PDA

View Full Version : Badge Won't Stick

Fiat Boy
04-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Hey,

I purchased a Cinquecento badge from 500 Madness, here:

http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=39_75&product_id=52

I intended to affix it to the glove compartment door, but it won't stick to the door's granular surface. Any one have a suggestion of how I can install that badge on the door?

Thanks,

Fiat Boy

wildeyed
04-19-2012, 05:02 PM
Use thick double-sided 3m tape. It will adjust to the rough surface just fine. De-grease the dash first.

Good luck!

Fiat Boy
04-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Wildeyed,

I hear ya, but I don't look forward to tracing the 9" Cinquecento script over the tape and then cutting it out to fit the badge. If I have to, then so be it. Oh, the dash isn't greasy. It's still untouched as it came from the factory. It sure is grainy though. Fiat should make smooth doors just for us folks that want to affix badges. :orange:

Fiat Boy

Edit: Also, wondering whether the thick tape would make the effect look amateurish.

cmj912
04-19-2012, 07:04 PM
What about attaching it under where it says '500' instead? That's a smooth area. It was also, incidentally, a poll that was conducted when the 500 was being introduced (whether to badge the American cars with the number 500 AND the word Cinquecento).
Double-incidentally, the Fiat Cinquencento badges look an awful lot like the ones that are affixed to *this* car - the Fiat Cinquecento...
If you look closely you can see it applied above the right taillamp.

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_Xp1fqRZ0S94QhaQ3qc9Y-X2zWrwz5NKWA7N0-JMe8V9E4fmx0Q

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSG4BXGEI7btsJkFZQ__zTboSJQMMTOb ctTiH2uCA5mTBTL08PfLQ

Fiat Boy
04-19-2012, 07:56 PM
cmj912,

Yeah, I considered affixing it to the dash just above the 500 logo, but I thought it looked too conspicuous there, made the dash look cluttered and a little tacky. The badge is 9" long, after all. Sticking it below on the glove box door seems more tasteful and more in conformance with standard practice. I've seen plenty cars with their logos affixed to the glove box door in the past. The badge would look better for interior use if it were smaller, like maybe about half its present size. It's about the right size for exterior use, like on the back, as pictured, above. It looks good there. Thanks for posting. I appreciate your thoughts.

Fiat Boy

wildeyed
04-20-2012, 08:44 AM
I was looking at that badge too. My thought was to place it low on rear quater panel - sort of where the 500 logo sits on the Lounge body side mouldings. I wasn't sure about the fit, though, as you point out: that badge is pretty big.

Fiat Boy
04-20-2012, 09:29 AM
wildeyed,

You bet, the badge is big, and looks like it's intended for external use. Look at the picture cmj912 posted above. Note the Cinquecento badge on the rear of the blue Fiat there. I think that's the location where it looks the best. On my 500, I held up my badge in that location, on the rear hatch door just to the right of the licence plate. It really looked appropriate in that location. I may just attach the badge there, but I'm still thinking about it. Try viewing it in that location on your car. You may like it there, too.

Fiat Boy

Edit: I'm also looking at the following post where that poster had a badge made:

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?3865-Custom-Prima-Badge&highlight=badge+glove

I may contact the site he referenced, where he had his badge made, to see whether they can make a Cinquecento badge about half the size so I can mount it on the glove box. Smaller is better in this case. I may still mount the big badge on the back of the Fiat, and mount the smaller one on the glove box door. We'll see.

cmj912
04-20-2012, 10:24 AM
You can see the size and placement of the badge on the namesake a bit better here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/82887550@N00/2059909949/

Fiat Boy
04-20-2012, 10:31 AM
cmj912,

Hey, the more I see of that badge on the rear, the more I like it. Thanks for that.

Fiat Boy

unknown_eyes
04-21-2012, 09:14 AM
Try heating the sticky back on the badge with a blow dryer and then installing it.

Fiat Boy
04-21-2012, 10:55 AM
unknown_eues.

Good idea. I may do that even if I install the badge on the rear, as indicated above. The sticky tape on the back may have become degraded from trying to attach it to the glove box door, and now needs some rejuvenation. If I've ruined the sticky tape, I can always buy another badge. It only costs money.

Fiat Boy

Fiat Boy
05-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Hi Again,

I finally decided on where to install my "Cinquecento" badge. I bought another badge just to make sure, since I may have degraded the sticky back from messing with it trying to install it on the glove box door.

I concluded that it looks best mounted on the rear of the car, as Fiat intended orignally. Here is a picture of how it looks:

The above badge is 9" long. As indicated in my above post, I originally wanted to install the badge on the glove box door, but it's too big for that use. So, I've ordered a smaller "Cinquecento" badge (4-1/2") to be custom made by a web based company that specializes in making badges, here:

http://www.thirdshiftstudios.com/custom-car-lettering.html

I haven't received the smaller badge yet, but it should cost about $70, I'm told by the site. It should do what I want very well.

Thanks for looking, and stay tuned.

Fiat Boy

Fiat Boy
09-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Hi All,

Today, I finally received my custom made "Cinquecento" badge to affix to my glove box door on my Fiat Sport. Here is a picture:

While I was on a custom made badge kick, I decided to have the same vendor (above post) make me custon "Fiat" badges to affix to the two "B" colums. Here is a picture of that job:

I think those efforts turned out well. What do you guys think?

Fiat Boy

Racerflash
09-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Really cool! Good job.

Dwaynek
09-29-2012, 07:24 PM
looks great!