PDA

View Full Version : Front License Plate bracket installation (No Drilling)

fltrplntman
04-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Items needed.. 1 license plate bracket, and 2 - 3inch x 3/16 inch toggle bolts.

Push the bolts through the top bolt holes and put the toggles on the threads.

Find the center of the bracket and find the center of the bottom grille.

When the marks are lined up, push the toggle bolts through the top row of the grille.

tighten each bolt until the bracket is almost flush with the grille. Slowly tighten the bolts the rest of the way until the bracket is snug to the grille. If you tighten too much the bracket will crack. That's it!
Install costs about $1. (with free dealer supplied license plate bracket.)
Ladies.. You can do this yourself if you want an empowering feeling. No power tools needed, I just used it to demonstrate. All you need is the appropriate screw driver and tape.

fltrplntman
04-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Should look like this when complete!!

unknown_eyes
04-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Great write up! thanks for the info and it looks good to.

MADNESSMIKE
04-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Great write up very easy to follow and I love the pictures.

fltrplntman
04-05-2012, 10:39 PM
You all are more than welcome!

Great write up very easy to follow and I love the pictures.

Saxonite
06-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Looks good but wont the plate rattle a little bit and scratch off the paint where it touches the bottom lip?

ChicagoAbarth
06-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Looks good but wont the plate rattle a little bit and scratch off the paint where it touches the bottom lip?

I zip tied my plate to the grill two months ago while waiting for Craven's Abarth platypus mount and it hasn't moved or caused any scratches. It just came out this week for the Abarth and I'll be ordering it soon along with some of their other goodies.

fltrplntman
06-25-2012, 09:36 PM

Nope... Its pretty tight. It doesn't wiggle a bit. In the amount of time I mounted it, and took it back off, there wasn't a mark.

ahh-bert
08-09-2012, 01:33 AM
LOVE this. Is the blue tape just to mark the center? OR is it serving another purpose? I have been really nervous about going license-plate-less. This looks like a great compromise.

EugeneS
08-09-2012, 01:37 AM
LOVE this. Is the blue tape just to mark the center? OR is it serving another purpose? I have been really nervous about going license-plate-less. This looks like a great compromise.

This is a great alternative for non-Abarth models, but I think it's not a good idea to block the airflow on Abarth, this car needs all the air it can get

Pronto
08-09-2012, 02:22 AM
This is a great alternative for non-Abarth models, but I think it's not a good idea to block the airflow on Abarth, this car needs all the air it can get

Now you see it.......

Now you don't......

I like the simplicity of the grill mount option but I still like the motorized plate mount better. I hide the plate at Rally's and car shows and when cleaning the car and also dont have to worry about air flow issues when I want to "play hard"! (I have no intention of lowering my car)

Fltrplntman; your option would for sure be my 2nd choice for it's ease of installation, low-cost and the way it does not obscure the great look of the bumper! Thanks for the informative post and instructions.

EugeneS
08-09-2012, 02:37 AM
I like the simplicity of the grill mount option but I still like the motorized plate mount better. I hide the plate at Rally's and car shows and when cleaning the car and also dont have to worry about air flow issues when I want to "play hard"! (I have no intention of lowering my car)

Nice! And I like your license plate! :)

I've been considering this one, but with some parking entrances and steep hills in SF, not sure if I wont end up ripping the plate off... i've been considering a lot of options, but I think I'll use the OEM mount, I wish it would be skinnier and may be same color as the rest of the car... SF is desperate for money so they now allow meter maids to ticket cars without front plates, seen it in my neighborhood :(

Pronto
08-09-2012, 02:43 AM
Nice! And I like your license plate! :)

I've been considering this one, but with some parking entrances and steep hills in SF, not sure if I wont end up ripping the plate off... i've been considering a lot of options, but I think I'll use the OEM mount, I wish it would be skinnier and may be same color as the rest of the car... SF is desperate for money so they now allow meter maids to ticket cars without front plates, seen it in my neighborhood :(
Faced with those circumstances, I would not risk this mount either. Bummer!

FICA
08-18-2012, 09:05 AM
I zip tied my plate to the grill two months ago while waiting for Craven's Abarth platypus mount and it hasn't moved or caused any scratches. It just came out this week for the Abarth and I'll be ordering it soon along with some of their other goodies.

I have been looking at options to mount the front plate. I liked the concept of the retractable mount however I was concerned when I read that minor drilling is required. The review for the Craven Playtpus mount led me to believe that the mount does not require any drilling but fits into pre-existing holes underneath the bumper even for the Abarth. Is this correct?

ChicagoAbarth
08-18-2012, 09:29 AM
That is correct. It attaches using two existing T30 torx screws underneath. There is NO drilling required at all.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/--dXttd_U-Ks/UC-fU9EnjsI/AAAAAAAAAL0/kh8GugsL88k/s640/Platypus.jpg

Pronto
08-18-2012, 11:56 AM
I have been looking at options to mount the front plate. I liked the concept of the retractable mount however I was concerned when I read that minor drilling is required. The review for the Craven Playtpus mount led me to believe that the mount does not require any drilling but fits into pre-existing holes underneath the bumper even for the Abarth. Is this correct?

Yes it attaches to existing bolts but you have to be OK with the plate being off center on front of the grill. This would drive me crazy! Others like it.....

MADNESSMIKE
08-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Yes it attaches to existing bolts but you have to be OK with the plate being off center on front of the grill. This would drive me crazy! Others like it.....

Its a look I am personally a fan of the off center look of the plate plus no drilling required is great.

FICA
08-20-2012, 04:21 PM
That is correct. It attaches using two existing T30 torx screws underneath. There is NO drilling required at all.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/--dXttd_U-Ks/UC-fU9EnjsI/AAAAAAAAAL0/kh8GugsL88k/s640/Platypus.jpg

Its a look I am personally a fan of the off center look of the plate plus no drilling required is great.

Thanks for the input everyone. Ordering it today.

Mtidaddy
08-20-2012, 10:46 PM
I love the idea of the playtpus mount where can I find one and how much do they run? The military has decided that my family is needed in Texas where they have front plates.

Pinecone
08-21-2012, 04:47 AM
The other option is to just not run a front plate.

Maryland requires a front plate, and in 10 years on two vehicles (both over the entire time) we have collected one ticket (no points, just fine) and one warning.

MADNESSMIKE
08-21-2012, 04:18 PM
I love the idea of the playtpus mount where can I find one and how much do they run? The military has decided that my family is needed in Texas where they have front plates.

Here you go! Remember the mount is different depending on what vehcile you have. If you have any questions on the ordering process give us a call 562 981-6800

Pop, Lounge, and Sport
http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=Platypus&product_id=461

ABARTH
http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=Platypus&product_id=1185

ChicagoAbarth
08-21-2012, 06:15 PM
The other option is to just not run a front plate.

Maryland requires a front plate, and in 10 years on two vehicles (both over the entire time) we have collected one ticket (no points, just fine) and one warning.

You're a lot luckier than I am. I got three warnings, one written and two verbal, in the first month. I broke down and put the plate on.

Dennis M
04-01-2013, 03:25 PM
what happens if the toggle bolts fall off from behind grill--did not see an open space where they would fall to the ground.
does the plate block air flow as to cause an over heating problem?

Dennis M
04-04-2013, 10:10 PM
if i decide to remove the mount, will the toggle bolts just fall out of the bottom onto the ground? Also--is adequate air flow maintained with the plate in front of the grill?

Pesto
04-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Hi All, just joined after buying a sport for my wife (and me - sshhhh) 2 weeks ago. Toggle bolt is great idea bcuz honestly can't see spending $60 for a metal bracket at Madness. Lot of great stuff there, but $60 for a $20 part? Madnessss!???