PDA

View Full Version : Question for all optioning for the 17" wheels with 3 season tires

BellaFiat
04-19-2012, 09:35 AM
I read that they shouldn't be used in temps under 40 degrees or so? I live in Dallas, and while it doesn't get that cold that often, we do sometimes reach freezing temps.

Are you guys buying other tires to use during the colder months or using a different car? Sounds like an odd question, but I'm currently in a Jeep. I love it, and was planning on keeping as a back-up car for space or bad weather. However, if there's a workaround with these upgraded tires, I might look at adding it as a trade in.

Thoughts?

04-19-2012, 10:03 AM
I live in Barrie, Ontario....SNOW BELT!!! Im getting a second set of rims (wanted steels but nobody does them so its cheapish alloys from tirerack for me), and Pirelli winter tires to use from end of November - April each year. Ive used various winter tires in the past and the Pirellis have always performed the best for me - and without costing a fortune!!! Plus it keeps the 17s nice and corrosion free for the summer....

shil
04-19-2012, 10:53 AM
I got steel rims from a Pop for my Sport at the local Chrysler dealer, with Michelins, for real close to what Tire Rack was asking.

If I lived in Dallas I'd run summer tires all year round and not worry about it. You won't go sliding off the road if it's below freezing one morning. You will go sliding off the road if you try to get to work and there's two inches of slush on the streets, but I imagine Dallas shuts down if that ever happens...

04-19-2012, 11:50 AM
The problem is the wheels (steel or alloy) off the regular 500 wont fit an Abarth due to brake size...so far, nobody makes a steel wheel for the Abarth!

Starik
04-19-2012, 03:27 PM
I'm in Atlanta, so I am in a similar situation. In my experience, you can use summer tires for cold weather, just remember they're not at their most effective when it's cold. Some summer tires are usable with light snow. Remember, businesses are very cautions in warning against any possible problem, due to the American National Sport: litigation.

Bret Dodson
04-19-2012, 05:04 PM
The rubber compound on summer tires gets harder as the temp drops. I use summer tires as street tires on my Miata (currently Falken Azenis) and find that it gets a bit skatey and prone to locking brakes the closer the temps gets to freezing. I wouldn't worry about it in Dallas, just be aware of the need for longer braking distances when it gets that cold.

Being in Seattle, I have multiple sets of wheels for my daily driver (a Saab 9000 Aero soon to be relieved of daily use by an Abarth). Winter tires are a good thing in cold weather as well a snow. The Miata hibernates for a few months each year, unless it's really sunny out and I need a vitamin D fix.