PDA

View Full Version : Different in MPG with Spare Tire?

shonokin
04-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Just wondering if anyone has noticed what the difference in MPG is after getting the spare tire kit installed.

PFVA63
04-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Hi,

Unfortunately since my car came with a spare, I can't give you a comparison, but I can get in the mid 30's in the city, and have gotten anywhere from the high 40's to the low 50's on the highways with the added weight of the spare, on my manual Pop.

Pat

talindsay
04-10-2012, 10:35 PM
I can't imagine you'd detect the difference - it's like having a load of groceries in the hatch, or a five-year-old in the back seat at most. Given its position it should have negligible impact on drag, and it doesn't weigh much in terms of the weight of the car - less than 5%, for sure. Increase your exercise by five miles a week and you'll regain any lost efficiency within about three months, I think.

shonokin
04-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Haha, I like the way you think Talindsay.

panther76
04-11-2012, 04:53 PM
i can tell you i had a pop 5 speed with no spare last summer and just picked up a sport 5 speed with a spare. thus far i am getting virtually identical mileage figures on similar routes.

SeaDawg
04-11-2012, 11:12 PM
i can tell you i had a pop 5 speed with no spare last summer and just picked up a sport 5 speed with a spare. thus far i am getting virtually identical mileage figures on similar routes.

Wait just a darned minute, aren't you Mr. Veloster? The Sport doesn't have any more leg room than the Pop!

panther76
04-12-2012, 12:00 AM
Wait just a darned minute, aren't you Mr. Veloster? The Sport doesn't have any more leg room than the Pop!

my veloster was totalled. i traded in my older malibu for the fiat. i liked the veloster quite a bit. however, my driving enjoyment came primarily when i pushed it hard, where as in the 500, i enjoyed driving it slow, fast....it didnt matter....knee comfort issues not withstanding. i worked out a solution to that thanks to a UK 500 owner.

anyway, back to the subject at hand.

SeaDawg
04-12-2012, 12:33 AM
my veloster was totalled. i traded in my older malibu for the fiat. i liked the veloster quite a bit. however, my driving enjoyment came primarily when i pushed it hard, where as in the 500, i enjoyed driving it slow, fast....it didnt matter....knee comfort issues not withstanding. i worked out a solution to that thanks to a UK 500 owner.

anyway, back to the subject at hand.'

Welcome back!:encouragement: Sorry to hear about any vehicle getting totalled. Glad you apparently weren't hurt.

panther76
04-12-2012, 07:35 AM
'

Welcome back!:encouragement: Sorry to hear about any vehicle getting totalled. Glad you apparently weren't hurt.

thanks. no injuries to either party. T-boned on passenger side by someone running a red light.

im VERY HAPPY to be back in the 500.

buzzny
04-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Yea! Welcome back Panther76!