PDA

View Full Version : Clear bra and window tint installation

BellaFiat
04-15-2012, 06:29 PM
So, I'm wanting to get both done as soon as my Abarth hits the ground. I'd like to get the clear protection on the usual front/hood/mirror areas along with the rear bumper.

I'm wondering would it be wise to have the dealer install or find an aftermarket place wound me (DFW). I want this job done 100% correct and hate it when I see the bubbling on people's window tint. I just heard that the dealer could price gouge for that.

What do you guys think or have you considered this?

nojeebs
04-15-2012, 07:11 PM
I trust most places that offer life time guarantee on workmanship and product. Regarding how good they are at making sure you don't have to go back to use the free replacements is a matter of installers around your area. Honestly most cars I see with bubbling tint are due to a non professional installing the tint.

fltrplntman
04-15-2012, 07:23 PM
So, I'm wanting to get both done as soon as my Abarth hits the ground. I'd like to get the clear protection on the usual front/hood/mirror areas along with the rear bumper.

I'm wondering would it be wise to have the dealer install or find an aftermarket place wound me (DFW). I want this job done 100% correct and hate it when I see the bubbling on people's window tint. I just heard that the dealer could price gouge for that.

What do you guys think or have you considered this?
Most bodyshops or detailers can handle the tint and clear bra. But if you can convince the dealer to throw it in for free.. even better.
I wanted to get a set for my Pop, but Its hard to find and it was about $300 for just the kit.
Keep us posted. I want to install it on mine.

unknown_eyes
04-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Any reputable tint shop should be able to handle the install on both, just make sure they have a warranty on their work. My tint cost me $150. I really wanted the clear paint protectant, but was quoted $800 and just cant make myself pay that.

pchop
04-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Dealers usually "outsource" these jobs to a local installer, so it's probably not the best bang for your buck. Regardless of who does the installation here are a few things to consider:

Clear Bra/Paint Protection Film
- is the film a pre-cut kit or custom job? There's nothing wrong with a pre-cut kit, but I prefer the latter as I want a seamless install - but a custom job is also expensive ($800 is fair).
- make sure the installer knows how to "stretch" the film to make a perfect fit. if the film is not stretched properly, you will risk peeling a few month down the road.
- make sure the installer clean every dirt and sand off the surface before install. I've seen "chop" jobs where the installer "clear bra"ed over sand...

Windows Tint:
- while $150 will give you a good tint, I'm a huge fan of 3M's Crystalline film. Since my Abarth has a sunroof and UV is plastic's and leather's worst enemy, I'm getting my windows, sunroof and wind shield tinted with the Crystalline film. Regardless of the darkness, the 3M Crystalline film has AMAZING heat and UV blocking properties. With that said, 3M Crystalline is very expensive. It's going to be about $400.
- if you decide to go with 3M Crystalline, you can find a list of installers on their website. Again, I would high recommend you ask them for a list of references as 3M Crystalline is a difficult window tint to work with.
- once you have 3M Crystalline film installed, don't be alarmed if you see micro-bubbles for a week or two, b/c Crystalline takes a while to dry.

wachuko
05-02-2012, 01:41 PM
For those of you thinking about the 3M solution... here is what I am finding in terms of pricing, locally.

I got a quote today from the local shop (Precision Window Tinting in Longwood)

Here is the breakdown:

Front windshield with clear 3M Crystalline CR-90
Sunroof with the darkest 3M Crystalline that they have - CR 40
Side and rear windows with darkest legal 3M Crystalline that they have - CR 40
Total: US$469.00

If I go with non-Crystalline on the side and rear windows it is - US$389.00

The person on the phone mentioned that the 3M Crystalline color is different from the regular films... very difficult to describe over the phone and will have to show me when I get there...

Stopping by next Tuesday to get it done. Stay cool guys and gals :cool:!

EliRider
05-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Just got a VentureShield quote

Clear Bra of Oregon
1095 NEth 49th Ave
Hillsboro, Oregon

Standard Kit $499
Full Kit $898

Considering... (and Oregon - no tax)

Air Dim
08-05-2012, 03:22 AM
Hi, my name is Dimitris and I own a twin air Fiat 500. Because of the large periods of sunshine that we have I 'd like to have my sunroof tinted so as to get rid of the heat the UV causes.
Wachuko, did you install these 3M Crystalline film on your sun roof? Is it good and how it looks like when you are inside the car and the day is shinny? Do you find it very dark?
Also do you know if there is a 3M crystalline film with a light color but to protect from the UV?

deathshead
08-05-2012, 10:16 AM
$450-$800!!!!!!!!!!?
http://i49.tinypic.com/21j6bv4.jpg