PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise upon initial running

Roadpizza
04-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Several times upon beginning to take off I hear a strange soft "woop..woop ..woop" sound. Does anybody else have this and know what it is or had work done to correct it? I thought it might be the brakes but, I'm beginning to think it may be a bearing.

cmj912
04-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Several times upon beginning to take off I hear a strange soft "woop..woop ..woop" sound. Does anybody else have this and know what it is or had work done to correct it? I thought it might be the brakes but, I'm beginning to think it may be a bearing.

There is evidence to suggest among other owners that it is the rear brakes dragging a bit. A very early owner had this issue intermittently (I have had it, too, but it is gone now) and his issue did not resolve until the rear brakes were replaced. I believe he had a video of his car making the sound.

italophile
04-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Mine did that for a while, too. It hasn't done it in the last couple of months other than right after I wash it. I'm not sure if there's an ultimate 'fix', but I would guess that it has to do with the rotors being slightly out of true, which could be solved by having them turned.

Roadpizza
04-29-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks guys, I was thinking it may have to do with the brakes myself. It was good to have your input. I'll mention it at the oil change and hopefully it will taken care of at that time. Other then that issue, I'm good with the Pop...

wildeyed
04-30-2012, 08:18 AM
I've had my car for 20K km and it did this for the first time last weekend. It sounded like I had a hoot-owl in the rear. It was definitely tied to the brakes and felt like "rub" timed with wheel rotation. I also had a major brake squeal (coincidental) while reversing at the same time this problem cropped up. After some brake stomping while travelling in forward and reverse in a parking lot it was pretty clear that it was caliper lag of some sort. I never could figure out which rear wheel was most affected. In any event it stopped after two days and hasn't recurred. It was very rainy when it happend. I wonder of water is a factor? I'm keeping a ear open for a return of the noise and I'm telling my dealer when I go in next time. If my brakes are worn thin prematurely I want it logged as a possible cause.

cmj912
04-30-2012, 09:11 AM
I've had my car for 20K km and it did this for the first time last weekend. It sounded like I had a hoot-owl in the rear. It was definitely tied to the brakes and felt like "rub" timed with wheel rotation. I also had a major brake squeal (coincidental) while reversing at the same time this problem cropped up. After some brake stomping while travelling in forward and reverse in a parking lot it was pretty clear that it was caliper lag of some sort. I never could figure out which rear wheel was most affected. In any event it stopped after two days and hasn't recurred. It was very rainy when it happend. I wonder of water is a factor? I'm keeping a ear open for a return of the noise and I'm telling my dealer when I go in next time. If my brakes are worn thin prematurely I want it logged as a possible cause.

That's a good idea. I logged it so that there would be no question.

When the service techs looked at my car they said my brakes were in perfect condition. They said "we wish Chrysler used the Magnetti-Marelli brake pads on all their cars!"...

As for damage or premature wear, they said I had light glazing on the pads which could come from constant high heat (makes sense, I drive in stop and go traffic) but that was it.

They would not be able to tell if they were out of round without turning the rotors unless I miss my guess, but FWIW the original poster who said something about this problem said it didn't go away completely until a new set of rear brakes were installed.

My noise went away and hasn't been back for about 2k miles. I do get some squeak and the emergency brake grabs like a greedy beggar, but that's it.

wildeyed
05-01-2012, 02:40 PM
I had the noise again, just now. And I revise my assessment: it's way more like a mourning dove than a hoot-owl! In any event it's a dry day and the hooting happens in both forward and reverse immediately upon first starting out, just as before. It certainly related to wheel rotation as it speeds up and slows down with the car. It was also, once again, preceeded by brake squeal when reversing. It seems to disappear when you get up to speed - but is that just when it becomes inaudible? I'll be really curious to see if my brakes are prematurely worn at my one year check-up.

Roadpizza
05-01-2012, 07:30 PM
It is for the birds in any event. It needs to be addressed and I am glad to have started this thread. Seems FIAT may have a bit of " Fix it again Tony" going on and has to be rectified if they are serious about doing business here....

Pronto
05-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Sounds like the calipers do not fully retract on an intermittent basis. Sometimes the brake pads continue to stick to the disk after the parking brake has been removed especially when the parking break is applied when the discs were wet. Rust film appears on the disks almost immediately after they dry. Hope you figure this one out. It is quite a puzzle.

Leotxn
05-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Could be the semi metalic pads that are used. I had a similar / worse issue with my current vehicle (not a fiat). Ate two sets of rotors (poorly designed front rotors) upgrade rotors to a vented style and changed pads to a ceremic, which fixed my brake issues. Maybe when your ready for new pads upgrade to ceremic, I think they are great.

Ceremic also cuts your brake dust, which could be building up and causing you calipers to stick.

Sorry for edit I had miss typed a bunch, problems typing with a hand brace on at the moment lol.

Chris
05-02-2012, 07:08 AM
Yes- I have the same issue- right rear... water does seem to matter some and it was awful in the winter.

cmj912
05-02-2012, 08:35 AM
As I said, the original person who posted on this issue (a Prima owner) noted it late last year, I think. The issue was not fully resolved until the rear brakes were totally replaced.

When the dealer looked at my brakes (maybe 2k miles ago), he said they found nothing abnormal in their operation or wear. Light glazing on all four pads was all they said they noticed. So they cleaned them up and put everything back on.

Still happened very intermittently.

If you are serious about getting it taken care of, the only way to "document" it may be to do what the original owner did: videotape it.

1) Make sure it is going to be a cool-ish evening. (It seems to disappear during wet or cold weather)
2) Set the emergency brake. Pull up nice and firm so its nice and tight.
3) Soak the brakes and wheels with the hose.
4) Let the car sit 10-12-14 hours overnight.
5) Video your startup and reversing out of the driveway or wherever. Best to have a friend/spouse/other person do it if you can.

I am afraid that unless you can reproduce this condition for the Studio they will probably claim there's nothing they can do about it.

I can't find the original post right now but the owner is on this board and responded to me when I starting talking in his thread again. Perhaps he still has the video and would be willing to share it with you so you can see if it is definitely the same thing. One of the options you could consider if you are assertive is having his Studio call yours and document how they figured it out and corrected it. Unless I miss my guess he made them watch the video and then they went ahead and fixed the car.