PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranty (anybody purchasing or considering?)

EliRider
04-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Called 1-800-442-2666 to question the various extended warranty offerings.
This is what I found...

5 Year/ 70K miles: $1,390
6 Year/ 85K miles: $2,095
7 Year/100K miles: $2,595
Lifetime: $2,995

This includes a $100 deductible.

In talking with a few of my Fiat friends, that this cost is highly negotiable with the Studio.

Anybody share their experience if this is worth the cost and if indeed they received a discount? I'm on the Fence. A question that I dod not ask, if I upgraded with some of the future Venom parts if that voided the extended warranty.

Abarth01
04-18-2012, 07:02 PM
I personally do not purchase any of the extended warranties when I first purchase a vehicle as they already have one. Its not needed. However, you can always purchase down the road if you decide you want it when you get close to your warranty expiration. The extended warranties IMHO are where the dealers make their biggest bucks off purchasers.

wachuko
04-18-2012, 07:03 PM
I personally do not purchase any of the extended warranties when I first purchase a vehicle as they already have one. Its not needed. However, you can always purchase down the road if you decide you want it when you get close to your warranty expiration. The extended warranties IMHO are where the dealers make their biggest bucks off purchasers.

Yes... what he ^ said.

Mike S
04-18-2012, 07:20 PM
After the fact (car purchase) extended will cost more the longer you wait. You may also need an inspection and all service should have been performed at the correct intervals.

Cars with Fiat dealer performance upgrades blessed by Fiat might have a better chance of being covered for damage. Mopar and perhaps Marelli.

shonokin
04-18-2012, 07:25 PM
I figure anything that is going to break from being defecting and isn't natural wear and tear is going to do it before the Factory Warranty is up. Knowing my luck, now that I've said that everything will break the day after it expires.

pchop
04-18-2012, 07:48 PM
also if you read the fine print in these "extended" contracts, there are exclusions, limitations and what many would categorize as "typical wear and tear" opt-out clauses.

Scorpion
04-18-2012, 08:43 PM
Yes... what he ^ said.

+1

04-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Sure ill have the highest mileage Abarth around as ill be doing 40,000km a year in it (25,000m)....Im wondering if, small print permitting, Im best getting the extended warranty as I plan to keep the car for about 6 years and will burn the warranty in about 2 years!!! Thoughts???

EliRider
04-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Sure ill have the highest mileage Abarth around as ill be doing 40,000km a year in it (25,000m)....Im wondering if, small print permitting, Im best getting the extended warranty as I plan to keep the car for about 6 years and will burn the warranty in about 2 years!!! Thoughts???

My Studio was adding another $400 to the numbers I quoted above and did mention that he could move some. So I'm not sure if the costs I received from Chrysler is also the Studio cost. Seems high to me. Like others that posted here, I rarely purchase the extended warranty as if you are going to have issues it should surface in the first two years. My Studio was not pushy at all but did mention that the Fiat line in the US is new. I wonder how the reliability factor is in Europe. Perhaps that would give you some insight.

For now, unless the extended warranty is considerably less money - I'm leaning to not purchase it. However you raise a good question on high mileage use.

Additional consideration... on one of my Harley Davidson motorcycles the extended warranty only covered items that was installed on day of purchase. That includes all performance options. But changes made after purchase would not be covered. So I suspect that if you consider the future Venom upgrades this may void your warranty and extended warranty. It would be nice to get some clarification from FIAT on this.

For a 3K insurance policy, At this point I'm willing to bet on Fiat quality and the base warranty coverage at this time - and eat the cost should anything major happen or move to the next performance car.

I hope this helps as I appreciate everybody's opinion as there are more "no" than "yes". I hope Fiat is listening and recognize they are bringing a new car into the USA and stand behind their product. I suspect they will or bulletin boards like this one will be flooded.

Pillager1900
04-19-2012, 10:58 AM
I use Geico and they now offer a mechanical insurance http://www.geico.com/getaquote/auto/mechanical-breakdown-insurance/. I am not exactly sure how it works, but it could not hurt to check it out.

Also if you do get an extended warranty, try and get one from the manufacturer if possible. I had an aftermarket extended warranty and it was a huge pain to deal with. All kinds of nickel and dime charges, delays in paying the repair shop (had to wait 5 days after it was repaired to get my car once). Usually the manufacturer warranties are more expensive but I think they would be worth the extra cost. That is just my two cents.

shonokin
04-19-2012, 04:34 PM
I wonder how the reliability factor is in Europe. Perhaps that would give you some insight.

That's an extremely good question. I wonder if there's some data on that floating around?
It may not be a 1=1 comparison since the US 500s are fairly different than their Euro cousins and are manufactured in North America rather than Poland, but like you, I'd really like to know how say, the 2007 models are holding up.

04-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Quoted (here in Canada) 3400 CAD plus tax for the 7 year 160,000km, NO lifetime here!!! That will only last me 4 years on my mileage so not worth it, ill take my chances as surely at that price only a catastrophic disaster will make my money and that should happen quick if it does!

SP1
04-21-2012, 05:40 PM
These are pretty close to the rates I was offered from the finance dept. this week. I opted not to buy extended at this time. We were told we could purchase anytime before 12 month/12K mile mark if desired.

In addition, oil, other fluid changes, and other consumable item cost are not covered from day 1 on the Abarth as compared to my wife's 500 Sport. We were informed of that change by the Studio GM during the contract signing process. Looks like synthetic oil changes from the first one.

Leotxn
04-21-2012, 07:06 PM
I most likely will not be getting an extended warranty. I purchased one on my Mitsu for $1200 when I bought it new and never used it, hence I feel I wasted $1200. I know I keep my cars maintained and follow service recommendations so I will just put money in a savings for later in my Abarth's life if it needs a part replaced.

Pronto
04-21-2012, 09:08 PM
I got severly burned with my Jaguar S type as soon as the warranty ran out. First went the throttle body, $1,500.00. Then the A/C went out; a whopping $3,500.00! Climate control head unit; $1,400.00. I dont know about the climates where everyone lives on this thread, but in Hawaii, our A/C runs all year long. I am buying the maximum extended warranty when my Lounge arrives next month!

kayandjohn
03-14-2013, 11:00 AM
also if you read the fine print in these "extended" contracts, there are exclusions, limitations and what many would categorize as "typical wear and tear" opt-out clauses.
For example, the MOPAR one that a Chrysler dealer would sell for an Abarth repeatedly says "No coverage for manual clutch," as well as no coverage for exhaust system (wonder if this includes turbo??), etc.

Pronto
03-14-2013, 11:17 AM
For example, the MOPAR one that a Chrysler dealer would sell for an Abarth repeatedly says "No coverage for manual clutch," as well as no coverage for exhaust system (wonder if this includes turbo??), etc.
You should always read the fine print but I am going to turn around what you said; I bought the extended warranty for the 100's of items it DOES cover, because at one time or another with my other cars, the things that are covered have craped out on me and would have paid for the policy with one repair! The insurance is worth it for me knowing how long I own cars. Cheers!

kayandjohn
03-14-2013, 01:46 PM
You should always read the fine print but I am going to turn around what you said; I bought the extended warranty for the 100's of items it DOES cover, because at one time or another with my other cars, the things that are covered have craped out on me and would have paid for the policy with one repair! The insurance is worth it for me knowing how long I own cars. Cheers!

I like your positive attitude, Pronto! I actually think it covers a lot, too... just some major things it doesn't.

As a way of figuring out how important what it covered was, I applied the lifetime warranty to my two 13-year-old cars, comparing total repair and maintenance cost without (blue curve below) and with (red) the extended warranty, and putting in $3,100 cost of warranty up front. Saved $3,836 on one car and $6,143 on the other.

Click on picture... also more details posted elsewhere on the forum.

wilbmeister
03-14-2013, 02:14 PM
I purchased the lifetime warranty. I read about everything it covers including a daily rental if the car is in the shop. I live 80 miles from the Studio and if I drop the car off in the morning I have a car to use. The warranty covers a lot of item and since I put a lot of miles on a car this will be good for me. My normal warranty will run out long before 4 years based on mileage. I purchased the lifetime wrranty for $2300 which I believe is a good deal.

Pronto
03-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Nice job! You really did your homework kayandjohn!

Robert Nixon
03-14-2013, 03:27 PM
Good timing on this thread, I just got an email from Fiat offering $150 off on an extended warranties. I'm just not an extended warranty guy, so no thanks for me.

If you buy it and use it, sure, it pays for itself. If you buy it and never use it, you don't get your money's worth. If you like it because of peace of mind, then it's worth what you think it is, that's all.

Also saw my dealer post on Facebook today that if I bring someone else in for a test drive I can get half off an oil change. Good timing again, since I just went there for the 1st service (oil and tire rotation) on Saturday, and they charged 80 bucks. I think I will change it myself, rotate tires myself, and still do it for less than half off, thanks very much.

Pinecone
03-17-2013, 03:52 PM
The clutch is a wear item. If it fell apart, it would be covered by the warranty. If it wears out, no, just like brakes are not covered for wear.