PDA

View Full Version : Hey, aren't they supposed to rotate your tires?

cmj912
04-29-2012, 11:37 AM
This morning I noticed on my receipt that it only said that they'd changed the oil and filter.

I can't remember when it says to rotate the tires. I always did it every 5,000 because they'd just do it on my old car for free and was part of the tire hazard warranty.

On the 500 I can't recall what the interval is but I swear it should have been done by now. I am a few miles short of 8,900. I don't think they did it the first time, either (at 4,700).

SeaDawg
04-29-2012, 11:56 AM
This morning I noticed on my receipt that it only said that they'd changed the oil and filter.

I can't remember when it says to rotate the tires. I always did it every 5,000 because they'd just do it on my old car for free and was part of the tire hazard warranty.

On the 500 I can't recall what the interval is but I swear it should have been done by now. I am a few miles short of 8,900. I don't think they did it the first time, either (at 4,700).

According to the maintenance schedule, I think, the tires are supposed to be rotated at 8,000 miles intervals. That being said, since you were basically AT 8,000 miles AND it has been a year with the tires in the same positions they should have rotated them. Also if you have a sunroof, they should have lubed the rails for it at this visit (1 year) also.

Doodles
04-29-2012, 03:06 PM
They rotated my tires and it only has 2300 miles on it, after 1 year. I know they rotated them because of the difference in air pressure between front and back;it's now backwards.

Wolfie
04-29-2012, 05:27 PM
I know they rotated them because of the difference in air pressure between front and back;it's now backwards.

Well that's a NONO - they should have adjusted the tire pressure according specs .... :suspicion:

sjmst
04-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Psst...it's a car dealership...they do what they want. :moody:

Wolfie
04-29-2012, 10:03 PM

Wrong Bud - It's a car stealership ... :encouragement:

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
04-29-2012, 11:18 PM
I think he means that they didn't change the tps tire sensor location in computer. It happen to my daughter,she noticed it while out of town and Rick Hendrick's dealership fixed it and put nitrogen in tires for free.:peach:

Pronto
04-29-2012, 11:42 PM
Would you believe my Jaguar Service Technician said they no longer rotate tires at all. This is what I deal with in Hawaii all the time. :moody:

SeaDawg
04-30-2012, 01:47 AM
Would you believe my Jaguar Service Technician said they no longer rotate tires at all. This is what I deal with in Hawaii all the time. :moody:

I'm not familiar with Jaguar, but the 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 I leased had different size tires on the front and rear and therefore could not be rotated.

cmj912
04-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Guess I'm going to have to pay a place to do it then.

Pinecone
06-06-2012, 07:26 PM
I have had more problems with rotating tires than not rotating tires. So I haven't rotated tires in some 20 years.

wildeyed
06-07-2012, 08:56 AM
M Dealerships has no clue what the scheduled maintenance is supposed to be on the 500. They ask for the milage when I make the appointment, I tell them it' s for the scheduled maintenance - and then they just do whaterver they always do for Chryslers.

Evelyn Salt
06-07-2012, 04:53 PM
M Dealerships has no clue what the scheduled maintenance is supposed to be on the 500. They ask for the milage when I make the appointment, I tell them it' s for the scheduled maintenance - and then they just do whaterver they always do for Chryslers.
That's exactly correct !! So. As not to waste your time, you should have a list of maintainance items needed.
This list probably would not be that long.

Pronto
06-07-2012, 08:38 PM
I have had more problems with rotating tires than not rotating tires. So I haven't rotated tires in some 20 years.

I am very interested in hearing some of the issues, I am not sure I want to rotate the tires either.

Pinecone
06-08-2012, 09:51 AM
I have had problems with vibration from the differing tire wear patterns.

And I find the tires are pretty much all worn out at about the same time, so rotating would not have changed anything.

cmj912
06-08-2012, 11:34 AM
I have had problems with vibration from the differing tire wear patterns.

And I find the tires are pretty much all worn out at about the same time, so rotating would not have changed anything.

I think the general original gist of my post was them not doing certain things that were listed they'd do in the manual. If they say to rotate the tires, I'm going to do it. If I get noises because of that it is up to them to rectify it because the car is under warranty. I still need to call and fight with them about the sunroof and cabin filters but since I'm going in again at 13k or so they *will* do it then.

FWIW I did have the tires done - and the car realigned because this is Potholeville - at 8500 (I am at 10125 now) and it has been fine. The car is a Pop with Firestones.

shonokin
06-08-2012, 12:15 PM
McKevitt in Berkeley has the full maintenance schedule printed out at the front desk of the office. I don't know yet if they stick to that schedule but will find out in a few months.

Pinecone
06-08-2012, 02:30 PM
Tires and tire problems are not covered under warranty.

cmj912
06-08-2012, 04:00 PM
Tires and tire problems are not covered under warranty.

No, but if I got noises and irregular wear because of the malfunctioning or failure of a related part such as part of the suspension or steering they would be, given that I'm still within the 12/12.

Pinecone
06-09-2012, 07:08 AM
Yes, but you can have a perfect suspension and still have tire issues as the front and rear suspensions are different, the loads and different, and the dynamics are different.

So you end up with a vibration or noise and your only recourse is to buy new tires. For what?

IMO rotating tires went out with greasing front axle bearings and drum brakes.

Charles
06-22-2012, 10:32 AM
That could not be more false for us @ Benson CDJ and Benson Fiat. We are family owned and I can tell you for sure that makes a HUGE difference in the attitude of employees. Certainly not every customer leaves happy, but everything we do is in the customers best interest. I do realize that not everyone on board at every dealership sees things the same way I do, but I would certainly rather have a customer telling 5 people about what we did right rather than same said customer telling 100 people about what we did wrong. No disrespect intended at all but not every dealership out there is a 'stealership'...just food for thought.