PDA

View Full Version : Rear bumper

Thad
03-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Is it just me?
Looking at the rear of this car and considering a bump from behind, I can't help but to think that the whole rear hatch would get twisted and bent. Even parallel parking like I do in the city causes bumpers to get pretty banged into. It looks like the lower section of the hatch would get hit every time you 'bounce' park as people do in the city.

Sealy
03-29-2012, 10:07 AM
Looking at the pictures and video, it would appear that what appears to be the back bumper is just tacked on black trim on the hatch door. The actual bumper is the painted skirt below the opening. That said, something should be there to protect it. But there probably won't be until aftermarket develops it. Also, reference your parking skills (and those of your city), you need to get back up sensors and set an example. :encouragement:

Randy Robert Mosele
03-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Actually that rear end is pretty solid all around. I got rear-ended by an older model Buick a while back and the whole front of her car was pretty smashed up. My bumper got slightly dented and one of the fascia plates popped out but you can't really notice any of that unless you look closely. I was able to put the plate back in. The 500 came out of that much better than the Buick.

Thad
03-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Randy, I don't believe you have a 500L. Take a look at the way the back bumper is arranged. The rear hatch IS part of the rear bumper!
BTW, I'm not so worried about my parking skills. It's everyone else I worry about!

Here is a pic:http://wot.motortrend.com/files/2012/03/2013-Fiat-500L-rear-three-quarters.jpg

Sealy
03-29-2012, 06:31 PM
. . . The rear hatch IS part of the rear bumper!

Al contrario, mio ​​caro. The black is just trim meant to look macho. The back 'em ups are just above the impact part of the bumper, which extends beyond the hatch. No need to get nervous. The Italians know what they are doing - they bought Chrysler, didn't they? :ambivalence:

F500
03-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Is it just me?
Looking at the rear of this car and considering a bump from behind, I can't help but to think that the whole rear hatch would get twisted and bent. Even parallel parking like I do in the city causes bumpers to get pretty banged into. It looks like the lower section of the hatch would get hit every time you 'bounce' park as people do in the city.

the rear end is VERY solid. we had a 500 Pop customer that was rear-ended at a stoplight. he was hit by a FULL-size Chevy 1500 P/U (04-06?). while the FIAT did receive some damage, it was able to be driven away (to get it ready for the flatbed) while the Chevy had the radiator shoved back onto the engine and could not even be started.

while I can't say what the speed of the truck was at time of impact, I can say after seeing the pics that the truck suffered much more damage than the little 500.

I feel very comfortable with any rear end collision in the FIAT. I just hope it never happens. :)

F500
03-30-2012, 01:11 PM
....Also, reference your parking skills (and those of your city), you need to get back up sensors and set an example. :encouragement:

Back Up Sensors? those are for 'sissys'! :p

Sealy
03-30-2012, 01:19 PM
. . . those are for 'sissys'! :p

Well, it just so happens . . . :encouragement:

Thad
03-30-2012, 02:47 PM
the rear end is VERY solid. we had a 500 Pop customer that was rear-ended at a stoplight. he was hit by a FULL-size Chevy 1500 P/U (04-06?). while the FIAT did receive some damage, it was able to be driven away (to get it ready for the flatbed) while the Chevy had the radiator shoved back onto the engine and could not even be started.

while I can't say what the speed of the truck was at time of impact, I can say after seeing the pics that the truck suffered much more damage than the little 500.

I feel very comfortable with any rear end collision in the FIAT. I just hope it never happens. :)

F500, we're talking about the 500L in this thread. VERY different than a 500.

Thad
03-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Al contrario, mio ​​caro. The black is just trim meant to look macho. The back 'em ups are just above the impact part of the bumper, which extends beyond the hatch. No need to get nervous. The Italians know what they are doing - they bought Chrysler, didn't they? :ambivalence:

Sealy, did you look at the pic of the 500L? There is nothing that extends. The plastic part on the hatch looks to be the part that would hit.
Let me see if I can directly post a picture that shows what I'm referring to: 1622

Sealy
03-30-2012, 03:16 PM
1623We're looking at the same thing - - - but with different eyes. :concern:

Randy Robert Mosele
03-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Thad,
I didn't realize this was in the 500L forum. It just popped up on top of the recent posts list on the main page and I assumed you were talking about a 500. Very different, indeed.

Prima 109
03-31-2012, 11:27 AM
Is it just me?

Hi Thad.
With all do respect, I don't see any mention of you indicating that you are referring to the 500L versus the 500. That might be where the confusion is. I sometimes omit words when I type and that may have happened here. Anyway ciao.:glee:

Prima 109
03-31-2012, 11:32 AM
After seeing the pic of the rear of the 500L, I agree, it does look like it would be damaged very easily in a rear collission. Sorry Thad, my apologies.

Thad
04-02-2012, 11:10 AM
This is the 500L section....

Mike S
04-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Just mount some retro big chrome overriders.

cmj912
04-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Also remember that this may be the European version. I can't see the front of the car, but I don't see rear or front side markers. If that's a pic from Geneva, this is the Euro version and most of the time the front and rear clips differ visibly once the car is Federalized for sale in the US. Side markers and larger bumpers are usually dead giveaways.

I notice also that the 500L follows the European 500's tradition of having the turn signal in the top of the headlamp whereas ours are in the lower part with the daytime driving lamps.

sjmst
04-03-2012, 12:23 PM
I KNOW this is about the 500L, but by coincidence my 500 was rear ended by a Honda minivan last night. A tap, but still enough to cause damage. Or so I thought. Barely a scratch. If anything it should buff out. Nice. Well made car.