PDA

View Full Version : Abarth shift up lights not working.

Fiat411
04-29-2012, 12:45 AM
9 days of bliss. However, one thing I've noticed is that my shift up light is not working. Not sure if it is something I'm doing wrong, or a bug in the car. Any other glitches out there besides this?

SLOABARTH
04-29-2012, 12:52 AM
Mine is not working either.:disturbed: I was going to check on the fuse, but did not have a chance to do that yet. I will cruise by the studio tomorrow and see if they can take a look at it.

Fiat411
04-29-2012, 12:56 AM
Mine is not working either.:disturbed: I was going to check on the fuse, but did not have a chance to do that yet. I will cruise by the studio tomorrow and see if they can take a look at it.

I checked the fuse on my car and it looks fine. I'm worried that it is not working because the psi is not dialed in properly, or worse that there is an issue with turbo that could lead to bigger problems. I'm on a road trip with the car and the closet dealer is about 600 miles away.

Giuseppe
04-29-2012, 01:52 AM
I am speculating here, but is the light something that can be turned on and off in the cluster interface? If so, that would be great. I am not looking forward to a "shift up" light.

Fiat500USA
04-29-2012, 02:49 AM
From what I understand, if you are in Sport mode, it only comes on at red-line. In normal mode, I've heard it comes on at lower speeds for fuel economy, however, I have also heard it only works in Sport mode. So there is some ambiguity here.

wachuko
04-29-2012, 07:04 AM
Check your menu options and validate your setup. It can be configured to work only in Sport mode or both modes.

Corrnaus
04-29-2012, 07:39 AM
I test drove one also and the shift light wasn't coming on either.. My dealer said he thinks that the shift light comes on between 4000 and 4500 in normal mode.. Since the car only had 70km on it and well under the break in period I did not see it come on cause shift were under 4000rpm.. If you have a new one and being strict with your staying under 4000rpm, that could be why you are not seeing it yet. hope this helps

Abarth01
04-29-2012, 08:00 AM
From the 500USA forum:

Operation
The warning light in the boost gauge signals the ideal time to change gears. The gear change indication (arrow pointing upwards and words SHIFT UP) displays a suggestion to change up to a higher gear.

With the ignition in the MAR (run) position, the gear change indicator lights up and goes out together with the instrument panel warning lights. Afterwards, the up arrow and the words SHIFT UP light up each time there is a suggestion to change to a higher gear.

Note: The light signalled provided by the instrument depends on the driving mode selected.

With the SPORT mode on, the signalling is only activated at the maximum engine speed.

With the NORMAL mode activated, the signalling is determined by the engine computer to achieve the best driving economy.

Fiat500USA
04-29-2012, 10:50 AM
From the 500USA forum:

Operation
The warning light in the boost gauge signals the ideal time to change gears. The gear change indication (arrow pointing upwards and words SHIFT UP) displays a suggestion to change up to a higher gear.

With the ignition in the MAR (run) position, the gear change indicator lights up and goes out together with the instrument panel warning lights. Afterwards, the up arrow and the words SHIFT UP light up each time there is a suggestion to change to a higher gear.

Note: The light signalled provided by the instrument depends on the driving mode selected.

With the SPORT mode on, the signalling is only activated at the maximum engine speed.

With the NORMAL mode activated, the signalling is determined by the engine computer to achieve the best driving economy.

I received this info from Fiat SpA (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/04/look-at-fiat-500-abarth-turbo-boost.html)and it is based on European operation. I expect the one in the US Fiat 500 Abarth to operate similarly. Getting confirmation from Fiat USA is sometimes spotty...

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
04-29-2012, 12:59 PM
Off topic but someone at Fiat should put out an Abarth owners manual on line.

cspak71
04-29-2012, 02:19 PM
Mine doesn't light up in normal mode, from what I recall. But in sport mode, it did work when I neared redline...

And it's true, there is a setting in the menus that configures when it works and when it doesn't.

alittle1
04-29-2012, 03:33 PM
I received this info from Fiat SpA (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/04/look-at-fiat-500-abarth-turbo-boost.html)and it is based on European operation. I expect the one in the US Fiat 500 Abarth to operate similarly. Getting confirmation from Fiat USA is sometimes spotty...

Did you try looking in the Owner's manual CD that came with your owner's book? Seems like a logical place.

Fiat411
04-29-2012, 05:46 PM
From the 500USA forum:

Operation

I tried all the various settings normal, sport, normal/sport, and still not working. Not a big deal, but would like to understand why it is not working. I need to take the car to the dealer on Wednesday because the side flare on the driver side is coming off. I'll have the tech check over the car to see what's up with the up shift light.

Abarth01
04-29-2012, 08:37 PM

Yep, looks like the same place I saw my info.

Abarth01
04-29-2012, 08:38 PM
I tried all the various settings normal, sport, normal/sport, and still not working. Not a big deal, but would like to understand why it is not working. I need to take the car to the dealer on Wednesday because the side flare on the driver side is coming off. I'll have the tech check over the car to see what's up with the up shift light.

I'll be interested in what you find out. Just be glad there isn't anything wrong with the actual boost. That would be bad juju.

trevc
04-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Mine only comes on during the initial power on test and I have it configured so it is supposed to work in normal and sport mode. I haven't been over 4000 rpm yet and was thinking that was probably why.

Giuseppe
04-29-2012, 09:07 PM
I can only hope mine does not work or I can disable it. I do not need vehicle electronics telling me when to shift up. I think after driving manual transmissions for as many years as I have, I feel confident I can figure it out on my own. The light is reminiscent of the early 90's GM pickups and SUV's that had a "shift up" light. I loathed that damn light.

wachuko
04-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Well... I can report that same issue is happening with mine. Only turns on at the startup of the car when it is doing the check of all lights... and then only when the car reaches redline (yeah, did it once to test it :D )...

As some have said, not a big deal as I don't use it anyway... will have the dealer check it out when I take it for the first oil change.

cspak71
04-30-2012, 12:30 AM
Ok, so I did a test.

The gear shift up light is enabled to work in both normal and sports mode (check)
Drive in normal mode (check)

So, it seems that the shift up light still functions in normal mode but only turns on when you redline the engine. Ultimately, there isn't any difference in normal or sports mode for the shift light. Not sure if it was just marketing hype or if someone didn't actually program the normal mode to adjust accordingly.

Fiat500USA
04-30-2012, 12:30 AM
Did you try looking in the Owner's manual CD that came with your owner's book? Seems like a logical place.

I didn't have access to the CD Manual when I posted this on April 13. The information I have on this feature from FIAT USA is from a few months ago and very preliminary and may be the rough copy of the Abarth owners manual. I haven't seen CD version to confirm.

Fiat500USA
05-01-2012, 01:13 PM
I received the info from Fiat. The upshift light is implemented differently from the European Abarth. The upshift lamp on the USA Abarth is a “drag racer’s” shift light only – it illuminates 0.3 sec before you hit fuel cutoff, regardless of mode. The North American Abarth owner’s manual recommends upshift speeds on page 202 for maximum fuel economy (see table below).

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Pz_IaBe7O_c/T6AVZEg-IVI/AAAAAAAAL9Y/s4XNjSYHlW4/s800/Abarth%2520recomended%2520Shift%2520Speeds.jpg

05-01-2012, 01:23 PM
I received the info from Fiat. The upshift light is implemented differently from the European Abarth. The upshift lamp on the USA Abarth is a “drag racer’s” shift light only – it illuminates 0.3 sec before you hit fuel cutoff, regardless of mode. The North American Abarth owner’s manual recommends upshift speeds on page 202 for maximum fuel economy (see table below).

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Pz_IaBe7O_c/T6AVZEg-IVI/AAAAAAAAL9Y/s4XNjSYHlW4/s800/Abarth%2520recomended%2520Shift%2520Speeds.jpg

So, in essense (or esseesse-ence) it will only come on just before you blow it up? Hence we wont see it even under spirited "legal" street use? Sounds fine to me!

Abarth67
05-01-2012, 01:30 PM
My shift light works great. I noticed that you can control the settings of how the light acts in the menu.

wachuko
05-01-2012, 02:08 PM

So useless then in Normal/Sport...? Does not make sense that you can select between Normal/Sport or Sport to have it work the same... with all due respect Chris, sounds fishy to me...

wachuko
05-01-2012, 02:09 PM
My shift light works great. I noticed that you can control the settings of how the light acts in the menu.

Can you further clarify your response?

If you select Normal/Sport the shift light turns on at the optimal fuel efficiency moment?

If you select Sport the shift light turns on just as you reach redline?

cspak71
05-01-2012, 03:19 PM

Could you be more specific on what you mean by works great? When in normal mode, does it light up to tell you to shift prior to redline? As I tested mine, it works fine in normal mode as well but it doesn't function any differently than it does in sport mode, which is to say that it lights up near redline, not any algorithim to help improve gas mileage or anything like that. Seems to me that many people here are thinking that it's not functioning because they are expecting it to light up well before redline, which is what I would have thought too.

Thad
05-01-2012, 03:25 PM
When I test drove the Abarth, I noticed the shift up light on as the revs were near the redline only. I shifted quickly and didn't stay at that rpm for longer than a fraction of a second. It looked like the light blinked as I shifted. Looks like a pretty useless feature to me.

trevc
05-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Would be nice if we could set at what RPM it lights up from the EVIC and maybe have one setting for Normal and one for Sport.

Fiat500USA
05-01-2012, 04:45 PM
So useless then in Normal/Sport...? Does not make sense that you can select between Normal/Sport or Sport to have it work the same... with all due respect Chris, sounds fishy to me...

This information is direct from a very high level. I didn't get into why the change in normal mode, but I'll speculate a lot of people don't like upshift lights
Constantly flashing. The shift light looks to work the same as the Euro car when in sport mode.

wachuko
05-01-2012, 04:55 PM
This information is direct from a very high level. I didn't get into why the change in normal mode, but I'll speculate a lot of people don't like upshift lights
Constantly flashing. The shift light looks to work the same as the Euro car when in sport mode.

Thank you for the additional information on the source. My point is why would they have two modes that do exactly the same? Makes no sense.

I am the least bother by it. Good to know that it will only work just before hitting redline, independent of mode.

SeaDawg
05-01-2012, 05:12 PM

Not to stimulate discussion, but I had to smile reading this thread as so many people had commented/complained about electronic nannies, etc.. Then when the car actually arrives it doesn't have the nanny feature enabled and instead of saying YES, and doing a fist pump, they start wailing and gnashing their teeth about why it doesn't work, ROFLMAO.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.:tears_of_joy:

wachuko
05-01-2012, 05:20 PM
Not to stimulate discussion, but I had to smile reading this thread as so many people had commented/complained about electronic nannies, etc.. Then when the car actually arrives it doesn't have the nanny feature enabled and instead of saying YES, and doing a fist pump, they start wailing and gnashing their teeth about why it doesn't work, ROFLMAO.

Hahahahaha. I am actually glad it works the way it does now... I will find a cool Abarth emblem like the one on the gas door and stick it in the middle of the gauge! :)

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/emblem_copy1.jpg

FiatCares
05-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Thank you for the additional information on the source. My point is why would they have two modes that do exactly the same? Makes no sense.

I am the least bother by it. Good to know that it will only work just before hitting redline, independent of mode.

I was told that in the Sport model, the shift light only illuminates at redline..is this not the case?

cmj912
05-02-2012, 10:57 AM

I remember the people on the Volvo forum complaining that the BLIS indicator was going to be "distracting" and could possibly cause them to get into an accident.
As we know, that's the blind-spot indicator that lights up (and sounds a chime if you want) when there's a car in your blind spot.

When I was watching videos of the Euro Abarth from inside you do see the light come on frequently. I did think that it might be annoying to have it come on all the time when I'm just driving to the 7-11, but even more interesting is the fact that a change was made for US when I wouldn't have expected that.

wachuko
05-02-2012, 11:08 AM
I was told that in the Sport model, the shift light only illuminates at redline..is this not the case?

Jonathan,

In Sport mode, the shift light does indeed illuminates at redline.

In Normal/Sport, the shift light illuminates at redline...

It behaves the same independent of mode...

Fiat411
05-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Ok it is official, hissing noise is NOT normal. Whirling noise is. The problem with my car is due to a missing clamp on one of the hoses. This missing clam is also the reason why my shift up light is not working.

FiatCares
05-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Ok it is official, hissing noise is NOT normal. Whirling noise is. The problem with my car is due to a missing clamp on one of the hoses. This missing clam is also the reason why my shift up light is not working.

Fiat411: Im glad it was found out.. was it self diagnosed or was it by the studio?

Fiat411
05-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Fiat411: Im glad it was found out.. was it self diagnosed or was it by the studio?

The studio.

iBARTH
05-03-2012, 07:53 AM
humm... mine is not working either...

pchop
05-04-2012, 09:39 PM
add me to the list of the non working shift light in normal mode.

iBARTH
05-10-2012, 10:11 PM
so.... I went to Fiat of Alexandria today (btw, Kendra Cox is super nice and very accommodating) and, after testing it, they basically told me that my shift light worked fine... It seems that I simply never "redlined" it per say! So in other words, it really needs to be push upthere in those RED numbers on the speedometer in order to come up (not "almost" there). I drove it harder (with the technician - very nice too) and indeed, saw the flashing "shift up" once I was in the RED. I must say, it felt beyond shifting point to me... and I can drive things hard (I had a JCW Coopers S). So if this can help anyone here, I would say that before counting your clips or worrying too much, make sure you rev it up high enough (after you break-in period of course hehehe...).

I am happy that it is all working fine, and to some extent, happy that the "shift up" is not flashing every 5 seconds either...only when pushed hard.

So yeah, basically, I love this car.

Fiat500USA
05-11-2012, 01:58 AM
I received the info from Fiat. The upshift light is implemented differently from the European Abarth. The upshift lamp on the USA Abarth is a “drag racer’s” shift light only – it illuminates 0.3 sec before you hit fuel cutoff, regardless of mode. The North American Abarth owner’s manual recommended shift speeds on page 202 for maximum fuel economy (see table below).

Just for those who missed this post. The shift light illuminates just before fuel cut off (into the redline). I don't blame anyone for not checking this out (at least for the 300 mile or so break in). To keep the thread accurate, please test your car out in the above scenario (after you break it in;)) before you post it is not working.

txdesign
05-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Those shift speeds are nuts. Maybe I have a heavy right foot but who shifts into 4th at 29mph and 5th at 38? It's not a Camry.

SeaDawg
05-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Those shift speeds are nuts. Maybe I have a heavy right foot but who shifts into 4th at 29mph and 5th at 38? It's not a Camry.

Please note: The North American Abarth owner’s manual recommended shift speeds on page 202 for maximum fuel economy (see table below).

Obviously some people, such as yourself, didn't buy an Abarth to be economical and/or in some cases drive sanely, however, that doesn't mean that everyone shares your views/opinions.

You are of course entitled to your opinion. And it is probably evident, that I don't necessarily fully embrace that opinion, LOL.:angel:

txdesign
05-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Please note: The North American Abarth owner’s manual recommended shift speeds on page 202 for maximum fuel economy (see table below).

Obviously some people, such as yourself, didn't buy an Abarth to be economical and/or in some cases drive sanely, however, that doesn't mean that everyone shares your views/opinions.

You are of course entitled to your opinion. And it is probably evident, that I don't necessarily fully embrace that opinion, LOL.:angel:

Thanks for the lengthy reply to my somewhat tongue in cheek post. Even if I was nursing the car to the nearest gas station on fumes I would not shift into 5th at 38.
Most people I would think shift by ear/rpm, so wouldn't it be easier to say for max. fuel economy shift at 2500 rpm.

seanbartlett
05-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Hey guys first time on any kind of forum so bear with me. I just picked up my Abarth 2 days ago and needless to say I love it. In regards to the GSI, I haven't had any issues in either sport or normal modes. However I did notice that in the EVIC display, right below the snowflake icon the word "shift" appears in between an up and a down arrow. It's difficult to see but it's there. Does anyone else see this and or know how to activate it?

pauljromanelli
06-04-2012, 12:13 PM
The shift up indicator does not come on in any mode on the US Fiat Abarth. I was told by the dealer it will come on at excessive rpm's but I have not been able to get it to activate in any mode. The US Abarth does not have menu options for the shift up indicator.

FiatCares
06-04-2012, 12:49 PM
The shift up indicator does not come on in any mode on the US Fiat Abarth. I was told by the dealer it will come on at excessive rpm's but I have not been able to get it to activate in any mode. The US Abarth does not have menu options for the shift up indicator.

pauljromanelli: I agree with you and what the studio advised. Im thinking you do not want to see that light come on.. It should only come on if you reallllllllly should shift up or down, meaning u are red-lining the engine....

cmj912
06-05-2012, 08:57 AM
Hey guys first time on any kind of forum so bear with me. I just picked up my Abarth 2 days ago and needless to say I love it. In regards to the GSI, I haven't had any issues in either sport or normal modes. However I did notice that in the EVIC display, right below the snowflake icon the word "shift" appears in between an up and a down arrow. It's difficult to see but it's there. Does anyone else see this and or know how to activate it?

Our instrument clusters contain some icons that do not function in our market, such as the start/stop mode (the S inside a circle with the arrows around it) the glow-plug indicator for the diesel (or plug-in for the engine block warmer), etc.

Check out the 'easter egg' thread for some of these interesting items...

sirensound
06-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Count me in. Picked up my car on 6/2 and the turbo boost/shift light has never worked. I verified all my settings are correct in the EVIC. Looks like I will be making a trip to the dealer. One more thing for you guys to look out for- the rear emblem chipping. I'm buying this to take care of it: http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=500&sid=U40004A

FiatCares
06-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Count me in. Picked up my car on 6/2 and the turbo boost/shift light has never worked. I verified all my settings are correct in the EVIC. Looks like I will be making a trip to the dealer. One more thing for you guys to look out for- the rear emblem chipping. I'm buying this to take care of it: http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=500&sid=U40004A

sirensound: If needed, I am here to help ya.. if you find your self at the studio w them throwing up their arms, PM me with your VIN and Ill do what I can to work some magic...

ahh-bert
06-25-2012, 10:59 PM
And here I thought that it never went on because I'm so PERFECT at shifting! :)

Fiat500USA
06-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Just in case some have missed this post. This is how the shift light works:

This is the correct info from the HIGHEST source. It is not speculation, heresay, or third party info. I go right to the top for everyone! ;)

AbarthUSA
06-26-2012, 10:26 AM
The above is correct, but you do have the option to have it work in just the Sport mode. That is the way I set it up, and you do have to get it right up to the rev limit.

trevc
06-26-2012, 02:21 PM
Finally plucked up the courage and got mine to come on the other day :smug:

ahh-bert
06-29-2012, 03:01 AM
I went 60 mph in second gear. It blinked at me. Boyfriend yelled at me to "NEVER do that again!" So I got both of them blinking mad! :) Guess I'm not so perfect at shifting!!!

Pinecone
06-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Red line and the blinking light are the limit. I would assume that the car has a rev limiter to prevent over revving. So tell your boyfriend to shut up, Italian cars LIKE to be revved.

b56.1m6
06-29-2012, 09:53 AM
I went 60 mph in second gear. It blinked at me. Boyfriend yelled at me to "NEVER do that again!" So I got both of them blinking mad! :) Guess I'm not so perfect at shifting!!!

Who's car is it? Who's making the payments? If both answers are you and he wont have to fix it drive it like you stole it if you feel like it!

Fiat500USA
06-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Tell your boyfriend not to worry. As long as you warm up your car, take care of the oil and let the car cool down, hitting the redline isn't going to hurt anything. Italian cars are meant to be revved, and some of the old timers will know what I mean. The easiest way to go faster in a Fiat is use another 1,000 or 2,000 rpm! Right now, someone is blasting down the Autobahn, route, strada at redline probably for miles at a time, so hitting redline once in a while is nothing to be feared. It is part of the experience!

ahh-bert
06-29-2012, 06:04 PM
I just thought it was funny/cute because he has this big ol' new Camero and a little tire chirping should have been just fine with him, KWIM? His car should/could probably do that easily if he wanted it to. It was just completely out of character for me, so that's why he was alarmed. I pretty much drive like a granny on her way to church. (And not that Beach Boys Pasadena granny, either...LOL)

Pinecone
06-29-2012, 06:30 PM
No, more like the granny that a friend met up with one day. With a V8 in a Model T. :)

Me thinks you doth protect too much. If you really drove that sedately, you would not have bought the Abarth. :D

ahh-bert
06-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Just think when I learn to blip the shift!

Pinecone
06-30-2012, 07:04 AM
Only downshifts. :)

And on the Abarth, you can get a nice POP out of the exhaust. :)

I enjoyed that on the test drive.

ahh-bert
07-01-2012, 03:05 AM
I'm going to wait on this until someone can demonstrate. Maybe in LA in November... LOL

Pinecone
07-01-2012, 07:50 AM
Blipping is easy.

Just as you push the shifter into the lower gear, give the accelerator pedal a tap to cause the engine to rev. It does not have to be exact, any is better than none. Then when you release the clutch (right after the blip), you won't get a jerk.

Now, the next level up with the double clutch downshift. This one also reduces wear and tear to the tranny. You push in the clutch, shift to neutral, release the clutch, blip the throttle, push in the clutch, put the tranny into the next lower gear, release the clutch. Sounds complicated, but it is easy to learn. You have to be somewhat quick, as you are trying to release the clutch the second time with the engine speed still up a bit.

And the ultimate goal of driving a manual tranny well is the heel and toe double clutch downshift. This is where you do the double clutch downshift, while also braking. To do this, you put the ball of your foot on the right side of the brake pedal, so that you can reach the accelerator with the right side of your foot. So while braking, you roll your foot to blip the throttle. Done properly, there is no change in braking level while you do this.

But there is nothing like seeing and hearing a car under braking do a nice downshift with throttle blip. :)

But I will warn you, if you are single female, being able to do this well will scare off MOST men, as they cannot do it. :) OTOH, some will immediately ask you to marry them. :D

If you were closer, I would offer to teach you. Then maybe ask to marry you. :)

ahh-bert
07-02-2012, 02:02 AM
Pinecone - you are a true gentleman! :) I'll go somewhere out a country road and try this... Then I'll let you know if we are engaged.

Pinecone
07-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Works for me.

I do provide personal instruction to select drivers. Normally young and female. And now days, young is a VERY wide range. :)

johniew398
07-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Anyone know what page this is covered in the owner's manual. I just went through the manual and couldn't find it.

Dwaynek
07-16-2012, 01:28 AM
don't believe it is in manual

PapaSandro
07-16-2012, 10:17 AM
I still am in the babyin stage of the car. No red lining for me yet!

FiatCares
07-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Anyone know what page this is covered in the owner's manual. I just went through the manual and couldn't find it.

I dont believe it in the manual, but the shift light will only come on if you red-line it.. so I wouldn't do it.. :)

paook
08-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Yes, the shift up light comes on when you redline. I verified today by passing a slow taxi in a 35 mph no-passing zone this morning...

Second bit of information - 2nd gear redlines at about 60 mph.

Robert Nixon
08-17-2012, 08:40 PM
From the Abarth manual I found on line, this is on page 150:

GSI Shift Up
With this function active, the boost gauge will display a
shift up message and up arrow at the appropriate time of
shift.
To change the setting proceed as follows:
1. Briefly press the MENU ESC button “Normal/Sport”
or “Sport” will flash on the display (according to the
previous setting).
2. Press the + or – button for setting.
3. Briefly press the MENU ESC button to go back to the
menu screen, or press and hold the MENU ESC button
(approximately one second) to go back to the main screen
without storing the settings.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
08-17-2012, 09:42 PM
It has been my experience that it only comes on when approaching red line, I saw before it once before on a missed shift.

Fiat500USA
08-18-2012, 02:13 AM
Just in case some have missed this post. This is how the shift light works (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/05/us-fiat-500-abarth-upshift-light.html). I've also posted it in this thread.

Don't be terrified to hit the redline in your car. There is a rev-limiter that keeps things in check (provided you are not going down hill or downshifting, etc). This is not a lazy pushrod V8 using 1950s technology. Fiat engines were turning 11,000 rpm in the 1970s. They know how to build engines, no worries.

Pinecone
08-18-2012, 06:21 AM
Actually, for this engine/transmission combo, for most shifts, redline is the proper place to shift for maximum acceleration.

Fiat500USA
08-18-2012, 09:58 AM
Actually, for this engine/transmission combo, for most shifts, redline is the proper place to shift for maximum acceleration.

The first modification someone should make when they want their car to be faster is modify their driving habits and USE MORE RPM. If you are not using the full rpm range of the engine you are leaving HP on the table. In a performance driving situation, don't drive the car like the engine will explode at 5 grand. It's not. Raise your shift points and you'll be surprised how much faster the car is.

jguerdat
08-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Heh. I still have problems running into the rev limiter HARD because I'm so used to my S2000's 9k rpm limit. Oh, for another 1000 rpm... ;)

Pinecone
08-19-2012, 08:40 AM
The first modification someone should make when they want their car to be faster is modify their driving habits and USE MORE RPM. If you are not using the full rpm range of the engine you are leaving HP on the table. In a performance driving situation, don't drive the car like the engine will explode at 5 grand. It's not. Raise your shift points and you'll be surprised how much faster the car is.

It depends on the gear spacing. MOST cars get maximum performance with less than red shifts. The Abarth and my E46 M3 are not normal in that the shift points are at redline.

To determine shift points, you graph the torque delivered to the driving wheels against road speed and over all the gears. Torque delivered is directly related to acceleration (F=MA) so when the torque delivered in one gear becomes less than the torque delivered in the next higher gear, you shift.

Below are the graph for the Abarth and the regular 500. Notice the 4th to 5th upshift on the Abarth is NOT at redline for maximum acceleration. And all the shifts for the non-Abarth 500 are below redline. Each data point is 500 RPM.

Fiat500USA
08-19-2012, 08:58 PM
Yes, this is true that each car has its own sweet spot for maximum acceleration. The points I want to make is not to be afraid of using the full rpm range of your Fiat. Many of the old time Fiat owners here will remember Fiat factory test drivers shifting 1,000 to 1,500 above the redline. While the electronics won't let you do that anymore, hitting high engine speeds is not going to grenade a healthy engine.

My other point is that many folks lament the lack of performance, yet they never bring the engine up to a speed where it is producing power. For the average person, maybe one who grew up driving Detroit iron and never takes their car over 4 or 5,000 rpm; just raising your shift points will make a difference.

This is especially true for those who install performance camshaft(s), header(s) and/or an exhaust, etc. These mods almost guarantee raising the engine speed where peak output is made, and again many drivers still short shift their car and miss the benefit of the modifications.

jguerdat
08-20-2012, 07:49 AM
Many of the old time Fiat owners here will remember Fiat factory test drivers shifting 1,000 to 1,500 above the redline.

In the '70s, I found out about this when my wife took me out on an autocross fun run in our '70 850 Sport Coupe (with the BIG engine - all 903cc!) so I could critique her driving. I kept waiting for her to shift which she did at about 7800 RPM (redline at 7k). I started experimenting and settled on 8k for safety but even used an extrapolated 8500 (off the scale) on one event where I would have had to shift to 3rd and then right back into 2nd with the weak synchro. WAY off the power band but saved a couple of shifts.

My other point is that many folks lament the lack of performance, yet they never bring the engine up to a speed where it is producing power. For the average person, maybe one who grew up driving Detroit iron and never takes their car over 4 or 5,000 rpm; just raising your shift points will make a difference.

Exactly. Use it or lose it.

Pinecone
08-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Fiat500USA - That I will agree with. :)

And yes, most people will not use the rev range, but it has to be used with knowledge, not abused. And as my charts show the shift point for the Abarth is red line. But for non-Abarth, while still pretty high RPM, it is lower than redline.

Heck, 8K on a 903 is nothing, I hiot an estimated 14,000 in my 850 Spider. Solo 2 divisional at Watkins Glen. Seems the little spring that moves the shifter from the 1 - 2 gate to the 3 - 4 gate broke, and I "upshifted" from 2nd to 1st. Little engine was fine.

jguerdat
08-21-2012, 08:00 AM
Heck, 8K on a 903 is nothing, I hiot an estimated 14,000 in my 850 Spider. Solo 2 divisional at Watkins Glen. Seems the little spring that moves the shifter from the 1 - 2 gate to the 3 - 4 gate broke, and I "upshifted" from 2nd to 1st. Little engine was fine.

What year was that? Divisionals at Watkins Glen means early '80s? Talk about being off the power curve...

Pinecone
08-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Actually mid-70s.

Course one was down the pits anti-race direction, the out the pit in, and down the front straight. Course two started at the instep of the boot, went anti-race up to the NASCAR cutoff, along that, down to the heel and finished on the sole of teh boot. GREAT FUN.

I was running a set of FF front tires. I ran street tires in local events, as race tires put you in Mod, but SCCA ran race tires in all classes. No R-comps back then.

paook
08-23-2012, 12:24 AM
Below are the graph for the Abarth and the regular 500.

Where did you come across those? Did you test yourself on a dyno?

Pinecone
08-23-2012, 06:29 AM
I got the torque figures from the Fiat 500 USA blog/site.

I have an Excel spreadsheet that calculates the driven wheel torque versus speed and does the graphs. You also have to put in the gear ratio for each gear, and the final drive ratio.

MrFiat
09-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Fiat500USA - That I will agree with. :)

And yes, most people will not use the rev range, but it has to be used with knowledge, not abused. And as my charts show the shift point for the Abarth is red line. But for non-Abarth, while still pretty high RPM, it is lower than redline.

Before I put the 1000 OT engine in the Zagato I had it completely balanced to .1 gram on all the parts and the crank spun out to 15k. The engines done this way will easily take the revs and most of the time the limiting factor of the old engines is the valve springs. The contra-wound double valve springs on the 903-850 and OT Abarth motors are said to be good to at least 14k before they start to let the valves float. No Shift up lights on these cars! From personal experience I can tell you that 14,000 is completely doable. (This is the old Abarth motor I'm talking about here, not the new one.) These days however I'm not so inclined to push the old car quite that hard since it's getting to be more valuable than I am and my reflexes aren't what they used to be! :sulkiness:

But Chris is right. If you're looking for power, with almost any small displacement engines, high RPM is your best friend!

D-abarth
11-07-2012, 02:07 PM
My GSI light comes on at 2000 RPM on normal mode, 40 MPH on 5 gear is this ok?
car only has 100+ miles.

Robert Nixon
11-07-2012, 05:28 PM
D-abarth,
I think that is correct, mine lights up earlier than I would normally shift, so I imagine the shift points are for better mileage, not faster starts!

Fiat500USA
11-08-2012, 01:30 AM
My GSI light comes on at 2000 RPM on normal mode, 40 MPH on 5 gear is this ok?
car only has 100+ miles.

D-abarth,
I think that is correct, mine lights up earlier than I would normally shift, so I imagine the shift points are for better mileage, not faster starts!

Do you guys have a 2013? That sounds like the way the European car is set up and is different than the 2012 car.

D-abarth
11-08-2012, 08:23 AM
yes I have a 2013. by the way I haven't see the light coming on (sport mode) but the car haven't see more than 3500 rpm, just got the car Saturday.

Dwaynek
11-08-2012, 10:15 AM
You need to be near 6500 rpm for shift light to come on.

Robert Nixon
11-08-2012, 10:21 AM
IN SPORT MODE = right, the gear shift indicator (GSI) only comes on close to redline
NOT IN SPORT MODE = the GSI comes on for all gears.

You can also adjust these settings in dash controls panel thingy.

Plainsman
11-08-2012, 12:15 PM
IN SPORT MODE = right, the gear shift indicator (GSI) only comes on close to redline
NOT IN SPORT MODE = the GSI comes on for all gears.

You can also adjust these settings in dash controls panel thingy.

This has me thinking that our 2012's never worked as they intended compared to the euro version and now the 2013's. The only time I see my shift up light is when the ignition is first turned on as it goes through the system checks. Then, nothing....

I haven't even noticed it working on high rpm runs as I'm too focused on the road in front of me.

Corrnaus
11-08-2012, 04:47 PM
This has me thinking that our 2012's never worked as they intended compared to the euro version and now the 2013's. The only time I see my shift up light is when the ignition is first turned on as it goes through the system checks. Then, nothing....

I haven't even noticed it working on high rpm runs as I'm too focused on the road in front of me.

With my Abarth you need to get to 6100rpm before the shift light comes on... at that point, that gear is pretty much out of juice.. but since the reflash the shift light doesnt come on till 6300rpm. So if you never bring your car that high, you will not see it. Plus you dont really need it to know when to shift

Thomas
11-08-2012, 11:46 PM
Have not had the PCM reflash yet, but agree with your info. I don't need a baby sitter to tell me when to shift on either end of the spectrum....but if I had to pick between the two, I'd pick the upper rev range.

With my Abarth you need to get to 6100rpm before the shift light comes on... at that point, that gear is pretty much out of juice.. but since the reflash the shift light doesnt come on till 6300rpm. So if you never bring your car that high, you will not see it. Plus you dont really need it to know when to shift

Fiat500USA
11-09-2012, 02:21 AM

This is how the upshift light works on the 2012 Abarth (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/05/us-fiat-500-abarth-upshift-light.html) This is from a top source. It appears the light works differently on the 2013 cars.

satellite
11-09-2012, 03:02 PM
This is how the upshift light works on the 2012 Abarth (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/05/us-fiat-500-abarth-upshift-light.html) This is from a top source. It appears the light works differently on the 2013 cars.

Seriously? Really starting to hate being an "early adopter"...they should be able to fix that with a software update, no?

Fiat500USA
11-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Seriously? Really starting to hate being an "early adopter"...they should be able to fix that with a software update, no?
Well it isn't exactly broken, just configured differently. I wouldn't mind it working like the euro car, though. Probably could do a software update but don't think they usually do that.

I hear you about being an early adapter. I like to build computers and as soon as you buy a component, a new design comes out and makes you start to second guess your purchase.

Pinecone
11-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Personally I do not want the shift light coming on the the low speeds recommended for economy. Look at the chart, it has you in 5th gear by 42 MPH. The stupid light would be flashing all the time. :)

William M Jacocks Jr
11-10-2012, 10:37 PM
I finally set my shift light to come on in economy mode. Dang, wants me to shift at 2200 rpm or thereabouts. LOL! I prefer to go to around 3500 before shifting, even for economy mode.

jguerdat
11-11-2012, 08:36 AM
How did you set that? I haven't seen anything in the menu settings. Or is it a difference in '12 vs '13 (I have a '12)?

Pinecone
11-11-2012, 08:48 AM
In the 12s you can set it work in Normal mode, but it still doesn't come on until near redline.

On the 13s, if you set it to work in Normal mode, it lights up for economy shifting.

jguerdat
11-11-2012, 06:42 PM
Gotcha, thanks.

wachuko
11-14-2012, 08:14 PM
Great.... #$%@^$%#^$%

I need to ask the service department if that is a simple software update or if it just can't be done on the '12...

In the 12s you can set it work in Normal mode, but it still doesn't come on until near redline.

On the 13s, if you set it to work in Normal mode, it lights up for economy shifting.

Tweak
11-14-2012, 09:11 PM

3 Pages (how I have the forum post displayed at least) and I kept wondering when it would be specified the differences in the 12 and 13 model years. On "the other" forum I posted the specifics touched on here partially in several posts.

For what it is worth and to contain all related info in a single post...

All models from the Pop, Lounge, Sport have a shift area in the center of the digital console that is never activated but can be seen at certain angles and lighting. That said this thread is specific to the Abarth so...

2012 The Shift indicator will only work at/near redline as mentioned before.
2013 models when you adjust within the menu to have it display in Normal it will light at conservative levels as the graph mentioned before will illustrate, when set to Sport mode it will behave like the 2012 models and work at/near redline.

Sorry is this is a repeat but it seemed ideal to contain all of the above information within a single post and to make mention of the fact the non Abarth models contain a shift light that is not actually functional. Again my apologies if this is too redundant and if so desired by the staff delete or edit as you see fit, it won't bother me and I do not intend to simply repeat information already provided.

Pinecone
11-15-2012, 10:38 AM
And no, there is no update to the 12s to have the shift light work like the 13s.

mspace
12-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Wouldn't need the shift light if you could read the damn tach. Come to think of it, you can't see the shift light very well either. BTW, I ordered my manual from Chrysler, came quickly and is fairly useful.

Mike

jguerdat
12-06-2012, 08:30 AM
BTW, I ordered my manual from Chrysler, came quickly and is fairly useful.

The shop manual?

Fiat500USA
12-06-2012, 08:35 AM
The shop manual?

That's the owners manual. The shop manual is via online subscription at TechAuthority (https://www.techauthority.com/en-US/Pages/Home.aspx).

stratofortress
04-15-2013, 12:54 AM
Know this is a bit of an old thread, but thank god everyone else is saying how useless the shift light is...seems like it wants you to short shift the hell out of every gear (30mph and 4th gear...really?). wish we could individually program each gear change in the menu. guess i'll just read how to disable it completely since it's annoying as hell in city driving.

mkawa
04-15-2013, 12:55 AM
settings -> GSI -> econ: off

the whole thing is quite dumb

stratofortress
04-15-2013, 01:11 AM
settings -> GSI -> econ: off

the whole thing is quite dumbthanks, saved me a few mins of flipping through the manual. Doing this tomorrow before work...

William M Jacocks Jr
04-16-2013, 06:43 PM
Just hit the "Sport" button everytime you get in. That'll clear that problem. smtree2

louruiz
02-19-2015, 05:19 PM

I have not been able to get my shift light to work, and i push my lil pasta rocket. Ive tried all the settings and nothing. Could you tell us more about this clamp and where it might be located? Id hate for anything to happen to my car because of it. ...any info would be appreciated.

aelfwyne
02-19-2015, 06:04 PM
I have not been able to get my shift light to work, and i push my lil pasta rocket. Ive tried all the settings and nothing. Could you tell us more about this clamp and where it might be located? Id hate for anything to happen to my car because of it. ...any info would be appreciated.

If you're in Sport Mode, the shift light doesn't go off until you ARE AT REDLINE... seriously. It is telling you to shift at redline. Usually you're too busy shifting to notice, but if you look close it does do that. At least on my '15 Sport.

doverosx
02-20-2015, 09:16 AM
If you're in Sport Mode, the shift light doesn't go off until you ARE AT REDLINE... seriously. It is telling you to shift at redline. Usually you're too busy shifting to notice, but if you look close it does do that. At least on my '15 Sport.

I'll have to go for a rip again, but I'm positive it isn't working on my Abarth (2015). The only shift light I get is the indicator on the EVIC.

louruiz
02-20-2015, 12:23 PM
I'll have to go for a rip again, but I'm positive it isn't working on my Abarth (2015). The only shift light I get is the indicator on the EVIC.

Same here, but (2012). The yellow shift light will go on when I start it up, but never again. I've have tried driving around on the different shift settings but nothing happens.