PDA

View Full Version : Abarth Specifications Question

FireDave
03-30-2012, 09:38 AM
I was looking at the Abarth specification sheet and have a question about the engine-construction. It says its cast-iron block with aluminum-alloy head and aluminum-alloy bedplate. Can someone please tell me what the bedplate is. Thanks.

luke_vibert_uk
03-30-2012, 12:52 PM
I think it is the lowest part of the engine assembly on which the bearing journals for the crank are located.

I guess from the description...

Aluminium Alloy Head
------------------------- (Head Gasket)
Cast Iron Block
------------------------- (Another Gasket)
Aluminium Alloy Bedplate

Its not a term I'm familiar with and may be something lost in translation (not unusual when you read the English UK Abarth manual!).

speeddemon
03-30-2012, 08:24 PM
(Engineering / General Engineering) a heavy metal platform or frame to which an engine or machine is attached

VTEC Mini
03-31-2012, 01:32 PM
(Engineering / General Engineering) a heavy metal platform or frame to which an engine or machine is attached

I would imagine the sub- frame then....

SeaDawg
03-31-2012, 02:35 PM
I would imagine the sub- frame then....Something I think may make this quite a bit clearer. Go to the 'Home' page with the picture of the multiair head. Click on the phrase 'inside the yada yada engine'. When that displays you should see a semi exploded engine. Part No. 1 is the block and part No. 2 is the 'bedplate'. I'm not an engineer or a practicing mechanic, but I'd bet a cold soda on that being the part you're discussing.

VTEC Mini
03-31-2012, 02:48 PM
Something I think may make this quite a bit clearer. Go to the 'Home' page with the picture of the multiair head. Click on the phrase 'inside the yada yada engine'. When that displays you should see a semi exploded engine. Part No. 1 is the block and part No. 2 is the 'bedplate'. I'm not an engineer or a practicing mechanic, but I'd bet a cold soda on that being the part you're discussing.Looks like a oil pan/ main bearing cap combo meal.

Fiat500USA
03-31-2012, 05:31 PM
Check this out:
Inside the Fiat 500 Engine (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2011/08/inside-2012-fiat-500-engine.html)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-RRYgWOCPCbM/Tj_4IyL5d_I/AAAAAAAAH_Y/SFTZSX4zSzo/s800/Fiat500USA-Fiat_MultiAir_Block.jpg

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
03-31-2012, 10:17 PM
Looks like a oil pan with reinforcements to me.

Fiat500USA
03-31-2012, 11:37 PM
It is a major structural element and incorporates the main caps. The oil pan bolts to the bottom of the bed plate. It is all explained in the link.

VTEC Mini
04-01-2012, 11:24 AM
It is a major structural element and incorporates the main caps. The oil pan bolts to the bottom of the bed plate. It is all explained in the link.

I got it right then (I didn't read the article)! I am kind of curious though...... With different expansion rates between Aluminum and cast iron how that works with the main bearing clearance and crankshaft alignment. With the head you have the head gasket to allow for small differences and with pistons you have ring gap to take up the differences. This looks like it bolts straight to the block. I am sure the bearings are your standard steal and babbitt. With all the stress's with the crankshaft it just makes me wonder.

luke_vibert_uk
04-01-2012, 12:23 PM
I cant imagine there isn't a gasket of some sort between them (traditional or some sort of 'wet' application) as you'd get bi-metalic corrosion amongst other fitting/sealing issues.

VTEC Mini
04-01-2012, 06:58 PM
I cant imagine there isn't a gasket of some sort between them (traditional or some sort of 'wet' application) as you'd get bi-metalic corrosion amongst other fitting/sealing issues.Galvanic corrosion is an issue too but I don't think so much since it is bathed in oil... Like the steel/ iron studs holding the cylinder head to the engine block.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
04-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Sorry to change subject, but it is a specs ? What is the wheel lug torque specs? I assume all the 500s are the same #.

Fiat500USA
04-05-2012, 12:04 AM
I got it right then (I didn't read the article)! I am kind of curious though...... With different expansion rates between Aluminum and cast iron how that works with the main bearing clearance and crankshaft alignment. With the head you have the head gasket to allow for small differences and with pistons you have ring gap to take up the differences. This looks like it bolts straight to the block. I am sure the bearings are your standard steal and babbitt. With all the stress's with the crankshaft it just makes me wonder.

Good question. The bed plate is secured with 20 bolts, so that isn't in issue. Also, there is a special sealant used between it and the block.

Fiat500USA
04-05-2012, 12:33 AM
Sorry to change subject, but it is a specs ? What is the wheel lug torque specs? I assume all the 500s are the same #.

Yes, all the 500s have the same torque:

Wheel Mounting (Lug ) Bolt - Aluminum Wheels
100 Nm / 75 ft. lbs.

Wheel Mounting (Lug ) Bolt - Steel Wheels
85 Nm / 63 ft.lbs.

VTEC Mini
04-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Good question. The bed plate is secured with 20 bolts, so that isn't in issue. Also, there is a special sealant used between it and the block.Thanks Chris, I know that this issue was dealt with and remedied I just didn't know how and I was just curious.