PDA

View Full Version : Planning to Install Body Side Moldings

Fiat Boy
04-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Hi,

I recently bought a Fiat 500 Sport with Brilliant Red Tri-Coat paint. This is my 3rd Fiat, having previously owned a 1975 128 4-door and a 1978 Fiat Brava 131. I really liked those cars!

In any case, yesterday I purchased some body side moldings for the 500, after having looked at all the other options, like the various graphics available. I decided I liked the good old fashioned moldings the best. Call me old fashioned, but don't call me Fritz.

I bought the moldings from an eBay vendor, here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIAT-2012-500-Door-Side-Moldings-Paintable-NEW-OEM-/160763455672?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item256e3fa8b8

I also got some emblems that affix to the moldings, these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIAT-2012-500-Side-Molding-Emblems-Red-White-500-NEW-/150771780098?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231ab2ca02

I had to also get some paint, since the moldings are unpainted. I got the paint here:

http://www.paintscratch.com/

Paint Scratch shows the color code KRA for my Brilliant Red Tri-Coat, but the label on the Fiat show the code to be PRA. I have no idea why the difference in codes. I left a note with the order explaining the code on the label. Hopefully the match will be good.

I could only buy 2-ounce bottles of the paint. The sited said they couldn't ship larger amounts. That's OK with me, as I doubt I'll need more paint than that. :beguiled:

I'll post pictures when I finish installing the moldings. I think I can do a good job with this.

Fiat Boy

Fiat500USA
04-08-2012, 12:46 AM
Hi,

I recently bought a Fiat 500 Sport with Brilliant Red Tri-Coat paint. This is my 3rd Fiat, having previously owned a 1975 128 4-door and a 1978 Fiat Brava 131. I really liked those cars!

In any case, yesterday I purchased some body side moldings for the 500, after having looked at all the other options, like the various graphics available. I decided I liked the good old fashioned moldings the best. Call me old fashioned, but don't call me Fritz.

I bought the moldings from an eBay vendor, here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIAT-2012-500-Door-Side-Moldings-Paintable-NEW-OEM-/160763455672?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item256e3fa8b8

I also got some emblems that affix to the moldings, these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIAT-2012-500-Side-Molding-Emblems-Red-White-500-NEW-/150771780098?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231ab2ca02

I had to also get some paint, since the moldings are unpainted. I got the paint here:

http://www.paintscratch.com/

Paint Scratch shows the color code KRA for my Brilliant Red Tri-Coat, but the label on the Fiat show the code to be PRA. I have no idea why the difference in codes. I left a note with the order explaining the code on the label. Hopefully the match will be good.

I could only buy 2-ounce bottles of the paint. The sited said they couldn't ship larger amounts. That's OK with me, as I doubt I'll need more paint than that. :beguiled:

I'll post pictures when I finish installing the moldings. I think I can do a good job with this.

Fiat Boy

Hi Fiat Boy,

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a cool project, keep us up to date with it.

msjulie33
04-08-2012, 11:14 AM
I added them to my Pop (well the dealer did) - I too thought they would add a little character to the car (silly fiat, can't get a lounge 5speed in the usa!)

Looking forward to your pictures

wachuko
04-08-2012, 11:43 AM
... (silly fiat, can't get a lounge 5speed in the usa!)...

+1.

Fiat Boy
04-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Everyone,

Well, I finished painting and installing the body side moldings. I'm posting the following pictures showing the steps I followed in the process. First, the supplies I used:

The next picture shows the unpainted modlings:

The next picture shows my Fiat before installing the molding:

The next picture shows the moldings painted:

The next picture is a close up showing the so called "orange peel" effect produced by the handy dandy Preval sprayer. Maybe you can't see the "orange peel" but it's there:

The next picture shows the molding installed on my Fiat: I couldn't upload the finished image, owing to a limit of 5 pictures per posting. I'll make another posting to show it.

I'm satisfied with the molding mod I did. I think it's about 90 to 95 per cent professional. Only a perfectionist would nit pick.

Fiat Boy

Fiat Boy
04-10-2012, 01:00 PM
OK, here's the image showing the molding installed on my Fiat Sport:

The paint match is great. Fiat calls this color Brilliant Red Tri-Coat, but I think it's closer to a maroon. I think it's not quite a red and not quite a maroon either. The painting involved using a base coat, a middle coat and finally a finish coat, which is a clear coat. The two 2-ounce bottles were barely enough to do the job, but I managed. Three ounces of each would have been better. Job done!

Fiat Boy

Haring
04-10-2012, 01:58 PM
I've been wanting those for my Rame. Was even tempted to leave them the matte black instead of matching the orange paint (painted the trim on my GTI matte black and loved it). I'll keep an eye out for you around town because I'd love to see how it looks. I'm not willing to pay the $500 from the dealership.

unknown_eyes
04-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Thats the 1st sport I think I've seen with the moldings and it looks good!

msjulie33
04-10-2012, 09:45 PM
OK, here's the image showing the molding installed on my Fiat Sport:

The paint match is great. Fiat calls this color Brilliant Red Tri-Coat, but I think it's closer to a maroon. I think it's not quite a red and not quite a maroon either. The painting involved using a base coat, a middle coat and finally a finish coat, which is a clear coat. The two 2-ounce bottles were barely enough to do the job, but I managed. Three ounces of each would have been better. Job done!

Fiat Boy

Nice :)

Fiat Boy
04-11-2012, 07:50 AM
If I had to do this mod again, I'd place a double order for the paint. In that event, I'd have four bottles of 2 ounces each, for a total of eight ounces (4 ounces of the base coat, and 4 ounces of the middle coat). I think anyone doing this mode should have enough paint to provide adequate coverage. I think my coverage is a little light. You can see in my above pictures that I only had two bottles of 2 ounces eash. Not enough.

Fiat Boy

garygx
04-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Can I ask how the molding attaches to the car? 3M tape? Is it secure?

Fiat Boy
04-15-2012, 03:36 PM
The molding comes with tape already attached to the backside. They are OEM moldings, and a dealer would install them in the same way you would (peal and stick). You press them into place following the enclosed instructions. Yes they are secure. This method of installing is common practice.

Fiat Boy

garygx
04-16-2012, 02:42 AM
We will buy them and paint them as you did.
Thanks for the information!

Fiat Boy
04-16-2012, 08:19 AM
Here is a YouTube video for additional information:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VDksviUVhM

You can find other videos on the Internet showing "how to" install side molding. Note that the OEM Fiat molding installs closer to the bottom. The included instructions show where to install the molding. Also, the picture I posted, above, shows the correct location for the Fiat molding.

Fiat Boy

garygx
04-17-2012, 08:19 AM
WOW,
That makes it seem so easy. Is there one for painting it as well?

Thanks!

Fiat Boy
04-17-2012, 10:09 AM
I haven't seen a YouTube video on how to paint body side moldings. Painting side moldings can be tricky for a do-it-your-selfer, because most have no professional equipment. Thus, you have to use a "rattle can" or one of those Preval sprayers, like I did. You can achieve satisfactory results with this method, but likely the finish won't look totally "factory" or "body shop" perfect. I have no tips on doing this job. It involves mostly art and confidence. If you think you can, then go for it. If not, take the moldings to a body shop for painting. Either way, this job is expensive.

Fiat Boy

garygx
04-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Thank you for that.

Do you have tips on installing the "Prima Edizione" graphic on the sides of my 500?

sjmst
04-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Looks great, nice job.

Fiat Boy
04-17-2012, 04:20 PM
garygx,

The following post contains some good tips for installing graphics to the side of a Fiat 500. The graphcs aren't Prima Edizione, but the technique for installing those should be similar to that depicted in the post:

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?4781-DIY-Fiat-500-Graphics-Install&highlight=install+graphics

Fiat Boy

garygx
04-18-2012, 03:38 PM
Did you use Pro bond adhesive promoter when applying the Moldings? I saw it recommended on a youtube video for applying moldings.

Fiat Boy
04-18-2012, 04:35 PM
garygx,

No, I didn't use Pro Bond adhesive promoter. I didn't use it because I didn't think it necessary. The adhesive on the OEM moldings adhere very well in my situation, anyway. I understand that using Pro Bond adhesive promoter is useful in the following situations:

Where chemical nature of substrate resists adhesion (no problem here)

To develop immediate quick-stick, an aid in many applications (no problem here either)

To help pressure-sensitive adhesive systems cling to irregular or curved surfaces (no irregular or curved surfaces)

So, I didn't use it, but I suppose there's no harm in using it either.

Fiat Boy