PDA

View Full Version : No test drives. Dealer wants to sell his demo for $5000 over sticker!

Mike S
04-24-2012, 01:40 PM
So, He wants low miles on it. I couldn't even get in it to look at the leather interior. Nobody has the keys.

This is the same dealer I tried to trade in my Prima after two months for a 500C and the trade in value then (less than 2k miles) was less than current wholesale is now.

I think they don't want my business.

VTEC Mini
04-24-2012, 02:53 PM
I thought you where talking about my dealer LOL!

noopd
04-24-2012, 02:59 PM
go to another dealer

Leotxn
04-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Mike look on Ebay, there is an Abarth in Miami listed at 30,100 reserve price. Wonder if it is the same vehicle :)

wachuko
04-24-2012, 03:52 PM
So, He wants low miles on it. I couldn't even get in it to look at the leather interior. Nobody has the keys.

This is the same dealer I tried to trade in my Prima after two months for a 500C and the trade in value then (less than 2k miles) was less than current wholesale is now.

I don't think they do...

Call Tom at the Fields FIAT - 407.674.8830

Itgb
04-24-2012, 04:35 PM
My closest dealer said the wait list is 6 pages long(whatever that means) and no test drives without filling out a credit app. Will see if they change their tune in a couple months.

FiatGusto
04-24-2012, 05:48 PM
My advice: You all waiting to order stay tough!!!!! DO NOT let them push you around, d----it, YOU are the customer, THEY are the supplier.
Agreed, as soon as those too eager buyers allow this crap to happen, and get their cars, the dealers will start offering discounts.
They all are doing it on the 500's and will do so on the Abarth.
Wait them out!!!!!!!

sjmst
04-24-2012, 06:50 PM

Or anyone else's.
On the other hand, if someone is willing to buy the Abarth for over 27,000, then they deserve to be robbed.

CLXXV
04-24-2012, 07:32 PM
My closest dealer said the wait list is 6 pages long(whatever that means) and no test drives without filling out a credit app. Will see if they change their tune in a couple months.

Why are these losers still shoveling this kind of manure? Reminds me of when I went to a Honda dealer to see about the then-just-released S2000 and they wanted a $3500 deposit before I could schedule a test drive OR EVEN SIT IN ONE. I laughed in his face and said that I would never step foot in his dealership again.

Roadpizza
04-24-2012, 07:51 PM
I hate to see this type of stuff going on. If FIAT plans to make ago of it, they better straighten out the dealerships.....and soon.

bryanintowson
04-24-2012, 08:15 PM
My advice: You all waiting to order stay tough!!!!! DO NOT let them push you around, d----it, YOU are the customer, THEY are the supplier.
Agreed, as soon as those too eager buyers allow this crap to happen, and get their cars, the dealers will start offering discounts.
They all are doing it on the 500's and will do so on the Abarth.
Wait them out!!!!!!!

I waited out the initial rush on the 500's and got a great deal on mine. When I first went to look at them, they were selling them for sticker price no haggle. Not anymore!

a2cpc
04-24-2012, 08:31 PM
Went to one of the showrooms in Indianapolis today. Really hoping for a good experience, well that didn't happen. Foist of all I should say, I am a Subaru guy...but very open minded. I am looking for a fun car with good mileage to replace my WRX and I really wanted to like the car. The one they had in the showroom was pretty, black and very sold. At $2500 dealer added at that. I had been in this dealer before and they failed to impress...at least they were consistent. I am not a fan of the BRZ/FRS so I guess I will wait for info to leak out about the new WRX. If that doesn't come through, I might give the Abarth another go...meanwhile enjoy your cars!

zero
04-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Wow this is bad, the sales manager at the fiat dealership in El Paso said that he is going to text/call everyone as soon as there demo car gets in.

what huh
04-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Wow I amazed that dealers are doing this, If anybody lives in PA, ... heck even surrounding states, ... GO TO Jeff D'ambrosio in Downingtown PA phone #610-269-9500 they have been nothing but GREAT to me and my wife, I bought and 500 pop 6 months ago and put and order in for Abarth last week, Gray with white stripes and mirror caps

http://www.fiatusaofdowningtown.com/index.htm customer sat is there priority

RoosterX19
04-25-2012, 12:38 PM
It is sad indeed. It's sad that Fiat has to use Chrysler sales people. It's supply and demand, they can up the price because they have people wanting the car, but that doesn't mean they HAVE to. I put my dep down in November, and demanded the dealer sample. I was charged sticker and $700 dealer prep thats it.

If I were in you guys shoe's I'd shop elsewhere and send an email off to Fiat USA. That being said, their are only 2 dealers in New England, if anybody wants one up here, I highly recommend Fiat of Portland (Maine).

Good luck!

500ways
04-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Capitalism is market driven - supply and demand - period. It's all about the Benjamins.

I can see both sides of the equation. The consumer resents paying more. The Studio says it's still a rare and highly sought after car, so the guy with the biggest stack of cash gets it. I do not support any one argument over the other.

If you can wait (patience is a virtue), then your delayed gratification will come.

If you have the cash, have to have it now, your life situation dictates you have it now, or whatever the reason, go for it. You have only yourself to please and the only judge is you. Like the old Italian proverb goes, "meglio un giorno da leone che 100 giorni da pecora." aka Better to live one day as a lion rather than 100 days as a lamb.

Different strokes for different folks - neither position is right or wrong - it comes down to what's right for you.

One suggestion if you do buy the Abarth: drive it like you stole it and in good and safe health!!!!!!!!!!

SP1
04-25-2012, 01:38 PM
My experience in this comes from the positive side of the equation.

At the time of my down payment in January, I was told that I was the 7th paid depositor. On March 8, I was contacted by the salesman of the studio that an early depositor had relinquished his spot and they offered me the opportunity to order. I made it down there late that same afternoon, selected my options and the order was placed that night. Not a single word was mentioned about dealer or market adustment during the entire frame. I walked out with a VON in hand. 40 days later I happily drove the first customer delivered Abarth from Fiat of McKinney, TX home on April 17. This afternoon I will drive home from work starting at mile 298. Let see what happens after exceeding 4000 RPM.

On Friday, the owner of Fiat of McKinney called me personally to thank me for buying the car from his store. I was in the middle of doing my own make ready. I was honored and surprised that he called. BTW, I known him for many years and bought other vehicles from his stores.

For the stores that think the cars have not been delivered yet, send them this thread:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?5298-Chronicles-of-the-initial-detail-after-Abarth-delivery

a2cpc
04-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Capitalism is market driven - supply and demand - period. It's all about the Benjamins.

I can see both sides of the equation. The consumer resents paying more. The Studio says it's still a rare and highly sought after car, so the guy with the biggest stack of cash gets it. I do not support any one argument over the other.

If you can wait (patience is a virtue), then your delayed gratification will come.

If you have the cash, have to have it now, your life situation dictates you have it now, or whatever the reason, go for it. You have only yourself to please and the only judge is you. Like the old Italian proverb goes, "meglio un giorno da leone che 100 giorni da pecora." aka Better to live one day as a lion rather than 100 days as a lamb.

Different strokes for different folks - neither position is right or wrong - it comes down to what's right for you.

One suggestion if you do buy the Abarth: drive it like you stole it and in good and safe health!!!!!!!!!!

Everything you said is correct. But the people at the particular dealer I visited went just this side of rude when I told them that I could wait until the excitement wore off and their prices came back to at least MSRP. That is a whole different thing and cost them a possible future sale. There is another dealer in town.

500ways
04-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Everything you said is correct. But the people at the particular dealer I visited went just this side of rude when I told them that I could wait until the excitement wore off and their prices came back to at least MSRP. That is a whole different thing and cost them a possible future sale. There is another dealer in town.

That's a whole other issue. However, I agree that they should conduct themselves in a professional and mature manner.

Mike S
04-25-2012, 02:13 PM

I have no problem with him trying to sell the car at MSRP + 5K but, he did order it as a demo so I think he is abusing his position as a dealer when people really want to see and try the car before ordering. It is my choice not to buy from him. It is the same dealer that delivered my Prima. He does not sell many Fiats.

I have talked to Tom in Orlando and Tim in Sarasota. Both were nice and showed at least some flexibility in dealer Doc fees. I also have friends and family left in the Chicago area. Over a year ago when we were waiting for our Primas, Paul Layton at Fields Fiat in the Chicago area helped all of us by getting on the computer and telling us the status of our cars. That kindness was not forgotten. I sent my brother to him for a Fiat and I could just order one from him. I would save enough on the dealer fee to pay for the flight, gas, lodging for one night and lots of pizza.

Thad
04-25-2012, 02:29 PM
$700 dealer prep? That just smells like markup to me too!

a2cpc
04-25-2012, 05:17 PM
$700 dealer prep? That just smells like markup to me too!

Well yea...but it is better than $2500 because we can.:greedy_dollars:

RoosterX19
04-28-2012, 08:57 AM
I have no problem with the $700 dealer prep/destination charge. I was treated fairly and with respect. Hell, I went in the dealership in November and DEMANDED they take my deposit! But seriously, They treated me really well and I have no complaints.

Paris11
05-28-2012, 06:53 PM
when the sales numbers continue to be FAR from projected....abarthe will be selling a MSRT of 26-28K.....just wait six months

sjmst
05-28-2012, 07:42 PM
go to another dealer

This. That dealer doesn't deserve anyone's business. You know when a dealer can sell over sticker? When they all are. As long as there are dealers willing to sell at MSRP, anyone who pays over MSRP has no one but themself to blame.

Abarth Five O
05-28-2012, 07:46 PM
when the sales numbers continue to be FAR from projected....abarthe will be selling a MSRT of 26-28K.....just wait six months

How can that be? Fiat stopped taking orders for the 2012 model so they're already sold out for 2012. They'll start taking orders for the 2013 model in August or September. That's a good business strategy to pent up demand for a limited production vehicle. If you can get a 2013 Abarth at MSRP, that would be a great deal. Good luck

Paris11
05-28-2012, 11:19 PM
My dealer is offering two unsold-untestdriveable abarthes for 37-38K$ each......I am NOT kidding...I laughed my ass off and walked out. Waiting it out-had SO much props for Fiat as purchase of my black sport was SO easy and great last AUG.....then to be insulted when I am already a loyal Fiat owner wanting to upgrade-with such absurd markup and NO test drive? LMFAO no one should pay 10 grand markup for two months of "oooh thats the fiat abarthe! "

Pronto
05-29-2012, 12:36 AM
This. That dealer doesn't deserve anyone's business. You know when a dealer can sell over sticker? When they all are. As long as there are dealers willing to sell at MSRP, anyone who pays over MSRP has no one but themself to blame.

Unless you live in Hawaii where there is only one dealer and it would cost you more to fly to California and ship one back to Hawaii! This is the one time it sucks to live Hawaii!

VTEC Mini
05-29-2012, 02:39 AM
How can that be? Fiat stopped taking orders for the 2012 model so they're already sold out for 2012. They'll start taking orders for the 2013 model in August or September. That's a good business strategy to pent up demand for a limited production vehicle. If you can get a 2013 Abarth at MSRP, that would be a great deal. Good luck

There is already Abarths sitting on lots at MSRP in L.A. Production has not really stopped as they finish the 2012 model but they have stopped taking orders. My dealer, although he has one sitting on the lot with a 5K mark up, is expecting seven to eight more by the time orders open back up for 2013- to sit on the lot- his words. Is it good business that a majority of Abarths with mark ups are sitting on the lots? I think the goal is to sell cars if I am not mistaken. Also is it good business to sell a car and expect a sale when you wont allow a test drive on top of a $10K mark up? That's just plain stupid on the dealers part. A cars worth is only as good as what the public will pay. That goes for the Abarth, classic cars or any car it doesn't matter what or how rare it is. With many new cars coming out in the Abarth price range and same if not better performance level this could backfire big time.

cmj912
05-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Interesting to read all of these threads about price. I'm wondering why this behavior is surprising to people. When the 500 was first introduced people were freaking out that fully optioned Pops were at $20k fully kitted out. Now there are thousands of them; we can calm down and make a deal.

I dunno. FIAT does not control the dealer. Studios can charge whatever they want and I'm sure there's people who want it badly enough to pay it. Oh well. You either want to do some serious homework to find one *now* because you want one *now* or you wait 'til there are more of them when they will very likely not be as sticker-shocking.

Danncas
06-16-2012, 07:48 AM
Like the man said GO ,Drive Fly to Downinton, Pa. I hear nothing but greatness from othe PA guy not on here. If I trade up I will go there even though Im 25 miles from another FIAT dealer