PDA

View Full Version : RPM Gauge Sporadic

ace51
04-25-2012, 02:31 PM
Just picked up my black Abarth literally an hour or so ago (had 25 miles on it!). On the highway on the way home (a 25 mile drive) I noticed that when I would step on it the RPM gauge would not go above 2,500 RPM then if I lifted and put the clutch in the RPM's would drop to 0 (obviously the engine was still running though). Don't want to take it back to the dealership because its so bloody fun to drive! Anyone know where the pickup wire is for the tach?

GramCracker
04-25-2012, 02:52 PM
You might have better luck asking around on Abarthisti. It's the UK Abarth forum that has been around for a while, so odds are that problem might be covered there. It's worth a look!

pchop
04-25-2012, 02:55 PM
"Hey Luigi, do you know where da wire goes? No? Oh well..."

:D

ace51
04-25-2012, 03:25 PM
"Hey Luigi, do you know where da wire goes? No? Oh well..."

:D

you know that's probably it! but instead maybe it was Carlos who had too many cervezas!

FiatPhil
04-25-2012, 05:13 PM
We doan need no stinkin tach....

cspak71
04-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Just picked up my black Abarth literally an hour or so ago (had 25 miles on it!). On the highway on the way home (a 25 mile drive) I noticed that when I would step on it the RPM gauge would not go above 2,500 RPM then if I lifted and put the clutch in the RPM's would drop to 0 (obviously the engine was still running though). Don't want to take it back to the dealership because its so bloody fun to drive! Anyone know where the pickup wire is for the tach?

Honestly I thought I was the only one to experience this. I finally broke in the engine and tried to have a few spirited miles and noticed that the Tach would get stuck around the same mark despite how fast I was actually going. I didn't recall this being an issue in normal mode, and just isolated to sport mode. I think it may be a glitch in the computer system one that might be fixed with a potential firmware update.

That happened once so far, and hasn't happened again... if it's a fluke, it's a fluke.. if it happens again, it's going to be time to take to the dealer to diagnose. I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread to see how many other people may have this issue. It may be our first service bulletin.

ace51
04-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Honestly I thought I was the only one to experience this. I finally broke in the engine and tried to have a few spirited miles and noticed that the Tach would get stuck around the same mark despite how fast I was actually going. I didn't recall this being an issue in normal mode, and just isolated to sport mode. I think it may be a glitch in the computer system one that might be fixed with a potential firmware update.

That happened once so far, and hasn't happened again... if it's a fluke, it's a fluke.. if it happens again, it's going to be time to take to the dealer to diagnose. I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread to see how many other people may have this issue. It may be our first service bulletin.

Interesting, I'll have to try not putting mine in sport mode, and see what it does, its hard not to though!

cspak71
04-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Well folks.. I can confirm that it is in fact an issue. I'm not sure if it's only affecting ace51's and my car, but I encountered the same issue again earlier today. Considering the rarity of which it happens, I'm guessing that it may be a combination of weird factors that cause the tachometer to be in limp mode, but I was again unable to get the tachometer to go above 2,500 RPMs despite my actual RPM's. I've informed the service manager at my local dealership of the issue but cause I was unable to reproduce the issue (I stopped somewhere before heading to the dealership and it corrected/fixed/rebooted the tach) couldn't show him what exactly was going on.

I believe if more and more people are affected by this issue, we should probably try to figure out what circumstances are causing the problem so we can purposely reproduce the situation for someone at the dealership to diagnose.

As for me, my best guess at this moment is that I switch to sport mode while driving, and whether or not I might not have completely taken my foot off the accelerator, or need to be completely stopped before switching over, it's beyond me... but it definitely hasn't happened yet when I engage sport mode prior to leaving my parking space. I've also read the manual and it doesn't make any mention of having to do anything special to engage the sport mode outside of taking my foot off the accelerator.

Anyone else have this issue?

ace51
04-26-2012, 11:01 PM
Well folks.. I can confirm that it is in fact an issue. I'm not sure if it's only affecting ace51's and my car, but I encountered the same issue again earlier today. Considering the rarity of which it happens, I'm guessing that it may be a combination of weird factors that cause the tachometer to be in limp mode, but I was again unable to get the tachometer to go above 2,500 RPMs despite my actual RPM's. I've informed the service manager at my local dealership of the issue but cause I was unable to reproduce the issue (I stopped somewhere before heading to the dealership and it corrected/fixed/rebooted the tach) couldn't show him what exactly was going on.

I believe if more and more people are affected by this issue, we should probably try to figure out what circumstances are causing the problem so we can purposely reproduce the situation for someone at the dealership to diagnose.

As for me, my best guess at this moment is that I switch to sport mode while driving, and whether or not I might not have completely taken my foot off the accelerator, or need to be completely stopped before switching over, it's beyond me... but it definitely hasn't happened yet when I engage sport mode prior to leaving my parking space. I've also read the manual and it doesn't make any mention of having to do anything special to engage the sport mode outside of taking my foot off the accelerator.

Anyone else have this issue?

mine is doing it about everytime now, sport mode or not. I think I have a whopping 80 miles on it now, I'll have to take mine into the dealership if I can't see anything obvious under the hood. I'll let you know what they find if they find anything but it is doing it about everytime I've used it (to work and back, and to dinner last night!).

Hopefully it is not a big deal!

cspak71
04-27-2012, 12:14 AM
mine is doing it about everytime now, sport mode or not. I think I have a whopping 80 miles on it now, I'll have to take mine into the dealership if I can't see anything obvious under the hood. I'll let you know what they find if they find anything but it is doing it about everytime I've used it (to work and back, and to dinner last night!).

Hopefully it is not a big deal!

Hey Ace, sorry to hear that it's happening so often for you. Yes, please let me know if they're able to diagnose the problem so I can let my dealer know the cause. I'm assuming that with modern electronics the Tach isn't a mechanical connection but rather the computer reads the engine speed and then dials up the tach digitally to display and seeing as how that's computer controlled am hopeful that it just might be a bug in the software.

In a way, I'm somewhat glad your situation is more apparent so at least they can see it with their own eyes and diagnose it. Good luck.

cspak71
04-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Took my Abarth into the dealer cause it did it again, and they've diagnosed it as a faulty instrument cluster (seems like they've seen this before). The quirks of testing out new parts it seems.

nojeebs
04-27-2012, 11:07 PM
I wonder how wide spread this problem is. We'll see what happens to the future Abarths that hit the streets later next month.

ace51
04-27-2012, 11:39 PM
I wonder how wide spread this problem is. We'll see what happens to the future Abarths that hit the streets later next month.

I didn't get a chance to take mine in and the only tech my local dealer has is out of town next week. I found out though that 1 of the other 3 cars that was delivered (to my friend who owns an import tuner shop) is having the same issue too. The last 3 of my VIN are 943, wonder if there was a bad batch.

How long did it take them to fix yours? if they replace the instrument cluster does that mean the car will have a mileage discrepancy now on Carfax?

--Aaron

VTEC Mini
04-28-2012, 01:28 AM
I didn't get a chance to take mine in and the only tech my local dealer has is out of town next week. I found out though that 1 of the other 3 cars that was delivered (to my friend who owns an import tuner shop) is having the same issue too. The last 3 of my VIN are 943, wonder if there was a bad batch.

How long did it take them to fix yours? if they replace the instrument cluster does that mean the car will have a mileage discrepancy now on Carfax?
--Aaron

I t shouldn't since that info is stored in the main computer. The numbers you see are just a display.

cspak71
04-29-2012, 02:14 PM

--Aaron

Hey Aaron,

They've diagnosed the problem but I haven't taken the car in yet because they have to hold onto the car until the part actually comes in. They order the new cluster with your mileage pre-programmed on it, and to prevent discrepency they keep the car at the dealer so you won't be able to add more mileage to the car while the part is coming in. I'm bringing it in tomorrow (monday) and am told that it's approximately a week long job simply cause they have to wait for the part to come in... although they did say they'll try to rush it over.

cspak71
04-29-2012, 02:15 PM
I t shouldn't since that info is stored in the main computer. The numbers you see are just a display.

You'd think that... as I did, but I guess it's stored in the cluster since I have to have them hold the car til the part is installed.

wachuko
04-29-2012, 09:27 PM
hummm... I can't recall seeing this happening in mine... will be sure to take a better look during the next drive...

I can tell you that the boost gauge is working fine, buuuaaahahahahahahaha :D

wachuko
04-30-2012, 09:31 AM
I paid attention to the rev gauge this morning while driving to work, and everything is working fine on mine. Nothing wrong in either setting (Normal or Sport)... Hit a 100 miles... many more to come :)

ace51
04-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Hey Aaron,

They've diagnosed the problem but I haven't taken the car in yet because they have to hold onto the car until the part actually comes in. They order the new cluster with your mileage pre-programmed on it, and to prevent discrepency they keep the car at the dealer so you won't be able to add more mileage to the car while the part is coming in. I'm bringing it in tomorrow (monday) and am told that it's approximately a week long job simply cause they have to wait for the part to come in... although they did say they'll try to rush it over.

That is good to know! I was worried about a mileage discrepancy case on the Carfax. The local tech is out of town this week so I'll have to take it in next week. Hope it fixes the problem. I drove mine to the beach this weekend (200 miles one way) and as long as I did not put it in sport mode it seemed fine, but then as soon as I'd switch it I'd start seeing problems. It is a sporadic problem, but it does not do it as much if you put it in sport mode and let the RPM's settle when you first start the car. Another thing to note is even when the tach is working I haven't seen the shift up light come on. Have a whopping 600 miles on her now!

davidjon_99
04-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Took my Abarth into the dealer cause it did it again, and they've diagnosed it as a faulty instrument cluster (seems like they've seen this before). The quirks of testing out new parts it seems.

My car was supposed to ship yesterday, but shipment has now been pushed out two weeks. Two weeks seems to me like a long time. Hopefully this and the (EDIT to removed "boost guage" and add "shift light") shift light problems have not caused production delays. Anyone have any insight into whether these problems are affecting a number of cars or just the few we've seen here?

EDITED AGAIN: Insight now shows mine as "Plant Release (KZ)" so I'm hoping it ships sooner than the 12th. In any case, I doubt they would move mine to KZ if there was any kind of hold on production/shipping for any reason. So, just ignore the rambling of an impatient person who really, REALLY wants to drive his Abarth soon. :)

wachuko
04-30-2012, 11:50 AM
My car was supposed to ship yesterday, but shipment has now been pushed out two weeks. Two weeks seems to me like a long time. Hopefully this and the boost guage problems have not caused production delays. Anyone have any insight into whether these problems are affecting a number of cars or just the few we've seen here?

Boost gauge? What boos gauge issue?

I have only seen:

Missing Tom Tom - Some say it is because its shipped separately, others because of backordered, others because of software issues
RPMs in Sport mode - have not experienced this in my car
Shift light not working in Normal mode - My car has this...

davidjon_99
04-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Boost gauge? What boos gauge issue?

I have only seen:

Missing Tom Tom - Some say it is because its shipped separately, others because of backordered, others because of software issues
RPMs in Sport mode - have not experienced this in my car
Shift light not working in Normal mode - My car has this...

Oops, sorry, I meant shift light

cspak71
04-30-2012, 01:55 PM
That is good to know! I was worried about a mileage discrepancy case on the Carfax. The local tech is out of town this week so I'll have to take it in next week. Hope it fixes the problem. I drove mine to the beach this weekend (200 miles one way) and as long as I did not put it in sport mode it seemed fine, but then as soon as I'd switch it I'd start seeing problems. It is a sporadic problem, but it does not do it as much if you put it in sport mode and let the RPM's settle when you first start the car. Another thing to note is even when the tach is working I haven't seen the shift up light come on. Have a whopping 600 miles on her now!

Yeah, there is another thread about the shift light. I've done tests and have determine that in normal mode, it doesn't adjust and tell you to shift at optimal intervals... it acts just as it would in sport mode and just tells you to shift at redline. Whether or not there's a programming issue or not, it should still be functioning... just not in a "gas saving" shifting mode.

Let me know if you get your issue resolved.. I'll let you know if the new cluster fixes the issue.

ace51
05-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Hey Aaron,

Did you ever get to take yours in to see if replacing the cluster fixes the problem? I am a little reluctant to take mine in until there is a definite fix as I do not want to go Abarthless for a whole week!

cspak71
05-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Did you ever get to take yours in to see if replacing the cluster fixes the problem? I am a little reluctant to take mine in until there is a definite fix as I do not want to go Abarthless for a whole week!

Sadly it's taking longer than a week for them to get the part in. Not sure exactly what the issue was (personally I think they forgot to order the part until it was too late, but that's another issue). I should be picking it up today (crossing fingers)... I will let you know if this fixes the problem. It's been painful not having the car for so long.

cspak71
05-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Update:

Just got off the phone with dealership. The part isn't even in the system and they have no ETA on when the part will be shipped. I was told last week that it would be a week turnaround time, now no real estimate on when I can actually expect to have the car repaired. Supposedly they have another vehicle with the same issue... They will try to get on the phone again with someone who can try to expedite the instrument cluster. The dealer now has officially had my vehicle 1.5 weeks, which is longer than I have had the vehicle in my own hands. I'm afraid I'll be over this car before I even have a chance to enjoy it.

So those of you who have the similar problem, if it's not affecting the car adversely, hold off on turning the car in... it'll just sit there with no end in sight apparently.

bryanintowson
05-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Update:

Just got off the phone with dealership. The part isn't even in the system and they have no ETA on when the part will be shipped. I was told last week that it would be a week turnaround time, now no real estimate on when I can actually expect to have the car repaired. Supposedly they have another vehicle with the same issue... They will try to get on the phone again with someone who can try to expedite the instrument cluster. The dealer now has officially had my vehicle 1.5 weeks, which is longer than I have had the vehicle in my own hands. I'm afraid I'll be over this car before I even have a chance to enjoy it.

So those of you who have the similar problem, if it's not affecting the car adversely, hold off on turning the car in... it'll just sit there with no end in sight apparently.

Gauge clusters are a *major* issue for them. Trust me. I know.

cspak71
05-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Gauge clusters are a *major* issue for them. Trust me. I know.

Then I share in your frustration... bah!

bryanintowson
05-08-2012, 06:44 PM
Then I share in your frustration... bah!

Unfortunately the FIAT launch in the US was bungled badly in the extreme. I think that in the ensuing furor, the little niggling details like SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT got forgotten or they just relied on Chrysler to do business as before. Either way, big mistakes were made.

cspak71
05-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Update:

Tentative ETA on new instrument cluster: 5/21

Yes, you read that correctly...

VTEC Mini
05-10-2012, 01:31 AM
Sorry to hear that! Man that does suck...

bryanintowson
05-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Update:

Tentative ETA on new instrument cluster: 5/21

Yes, you read that correctly...

My car went in for service on 4 APRIL. They said "couple of days at most"

Then it was "APRIL 18"

Then it was "MAY 1"

Then it was "MAY 21"

They've promised to have it expedited but I'm not hopeful at this point because of all the slipped dates so far.

cspak71
05-10-2012, 12:49 PM

Then it was "APRIL 18"

Then it was "MAY 1"

Then it was "MAY 21"

They've promised to have it expedited but I'm not hopeful at this point because of all the slipped dates so far.

Yeah, I'm keeping my expectations realistic as well. So has your car been at the dealership this entire time?

bryanintowson
05-10-2012, 03:11 PM
It has been - I was told that the gauge cluster (since it containts the odo) has to have the correct mileage set at the factory. Because of that - I have not been driving my car.

cspak71
05-10-2012, 03:28 PM
It has been - I was told that the gauge cluster (since it containts the odo) has to have the correct mileage set at the factory. Because of that - I have not been driving my car.

Same here... I feel your pain.

noopd
05-10-2012, 04:12 PM
wow, that sucks big time. Can't you just have them set it 1000 miles more than what you have now, then you just drive it till it hits that mark and bring it in at that time?

cspak71
05-10-2012, 05:05 PM
wow, that sucks big time. Can't you just have them set it 1000 miles more than what you have now, then you just drive it till it hits that mark and bring it in at that time?

I think the headache of trying to match the mileage perfectly is what would be the issue, unless a slight discrepancy is considered acceptable.

bryanintowson
05-10-2012, 09:04 PM

The last thing I want is for years down the line to have my car's OBD scanned and an odometer fault to come up. Goodbye *ever* being able to sell the car. Before I take my car back I am going to ask my Studio for a letter or something certifying that the mileage is correct and maybe a printout of on OBD scan to prove that it was not tampered with.

The last thing I want is to get hosed years down the line because of a part made in farking Mexico and FIAT's weird odometer programming.

cspak71
05-11-2012, 11:47 AM
The last thing I want is for years down the line to have my car's OBD scanned and an odometer fault to come up. Goodbye *ever* being able to sell the car. Before I take my car back I am going to ask my Studio for a letter or something certifying that the mileage is correct and maybe a printout of on OBD scan to prove that it was not tampered with.

The last thing I want is to get hosed years down the line because of a part made in farking Mexico and FIAT's weird odometer programming.

Not a bad idea, although assumingly our VIN should be associated with the factory replacement of the instrument cluster.

bryanintowson
05-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Not a bad idea, although assumingly our VIN should be associated with the factory replacement of the instrument cluster.

I would assume that as well. Nice as they've been I don't trust anyone in this situation. I want to cover my rear with paper.

dogbolter
05-11-2012, 08:29 PM

Then it was "APRIL 18"

Then it was "MAY 1"

Then it was "MAY 21"

I hope they've provided you with a loaner while all this is going on. Also you may be able to lemon the car, (depending on your states lemon law).

bryanintowson
05-11-2012, 08:40 PM
I hope they've provided you with a loaner while all this is going on. Also you may be able to lemon the car, (depending on your states lemon law).

They are taking care of me so far. My state has pretty generous lemon laws so we'll see.

Scorpion
05-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Two things that Fiat can't seem to get right:

1. Instrument clusters
2. Rear badges

Really!? Time to switch suppliers Fiat. Seriously.

cspak71
05-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Well, thankfully I received a new instrument cluster last week, and (knock on wood) it seems to be resolved. Thanks to fiatcares on this site who helped me out. Been spending the last few days making up for lost time.

FiatCares
05-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Well, thankfully I received a new instrument cluster last week, and (knock on wood) it seems to be resolved. Thanks to fiatcares on this site who helped me out. Been spending the last few days making up for lost time.

cspak71: You are quite welcome.. wish I could of done more for you.. looks like this instrument cluster concerns is bigger than first thought.

PRoBLeMz
05-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Been doing it since day one. I don't have time to get it serviced. Might be able to take it in to the dealer in June hopefully.

TACH sticks at 3k RPM ;) Seems to be Temperature related. When its hot outside, I promise it will stick. If 70's it will operate normally. Logged over 2k miles so far.

PRoBLeMz
05-24-2012, 12:59 AM
Well something else I noticed today. Pull into destination. Turn the car off and decide to listen to the radio for a few minutes. Put the car back into power without starting and half the lights on the digital are dimmer then the rest. I can sense a driver display failure coming lol (VIC)Vehicle Information Center.

Oh yea, Seat and armrest are great at making noises if I have the seat all the way back and at a angle greater than straight back for the seat rest. Move the seat up on notch to sacrifice a little comfort and seat noises stop, lift arm rest up. All is quiet! Geeeesh, what other gremlins am I going to find next? lol

Felnus
05-24-2012, 06:21 AM
Turn the car off and decide to listen to the radio for a few minutes. Put the car back into power without starting and half the lights on the digital are dimmer then the rest.

Off topic, but you do know that you can just hit the power button on the radio to listen to it without turning the key or even having it in the ignition right?

05-24-2012, 11:01 AM
cspak71: You are quite welcome.. wish I could of done more for you.. looks like this instrument cluster concerns is bigger than first thought.

Does this mean there have been a few complaints on this matter at studios then, I hope something is done to address this as it seems to take a long time to rectify due to the red tape involved... Oh and do all studios give loaners for warranty work or is it franchise dependent. Cheers

FiatCares
05-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Does this mean there have been a few complaints on this matter at studios then, I hope something is done to address this as it seems to take a long time to rectify due to the red tape involved... Oh and do all studios give loaners for warranty work or is it franchise dependent. Cheers

fidgell: Rental is not part of the warranty and at the discretion of the studio to provide while in for warranty work; unless you have a service contract or extended warranty that included rental

05-24-2012, 01:41 PM
fidgell: Rental is not part of the warranty and at the discretion of the studio to provide while in for warranty work; unless you have a service contract or extended warranty that included rental

Oh ok thanks. What about the gauge issue? Is it a big deal now/TSB? Worried as if it happens it looks like it takes a long time to rectify!

FiatCares
05-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Oh ok thanks. What about the gauge issue? Is it a big deal now/TSB? Worried as if it happens it looks like it takes a long time to rectify!

This is the first time Ive heard of an issue with the RPM gauge within the instrument cluster, but I have heard that a lot of instrument clusters are being replaced for various other reasons.. maybe there isnt anything worng with the RPM gauge, but within the cluster itself.. has the studio checked it out yet??

05-24-2012, 02:27 PM
This is the first time Ive heard of an issue with the RPM gauge within the instrument cluster, but I have heard that a lot of instrument clusters are being replaced for various other reasons.. maybe there isnt anything worng with the RPM gauge, but within the cluster itself.. has the studio checked it out yet??

My car isnt here yet, couple of weeks away, I was just asking for info in case its an issue that needed seeing to before I pick the car up - bit like the hose issue and the reflash.

bryanintowson
05-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Been doing it since day one. I don't have time to get it serviced. Might be able to take it in to the dealer in June hopefully.

TACH sticks at 3k RPM ;) Seems to be Temperature related. When its hot outside, I promise it will stick. If 70's it will operate normally. Logged over 2k miles so far.

My gauge cluster failure was also temperature sensitive. If it was cold - everything worked. I had the studio tech park the car out in the sun for a few hours to replicate the failure. Others had their techs put their cars in the paint curing booth and heated up to do same.

PRoBLeMz
05-24-2012, 11:16 PM
nice, thanks for the tip!

FiatCares
05-25-2012, 10:28 AM
My car isnt here yet, couple of weeks away, I was just asking for info in case its an issue that needed seeing to before I pick the car up - bit like the hose issue and the reflash.

fidgell: Engineering is now aware of the two issues, but I cant say for sure that you will or wont have the vehicle built the cluster issue. Horrible, I know, but you'll just have to wait and see. Its not happening to everyones order.

zangonli
06-29-2012, 11:07 PM
My tach started "floating" higher and higher after the first week or so ownership until it was showing 3k at idle. The dealer reset and updated some software and it dropped back down to 1k at idle. But now a few days later, its starting to float up again and is currently about 500rpm too high. When I shut off the engine, the needle does not fall to zero but rather stops at 500rpm. The service manager was very nice about it and said that if the software reset/patch does not work, then they will need to replace the instrument cluster. What a strange malfunction!

Fiat500USA
06-30-2012, 12:29 AM
fidgell: Engineering is now aware of the two issues, but I cant say for sure that you will or wont have the vehicle built the cluster issue. Horrible, I know, but you'll just have to wait and see. Its not happening to everyones order.

A year after the intro and we're still hearing about cluster issues. WTH! To me, it sounds like they need to move onto another supplier. That is exactly what I'm going to say the next time I see our friends.

ace51
06-30-2012, 12:35 AM
I have yet to take my car in yet because I don't feel like being without it for more then a day or two, its out of my way, and I do NOT trust anyone else with any of my cars.

FiatCares
07-02-2012, 01:14 PM
My tach started "floating" higher and higher after the first week or so ownership until it was showing 3k at idle. The dealer reset and updated some software and it dropped back down to 1k at idle. But now a few days later, its starting to float up again and is currently about 500rpm too high. When I shut off the engine, the needle does not fall to zero but rather stops at 500rpm. The service manager was very nice about it and said that if the software reset/patch does not work, then they will need to replace the instrument cluster. What a strange malfunction!

Zangonli: Is that where we' re at no? replacing the cluster? Can I be of any help?

VTEC Mini
07-02-2012, 09:48 PM
A year after the intro and we're still hearing about cluster issues. WTH! To me, it sounds like they need to move onto another supplier. That is exactly what I'm going to say the next time I see our friends.Ask about quality control and clamps too ;).

zangonli
07-09-2012, 01:26 AM
Zangonli: Is that where we' re at no? replacing the cluster? Can I be of any help?

Thanks Jonathan. Let me take it in to the dealer tomorrow as the service manager did request that I bring it back if the problem re-appeared so he could order a new cluster for me. It is a weird problem though - the software reset apparently fixed it for a few days, and now after a week the "offset" is back to 2500 at idle. The cars is otherwise terrific!

FiatCares
07-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Thanks Jonathan. Let me take it in to the dealer tomorrow as the service manager did request that I bring it back if the problem re-appeared so he could order a new cluster for me. It is a weird problem though - the software reset apparently fixed it for a few days, and now after a week the "offset" is back to 2500 at idle. The cars is otherwise terrific!

Good to hear. Zangonli. Ill be out of the office the rest of this week, returning on the 17th of July.. I hope they resolve it for you. If there is anything I can do for you when I return let me know.

zangonli
07-16-2012, 07:33 PM
Good to hear. Zangonli. Ill be out of the office the rest of this week, returning on the 17th of July.. I hope they resolve it for you. If there is anything I can do for you when I return let me know.

Today is now one week since I dropped the car off at the dealership, and the service manager assured me then that he would place an order for the instrument cluster right away and that it would probably take no more than a week. However, as of today, the service person reported to me that the cluster is not here yet, and that there is no way to track its shipment, and that the manager estimates another one to two weeks before the part will likely arrive. Hope so, before the August shut down in Italy!

They are paying for my car rental. But maybe they will throw in some goodies as well!

bryanintowson
07-16-2012, 07:50 PM
if it gets too long, zangoli - PM Jonathan , he can help expedite the part and track it as he did with mine.

zangonli
07-17-2012, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the tip! I am going to keep a positive view on this and see what happens as there is alot of good in this car!

zangonli
08-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Regarding the instrument cluster issue, may I suggest the following procedure for anyone thinking of taking their car in for that service. When you arrive with your car at the dealership to diagnose the problem, ask them to NOT order any parts, until they check with you. Assuming they then tell you that a new cluster is needed, agree to do the repair but do NOT leave your car there. Rather, require the dealer to order a new cluster and then notify you when the new cluster is ready to be shipped from the factory to them. Once notified that the cluster is in fact ready to be programmed with the current odometer reading (and can then be expedite shipped), return to the dealer with your car where they can then read your odometer and then have them send the reading to the factory, to be programmed into your new cluster; in the meantime, they will have to hold onto your car, until the cluster arrives, but that should not take more than a week. You will be happier since you will get to drive your Abarth in the meantime, and will save Fiat a whole bunch of rental car fees :)

I wish I had done it that way... I dropped the car off on Jul 9 and as of today, the ETA for the part at the dealership is Aug 21. On the positive side, the rental car is a nice drive - a Ford Focus.

Farzad