PDA

View Full Version : High flow filter/Cold air intake filter element MERV ratings - which is the finest?

tensleep
03-28-2012, 09:37 AM
I would like to improve air flow and performance on my 500, but I do not want to introduce more dirt into the motor. I have K&N filters on my '97 Dodge Dakota and my '96 Volvo 850 Turbo. While I really like the ability to clean and reuse these filters, as well as the improved air flow, I do notice that the filters pass more particulate matter into the engine. These are both high mileage vehicles, so I am not as concerned. Plus, I change the oil and filters on both of these vehicles every 3k.

On my new 500, I don't want to introduce more dirt into this tight tolerance engine, especially since the oil and filter change intervals approach 18k. Does anybody know which filter/intake system provides improved flow without sacrificing filtration over the stock system?

Roadpizza
03-28-2012, 10:47 AM
I'm glad you started this. I plan on doing something in regards to air intake. Trying to find out if a performance filter is as good as the CAI or not.

Evelyn Salt
06-08-2012, 06:52 PM
I'm glad you started this. I plan on doing something in regards to air intake. Trying to find out if a performance filter is as good as the CAI or not.

No answers, evidently.

Pinecone
06-09-2012, 07:11 AM
I don't know about the Fiat filters, but in the BMW world, after a lot of actual testing, the found that the stock paper filter is pretty darn good. Just change it a bit more.

With the current emphasis on gas mileage, intake and exhaust systems are not as restrictive as the old days. A lot of effort into reducing pumping losses for better efficiency.