PDA

View Full Version : Abarth purchasing question

psax889906
04-20-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm planning on buying a new or lightly used (2010+) vehicle come June. The Abarth has caught my eye over and over and regardless of how impractical it may appear I can't stop coming back to it. Without discussing the merits of the Abarth as an everyday driver I first want to know: Will I be able to snag one of these from a studio in June? Where will production be at by that time? I will not be able to custom order, as I plan on purchasing within a two week window in June.

Leotxn
04-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Right now they are by order only with deposit through your studio. Not sure when they will offer the dealer demo's for resale.

Scorpion
04-20-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm pretty sure that Studios can order at least one Abarth for inventory per allocation period (each month?). And, maybe more depending on their volume?

I know that my Studio, ordered the Black 'LA Auto Show Launch' version and it hadn't been sold the last time I checked. They offered it to me first, but I didn't want Nero. Plus, they ordered a second unsold Abarth the next month, a Rosso one. So, depending on the area of the country (supply/demand), etc. There is a possibility that someone will be able to snap up one on the lot. But, they may be few and far between.

pchop
04-20-2012, 04:20 PM
The Abarth has caught my eye over and over and regardless of how impractical it may appear I can't stop coming back to it. Without discussing the merits of the Abarth as an everyday driver

Having an Abarth is like having a bi-polar lingerie model as a girlfriend: no one can discuss the merits or recommend "her" practicality. She's either right for you or she's not.

Will I be able to snag one of these from a studio in June? Where will production be at by that time? I will not be able to custom order, as I plan on purchasing within a two week window in June.

I don't know about your area, but around the East and West Coast, it is highly unlikely you'll be able to "snag" one. It's hard to put a production time as most of us that have had deposits with the studio are just getting our cars and the people that are on the second allotment are still waiting for the VIN or haven't received a built date yet. If you are only plan on purchasing within a two week window, shy of paying over MSRP it's just not realistic IMHO.

Mike S
04-20-2012, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE=pchop;554401]Having an Abarth is like having a bi-polar lingerie model as a girlfriend: no one can discuss the merits or recommend its practicality. She's either right for you or she's not.

I guess you know Janet too.

Start talking to dealers about buying one of their demos over MSRP. Perhaps you can find someone trying to scalp with their ordered Abarth. A short term car rental might be cheaper while you wait for one you order.

CLXXV
04-20-2012, 06:15 PM
[QUOTE=pchop;554401]Having an Abarth is like having a bi-polar lingerie model as a girlfriend: no one can discuss the merits or recommend its practicality. She's either right for you or she's not.

I guess you know Janet too.

Start talking to dealers about buying one of their demos over MSRP. Perhaps you can find someone trying to scalp with their ordered Abarth. A short term car rental might be cheaper while you wait for one you order.

What he said^

Especially the part about a short-term rental, rather than paying a mark-up over MSRP. My dealer told me that FIAT plans to increase production, so it seems foolish to pay extra. Being able to just "snag one" in the first couple months of sales seems unlikely.

Abarth01
04-20-2012, 08:48 PM
You just never know. You may be able to snag one if someone happens to cancel or decide to not take delivery of their Abarth for any kind of reason. I believe that actually has already happened to a new owner who just happened to be in the right place at the right time and snagged an Abarth that someone decided not to take delivery on.

wachuko
04-20-2012, 08:55 PM
You just never know. You may be able to snag one if someone happens to cancel or decide to not take delivery of their Abarth for any kind of reason. I believe that actually has already happened to a new owner who just happened to be in the right place at the right time and snagged an Abarth that someone decided not to take delivery on.

+1 Also happened to someone here in Orlando. Someone backed out and he got his spot. He is scheduled to get his in May.

Check with your Studio, you never know.

psax889906
04-22-2012, 03:05 AM
I appreciate the responses and insight. I'll definitely be checking in periodically over the next month with the local studios to see what's available. I need a car now... but I could survive a couple extra months possibly- depending on how a test drive went. The overwhelmingly positive reviews and remarks from countless third parties is making this vehicle more and more difficult to take off my short list.

EliRider
04-22-2012, 10:04 AM
For anybody interested, I may know of another available allotment. Contact Scott at the Boise Studio.

red sport
04-22-2012, 12:42 PM
That's pretty much the same at my Fiat studio, Ramsey Fiat in Ramsey NJ. They have 12 deposits for Abarths last time I checked (about a month ago) they won't have a demo on their lot for a while and wont allow anyone to test drive someone else's preordered Abarth