SEVERAL HUNDRED like minded FIAT fans get together in person!

FiatCares
05-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Jonathan, I invite you to come to the FIAT FreakOut convention in August and experience what happens when SEVERAL HUNDRED like minded FIAT fans get together in person!

Thand: That would be an absolute blast.. wish I could go.. I think I would have a hard time convincing my "higher-ups" to fund it for me, but it would be great to meet all of you.

BillE
05-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Check your tire pressures, my car seemed darty, the rear tires has 41psi and the fronts about the same, tech must have forgotten to set tire pressures at PDI. Makes a world a difference. Should be 38psi F 30 (or32?)psi R

My steering seemed a bit imprecise at moderate speeds (moderate because I'm still breaking it in), a bit wandering I'd say (your 'darty' term applies too). I found all four tire pressures to be 41 psi....same as yours. I might guess they're shipping from the factory at 41 and, like you said, some PDI people aren't checking/setting correctly.

So I set them to the recommended psi: 38 Front, 32 Rear. Lots better but I still think the car moves slightly to the left when accelerating and to the right when letting off the gas. Anyone else experience this?

SeaDawg
05-03-2012, 09:07 PM
\I found all four tire pressures to be 41 psi....same as yours. I might guess they're shipping from the factory at 41 and, like you said, some PDI people aren't checking/setting correctly.

Yes, that is the factory pressure. My regular 500 was delivered last year by my selling dealer the same way. It was like driving a cat on a hot tin roof for the 3 hr trip home.

For those of you who haven't gotten yours yet, take a tire pressure gage and check them BEFORE you leave the dealer.

Fiat411
05-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Thand: That would be an absolute blast.. wish I could go.. I think I would have a hard time convincing my "higher-ups" to fund it for me, but it would be great to meet all of you.

Jonathan,

Maybe we can contact someone at Fiat on your behalf. I think it would be a brilliant business move for Fiat to send you, and possibly a few of your fellow care specialist to the Freakout. It would send a clear message to the Fiat community and potential new customers that 'Fiat Cares'. Brand loyalty is everything in business, and something that few auto manufactures can claim. Through your participation in this forum and events like the Fiat Freakout, Fiat has a real opportunity to achieve the level of brand loyalty that Apple commands from its customers. As a former advertising executive, I know from personal experiance that this level of care and service can make a lasting impact to a companies bottom line.

Fiat411
05-03-2012, 10:16 PM
If I can chime in on this I can tell you this. I owned 3 PT Cruisers built in the same Toluca plant that is now building 500s. My first was ordered by me and the wait was just like what you are all going through now. From what I remember that car had a few small issues like loose trim and missing or fallen out clips. My other two were built later 03 GT and an 04 Dream Cruiser they were better. I think some of this may be a little bit new model growing pains and a little bit rushed production to get them out. Lets just hope it is not from the Chrysler Fiat Marriage. I am hoping this merger brings out the best of both companies not the worst!

I agree that 1.0 versions of anything come with bugs, but some of these issues should have been caught during product development / before the car left the factory. Also, I don't know that the Abarth fully qualifies as a 1.0 version, since it is largely based on the Fiat 500 which has been in production for over a year at the Mexico plant. The missing plugs, and poorly centered logos on the 17' wheels, and separating side skirts show a lack of attention to detail I find concerning. This a car, not an iPod. I'm begging to wonder if this lack of attention to detail will show up in other areas of the car in future that could be much more serious .

cspak71
05-04-2012, 12:03 PM
I agree that 1.0 versions of anything come with bugs, but some of these issues should have been caught during product development / before the car left the factory. Also, I don't know that the Abarth fully qualifies as a 1.0 version, since it is largely based on the Fiat 500 which has been in production for over a year at the Mexico plant. The missing plugs, and poorly centered logos on the 17' wheels, and separating side skirts show a lack of attention to detail.

Hey, Chrysler had to have some part in all this. :)

FiatGusto
05-04-2012, 12:47 PM
From a retired business person in customer relations, the idea of Jonathan attending the FIAT Freakout is a superb idea.
He would meet folks with a very positive outlook but also with very strong feelings about how to make the brand better.
What an opportunity !!!!!

EliRider
05-04-2012, 01:44 PM
+1

From a retired business person in customer relations, the idea of Jonathan attending the FIAT Freakout is a superb idea.
He would meet folks with a very positive outlook but also with very strong feelings about how to make the brand better.
What an opportunity !!!!!

Fiat411
05-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Regarding the minor issues that are beginning to crop up; it reflects a lack of attention to detail in Fiat's manufacturing process and part sourcing. I'm beginning to wonder if this lack of attention to detail will show up in other areas of the car in future that could be much more serious.

SeaDawg
05-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Regarding the minor issues that are beginning to crop up; it reflects a lack of attention to detail in Fiat's manufacturing process and part sourcing. I'm beginning to wonder if this lack of attention to detail will show up in other areas of the car in future that could be much more serious.

Let me say up front that I AM aware of the problem with your intercooler hose clamps. So far you are the only 'lucky' one.:distress:

If you are referring to the MECHANICAL integrity of the drive train, I think you are creating boogey men where there aren't any. My regular 500 will be one year old (from purchase date) next Friday. It was actually built in February of 2011. I had a problem with the drivers side side skirt (cladding). NOTHING MECHANICAL has experienced failure. I'll be taking it in for it's 2nd oil change and related maintenance May 11.

The best advice I can think of is DO NOT drive it like people do American cars. That is, drive them till they break without any maintenance and then complain about how unreliable they are. Follow the maintenance schedule and your vehicle will reward you with years of pleasurable service. If you don't that PITA will become more real than you imagined.

500ways
05-05-2012, 12:08 AM
Let me say up front that I AM aware of the problem with your intercooler hose clamps. So far you are the only 'lucky' one.:distress:

If you are referring to the MECHANICAL integrity of the drive train, I think you are creating boogey men where there aren't any. My regular 500 will be one year old (from purchase date) next Friday. It was actually built in February of 2011. I had a problem with the drivers side side skirt (cladding). NOTHING MECHANICAL has experienced failure. I'll be taking it in for it's 2nd oil change and related maintenance May 11.

The best advice I can think of is DO NOT drive it like people do American cars. That is, drive them till they break without any maintenance and then complain about how unreliable they are. Follow the maintenance schedule and your vehicle will reward you with years of pleasurable service. If you don't that PITA will become more real than you imagined.

Same here. Almost 8 months of ownership with 10,200 miles on the clock with NO mechanical problems - zero. Just as tight and smooth as the day I picked it up. I drive it every day, my commute has been transformed into a pleasing experience, and like a bottle of fine wine, the car gets better as it ages.

I do understand your trepidation, however. The issues that are cropping up with some of these initial Abarth deliveries should not be occurring - period. Come on, loose clamps, side cladding peeling away, small trim pieces missing. This is careless. Maybe they are in a rush to get the cars to market because they didn't foresee the demand, but even so, these oversights are poor.

I do believe they will stand behind the car and definitely want the North American return to work.

However, they need to get back on track fast. Remember, it only takes a few minutes to make a good impression, but sometimes a lifetime to make up for a bad one.

Fiat411
05-05-2012, 12:29 AM

There are other issues. However, they are unique to my car, and I did not think it was fair to air them on this forum because I feel that it would not be fair to Fiat. My car is an extreme case, and I don't want people to run with my issues and create blog-legend about the overall quality of Fiat products. The issues that I listed in the forum, are for the most part, the same problems that many others on the forum have raised.

This is a new car, so this is not an issue of poor maintenance. My issues, and the others talked about on this forum point to a lack of attention to detail on Fiats part in their manufacturing plants. This will hurt Fiat in the long run if it is not addressed. I've been around the auto industry for a long time, I know what an acceptable flaws in a 1.0 version of a car looks like. Some of the issues talked about on this forum are beyond that mark. As an example, side skirts separating from the car, and miss aligned logos, slow clocks, and miss aligned center caps are obvious flaws that should be caught during product development or before leaving the plant. And they are also the kinds of flaws that will turn away buyers when brought to light by auto magazines.

Like it or not, the US market is unforgiving, and expectations for quality out of the gate are very high. It is a cliché, but first impressions make and break car brands. Overall, Fiat's first impression has been great, but it is slipping. Lets hope has sales and visibility of the Fiat 500 increase, that Fiat continues to step its game.

I'm a huge Fiat Fan. I wan't Fiat to be successful here in the U.S.. I want to buy a third Fiat when the 500x hits dealers.

Bottom line: Fiat put these cars through a 2 million plus miles of road testing. Many of these issues were likely discovered during road test, but not address in manufacturing.

SeaDawg
05-05-2012, 01:15 AM
There are other issues. However, they are unique to my car, and I did not think it was fair to air them on this forum because I feel that it would not be fair to Fiat. My car is an extreme case, and I don't want people to run with my issues and create blog-legend about the overall quality of Fiat products. The issues that I listed in the forum, are for the most part, the same problems that many others on the forum have raised.

Like it or not, the US market is unforgiving, and expectations for quality out of the gate are very high. It is a cliché, but first impressions make and break car brands. Overall, Fiat's first impression has been great, but it is slipping. Lets hope has sales and visibility of the Fiat 500 increase, that Fiat continues to step its game.

I'm a huge Fiat Fan. I wan't Fiat to be successful here in the U.S.. I want to buy a third Fiat when the 500x hits dealers.

Bottom line: Fiat put these cars through a 2 million plus miles of road testing. Many of these issues were likely discovered during road test, but not address in manufacturing.

I agree that FIAT has build quality issues with regard to their body integrity and YES by now those issues should have been resolved for good. I sometimes wonder how FIAT secures the cladding on European models. I used to read regularly in 500fans.com which is 99% about European FIAT 500's and Abarth's and I don't recall ever reading about issues with the cladding, side skirts or whatever you want to call them seperating from the body. To compound the problem the Studios appear to just be washing/waxing and doing the windows and not following a checklist or if they are, not correcting anything they find wrong before the end customer takes delivery.

I'm afraid you'll hear more about something as minute as fly tracks on the windshield of a newly delivered FIAT in these forums than the good things like umpteen thousand miles without problems, although there are a couple of people who post praise of the reliability of their vehicles and at least one of them is a Prima, with over 30,000 miles, which is now up for sale so they can purchase an Abarth.

I suspect those road test vehicles were preproduction and had a lot of tender loving handbuilt care in them so mass production issues weren't necessarily likely to surface.

Good luck in getting resolution to your problems and DO enjoy your FIAT/Abarth!

Fiat411
05-05-2012, 01:23 AM
Thanks! My dealer (Fiat of Alexandria) conducted a through inspection of the car and pointed out most of the issues that I have discussed in the forum on their own. In fact their were a few things that I probably would have overlooked had they not pointed them out to me. Fiat of Alexandria is superb.

Fiat500USA
05-05-2012, 01:47 AM
About the side skirts, here is some interesting information. This DOES NOT come from Fiat headquarters or engineers, but is an observation from a dealer. It seems that some cars are strapped down on the car carrier in such a way that the straps press against the bottom of the skirts and this can stress or pucker the top part of the skirt. This method of strapping has been changed and the cars are now strapped down via the wheels. This has eliminated a lot of the problems. Could it be that some car carrier drivers are still strapping cars down the old way? Sounds plausible.

Also, from my observation of being involved with the Prima deliveries here on the forum, some of the very first production cars had some issues. Most, if not all, fell under the annoyance category. Within weeks of the deliveries of the cars, I had the opportunity to meet with people involved in the 500 project and gave them feedback on concerns gleaned from this forum. Many of these issues had already been identified and had changes in the works.

Rest assured this stuff we are talking about doesn't fall on deaf ears. Compared to the old ways of doing things before Fiat management, Chrysler has implemented procedures to quickly identify issues and then act immediately on them. Before, there would have to be a seemingly endless amount of meetings to get the right people together to get things done and time frames typically could run 6 months. Now, regular meetings are held with all departments participating so when something comes up, all the players are there to address the issue. I have a lot of confidence that they will quickly get a handle on any issue . They have a lot of blood and sweat invested.

EliRider
05-05-2012, 09:01 AM
This is my belief as well and the reason why I decided to post this thread.

To Fiat Management. Please consider two things...

1) For the first year production, extend the bumper to bumper warrantee at no cost
2) Provide incentives for the Studios to perform a comprehensive inspection to cover known issues/concerns

Respectively, us first N. America beta testers for the Abarth

About the side skirts, here is some interesting information. This DOES NOT come from Fiat headquarters or engineers, but is an observation from a dealer. It seems that some cars are strapped down on the car carrier in such a way that the straps press against the bottom of the skirts and this can stress or pucker the top part of the skirt. This method of strapping has been changed and the cars are now strapped down via the wheels. This has eliminated a lot of the problems. Could it be that some car carrier drivers are still strapping cars down the old way? Sounds plausible.

Also, from my observation of being involved with the Prima deliveries here on the forum, some of the very first production cars had some issues. Most, if not all, fell under the annoyance category. Within weeks of the deliveries of the cars, I had the opportunity to meet with people involved in the 500 project and gave them feedback on concerns gleaned from this forum. Many of these issues had already been identified and had changes in the works.

Rest assured this stuff we are talking about doesn't fall on deaf ears. Compared to the old ways of doing things before Fiat management, Chrysler has implemented procedures to quickly identify issues and then act immediately on them. Before, there would have to be a seemingly endless amount of meetings to get the right people together to get things done and time frames typically could run 6 months. Now, regular meetings are held with all departments participating so when something comes up, all the players are there to address the issue. I have a lot of confidence that they will quickly get a handle on any issue . They have a lot of blood and sweat invested.

Fiat411
05-05-2012, 09:29 AM
This is my belief as well and the reason why I decided to post this thread.

To Fiat Management. Please consider two things...

1) For the first year production, extend the bumper to bumper warrantee at no cost
2) Provide incentives for the Studios to perform a comprehensive inspection to cover known issues/concerns

Respectively, us first N. America beta testers for the Abarth

I agree, extend the bumper to bumper warranty, and add the three years scheduled maintenance, towing and trip interuption option that came with the first wave of Fiat 500s.

RoosterX19
05-05-2012, 10:11 PM
2 weeks in and I've come up with a few things about the car that A.) could've done better and B.) might be an issue.

1. Lug bolts. Come on, I know Abarth & Co. where into racing and it was function over form, but easily a quick fix. The more I look at them the more it catches my eyes.
2. Rear view mirror. Simple and functional, but no auto dim?
3. drivers seat squeaks. Not sure if it's "loose" but it only squeaks when I shift driving positions.
4. High idle. At idle, car is almost at 1krpm. Is this normal?
5. Cut in the 2 o'clock position of the steering wheel. Studio has ordered a new steering wheel and will replace.
6. Tom-Tom's - Haven't received mine and no work when I will.

I know a few of these are trivial, I'm more concerned with the idle issue. Other than those few things, the car really is very well put together and performs flawlessly.

DCAbarth
05-05-2012, 10:28 PM
2 weeks in and I've come up with a few things about the car that A.) could've done better and B.) might be an issue.

1. Lug bolts. Come on, I know Abarth & Co. where into racing and it was function over form, but easily a quick fix. The more I look at them the more it catches my eyes.
3. drivers seat squeaks. Not sure if it's "loose" but it only squeaks when I shift driving positions.
4. High idle. At idle, car is almost at 1krpm. Is this normal?
5. Cut in the 2 o'clock position of the steering wheel. Studio has ordered a new steering wheel and will replace.
6. Tom-Tom's - Haven't received mine and no work when I will.

I know a few of these are trivial, I'm more concerned with the idle issue. Other than those few things, the car really is very well put together and performs flawlessly.

I'm totally with you on #2!

cmj912
05-06-2012, 01:02 PM
I agree that FIAT has build quality issues with regard to their body integrity and YES by now those issues should have been resolved for good. I sometimes wonder how FIAT secures the cladding on European models. I used to read regularly in 500fans.com which is 99% about European FIAT 500's and Abarth's and I don't recall ever reading about issues with the cladding, side skirts or whatever you want to call them seperating from the body. To compound the problem the Studios appear to just be washing/waxing and doing the windows and not following a checklist or if they are, not correcting anything they find wrong before the end customer takes delivery.

I'm afraid you'll hear more about something as minute as fly tracks on the windshield of a newly delivered FIAT in these forums than the good things like umpteen thousand miles without problems, although there are a couple of people who post praise of the reliability of their vehicles and at least one of them is a Prima, with over 30,000 miles, which is now up for sale so they can purchase an Abarth.

I suspect those road test vehicles were preproduction and had a lot of tender loving handbuilt care in them so mass production issues weren't necessarily likely to surface.

Good luck in getting resolution to your problems and DO enjoy your FIAT/Abarth!

I have to chime in with a +1 on this. My car was built in March of 2011, just underwent oil change #2 and nothing above a minor annoyance has happened with it.

In fact, yesterday when the car was being aligned and the tires rotated the mechanic told me he was impressed how high quality the parts used on the car seem to be. The guy who drove it back and forth from the garage bay said to me he felt like it wasn't going "to feel solid" but he was impressed that it did.

Fiat411
05-06-2012, 07:50 PM

Hard to believe, but the auto dim rear view mirror is optional on every 500 except the lounge. I have an auto dim mirror on order.

Fiat411
05-06-2012, 07:52 PM
By the way, how do you change your signature block in the forum. My wife changed mine, how can I change it back?

wachuko
05-06-2012, 07:55 PM
By the way, how do you change your signature block in the forum. My wife changed mine, how can I change it back?

click on Settings (upper right hand corner of the screen)

click on Change Signature

DCAbarth
05-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Hard to believe, but the auto dim rear view mirror is optional on every 500 except the lounge. I have an auto dim mirror on order.

Did you order it through the Studio?

johniew398
05-06-2012, 10:01 PM

These comments/complaints are great for me. I will be looking over my Abarth carefully for similar problems and not taking delivery if I find these issues, that is until they are fixed. THANKS.

SeaDawg
05-07-2012, 12:41 AM

If he did the cost was probably a choice between an arm and a leg or his 1st born male child. I think I heard around $400 once.

Thad
05-07-2012, 08:41 AM

I don't know about this. I am one who is Very very happy with my car built Jan 2011 and delivered March 2011. I had identified the problem with the slow clock by April 2011 and reported it to both my local Studio and a certain engineering head of FIAT. 20K miles and over a year later, and I'm still waiting for a resolution.

cmj912
05-07-2012, 08:56 AM
I don't know about this. I am one who is Very very happy with my car built Jan 2011 and delivered March 2011. I had identified the problem with the slow clock by April 2011 and reported it to both my local Studio and a certain engineering head of FIAT. 20K miles and over a year later, and I'm still waiting for a resolution.

The bizarre thing is when my car was new the clock was losing about a minute per week.

The last time I reset the clock was when we "sprang forward" for summer time and the minutes were not off at all. (?)

pchop
05-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Just want to add mine:

Check Engine Light @ 170 miles: DTCode P04AC
The light went out after I "wiggled" the battery connectors which both seems tightly connected.

EliRider
05-07-2012, 11:17 AM
The bizarre thing is when my car was new the clock was losing about a minute per week.

I must be fortunate... my clock is keeping accurate time... dang... hoping I had a few more minutes of driving - unfortunately I can not blame my clock. :-)

cspak71
05-07-2012, 01:39 PM

Maybe you're driving so fast, you're going back in time. "Marty!!!! Doc!!!!"

TimAllen
05-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Im pretty sure this is normal but just to check, does everyone elses abarth Reach 18psi in sport mode but drop off to about 16 or so well still giving full power? like it doesn't hold exactly 18 psi?

pchop
05-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Im pretty sure this is normal but just to check, does everyone elses abarth Reach 18psi in sport mode but drop off to about 16 or so well still giving full power? like it doesn't hold exactly 18 psi?

Mine reaches 18 Psi under hard acceleration then drops off...if I stare at the boost gauge long enough, it makes me dizzy.

pchop
05-08-2012, 12:57 AM
I discovered this tonight with the radio:

if you press the left and right arrow on the radio too fast, instead of advancing the frequency in the direction you want, it will do the opposite.

Spruce
05-09-2012, 07:22 PM
At 487 miles after 72 hours of ownership the check engine light came on. I took it to a dealer 264 miles from home as I was on a road trip.The dealer found, and I have an exploded mechanics diagram of the intake manifold, item #3 purge hose part #04627466AA, has a T assembly in it which had been installed backwards. This T assembly is valved and will only flow 1 way. since it was backwards, it didn't allow flow. I don't have the part # for the T yet or the computer trouble code that was seen. The regional Fiat Rep was involved as well as engineers. I was told that a bulletin would go out on this issue to all dealers. That's all I know for now, the dealer was terriffic regarding this issue. I have my car back.

Fiat411
05-09-2012, 09:04 PM
At 487 miles after 72 hours of ownership the check engine light came on. I took it to a dealer 264 miles from home as I was on a road trip.The dealer found, and I have an exploded mechanics diagram of the intake manifold, item #3 purge hose part #04627466AA, has a T assembly in it which had been installed backwards. This T assembly is valved and will only flow 1 way. since it was backwards, it didn't allow flow. I don't have the part # for the T yet or the computer trouble code that was seen. The regional Fiat Rep was involved as well as engineers. I was told that a bulletin would go out on this issue to all dealers. That's all I know for now, the dealer was terriffic regarding this issue. I have my car back.

Wow. I feel like we are all beta testers. It is concerning the number of quality control issue that are poping up with Fiat. My Abarth was delivered with a host of problems. My Studio has done a great job helping me address the problems. I also reported these issues to corporate, and they didn't care. I hope we are not seeing the beginning of the end of a great car. If Fiat doesn't get its act together soon, these issues are going to bite them in the read end.

Fiat411
05-09-2012, 09:05 PM

Yep.

Fiat411
05-09-2012, 09:09 PM
These comments/complaints are great for me. I will be looking over my Abarth carefully for similar problems and not taking delivery if I find these issues, that is until they are fixed. THANKS.

If you find anything major, like missing clamps on the intercooler do not except delivery of the car until it is fixed. My parts are on back order. I haven't been able to drive my car for almost two weeks. Worse, I've had to pay for a rental car out of my own pocket.

Abarth01
05-09-2012, 09:29 PM

Other than the CEL that was thrown, was there any other indications of something not right?

Spruce
05-10-2012, 05:03 PM
Other than the CEL that was thrown, was there any other indications of something not right?

I didn't notice anything. I'd only driven it for a few days though. Now that I have it back, I still don't notice anything different. Now, I really havn't got "on" the car yet, maybe I'd have noticed something then.

Abarth500
05-10-2012, 07:28 PM
I just got my Abarth last Saturday. I keep seeing windshield washer fluid on my rear bumper. Must be leaking into the trunk from the rear wiper.

bryanintowson
05-10-2012, 08:33 PM
If you find anything major, like missing clamps on the intercooler do not except delivery of the car until it is fixed. My parts are on back order. I haven't been able to drive my car for almost two weeks. Worse, I've had to pay for a rental car out of my own pocket.

You should *not* have to pay for that. PM FIATCares (Jonathan) and get him working on it. It's absurd that your car was so poorly constructed and YOU are forced to pay. Do not sit down for that. Go above your Studio ASAP before the bill racks up even worse.

cspak71
05-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Wow. I feel like we are all beta testers. It is concerning the number of quality control issue that are poping up with Fiat. My Abarth was delivered with a host of problems. My Studio has done a great job helping me address the problems. I also reported these issues to corporate, and they didn't care. I hope we are not seeing the beginning of the end of a great car. If Fiat doesn't get its act together soon, these issues are going to bite them in the read end.

Sad to see this... it seems that the bad reputation that Fiat had many years ago might be following them. Fiat might become a four-letter-word, if corporate doesn't quickly resolve and polish up these issues.

bryanintowson
05-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Sad to see this... it seems that the bad reputation that Fiat had many years ago might be following them. Fiat might become a four-letter-word, if corporate doesn't quickly resolve and polish up these issues.

There was recently an article in the WSJ that talked about how Chrysler was pouring money and effort into improving its quality. They made no mention of the FIAT being built in their Toluca, MX factory. I'd like to believe them and I'd also like to think that those of us who are having issues are the noisy minority. Let's hope for our sake that we don't end up like SAAB owners...

Crap, I hope I didn't jinx us all just then. :P

EliRider
05-10-2012, 09:47 PM
A few others have reported the same issue not only on their Abarth but on other 500s as well.
Mine does this and hope to have it addressed during my first service.
Actually I'm going to request a full inspection be performed of known issues with the Studio Service department.

I just got my Abarth last Saturday. I keep seeing windshield washer fluid on my rear bumper. Must be leaking into the trunk from the rear wiper.

wachuko
05-10-2012, 10:33 PM

I wonder if this is because they forgot to install a check valve back there... so much grief for a 6.00 part... Anyone that has opened their hatch to look can confirm if this is a faulty check valve or a missing one?

http://www.z1motorsports.com/imagemagic.php?img=images/Z32HoodSprayerCheckValve.jpg

johniew398
05-10-2012, 11:07 PM
I hate to see the issues on the Abarth; but, I'm appreciative of everyone posting any problems they have found. I don't want to pick mine up until they have verified the clamp on the intercooler. Mine is coming in next week (it's off the train in Kansas City) so i sent an email to my salesman a few minutes ago.

-----Original Message-----
To: xxx
Sent: Thu, May 10, 2012 6:19 pm
Subject: Re: Abarth order

Absolutely

-------Original Message-------
Sent: 5/10/2012 5:41 pm
To: xxx
Subject: Re: Abarth order

xxxx,

It seems that some Abarths are missing a clamp on the left intercooler hose.

Can we have that checked when mine is prepped for delivery?

VTEC Mini
05-11-2012, 01:26 AM
Wow. I feel like we are all beta testers. It is concerning the number of quality control issue that are poping up with Fiat. My Abarth was delivered with a host of problems. My Studio has done a great job helping me address the problems. I also reported these issues to corporate, and they didn't care. I hope we are not seeing the beginning of the end of a great car. If Fiat doesn't get its act together soon, these issues are going to bite them in the read end.Another reason why I am waiting..... I feel bad for those especially who bought with added mark up....

zangonli
05-13-2012, 02:31 AM
I just picked up a black one last night, and I have had a huge smile on my face since. But I just noticed the tachometer needle settles down to 2500 at idle, not 1000 (but am pretty sure the engine is idling properly, at a less than 1000.) Now, I thought just for a second that this could be new way to induce slightly early upshifts during break in..:devilish:

mudking
05-18-2012, 07:52 AM
Picked mine up Monday,
1)a Factory Paint Fubar!!! There is a Speck on the My Roof that is Portruding up enough to notice, and it is probably about 1/4inch in diameter, they will be fixing this in the next coming weeks, but there was no way I Was not leaving with this CAR!!...2)Tire Pressure was off,41psi on all 4.....and 3)their Detailing, well, I guess I just have higher standards, which I will Apply to the Car this Weekend, if Rain Permits....

Mortgageman
05-23-2012, 11:50 AM
I picked up my Abarth on May 20th. I drove it back from Edmonton to Calgary on May 21. I made sure to vary my speed along the way. I noticed within the city the psi would not go above 12 in either sport or non sport mode. on the highway the psi would not go above 7.

About half way through the trip the "check engine light" went off. Once I got back to Calgary I left the car at one of the local Fiat dealers and I am awaiting their response.

Within the city limits I would hear a whoshing sound as the tubo charged up. (sounds vaguely like a whirl pool) I assumed this was normal.

Just FYI.

TMC Motorsport
05-31-2012, 06:34 AM
I picked up my Abarth on May 20th. I drove it back from Edmonton to Calgary on May 21. I made sure to vary my speed along the way. I noticed within the city the psi would not go above 12 in either sport or non sport mode. on the highway the psi would not go above 7.

About half way through the trip the "check engine light" went off. Once I got back to Calgary I left the car at one of the local Fiat dealers and I am awaiting their response.

Within the city limits I would hear a whoshing sound as the tubo charged up. (sounds vaguely like a whirl pool) I assumed this was normal.

Just FYI.

Sounds like you have a boost hose off, it would cause all these symptoms and is easily rectified.

EliRider
06-01-2012, 05:07 AM
Did anybody else experience the rear windshield spray nozzle leak?

And what was the fix (missing or faulty check valve)?

I'm experiencing the same...

BellaFiat
06-01-2012, 08:38 AM

I'm having the same issue as well on hard acceleration. I know it's annoying, but in all reality if that's the only "quirk" I'm fine with that. Having said that, if someone has found a fix, I'd be down for fixing it.

MarkG
06-01-2012, 09:47 AM
I picked up my car Memorial Day. Drove home on the back roads to break it in. I had a tough time keeping it under 4K. The car has been GREAT. I did notice that according to Insight it spent a long time in final inspection, so maybe our concerns are being met. Car officially broken in yesterday, did a ECS OFF, SPORT ON launch in front of my neighbors house last night=two black stripes 3 foot long!

bryanintowson
06-01-2012, 09:47 AM
I'm having the same issue as well on hard acceleration. I know it's annoying, but in all reality if that's the only "quirk" I'm fine with that. Having said that, if someone has found a fix, I'd be down for fixing it.

Agree! I saw before that it was recommended to install a check valve in the line however, no one ever posted a tutorial on how to actually do it. I wouldn't even know where to begin!

johniew398
06-01-2012, 11:36 PM
I wonder if this is because they forgot to install a check valve back there... so much grief for a 6.00 part... Anyone that has opened their hatch to look can confirm if this is a faulty check valve or a missing one?

http://www.z1motorsports.com/imagemagic.php?img=images/Z32HoodSprayerCheckValve.jpg

Out of all the things mentioned this is the only one I have noticed. I have had my Abarth now for about three weeks and have about 325 miles on it.

Going to check for that valve tomorrow.

Forgot, yes the tire pressures were all 40 PSI, don't know why since they have the pressures posted on the door frame like all vehicles.

EliRider
06-01-2012, 11:53 PM
The upper rear window inside panel was a little tricky to remove but viewing the back of the nozzle I did not see a check value.

2383 2384 2385

Now that I see how the window brake light works I may get the Pulsar control from 500 Madness.
http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=37_71&product_id=143

EliRider
06-04-2012, 06:32 PM
This was in the general Fiat 500 Forum...

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?3957-Rear-Window-Washer-Fluid-Seep

There is a check valve in the washer nozzle. Sounds like it is leaking. Here is all you ever wanted to know about the washer nozzle ;) :

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-qC7YFpy6898/TnobqYK9AoI/AAAAAAAAJSQ/8VJSJkVn18k/s800/Fiat_500_Washer_Nozzle.jpg

The fluidic rear washer nozzle (1) is constructed of molded plastic and includes an integral check valve. The rear washer nozzle is secured by two integral latch features (4) within a dedicated mounting hole located in the outer liftgate panel above the liftgate glass opening.

The outer dome of the washer nozzle is visible on the outside of the liftgate and a rubber gasket (3) on the back of the nozzle seals the nozzle to the outer liftgate panel. The nozzle orifice (2) is oriented downwards towards the liftgate glass. The washer plumbing fitting (5) is concealed between the liftgate outer and inner panels. Within the rear nozzle body, a small check ball is held against an integral valve seat at the inlet end of the nozzle by a small coiled spring.

The rear washer nozzle and check valve unit cannot be adjusted or repaired. If ineffective or damaged, the entire nozzle and check valve unit must be replaced.

Operation
The rear washer nozzle is designed to dispense washer fluid into the wiper pattern area on the outside of the liftgate glass. Pressurized washer fluid is fed to the nozzle from the washer reservoir by the washer pump/motor unit through a single hose, which is attached to a barbed nipple on the back of the rear washer nozzle. A fluidic matrix within the washer nozzle causes the pressurized washer fluid to be emitted from the nozzle orifice as an oscillating stream to more effectively cover a larger area of the glass to be cleaned.

The integral check valve provides more than one function in this application. It prevents washer fluid from draining out of the rear washer supply hose back to the washer reservoir. This drain-back would result in a lengthy delay from when the rear washer switch is actuated until washer fluid was dispensed through the rear washer nozzle because the washer pump would have to refill the rear washer plumbing from the reservoir to the nozzle. Such a drain-back condition could also result in water, dirt, or other outside contaminants being siphoned into the washer system through the washer nozzle orifice. This water could subsequently freeze and plug the nozzle, while other contaminants could interfere with proper nozzle operation and cause improper nozzle spray patterns. In addition, the rear check valve prevents washer fluid from siphoning out through the rear washer nozzle after the rear washer system is turned OFF.

When the washer pump pressurizes and pumps washer fluid from the reservoir through the rear washer plumbing, the fluid pressure unseats a check ball from a seat within the valve by overriding the pressure applied to the ball within the valve by a small coiled spring. With the check ball unseated, washer fluid is allowed to flow toward the rear washer nozzle. When the rear washer pump stops operating, the spring pressure on the check ball seats the ball in the valve and fluid flow in either direction within the rear washer system plumbing is prevented.

Provided by Chrysler

trevc
06-05-2012, 08:39 AM
I was thinking about ordering a replacement nozzle for my car just to see if it is a bad batch. Mopar part# is 05182497AA. I suspect though that it may be the springs are not strong enough.

FiatCares
06-05-2012, 01:03 PM
This was in the general Fiat 500 Forum...

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?3957-Rear-Window-Washer-Fluid-Seep

Elirider:

Thank you for that info.. very helpful..

EliRider
06-05-2012, 02:38 PM
In addition. It seems there maybe a missing gromet... See picture I posted that seems to show no gromet (not sure if the hole is large enough for a gromet). I'm sure this will not affect the check value unless it is picking up unwanted heat from the metal hole.

Thanks to trevc for part# reference (Mopar part# is 05182497AA)...

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=4437086&ukey_assembly=655572

Even though the chrysler web site shows additional parts to the washer system, it appears that the groment is not used on our Abarths. Hope to verify with my Studio service manager.

Elirider:

Thank you for that info.. very helpful..

Scorpion
06-05-2012, 03:52 PM

Very astute observation. That does sound very plausible. If that's the case, luckily my car only traveled about 10 miles from the railcar to the Studio. So hopefully, that short trip, combined with the aforementioned adjustment to securing the cars on the truck will make sure my side skirts are A-OK.

EliRider
06-07-2012, 01:22 AM
Update: I replaced the rear washer nozzle so the part number is correct. A slight correction, there is a rubber grommet with the part. It was a little tricky to remove and reinstall the new part.

1. Remove the rear inside panel (pop off the 2 plastic caps and unscrew the screws - note the screws will remain with the panel). The ends of the panel simply pops off by gently bowing the panel (the groove moves from the outside inward). Disconnect the rear light and store panel.

2. Gently pull the hose off of the nozzle.

3. Remove the nozzle by gently pressing the wing tabs inward with a flat screwdriver and then pressing the nozzle up. Nozzle is easily removed from the outside area under the rear air foil.

4. Install the replacement nozzle. I tied a long string to the tube end of the nozzle to help guide the nozzle in place. Ended up using tweezers to guide the string in the outside hole. The nozzle only installs one way (metal ball side up and spray nozzle down). Once the nozzle is in place (I needed a flashlight to ensure it was ready), then reach inside and gently pull on the nozzle tube until the wing clips snap in place. This part was a little tricky - just take your time and make sure everything is lined up properly

5. Remove the string and install the washer tube on nozzle, shut the hatch lid and test the washer system. I actually drove the car without the backup light/panel installed to see if I could determine if the washer nozzle leaked. Once satisfied, clean the inside of the window then reassemble the rear brake light and panel in place.

So far so good. I will keep my fingers crossed for no leaks. I'll report later if the replacement part did the trick. I did inspect both nozzles as it was unclear how the relief value actually works. I plan to give the old nozzle to my service department so that they can send it in for inspection.

Some of you that are encountering this issue, might want to first explore by removing the washer tubing and gently blow-out the nozzle from the inside out. Perhaps by removing the tubing may generate the right level of back pressure to prevent it from leaking.

If you have any questions and interested, PM me. Hope you find this helpful.

In addition. It seems there maybe a missing gromet... See picture I posted that seems to show no gromet (not sure if the hole is large enough for a gromet). I'm sure this will not affect the check value unless it is picking up unwanted heat from the metal hole.

Thanks to trevc for part# reference (Mopar part# is 05182497AA)...

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=4437086&ukey_assembly=655572

Even though the chrysler web site shows additional parts to the washer system, it appears that the groment is not used on our Abarths. Hope to verify with my Studio service manager.

Evelyn Salt
06-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Forgot, yes the tire pressures were all 40 PSI, don't know why since they have the pressures posted on the door frame like all vehicles.

Tires are filled with more Psi because car maybe in a lot/storage months before gettin sold,and they don't want tires to be flat/low on air

SeaDawg
06-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Tires are filled with more Psi because car maybe in a lot/storage months before gettin sold,and they don't want tires to be flat/low on air

You are correct, but part of the Pre Delivery Inspection should be checking the air pressure in all tires and adjusting to values listed on driver's side door jamb.

FiatCares
06-08-2012, 09:24 AM
You are correct, but part of the Pre Delivery Inspection should be checking the air pressure in all tires and adjusting to values listed on driver's side door jamb.

I have to agree. 40psi seems to be standard, despite what the inner driver door states. I ran into the same issue when I got a flat tire. At the time all my tires (staggered) were showing 40psi as it came from the dealership, but Discount Tire (who were great by the way) filled the patched tire with 32psi because they could only go by the sticker. I ended up filling it up to 40psi to match the other three. With the crazy ups and downs of temperature in MI, I like to have more psi, than less. If not, after a cool night, it looks like I have a flat.

EliRider
06-13-2012, 11:34 PM
Thought I'd provide an update regarding replacement of the rear washer nozzle... I've tried hard to influence the rear washer nozzle to leak but so far it's holding it own.

It is a strange design, and hope this is now resolved.

Update: So far so good. I will keep my fingers crossed for no leaks. I'll report later if the replacement part did the trick

FiatCares
06-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Thought I'd provide an update regarding replacement of the rear washer nozzle... I've tried hard to influence the rear washer nozzle to leak but so far it's holding it own.

It is a strange design, and hope this is now resolved.

Eli: Great news.. and thanks again for the repair procedure.. Ive saved it.. let me know if the leak resurfaces.. Have a great weekend if I dont talk with ya.

EliRider
06-14-2012, 07:28 PM
I knew as soon as I reported everything ok that ... In Portland today, it was our first nice sunny day in a while as the outside temperature reported ~73F while sitting at my work parking lot. Taking off from a flat stop, the washer started to leak again... but as the outside temperature lowered to ~69F by driving into the wooded areas I could not get it to leak.

ugh... as earlier reported, I seem to notice this issue during nicer weather. Wondering if others are seeing this.

Jonathan, actually the nozzle has a very strange design... there is a small metal ball on the top side of the nozzle that seems to be stuck and does not float. I wonder if the ball should float up and down. Can you look into this as my service manager is not sure what is causing this problem. :-(

Eli: Great news.. and thanks again for the repair procedure.. Ive saved it.. let me know if the leak resurfaces.. Have a great weekend if I dont talk with ya.

jgcabarth
06-14-2012, 11:06 PM
Hi

Is anyone having a rattle and sqweak on the trunk door?

FiatCares
06-15-2012, 10:05 AM
I knew as soon as I reported everything ok that ... In Portland today, it was our first nice sunny day in a while as the outside temperature reported ~73F while sitting at my work parking lot. Taking off from a flat stop, the washer started to leak again... but as the outside temperature lowered to ~69F by driving into the wooded areas I could not get it to leak.

ugh... as earlier reported, I seem to notice this issue during nicer weather. Wondering if others are seeing this.

Jonathan, actually the nozzle has a very strange design... there is a small metal ball on the top side of the nozzle that seems to be stuck and does not float. I wonder if the ball should float up and down. Can you look into this as my service manager is not sure what is causing this problem. :-(

Eli: I definitely will.. would you mind PM'ing your VIN and servicing studio to me? I will create a corporate file w/ the works...

FiatCares
06-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Hi

Is anyone having a rattle and sqweak on the trunk door?

Not that I have heard, but how bad is it? If your dealer is a long distance away, Im hoping a squeak or rattle can be self diagnosed to avoid the trip..

nojeebs
06-15-2012, 06:11 PM
Anyone having paint flaking on their rear badge of their Abarth?

VTEC Mini
06-15-2012, 06:58 PM

Whats with all the Fiat/ Abarth badges coming apart?

Ferrero1911
06-15-2012, 10:42 PM

Is it peeling or leftover sticky stuff from when it was delivered? Mine looked like that when it was delivered and it was just from the protective plastic. I was able to get it off by claying it.

nojeebs
06-16-2012, 04:20 AM
It's the black paint chipping revealing the chrome underneath it. It's not sticky at all. >_____<

06-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Those whos cars came with high tire pressures - doesnt the TPMS warn of this or is it only for low pressures???

Hit 1000km today in first 5 days of ownership and all good here, although its got the turning radius of a limo!!!

SeaDawg
06-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Those whos cars came with high tire pressures - doesnt the TPMS warn of this or is it only for low pressures???

Hit 1000km today in first 5 days of ownership and all good here, although its got the turning radius of a limo!!!

Only LOW tire pressure sets off the EVIC indicator.

cmj912
06-19-2012, 09:08 AM
It's the black paint chipping revealing the chrome underneath it. It's not sticky at all. >_____<

That would annoy the heck out of me.

You ever see an early Saab - say up until about 93? The badges are fine. They are like the standard FIAT badge - the enamel is *under* a thick, solid clear coating. Bubbling aside...(ugh)...but when they are properly made they look great. My second rear FIAT badge is perfect.

Late Saabs, say a 1997-present 9-3 or 9-5 usually has badges that are completely silver because all of the enamel has peeled off.

I wonder if there is a way to protect it (if the Abarth badge is, in fact, going to be a very delicate enamel)? Can they Ventureshield or 3M something that small?

nojeebs
06-19-2012, 11:16 AM
I think you could apply 3M to protect it. I'm guessing for mine that it was a bad prep job on the emblem. I contacted my dealership but they have yet to reply about it being covered. Better be covered.

FiatCares
06-19-2012, 11:22 AM
I think you could apply 3M to protect it. I'm guessing for mine that it was a bad prep job on the emblem. I contacted my dealership but they have yet to reply about it being covered. Better be covered.

I would just take it to the studio to have it replaced under warranty. I haven't seem any claims denied for the same concern as of yet. I wouldn't try to put anything on the emblems if you plan of having the studio check it out because they will deny the claim saying that the part was tampered with ..

cmj912
06-19-2012, 02:27 PM

Yeah, there are a couple of other people who had nicks or dings in the enamel. I meant that perhaps someone could apply something protective to it once it was replaced or fixed, not before.
And yes, it is covered. The regular FIAT badges on other people's cars were replaced right along.

EliRider
06-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Update: No fix available for Rear Window Washer leak. Of course this happens on a nice day when I wash the car.

Took my car into service today for inspection... however the Fiat Tech Services informed my Studio service department that they are aware of the issue but no idea on a fix or eta on when a fix could be in the works.

Personally I believe there is no check valve in the nozzle itself. As you can take a string and guide it through the nozzle with nothing blocking it. Perhaps it would be just easier to install a real check valve right at the nozzle.

Eli: I definitely will.. would you mind PM'ing your VIN and servicing studio to me? I will create a corporate file w/ the works...

FiatGusto
06-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Check valve makes sense. I think somebody on this forum did that very thing.

satellite
06-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Anybody having this issue? Obviously, it's not a big deal, but my car was delivered this way. Doesn't look like it's rubbing just either wearing off due to heat or was not painted properly?

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af249/satellitesrt/photobucket-19841-1340748408199.jpg
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af249/satellitesrt/photobucket-16586-1340748407054.jpg
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af249/satellitesrt/photobucket-12203-1340748403686.jpg

ahh-bert
06-27-2012, 01:13 AM
My engine cover looked just like that when it had 16 miles on the car. I thought I was being picky, but sheesh, that thing is BRAND NEW. I haven't looked since, but hopefully it's not getting worse...

satellite
06-27-2012, 02:05 AM
My engine cover looked just like that when it had 16 miles on the car. I thought I was being picky, but sheesh, that thing is BRAND NEW. I haven't looked since, but hopefully it's not getting worse...

Yeah, I think I'll talk to my dealer about it (just to see). I guess I am picky as well... :-)

Let me know if it's getting worse for you. Mine isn't yet...but like yours it was there when I picked up the car with 11 miles on it.

djchoongjae
07-04-2012, 01:27 PM
All,

I've gone through this thread and a few others and documented as many known issues as I could spot.

I've compiled these issues on the Google doc below that I'm hoping will serve two purposes:
1. Provide a checklist of items for new owners to check for upon delivery of their vehicle
2. Serve as a unified/ organized list for Fiat/ aftermarket shops to review and provide fixes for

I encourage everyone to look through this list and add a count for yourself if you are experiencing any of these issues in your Fiat (or add a new issue that's not on the list). Then reply to this thread, listing your year/ model and the issues you're experiencing (adding additional details below each line item as necessary).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlkH5LC99HvLdHVWU0RjcEp5aUhqblFDa0U2M1R3c EE

"Link to tutorial or photos demonstrating issue"
If you have a workaround/ self-fix that you'd be willing to post a tutorial for, please paste the link in this column
If you took photos that demonstrates more complex issues (such as missing hose clamps on the intercooler), please also paste the link in this column. For simpler issues (like paint damage or scuffs) it would be great if we can share photos in our own replies.

You can add a Link to Tutorial by clicking on the post # at the top right of your post (I would click on #153 here). Copy the URL from the bar and paste it onto the doc.

Hopefully with time, the "Most recent log date" will be a long forgotten day for all of these items :eagerness: Fiat is new to the US and so far I have hope that things will improve.

Below are my tallies:

2012 Fiat Abarth

Rear windshield spray nozzle leaks washer fluid

Missing paint strips on body or badge at delivery
(Missing paint on left-side front bumper where bumper meets fender)

White scuffs on door panels at delivery after detail and PDI (pre-delivery inspection)
(Scuffs on both left and right door panels)

Damaged/ mis-aligned logos
(Protective plastic baked onto rear Abarth badge)

Best,
Eva

Dwaynek
07-05-2012, 12:48 AM
no issue on my engine cover

jguerdat
07-11-2012, 08:24 AM
New owner here, picked mine up from the studio floor after the person who ordered lost his job. A few items:

1) Blue&Me sucks. Microsoft vs. Android? I've had issues with Bluetooth in the past but two new phones, Samsung Galaxy Nexus and Motorola Razr, both Verizon, won't connect. It attempts but ultimately won't go. The supported phones list is pathetically small. I suppose this isn't an Abarth-specific issue.

2) "Beta-testing" isn't a unique Fiat problem. I had a '97 Prelude Type SH that I got specifically for the ATTS (Active Torque Transfer System - nothing like the limited brake-using system on the Abarth) for autocrossing. I beta-tested that system for the 4 years I had it. There was never a fix. It would fail with a generic code and cut power for two seconds, which wasn't a benefit when autocrossing. Even had it fail when going nearly in a straight line.

3) djchoongjae - your post above about white scuffs on door panels is possibly due to someone's arm rubbing against the panels. I've had to wipe the panels down after driving because my arm rubbed against the rather abrasive surface of both the plastic (sides) and cloth (armrest). It is dead skin rubbed off from your arm. A softer/less abrasive surface would be appreciated. My left arm was getting sore regardless of where I rested my arm after an hour or so drive.

Other than that, my experience is going well. The only issue I've had so far is the dealer prep which left protective covering seriously stuck to the rear door emblem, never even saw/attempted to remove the protective cover from the dead pedal and just a general lack of cleanliness throughout the car. That's a dealer issue, not Fiat. Doan Fiat in Rochester, NY needs to up its game...

peterh
08-25-2012, 01:15 PM
New owner here, picked mine up from the studio floor after the person who ordered lost his job. A few items:

1) Blue&Me sucks. Microsoft vs. Android? I've had issues with Bluetooth in the past but two new phones, Samsung Galaxy Nexus and Motorola Razr, both Verizon, won't connect. It attempts but ultimately won't go.

My Abarth linked to my samsung galaxy nexus on verizon just fine. I later had to change the setting on my phone to automatically allow the query for the contacts to occur so I didn't have to do it each time I got in the car.

jguerdat
08-25-2012, 05:34 PM
Yeah, something weird is going on. See my posts in the Blue & Me forum (should be at the top since I replied today) - it now seems to have paired successfully and completely.

psax889906
08-28-2012, 09:01 PM
I've had my Abarth for two and a half months now. I've seen some things listed on here occur on mine, such as the rear windshield wiper fluid dribbling down and the rear emblem having some residue left over.

Lately, I've seen two changes from a driving standpoint that I'm wondering if they are normal or not. First, upon start up, my rpm's are higher than they were the first two months I had the vehicle. While upon delivery every time I started the vehicle it would immediately hover right around 1,000 it is now immediately going to around 2,000. I give the engine time to come back down to around 1,000RPM before I begin driving. I was just wondering if this is something I should keep an eye on or if it is normal over time.

Issue #2 that has just begun over the past couple weeks: After start up and once I begin to drive within my first couple shifts (it seems to be most common between 2nd and 3rd gear) a quick, slight backfire occurs. This only happens within the first couple minutes of driving the vehicle and from what I can tell it's typically only happened one time and then not again during the rest of the duration of that particular drive.

Any information on these topics is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

hail2thetheif
08-28-2012, 09:52 PM
I've had my Abarth for two and a half months now. I've seen some things listed on here occur on mine, such as the rear windshield wiper fluid dribbling down and the rear emblem having some residue left over.

Lately, I've seen two changes from a driving standpoint that I'm wondering if they are normal or not. First, upon start up, my rpm's are higher than they were the first two months I had the vehicle. While upon delivery every time I started the vehicle it would immediately hover right around 1,000 it is now immediately going to around 2,000. I give the engine time to come back down to around 1,000RPM before I begin driving. I was just wondering if this is something I should keep an eye on or if it is normal over time.

Issue #2 that has just begun over the past couple weeks: After start up and once I begin to drive within my first couple shifts (it seems to be most common between 2nd and 3rd gear) a quick, slight backfire occurs. This only happens within the first couple minutes of driving the vehicle and from what I can tell it's typically only happened one time and then not again during the rest of the duration of that particular drive.

Any information on these topics is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have also noticed the start up rev "hop". Not sure why it's doing it but my car after sitting overnight will hold rpms @2000 instead of the 1500/1000 it did when I took delivery. I haven't kept a close eye on the backfires personally but will keep my ears open and let you know if I experience the same backfires on the first few shifts.

satellite
08-29-2012, 02:20 AM
The higher RPM at start up seems normal until the car warms up a little. I've had some other cars do this as well...it's just MUCH more pronounced on the Abarth with the exhaust and all.

The backfires (pop) will happen in high RPM and spirited driving almost all the time, what RPM range are you talking about these backfires happening?

Pinecone
08-29-2012, 10:28 AM
What are the ambient temperatures now versus when you got the car?

Colder weather means colder engine and a higher RPM at idle for a bit. It also means a bit richer mixture, which accounts for the pop on a shift.

sjmst
08-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Two things:
Clock fast
Plastic over guages is poor quaity. Looks streaky and scratched (just like on. my Prima before this).

Other than that all is well.
Blue tooth seems much improved. Works really well.

SeaDawg
08-29-2012, 09:18 PM

Colder weather means colder engine and a higher RPM at idle for a bit. It also means a bit richer mixture, which accounts for the pop on a shift.

It's impossible for me to test your theory currently in Florida, however, the highest I have seen 'fast idle' is 1,200 rpm rapidly dropping to a steady 1,000. Of course this is a normally aspirated 1.4...for the time being.:smug:

Pinecone
08-30-2012, 09:43 AM
1,200 at initial start, I would consider fine and normal on most any car.

psax889906
08-30-2012, 11:12 AM
The higher RPM at start up seems normal until the car warms up a little. I've had some other cars do this as well...it's just MUCH more pronounced on the Abarth with the exhaust and all.

The backfires (pop) will happen in high RPM and spirited driving almost all the time, what RPM range are you talking about these backfires happening?

The backfires are happening at relatively low RPM, (2-3,000) and I'm not driving particularly spirited.

psax889906
08-30-2012, 11:14 AM

The temperatures are about 10 degrees cooler now than when I accepted delivery.

TMC Motorsport
08-30-2012, 11:19 AM
The backfires are happening at relatively low RPM, (2-3,000) and I'm not driving particularly spirited.

Backfires are normal on Abarths, they run them very rich especially when cold, its nothing to be concerned about.

08-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Mine pops in the morning changing 2-3 and 3-4....especially if I hold the rev around 2200 and then get right off the gas for a couple of seconds when the clutch goes in!!!

I like it. My neighbours dont at 430am!

Thomas
09-04-2012, 10:29 PM
This is a minor issue, but I often get an annoying snapping sound coming from the drivers side. I thought maybe the drivers side window glass was a bit loose, but that does not seem to be the case. Seems to be more prevalent with window down. Another small issue I noticed when the sunroof is open is part of the piece that holds the sunroof mesh screen in place is loose, and rattles on occasion over bumps. Neither is that big of a deal but I thought I'd mention it.

FiatCares
09-05-2012, 09:29 AM
This is a minor issue, but I often get an annoying snapping sound coming from the drivers side. I thought maybe the drivers side window glass was a bit loose, but that does not seem to be the case. Seems to be more prevalent with window down. Another small issue I noticed when the sunroof is open is part of the piece that holds the sunroof mesh screen in place is loose, and rattles on occasion over bumps. Neither is that big of a deal but I thought I'd mention it.

This seems obvious but have the studio check it out first (under warranty). But if its inside the door panel when the window is down, it could be the window regulator or lift plate.

shabba
09-12-2012, 01:47 PM
I'll revive this thread and mention that I have the same issues. My drivers side rear skirt has a small separation, the upshift light doesn't work and the car alerts me to calls only half the time. I imagine I will get the answers when I search the forum, but making note of them is important too.

FiatCares
09-12-2012, 02:17 PM
I'll revive this thread and mention that I have the same issues. My drivers side rear skirt has a small separation, the upshift light doesn't work and the car alerts me to calls only half the time. I imagine I will get the answers when I search the forum, but making note of them is important too.

the shift light only will alert you when you are redlining...

Robert Nixon
09-24-2012, 04:26 PM
On my 2013 Abarth, I can turn on the GSI (Gear Shift Indicator) in the scroll thru menu on the display. It was not turned on when I picked it up at the dealer Friday.
I'm not sure if this is in the menu on all models and the 2012s.

deathshead
09-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Robert, I think thats if you want to turn OFF the feature no?

I know by default on my 2013 its working as it should.

I love how if you get the shift just right at redline you can get that sweet backfire. :)

Robert Nixon
09-30-2012, 04:48 PM
the menu control lets me turn GSI either ON or OFF, but even when it's ON it won't show the GSI light when you're in SPORT mode. That makes sense to me, since if I'm in SPORT mode I don't want the light to tell me when to shift.

Thomas
10-15-2012, 01:34 PM
A kind of clicking sound (hard to describe) has developed around the drivers side door. It is more prevalent over rougher pavement. If I jam my knee against the door panel real hard in the right place, the sound disappears. This leads me to believe that it might be the window glass or something else in side of the door. I am curious whether anyone else has come across this?

ukeluthier
10-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Robert, I think thats if you want to turn OFF the feature no?

I know by default on my 2013 its working as it should.

I love how if you get the shift just right at redline you can get that sweet backfire. :)

I suspect it's likely caused by momentarily hitting a rev limiter that cuts off the ignition for a split second. The unburned fuel from the cylinder then passes into the hot catalytic converter and gets ignited there, producing the pop.

Not sure if that is hard on the converter, though.

luckymoi
10-15-2012, 03:01 PM
A kind of clicking sound (hard to describe) has developed around the drivers side door. It is more prevalent over rougher pavement. If I jam my knee against the door panel real hard in the right place, the sound disappears. This leads me to believe that it might be the window glass or something else in side of the door. I am curious whether anyone else has come across this?
Window open or closed?
I saw my driver's side window vibrating at a certain speed and only in a partially opened state, shock-city. Lowered it was fine , higher it was fine.

Thomas
10-15-2012, 07:28 PM
Window close Lucky.

laitsabr
12-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Regarding clicking sound from driver's side door, for me it is more like crackling. Sounds like it's from the speaker (like static) but it happens even with the audio OFF. No time to bring her in this week, but intending to get it looked at. No effect from window opened/closed.

ukeluthier
12-13-2012, 01:17 PM
I had a weird thing happen yesterday. Got into my 2013, and there was no sound from the standard audio system at all, regardless of the input or volume setting. All the displays on the radio worked fine.

While I was sitting in the parking lot waiting for my haircut appointment, I pulled out the manual and looked up the fuse slot number for the audio amp, so I could check it after I got home. When I came back out after my haircut, everything worked fine! I suspect the amp fuse might be loose in it's socket; will have to investigate.

bawight
12-13-2012, 08:08 PM
I have the same rattling problem coming from both doors. When I push against the window it goes away.

Thomas
01-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Sounds like the same problem as mine Lait....although since the winter temperature drop here (not sure if it's just a coincidence), the annoying sound has disappeared.

01-11-2013, 05:14 PM
After 23000km Ive hit my first problem, minor though it is. So temps here are below 0 every morning and when I go to back out the garage each morning I get a big clunk from the rear brakes followed by 10 secs or so of squeeky brakes which then disappears.... Frozen on rears or handbrake cable???

Deefourtay
01-30-2013, 05:20 AM
Does anybody here have a slight squeaky/rattling noise coming from the engine area under low engine load? I only hear the sound at low RPMS while reving.. Nothing to do with the clutch

kayandjohn
02-19-2013, 10:32 PM
Thanks! My dealer (Fiat of Alexandria) conducted a through inspection of the car and pointed out most of the issues that I have discussed in the forum on their own. In fact their were a few things that I probably would have overlooked had they not pointed them out to me. Fiat of Alexandria is superb.
I remember FIAT of Alexandria with Great Fondness. It was there that I drove my first Abarth, nearly a year ago, two days after they had gotten it. It was their idea, not mine - I just wanted to sit in any of their cars. Not only did they give me an addictive test drive, they did NOT try to sell me... they said (knowing I was from Michigan and only traveling through on business) I was better off buying my FIAT locally. Then in response to my wishes, 2013 began with a new FIAT dealer being born in my home town, the closest car dealer to me. There I ordered the Abarth Cabrio.

Deefourtay
02-20-2013, 06:46 PM
Ooops.. This isn't an issue at all, I realized that it's just the sound of the Factory Blow Off Valve.. It just seems more Audible after the car has broken in a little.

Does anybody here have a slight squeaky/rattling noise coming from the engine area under low engine load? I only hear the sound at low RPMS while reving.. Nothing to do with the clutch

sjmst
02-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Here is one as minor as can be: I notice that the bottom of the door sills get as dirty as the car. That is, the silver "saddle" at the base of the door opening gets dirty. I don't recall that happening on my 500 Sport. Is this something anyone else has noticed? Is it just my car?

ukeluthier
02-20-2013, 10:59 PM
Here is one as minor as can be: I notice that the bottom of the door sills get as dirty as the car. That is, the silver "saddle" at the base of the door opening gets dirty. I don't recall that happening on my 500 Sport. Is this something anyone else has noticed? Is it just my car?

Not just your car, Sam. Mine do too.

squeeze
02-21-2013, 12:13 AM
Anyone getting a roof creak?? One came on suddenly and sounds like the whole roof is creaking when I hit bumps. It's downright bloody weird.

FiatCACares
02-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Anyone getting a roof creak?? One came on suddenly and sounds like the whole roof is creaking when I hit bumps. It's downright bloody weird.

Squeeze,

I haven't heard of any concerns with a creaky roof. Do you have a Cabrio? Do you notice if it only occurs when the weather is colder? If your concerns continue I would suggest having your Studio diagnose your Fiat to pinpoint where the noise may be coming from.

If you have any inquiries or are seeking assistance booking an appointment, let me know and I'd be happy to help!

Dwaynek
02-21-2013, 04:56 PM
My sun roof rattles and creaks at times

Thomas
02-21-2013, 07:43 PM
I heard that for the first time yesterday. I could also reproduce it at a standstill, by hitting a certain rpm range. Do you have a sun roof? I do. think it was was either a combo of temperature and ice, or one or the other. It has now disappeared.

redabarthmd
03-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Hi. New owner here in Maryland. Anybody got a squeaky cloth driver seat. It squeak ever time the road gets rough. Getting to be really annoying on a NEW car!

jguerdat
03-03-2013, 09:53 AM
No squeaks here. Are you sure it's the seat? With colder temps I get a clunk from the front that quiets with a couple of miles - I ass-u-me it's the shock top hats...

bawight
03-20-2013, 10:04 PM
Just went to clean the thousands of bugs off the front of my car and noticed that both ends of the chrome piece to either side of the front Abarth emblem have separated from the front valence. The chrome piece is still connected in the middle but appears to be loose about 2" from either end. Has anybody else noticed this? If so, has anybody had a dealer successfully address this yet?

TIA

Thomas
03-20-2013, 10:54 PM
Does anyone have a type of rattling noise coming from the drivers side door? By process of elimination, I don't think it is the glass....but something loose inside the door. It is not a huge bother, as I usually have the tunes cranked, but nonetheless.

bawight
03-20-2013, 11:14 PM
I have seen several people (myself included) posting about the door rattle problem. Someone said a while back that their dealership diagnosed it as an issue with the seal against the window.

VTEC Mini
03-21-2013, 08:39 AM
Check engine light came on today............ Great.

squeeze
03-21-2013, 10:55 AM
I heard that for the first time yesterday. I could also reproduce it at a standstill, by hitting a certain rpm range. Do you have a sun roof? I do. think it was was either a combo of temperature and ice, or one or the other. It has now disappeared.

I think it was a combo of ice and sudden temperature drop. The day that it happened the temperature plummeted from +8 down into the -10 range, possibly colder. The next day it had all but vanished, haven't heard it in a while!

FiatCares
03-21-2013, 12:54 PM
Just went to clean the thousands of bugs off the front of my car and noticed that both ends of the chrome piece to either side of the front Abarth emblem have separated from the front valence. The chrome piece is still connected in the middle but appears to be loose about 2" from either end. Has anybody else noticed this? If so, has anybody had a dealer successfully address this yet?

TIA

I havent heard of such a concern as of yet; I would just have a studio check it out.

Dave80GTSi
05-08-2013, 12:41 PM
I've gone through this thread and a few others and documented as many known issues as I could spot.

--- White scuffs on door panels at delivery after detail and PDI (pre-delivery inspection)
(Scuffs on both left and right door panels)

A-M-E-N !!!

My Cabrio is 10 days old, and already both door panels look like they are 10 years old.

The black plastic door panels scuff white in color with what seems to be even the slightest touch or casual contact. Around the door handle, at the top edge of the door, and especilally along the bottom of the door where one's feet can rub upon exit.

I've never seen this happen in any car that I've ever driven, and it is, by far, the biggest design fault that I have noted with my otherwise way-delightful new car.

I could perhaps understand this happening if my model were one of the first ones off of the assembly line - I first noticed this white scuffing problem at a public auto show back in 2011 when the new 500 was first displayed. And I dismissed it at that time as this was one of the earliest production models that I had seen. But the 500 production run has now gone on long enough that this issue should have easily been fettled by now. (I found a factory inspection QC checklist tag in my car - in Spanish - which was dated 20 February 2013, so the car is probably as new as any one that's out in use.)

So, with this rant as background, what car care products have other folks used so to minimize these white scuffs?

Thanks - DM

b56.1m6
05-08-2013, 01:01 PM
I have a few on my drivers door. I have tried cleaning them off but when the panel dries they reappear. I am wondering if Mothers back to black or Armorall would work?

13VaAbarth
05-08-2013, 11:29 PM
I have noticed the white scuff marks too but they don't seem permanent cause every time Ive clean them they go away. But I do clean my car atleast once a week. I get the scuffs from taking off the seatbelt and it hits the door panel when retracting to position.

Abarth6633
05-09-2013, 02:14 AM

That happened on my sport, i asked the service guy he said that because the hose that the rear nozzle doesn't have a valve of any sort so any fluid left over in the hose leaks out. he said its normal function. Though i haven't seen it on my Abarth, but only on the sport i had

Abarth6633
05-09-2013, 02:22 AM
Has anyone else had the issue where the rear tail lights squeak when you push on them, not hard. all my dealer said was "since the car is relatively new, come back in a month if it's still there"

ReconTopher
06-04-2013, 05:45 PM
I have 600 miles on my '13 Abarth Cabrio. When the roof is all the way down and wind comes in just right, the air hits something inside the car and it puts out a loud squawk, whistle noise. I think maybe the air goes into the gap by the seatbelts, above my left shoulder, where the strap goes into the car.

lenswerks
06-04-2013, 07:11 PM

TIA

There is a bolt in the middle of the emblem held to the bumper with a nut and two plastic nipples on each side of the shround that are held to the bumper with a type of washer that fits tightly on these pins. Sounds like the pins are broken or washers loose. Dealer should order you a new emblem shround and replace.

While the emblem and shround are two peices, they are ordered only as one item $110.00 if you have to buy one.

dklug1
06-05-2013, 05:05 PM
I have the same issue. Took it in to show the dealer. Photos were taken to send to Chrysler to see how they wanted to proceed.

Thomas
06-13-2013, 04:24 PM
I finally got to the bottom of this one. I thought it was the speaker in the drivers side door, as when I turned up the base I would hear this kind of snapping noise....but I would also hear it going over imperfect pavement (most of the time). If I wedge a solid object tightly into the driver's door shelf/storage space, the noise is gone. Took me a while, but finally tracked down the source of that annoying sound.

Does anyone have a type of rattling noise coming from the drivers side door? By process of elimination, I don't think it is the glass....but something loose inside the door. It is not a huge bother, as I usually have the tunes cranked, but nonetheless.

VTEC Mini
06-14-2013, 08:41 AM
I finally got to the bottom of this one. I thought it was the speaker in the drivers side door, as when I turned up the base I would hear this kind of snapping noise....but I would also hear it going over imperfect pavement (most of the time). If I wedge a solid object tightly into the driver's door shelf/storage space, the noise is gone. Took me a while, but finally tracked down the source of that annoying sound.

Minie did the same. They ended up replacing the door latch.

Dave80GTSi
06-18-2013, 12:11 PM
Can anyone please explain to me why my Cabrio's car alarm is set off (lights flashing, horn beeping) whenever I unlock my driver’s door the old fashioned way, which is via inserting the key into the tumbler on the outside door handle and giving it a quarter turn?

Every time I do this, the alarm consistently sounds, which does not occur when I unlock the door using the remote pushy-button on the key fob walking up to it from a distance.

A search of the Owner’s Manual does not even mention the alarm system, let alone why the above scenario happens.

Thanks - DM

fantod
06-18-2013, 01:05 PM
Can anyone please explain to me why my Cabrio's car alarm is set off (lights flashing, horn beeping) whenever I unlock my driver’s door the old fashioned way, which is via inserting the key into the tumbler on the outside door handle and giving it a quarter turn?

Agreed. This is an obnoxious "feature". Can it be disabled?

Dave80GTSi
06-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Agreed. This is an obnoxious "feature". Can it be disabled?

Glad to see that I am not the only one who has been annoyed (and puzzled) by this!

I would not mind it quite so much if I felt that I had some sort of understanding of the thought process behind this intentional feature.

But for the life of me, I can't figure out any logical reason why the (correct) opening of the driver's door via the key should trigger any sort of an alarm.

Has anyone figured out the "why" reason behind this?

Thanks - DM

sjmst
06-20-2013, 10:15 AM
Rocker panel coming loose on one side. I will try to reglue rather then go through hassle of service appointment.

BigT
06-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Only issue I have had is rear washer dribble but it seems to have stopped on its own and only happens when the washer fluid levels are really low I'm thinking it might be a pressure related thing but who knows.

wilbmeister
06-21-2013, 09:49 PM
Rocker panel coming loose on one side. I will try to reglue rather then go through hassle of service appointment.

I had the same problem. Pointed it out to the dealer when it was in for an oil change. They ordered 2 new ones and I went back a few weeks later. It took them 30 minutes to replace both sides. They look great. They believe the problem comes from having the car on a lift the wrong way. Must have happened when I had the tires changed.

enginethatcould
07-26-2013, 08:49 PM
Has anyone else had the issue where the rear tail lights squeak when you push on them, not hard. all my dealer said was "since the car is relatively new, come back in a month if it's still there"

No, I can't say it's part of my daily drive to push on my tail lights. Is it something that concerns you?

BecauseRacecar
02-06-2014, 12:00 AM
Not posting to gripe, only to document my 500 issues so others can find it if they have the same problem:

Minor:

Rear logo bubbling - FIXED [R2 part]
Clunk when parking/reverse/sharp turns - FIXED [R2 steering rack and steering intermediate shaft]
Rear wiper not level when off - FIXED [installed wrong from factory]
Exhaust tips not even, right protrudes 2 inches more than left - FIXED [they loosened the brackets and adjusted ... things]
Passenger A-pillar airbag fell out of housing, protruding into cabin - FIXED [assembled wrong at factory, they re-packaged the airbag]
Headliner falling down (yes, like in old cars) - PART ON ORDER [will R2 part]
Drivers door occasionally will not open/unlock - UNDIAGNOSED [waiting for next service visit]
Radio occasionally doesn't show correct/any info for track playing on my iPhone/USB - KNOWN ISSUE [restart radio]

Major:

Rear main seal leak - FIXED [R2 rear main seal, lots of labor, took them a week]
Leaking coolant, occasionally a lot - FIXED [tightened loose clamp & R2 broken clamp]
Power steering intermittent inop, twitching without me touching it - FIXED [R2 intermediate shaft, boost motor, controller, updated some magic controller somewhere in the car with new firmware]
Won't shift into 1st gear when cold - FIXED *KNOCK ON WOOD* [Flushed transmission fluid, checked shifter cable alignment, adjusted clutch throwout, cleaned and greased clutch/transmission travel splines...]

Gripes:

Can't close my sunroof (like I can my windows) when I turn off my car
Can't turn off the seatbelt chime, and the dealer refuses to [no, I don't like to put on a seatbelt just to drive 10 MPH in a parking lot/flightline/driveway]
Rear wiper actuates too often when turned on

Still the funnest car I've ever owned!

BecauseRacecar
02-10-2014, 05:41 PM
Was going to edit my above post ^^^, but the option is no longer there.

To add: My front end now occasionally "clunks" when starting or stopping at slow speeds, usually with the wheels turned.
Also clunks over more substantial bumps/dips.

I'm thinking it's the strut tower mounts (I believe that's the name).

Handling is fine, and no clunks or play in the steering system or when parked.

Will get the car on a lift to inspect further.

This car is aggravating... but SO FUN! Grrrr..

bryanintowson
02-11-2014, 10:20 AM
I know what you mean. I can never stay mad at the little scamp.

juvenchan
02-11-2014, 06:34 PM
Is your Abarth 2013 or 2012?

I am about to purchase a 2013 abarth, and i'd like to get more info about reliability on this car (will be my DD and only car)

Not posting to gripe, only to document my 500 issues so others can find it if they have the same problem:

Minor:

Rear logo bubbling - FIXED [R2 part]
Clunk when parking/reverse/sharp turns - FIXED [R2 steering rack and steering intermediate shaft]
Rear wiper not level when off - FIXED [installed wrong from factory]
Exhaust tips not even, right protrudes 2 inches more than left - FIXED [they loosened the brackets and adjusted ... things]
Passenger A-pillar airbag fell out of housing, protruding into cabin - FIXED [assembled wrong at factory, they re-packaged the airbag]
Headliner falling down (yes, like in old cars) - PART ON ORDER [will R2 part]
Drivers door occasionally will not open/unlock - UNDIAGNOSED [waiting for next service visit]
Radio occasionally doesn't show correct/any info for track playing on my iPhone/USB - KNOWN ISSUE [restart radio]

Major:

Rear main seal leak - FIXED [R2 rear main seal, lots of labor, took them a week]
Leaking coolant, occasionally a lot - FIXED [tightened loose clamp & R2 broken clamp]
Power steering intermittent inop, twitching without me touching it - FIXED [R2 intermediate shaft, boost motor, controller, updated some magic controller somewhere in the car with new firmware]
Won't shift into 1st gear when cold - FIXED *KNOCK ON WOOD* [Flushed transmission fluid, checked shifter cable alignment, adjusted clutch throwout, cleaned and greased clutch/transmission travel splines...]

Gripes:

Can't close my sunroof (like I can my windows) when I turn off my car
Can't turn off the seatbelt chime, and the dealer refuses to [no, I don't like to put on a seatbelt just to drive 10 MPH in a parking lot/flightline/driveway]
Rear wiper actuates too often when turned on

Still the funnest car I've ever owned!

Fiat500USA
02-12-2014, 01:08 AM
Welcome to the forum juvenchan! I've had two 500s- Prima Edizione , the 29th car off the assembly line and now a 2012 Abarth, and haven't had any problems other than the clock losing or gaining a minute or two per month and the rear emblem on the Prima which was a replaced under warranty. Like any other car, I would look it over before you buy it and make sure there aren't the trim issues some have reported.

Tweak
02-12-2014, 01:24 AM
Welcome juvenchan, I am now on my second FIAT, had a 2012 Sport and now a 2013 Abarth and no major problems beyond cosmetic problems handled under warranty. Enjoy the forum!

sjb2720
02-12-2014, 02:56 AM
When I first got my Abarth the Beats sub-woofer sounded terrible, a plastic bag possibly for protecting the speaker in transport was wedged in the sub box. It was removed with no more issues

BecauseRacecar
02-12-2014, 01:46 PM
Is your Abarth 2013 or 2012?

I am about to purchase a 2013 abarth, and i'd like to get more info about reliability on this car (will be my DD and only car)

Mine is a 2013, built in December of 2012. So probably arrived at the dealer a month or two later.

It then sat inside the showroom for nearly a year(!) before I bought it in December of 2013.

I think I just got one that was assembled by a FNG at the plant. I mean, seriously, the pillar airbag was installed wrong, the rear wiper was installed wrong, the exhaust was installed wrong, and the headliner was damaged (it's being replaced now - I'm typing this at the dealer while I wait. Free WiFi!), and the driver's door latch installed wrong (the brass loop-part that bolts to the frame was aligned incorrectly).
All the things I just mentioned were fixed in a TOTAL of 15 minutes, with the exception of the headliner which took 1.5 hrs.
That being said, I've had the car two months, 4600 miles, and been to the dealer 8 times (2 were for oil changes/winter wheel install)

Other than the above issues, it's been a super fun car. It's the ONLY car I've had that I consistently wake up early every morning so that I can take the long twisty way to work.
(Well, "twisty" in South Jersey is relative at best... at least it's not dead straight...)

The only actual, possibly "serious" issue I've had with my Abarth have been the gearbox not wanting to go into 1st when cold (fixed - knock on wood - knock on EVERYTHING!!).
They adjusted the clutch throwout, flushed the gearbox fluid, and greased the selector/slide splined shaft thingy. Now shifts great. Been nearly a few weeks with that fix.

The clunking when starting/stopping/bumps that I posted about a few posts above has gone away completely, for a couple days straight... I hope/think it was just a chunk of ice rattling around the engine bay!

Overall they are very solid cars.

2014Abarth
06-15-2014, 01:36 PM
Anyone else seen an issue with the interior passengers ide kick panel huge gap where it meets the dash??? I'll try to upload photos

ThingsAbove
07-19-2014, 04:05 PM
I think I've read this elsewhere but the plastic chrome on my rear badge was "bubbling". I stopped by the studio and they came out and looked and said it was not covered under warranty. I then drove over to the Dodge service area and the service advisor looked at it and said it IS covered. He's ordering a new one.

Moral of the story is the "Italian" dude in the studio doesn't know as much as the service writer, at least regarding warranty claims.

FiatCACares
07-22-2014, 10:23 AM
I think I've read this elsewhere but the plastic chrome on my rear badge was "bubbling". I stopped by the studio and they came out and looked and said it was not covered under warranty. I then drove over to the Dodge service area and the service advisor looked at it and said it IS covered. He's ordering a new one.

Moral of the story is the "Italian" dude in the studio doesn't know as much as the service writer, at least regarding warranty claims.

ThingsAbove,

I happy to hear the dealer is going to take care of your badge concern. I'm sorry to learn of the experience with the Studio. It is always beneficial to follow-up with the Service Manager for additional details and clarification if necessary.

Yorkman1
07-22-2014, 11:05 AM
Is anyone else having any Issues with the USB plug in the car. I have had the car into the studio twice. 1st time got a reset and update. 2nd time they replaced my entire control module under the glovebox. My USB just random cuts out. It cuts power and does no data transfer. Then I'll hit a bump or just come out and start the car in the AM and then it works. Then i'll be driving down the road and it dies. Its definatly and issue. And we have tried 5 different devices in the USB so it is not a device/compatibility error.

ThingsAbove
07-30-2014, 03:22 PM
Is anyone else having any Issues with the USB plug in the car. I have had the car into the studio twice. 1st time got a reset and update. 2nd time they replaced my entire control module under the glovebox. My USB just random cuts out. It cuts power and does no data transfer. Then I'll hit a bump or just come out and start the car in the AM and then it works. Then i'll be driving down the road and it dies. Its definatly and issue. And we have tried 5 different devices in the USB so it is not a device/compatibility error.

There are a lot of posts about dead USB port across the forums. There are suggestions that pulling and replacing the fuse for the radio (#5 or 10) fixes the issue for a time but if it returns it could be a problem with the radio itself. Have you looked in the TSB section?

m3racer
08-14-2014, 09:11 AM
This isn't an issue but more of a tip. When the car is cold the idle is around 1500 rpms. I blip the throttle and the rpms settle down to normal. I know most cars have a cold idle to get things warmed up faster but during the summer, I would rather not waste the gas. Plus the pop from the exhaust is great!

2014Abarth
08-17-2014, 11:50 AM
Anyone else seen an issue with the interior passengers ide kick panel huge gap where it meets the dash??? I'll try to upload photos

So it took over a MONTH to get an appointment for warranty work. And they "fixed" my concern with the body cladding and with the alignment of the kick panel to dash. BUT the dash to kick panel has not changed and fitment is still very poor. I attached photos of passenger and drivers side to show the obvious issues. Dealer says passenger side is fixed and looks good. My 2012 POP did not have this issue and I don't want my Abarth too!!! Any recommendations or help would be appreciated.

Thomas
08-18-2014, 09:49 PM
I went in for an oil change last week. I also had a CEL just a few days before, but it disappeared after a couple of cycles. In any case, the tech said he would run a diagnostic. He ended up doing a re-flash. He said that the fix was something to do with difficulty with re-starting the car when it is cold. Well, it isn't winter yet. In any event, I pick up my keys, start the engine to leave, and no air is coming through the vents. It was working when I drove in. It turns out that the blower is dead. Of course no blowers in stock....so have to take more time off work to fix the new problem.

FiatCACares
08-19-2014, 11:12 AM
I went in for an oil change last week. I also had a CEL just a few days before, but it disappeared after a couple of cycles. In any case, the tech said he would run a diagnostic. He ended up doing a re-flash. He said that the fix was something to do with difficulty with re-starting the car when it is cold. Well, it isn't winter yet. In any event, I pick up my keys, start the engine to leave, and no air is coming through the vents. It was working when I drove in. It turns out that the blower is dead. Of course no blowers in stock....so have to take more time off work to fix the new problem.

Thomas,

I'm sorry to hear about your concern.

Did your Studio provide you with an ETA for the part ordered?

08-19-2014, 11:20 AM

Fiats part network is woeful. I love my Abarth but right now if I was a new buyer - Id honestly steer clear of Fiat :(

Least its not hot this summer here...

Thomas
08-21-2014, 10:28 PM
No ETA given. It is that certain Ferrari, Maserati, Fiat Remo group dealer in Vaughn, Ontario.

Thomas,

I'm sorry to hear about your concern.

Did your Studio provide you with an ETA for the part ordered?

Thomas
08-21-2014, 10:31 PM
I hear you Fidgell. My Yaris/Vitz was a boring car, but boy could you flog it year after year with not even a shudder!

Fiats part network is woeful. I love my Abarth but right now if I was a new buyer - Id honestly steer clear of Fiat :(

Least its not hot this summer here...

2014Abarth
09-15-2014, 11:26 AM
Sorry it took so long to post a photo.

m3racer
09-19-2014, 10:25 AM
My passenger panel is misaligned similar to that. I doesn't bother me since its black and I don't see while I'm driving. My car doesn't rattle so I don't want the dealer to touch anything that isn't necessary.

Thomas
11-06-2014, 05:13 PM
Well it took a while (more than 2 months), but it is finally fixed. First, I waited ages for a new blower. When it finally came in, it made no difference. Then they ordered the module (or whatever it is called). That took some too, but again made no difference. Then they finally found the problem. A fried relay. I am guessing that somehow the PCM re-flash fried the relay. Anyway, I am posting this in case someone else has the same issue.

bryanintowson
11-06-2014, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the update, I just had a bunch of TSB related re-flashes done so I will be on the lookout in case this happens to me, too!

doverosx
11-06-2014, 06:45 PM
At the top of the driver side A-Pillar there is a fold of cloth from the headliner that is pinched so it sticks out. It bothered me 0% and took 5 minutes to fix with a screw driver :).

One thing I noticed on my 2015 is that....and I'm like 50% certain...that if you use the straps on the seats to tilt them forward....they won't go back to the lowest position. Instead, they go to lowest + 1. Might just be me though.

maggieo
11-07-2014, 01:14 AM
I had the local Dodge dealer do my 32,000mi tune up and ever since there's been a petrol or cleaning fluid smell coming out of the vents. Anyone else have this happen?

bryanintowson
11-07-2014, 09:55 AM
I had the local Dodge dealer do my 32,000mi tune up and ever since there's been a petrol or cleaning fluid smell coming out of the vents. Anyone else have this happen?

How long has it been going on? I had mine in for service once and it definitely smelled of gasoline but it went away shortly.

maggieo
11-07-2014, 03:16 PM
How long has it been going on? I had mine in for service once and it definitely smelled of gasoline but it went away shortly.

Not quite a week. It does seem to be getting better.

Nicounderground
06-18-2015, 12:59 PM
This one is a new one in stock they tried to say mine was normal ? 18300 Now look at the pedals ?? Not ok ? 1830118302 Now that's my sunroof on a good day !!! Help lol ....
I'm writing this post for those to capture issues they noticed with their Abarths. Not to complain but to document for Fiat. I love my Abarth and in no way dissappointed in the way it drives.

Here is a list of a few minor ones that I already provided pictures to my Studio sales representative. With these minor issues, I have no complaints with my sales representive as he was willing to work on a resolution of these matters.

1) When first viewing the online pictures of the 17" wheels on the Fiat Web site... it appears that the lugs had a black chrome appearance versus the non-descript lugs that arrived. I believe these were lug covers (apparently available on the 500 Madness web site). This morning my sales rep believes that the Abarth 17" wheels do not come with the custom lug covers. I'm thinking about replacing the lugs with locking ones so not a huge deal... (would love to find a black chrome lock set). Did anybody else have the same impression/expectation?

2) The lower driver side panel towards the rear wheel was separated from the main body. It turned out that the double stick tape was splitting down the middle and causing the panel to slightly flare out. A simple fix was to clean and add new industrial double side sticky tape to secure panel. I hope it lasts. This one concerns me but seems like a minor fix.

3) Inside the panel of the rear hatch, was a missing plastic secure panel plug. I easily found a replacement plug at a local auto supply store.

welll my 2015 Abarth came with a warped sunroof ... The pedals were worn (I didn't notice ) I bought it at night and it was brand new ? Who would take a flash light to the wheel wells and check the pedals ? Also form the images I was under the impression the pedals were chrome not thinly stuck on aluminum .. They're not even solid ? It had 24 miles on it and it's scarred and burned thought to the black ? On the silver ? The clear won't replace (I bought it that way ) really ? And now the crooked sunroof they didn't know how to align it at #DESERT-FIAT really that was an sis frightening ? Then they told me all their sunroofs are like that so its normal ? Ahhhhhh .. Finally replacing it today .. I never would have bought it had they said replace it and tracks and rip out headliner ? Brand new car? And anyone notice foam under the foot wells on the drivers side ? Next to the consol ? Omg scary I'm not sure if I like it ! I loved it now 3 months later I can't use the sunroof or the car I can't get it tinted the yell scratch it repairing it and it's 90 degrees ? Not to happy here :( and mine was 3180.00 grand ! It's fully loaded fully !? Sad :( maybe because they're made in Mexico ? Not Italy? OMG your side panels ?? That's bad ? I worked at a body shop and they should be bolted on not tape ? Yes ? I'm sorry .. I'm happy you like yours I'm not liking mine at all :(

Again... extremely happy and excited to be drving my Abarth. So worth the wait.

Nicounderground
06-18-2015, 01:01 PM

1) First issue was pairing my iPhone 4S - paired just fine and able to make calls... but the phone would not answer calls. By reseting my iPhone, I was able to recieve calls. You might be able to do the same thing by turning off bluetooth on your phone and turning it back on.

Note: my iPhone does work reasonablly well with phone calls and playing music with Blue&Me in the Abarth but that's about it. I did figured out how to disable autoplay as the default is to play music when the phone is plugged in the usb port in the glovebox or when starting up the car. I had to use the "voice" command "media player" then verbally walk thru the usb settings commands then "autoplay off". Could not find this option with the "Menu" mode button.

yes it's sad my iPhone doesn't work and the sound from it with my beats is sooo low ! When parking directly from the phone and the blue and me is hit and miss ! :( I am happy someone else noticed the dealer thinks I make this stuff up :( Booooo #DesertFiat !!!

Nicounderground
06-18-2015, 01:03 PM
Here are the picts that was on the Fiat USA web site.

192619271928. I know they advertise even tinted windows lol it's clear lol ! Yes I fell for the same lug nut thing too ! :(

Nicounderground
06-18-2015, 01:05 PM

Agreed and the Tom Tom forget it no info for the Tom Tom in U.S. Barely :(