PDA

View Full Version : Markup over MSRP

Reaperman
03-26-2012, 10:05 PM
I'm quite down tonight, so I figured I'd start up this thread for sharing mine and similar stories.

So, here goes. Pumped up from watching Leno slide around, I headed for the FIAT dealer with the spouse (a sure sign that I had the checkbook with me). About an hour in we finally start the initial ordering process despite having many of our questions unanswered before hand (including a direct question about final price). But we completed the selection of our options on paper and then finally comes the premium talk.

$3000 over MSRP.
"but you came in knowing it would be over MSRP, what price were you expecting to pay?"
I was out the door within 10-12 seconds.
Probably came off a bit rude, and I'm sure that they won't be calling.

In my head, the whole point of "the price is the price" is to remove stress and hostility(!) from my buying process by removing the haggling. It took me some time to accept this. However removing haggling, to me, includes both directions of MSRP. I don't believe that there is any possible way to negotiate a price I would find acceptable from a starting point of $26k+. I would never be able to face that car every morning.

I guess I need to calm down, and shoot the next nearest dealer (Shreveport) an email tomorrow. Probably with a link to this thread, asking what their current premium is, and if they would please notify me when they're not doing one anymore. I'm pretty sure I have to buy in-state, or LA will tax me on top of some other state's taxes.

So what are your stories? I've heard $500 and $300 tossed around--in much wealthier areas than here.

FiatGusto
03-26-2012, 10:29 PM
I truly hate to read that this is happening.
Honest to goodness, aren't ALL FIAT dealers to hold to MSRP???????
Where did I miss the post that said, sorry, you must have been dreaming.
Don't let them do this to you!!!!!
Only by everyone refusing to pay these add ons will cause it to stop.
Buy this car with your head, not your heart.
FIAT wants to SELL CARS by the brand, and no dealer should let Sergio down by being so short sighted and ruining that experience.
RUN any find another honest, moral dealer. They are out there.

SeaDawg
03-26-2012, 10:43 PM
I truly hate to read that this is happening.
Honest to goodness, aren't ALL FIAT dealers to hold to MSRP???????
Where did I miss the post that said, sorry, you must have been dreaming.
Buy this car with your head, not your heart.
FIAT wants to SELL CARS by the brand, and no dealer should let Sergio down by being so short sighted and ruining that experience.
RUN any find another honest, moral dealer. They are out there.

You are correct, the only way this practice will stop is if everyone refuses to play, the problem is, there is always someone who WILL play. To reiterate, once a dealer takes delivery there is nothing illegal about them raising the price above the MSRP. Unfortunate, but true.

SeaDawg
03-26-2012, 10:53 PM
I guess I need to calm down, and shoot the next nearest dealer (Shreveport) an email tomorrow. Probably with a link to this thread, asking what their current premium is, and if they would please notify me when they're not doing one anymore. I'm pretty sure I have to buy in-state, or LA will tax me on top of some other state's taxes.

So what are your stories? I've heard $500 and $300 tossed around--in much wealthier areas than here.

Greed triumphs over good business practices on any day of the week for some businesses. All states that I am aware of will NOT add additional SALES TAX if you can show on your purchase documents that you paid the sales tax in the state you actually purchased the vehicle. Those lower figures above sound like what are known in Florida as 'Dealer Fees' which are claimed to cover administrative costs as well as being cash cows too.

I heartily endorse you inquiring at other dealerships. I do NOT recommend saying anything about a PREMIUM. You know what the price of the Abarth is and the cost of the options. As long as they give you an itemized breakdown of the price (which you should specifically ask for), they are quoting you, you will be able to tell if they are trying to add a multi thousand premium or just a $389 to $500 or so Dealer Fee.

krayzielilsmoki
03-26-2012, 11:02 PM
If i remember correctly, my "dealer fee" was $700 or so.
$3000 seems absolutely ridiculous!
All together thats almost a fully loaded abarth!

SeaDawg
03-26-2012, 11:10 PM
If i remember correctly, my "dealer fee" was $700 or so.
$3000 seems absolutely ridiculous!
All together thats almost a fully loaded abarth!

There is a distinction. The $2,000 to $3,000 premiums are usually displayed on what are called 'bump stickers' or 'marketing adjustments' next to the MSRP sticker, whereas the dealer fee is usually only shown on the purchase document and is usually less than $1,000 dollars, in most cases much less.

Have Trumpet Will Travel
03-26-2012, 11:12 PM
Likewise, count me in as one of those that hate this. It is bad enough when they try to sell you paint protection or whatever minutes before completing your purchase. Here in Virginia, not only did I get two $500 incentives, they gave me another $350 off - my 2012 "Pop" cost less than $15,000. Due to the popularity of the new ABARTH, I guess the Studios (some, at least) think they can gouge the prospective customer. Let's all band together and boycott if they're going to try this. HTWT.

Reaperman
03-26-2012, 11:21 PM
It turns out I can buy in another state without fear of taxes. It was when I moved here and became a resident that they wanted double taxes on my car. (which I had to go to great lengths to prove I was exempt from)

Out of state dealers are even farther, though. The Shreveport dealer is more than far enough at 300 miles.
I wonder what kind of premium the New Orleans dealer charges for their oil changes.

TimAllen
03-27-2012, 12:24 AM
Every dealer for any company Ive dealt with had dealer taxs added on (300 to 500$). But 3000!!!! they are insane, the dealer i bought from had a $250 fee and they didn't want to go any lower then the MSRP because its their only Abarth coming in for 5 months, which is understandable. Fiat should get all that marking up stuff under control. I wish you luck on your search for an Abarth!

Dwaynek
03-27-2012, 12:52 AM
this is an unfortunate situation. On the west coast of Canada it is going to be between 2 and 3 grand. Rumours in LA where I was a couple of weeks ago similar numbers. If FIAT would product more in the initial year perhaps this wouldn't happen.

Roadpizza
03-27-2012, 04:30 AM
The dealer in Portland is at the top of the list when it comes to such tactics. I will not go back and I am hoping there will be more dealers in the region sooner then later.

CSSM
03-27-2012, 05:04 AM
The dealer in Portland is at the top of the list when it comes to such tactics. I will not go back and I am hoping there will be more dealers in the region sooner then later.

Nowhere in Oregon will get any soon. I would think that Tonkin would keep it low, since he is a car fanatic (I have met him and his personal vehicles). I wouldnt think it would be worth going to Seattle. I hope Eugene gets one, but I have only seen a few Fiats around town, so I dont know if there is a market here.

Mike S
03-27-2012, 09:32 AM
Reaperman

One of my plans to purchase an Abarth was to get one in New Orleans because of the $45 dealer fee. So much for that.

I think I'm just going to wait a bit. I NEEDED a new 500 as soon as I could get one but I only 'want' an Abarth. I can wait. I'm sure I can wait. Probably.

txdesign
03-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Same thing happened when I ordered my 2003 Mini Cooper S so I started shopping around and found an MSRP deal in Baton Rouge, LA. I am not saying you will find the same but you may be able to negotiate it down to $500 over or so.
Or you could wait a year until the hoopla dies down and all the early adopters have theirs.

Reaperman
03-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Reaperman

One of my plans to purchase an Abarth was to get one in New Orleans because of the $45 dealer fee. So much for that.

I think I'm just going to wait a bit. I NEEDED a new 500 as soon as I could get one but I only 'want' an Abarth. I can wait. I'm sure I can wait. Probably.

I was wondering if you were talking to me in the other thread, but I wasn't sure since it's one heck of a drive. You might want to start by requesting internet quotes from both New Orleans and Shreveport and start armed with those. (or by waiting for them to decrease) Sadly, it looks like the fiatusa 'request a quote' system is down at the moment.

I certainly don't plan on driving to Shreveport without a quote for MSRP (or maybe slightly over) in-hand. Even then, I expect to be totally slaughtered on my trade in. Yes, I guess I now am expecting to be mistreated by car dealers--this episode reminded me of how much fun I've never had buying a car.

fredfrey
03-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Yes, it seems even dealers who were NOT charging extra on the Primas are now trying to tack $500 (or more) onto the Abarths. Problem is the Primas were ordered directly from FIAT via the internet. This time the (Possibly very limited) Abarths are all up to the dealers so they can do what they want. At this point if you only order now you're probably not going to be in the first or perhaps even second batch (in popular areas) so maybe it's best to wait until an Abarth is sitting on the dealers floor costing them money each month. One year from now they will probably be discounting them!

MrFiat
03-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Both dealerships in Central New York are selling at MSRP. No markup! Doan Fiat in Rochester and Burdick in Syracuse are both excellent to work with. It's something to consider. New York State also has a cap of $45 on doc fees. 8.8%sales tax.

sk8ace
03-27-2012, 02:05 PM
We need to put together a dealer price list on here so we all know where the best place to look for a car and not waste our time with the greedy ones. Most of the dealers in the USA read these forums. might have some sort of impact on these markups.

Reaperman
03-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Initial contact with Shreveport dealer hasn't been terribly encouraging, but I'm going to keep at them for a quote.

Most of the dealers in the USA read these forums. might have some sort of impact on these markups.
I doubt that most visit here. Maybe a handful. The new orleans one seems to be part of a dealer group that shares employees. For all I know, tomorrow person I talked to will be selling Jeeps. Last night, while collecting my address, my salesman mentioned that he had recently sold a non-fiat to somebody on my street. But that might have been recovery after my wife noted that our street was only 3 blocks long and we hadn't seen a new 500.

VTEC Mini
03-27-2012, 06:32 PM
My dealer told they where going to put a "ridiculously high mark up" on theirs two months ago when I enquired. Someone once called it on a forum and "idiot tax". I think it is complete B.S. and I will never pay it- I don't care what kind of car it is. When the MINI came out every dealer in So Cal added a mark up. I left many salesmen in mid sentence standing in the middle of the lot after the word "mark up" spilled from there lips. The one dealer that didn't have a mark up was Long Beach MINI and they had a year waiting list just to order. I waited that whole year rather than pay mark up. I seriously don't play stupid games like this and things like "protection packages for $500" when it is a wax job and a can of Scotch Guard.

With that being said;

Dealers have a right to do what ever they want. If they find someone to pay mark up (There is always someone) then good for them- that's capitalism, but bad for the customer. With a car in high demand trying to talk them down is close to none and even if you do you probably wont get them to remove it all together and they could just end haggling at anytime because they know there is someone willing to pay, that is their right. I also have the right to just walk the minute I see "adjusted market price".

In my perfect world on a car like this MSRP is fair and I have no problems paying at that price. The key is to be patient. Mark ups will disappear eventually, they always do. Never in the history of the automobile has a mark up lasted it's entire life span that I am aware of at this level with this much competition. With the Focus ST, BRZ, FR-S, Veloster Turbo, MINI's redesign next year, new turbo Beetle and others I am probably forgetting I am willing to bet sooner than latter mark ups will soon disappear especially if the Abarth is too "limited".

DCAbarth
03-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Early this month I started the thread http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?4909-Dealership-games-begin because of a AMV (Ajusted Market Value) of $1k that was added to my pre-order a month after I had given my deposit! The GM told me all the area studios are or would be doing it, so naturally I called them to inquire and non were adding any AMVs. One didn't even know what it stood for! So, after a polite but disappointed post on their Facebook page, which was removed pretty quickly, and a call with the GM, the fee was removed for me and all other Abarth pre-orders. Not sure if anyone else at the dealer was aware of that AMV, but I thanks to social networking, the Studio decided their good reputation was more important to keep than to tack on fee for pure profit.

It still sucks they even tried it, but the end, the resolution was to my satisfaction and saved me the hassle of getting my deposit back and going to back to the end of the line at another studio.

So the power of social media works, make it know that you're disappointed in the added fees on their Facebook page.

VTEC Mini
03-27-2012, 07:08 PM
So the power of social media works, make it know that you're disappointed in the added fees on their Facebook page.

Good idea!

Fix it again Tony
03-27-2012, 08:00 PM

Actually, I stopped by Tonkin this afternoon to inquire about Abarth pricing, and they said that they were selling the Abarths at MSRP! They are getting a pair of test-drivers mid-April, one basic and one loaded. After seeing the grin on Jay Leno's face, I'll have to test drive them for myself.

hotelie1970
03-27-2012, 08:03 PM
Just remember that 5 years from now when you go to sell or trade your Fiat in for a new model no buyer or car dealer will be paying you back that extra dealer mark up; it's a pure rip off!

Mike S
03-27-2012, 08:04 PM
That's great!

I'm going to post on some of the FB pages of dealers I'm trying to work with. Most of them are not very web savvy and don't know how to undo the damage. They like using the web as a cheap (free) way to advertise but fail to see the unadvertising aspect with the truth written on their pages when they screw people.

Thanks for the heads up.

pchop
03-27-2012, 08:56 PM
That's great!

I'm going to post on some of the FB pages of dealers I'm trying to work with. Most of them are not very web savvy and don't know how to undo the damage. They like using the web as a cheap (free) way to advertise but fail to see the unadvertising aspect with the truth written on their pages when they screw people.

Thanks for the heads up.

There has been a wave of civil litigation with social media posts for libel and slander. It's one thing to talk "tough" on the internet, but it's another when you get served by the lawyers.

IMO, it's just not worth it.

Mike S
03-27-2012, 09:17 PM
There should be litigation when you bend the truth but mentioning the actual fees would not be a problem. Asking if they will charge the same dealer fee as X, Y or Z and mentioning the other fees is not slander. Asking why they are charging over MSRP is also not a problem.

DCAbarth
03-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Who's getting served?

Scorpion
03-27-2012, 10:30 PM
The best way to combat these type of tactics, other than turning 180 and leaving, is to do what you've just done… list them on forums such as this. Hopefully it gets the word out and discourages others from even visiting those type of establishments.

I'm all for capitalism, and the dealers are well within their rights to employ 'market adjustment' fees. If you've got a customer that will pay them, then more power to you. But, personally I will never pay a cent above MSRP on any car.

It's not even so much about the extra money, per say. But, it speaks volumes about the quality of the company you are dealing with.

And, the flip side to exposing greedy dealers is to promote those that are the 'good ones'. So, I have to say, if you are within driving distance of Toledo, OH, then you should look up Travis at Yark Fiat. He has been both fair and super attentive on both my Prima and Abarth purchases.

VTEC Mini
03-27-2012, 10:30 PM
There has been a wave of civil litigation with social media posts for libel and slander. It's one thing to talk "tough" on the internet, but it's another when you get served by the lawyers.

IMO, it's just not worth it.

There should be litigation when you bend the truth but mentioning the actual fees would not be a problem. Asking if they will charge the same dealer fee as X, Y or Z and mentioning the other fees is not slander. Asking why they are charging over MSRP is also not a problem.True. If you post on the dealers Facebook page "Harry's Fiat is sell an Abarth with a $5000 mark up and they are not budging." is not slander in the least bit. Same thing if you say, "They have poor service because the forgot to put oil in the engine when they did the oil change." All of that can be proven. However if you say, "They are crooks because they deliberately try to rip people off and screw up peoples cars so to make more money. " than thats slander.

VTEC Mini
03-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Who's getting served?

I don't think anybody is. It is just a warning you do have to be careful and be factual.

PFVA63
03-27-2012, 10:36 PM
Hi,

I agree in part with a lot of people here, about being disappointed about dealer markups. But at the same time my thought is that this is maybe the flip side of the discounts that others have been boasting about discounts they have been getting under MSRP on other models.

In the end, I would have very much been more happy had FIAT been able to stick with their one-price no haggle goal, but if buyers are expecting to be able to haggle for discounts on some models, than I guess that they shouldn't be surprised if they may get hit with markups above sticker price on other models :(

Pat

DCAbarth
03-27-2012, 10:54 PM
I don't think anybody is. It is just a warning you do have to be careful and be factual.

There hasn't been anything but facts. I put a $500 deposit on a car and a month later when I made minor change to my order, a hand written line item of $1k was added to my invoice? Really?! I wasn't going to grin and bear it, it was wrong! I called them out on it, and they realized that it wasn't the right thing to do, or at least I took it that way.

Roadpizza
03-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Congrats when that happens. Lets see what happens by the time you get out the door...I stand by what I said, as I have past experiences...

VTEC Mini
03-28-2012, 12:53 AM
There hasn't been anything but facts. I put a $500 deposit on a car and a month later when I made minor change to my order, a hand written line item of $1k was added to my invoice? Really?! I wasn't going to grin and bear it, it was wrong! I called them out on it, and they realized that it wasn't the right thing to do, or at least I took it that way.Then your good! :)

Yeah it was wrong and I agree with you.

Abarth01
03-28-2012, 07:09 AM
I've heard 2-3K in some areas over MSRP. Mine is being sold at MSRP. However, let me get this right. You are upset that a car which will be in high demand is being sold for 3K over MSRP? Would you be as equally upset if it was selling for 3K less than MSRP? When cars don't or are not selling, the price comes down. When the car is in high demand like this one is, the price will go up so long as someone is willing to pay. This doesn't happen for only the Abarth it happens for many other popular cars in high demand.

I certainly understand your disappointment at not being able to get the car at MSRP. May I suggest the following. Contact other FIAT studios outside your area and see if they will set at MSRP and have it shipped to your location? I know of at least one in my area that was selling them at MSRP. It would be a little extra to ship but you'd save.

VTEC Mini
03-28-2012, 09:09 AM
I've heard 2-3K in some areas over MSRP. Mine is being sold at MSRP. However, let me get this right. You are upset that a car which will be in high demand is being sold for 3K over MSRP? Would you be as equally upset if it was selling for 3K less than MSRP? When cars don't or are not selling, the price comes down. When the car is in high demand like this one is, the price will go up so long as someone is willing to pay. This doesn't happen for only the Abarth it happens for many other popular cars in high demand.

I certainly understand your disappointment at not being able to get the car at MSRP. May I suggest the following. Contact other FIAT studios outside your area and see if they will set at MSRP and have it shipped to your location? I know of at least one in my area that was selling them at MSRP. It would be a little extra to ship but you'd save.

Not upset at all. I will never pay it though and just as much as they have the right to charge it, I have every right to go some place else.

BillE
03-28-2012, 12:07 PM
(edit: I removed the text that I had quoted.)

It should go without saying that, of course you do. And similarly, other people who may accept paying extra to get their cars sooner or more conveniently, also have the "right". I feel some of the discussion around this topic in several threads leans in the direction of trying to prove that one's particular approach to purchasing is the right way.

When we bought our Mini while they were still in high demand: one local dealer added nothing to MSRP and the wait was about a year; the second local dealer added $1000 to MSRP and the wait was about 5 months; a third dealer added $2000 to MSRP and there was no wait except for the manufacturing and shipping times. We chose the middle solution (actually a rarely appropriate use of the worn-out "solution" word, IMHO). I had never paid over MSRP before and, with a lot of experience buying new cars, have negotiated well. Knowledge of the market, demand, current inventory, actual dealer cost (including incentives, etc), the ability to not be in love with the car in non-Abarth situations ;) and in my case a bit of maturity (i.e. old ;) ) can put you in a strong position. With that said, my wife and I were completely satisfied with our Mini purchase decision even with the additional $1000.

Choices are individual. I don't feel any more right for getting my Abarth without additional mark-up than I feel someone else isn't right for paying extra.

Cheers.

500ways
03-28-2012, 12:35 PM
It should go without saying that, of course you do. And similarly, other people who may accept paying extra to get their cars sooner or more conveniently, also have the "right". I feel some of the discussion around this topic in several threads leans in the direction of trying to prove that one's particular approach to purchasing is the right way.

When we bought our Mini while they were still in high demand: one local dealer added nothing to MSRP and the wait was about a year; the second local dealer added $1000 to MSRP and the wait was about 5 months; a third dealer added $2000 to MSRP and there was no wait except for the manufacturing and shipping times. We chose the middle solution (actually a rarely appropriate use of the worn-out "solution" word, IMHO). I had never paid over MSRP before and, with a lot of experience buying new cars, have negotiated well. Knowledge of the market, demand, current inventory, actual dealer cost (including incentives, etc), the ability to not be in love with the car in non-Abarth situations ;) and in my case a bit of maturity (i.e. old ;) ) can put you in a strong position. With that said, my wife and I were completely satisfied with our Mini purchase decision even with the additional $1000.

Choices are individual. I don't feel any more right for getting my Abarth without additional mark-up than I feel someone else isn't right for paying extra.

Cheers.

Well put, articulate and sound.

VTEC Mini
03-28-2012, 02:39 PM

Cheers.

I respect what you have to say and do understand what you are saying. However, I don't recall saying anywhere or even close there is a "right way" or "wrong way" to buy a car. If anything I have said anything about "rights" was the dealer has a right to sell a car above MSRP just as equal as I have the right to walk away. I don't recall anywhere where I or others insulted or said no one has right to buy above MSRP. I don't understand why you picked me to quote in your post since I didn't say anything about anyone else and what they choose to do. If you or anybody else has the money and thats what you want to do and if it makes you happy God bless you and good on ya! I am happy for you! If I came across any other way I am sorry, that was not the intent. For me I will never pay above MSRP I don't care what kind of car it is as I have stated before.

Abarth01
03-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Absolutely correct. I thought from what you said in your original post, "I guess I need to calm down" meant you were upset.

VTEC Mini
03-28-2012, 03:01 PM
Absolutely correct. I thought from what you said in your original post, "I guess I need to calm down" meant you were upset.

That wasn't me who said that... It's all good.

Abarth01
03-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Yep Yep, my bad.

BillE
03-28-2012, 03:27 PM
I respect what you have to say and do understand what you are saying. However, I don't recall saying anywhere or even close there is a "right way" or "wrong way" to buy a car. If anything I have said anything about "rights" was the dealer has a right to sell a car above MSRP just as equal as I have the right to walk away. I don't recall anywhere where I or others insulted or said no one has right to buy above MSRP. I don't understand why you picked me to quote in your post since I didn't say anything about anyone else and what they choose to do. If you or anybody else has the money and thats what you want to do and if it makes you happy God bless you and good on ya! I am happy for you! If I came across any other way I am sorry, that was not the intent. For me I will never pay above MSRP I don't care what kind of car it is as I have stated before.

As I said, "I feel some of the discussion around this topic in several threads".....etc. Yours was just the recent post so it was simply a reference. Sorry if it came across as if I was singling you out.

PS. I deleted the quote from my previous post.

speeddemon
03-28-2012, 11:16 PM
It's actually a good thing the Abarth isn't available yet, so I can save up and get my current car fixed, so when I do trade it in, I will be able to get something decent for it. The last two times I purchased a vehicle, I got shafted by the salesman and finance department, so I am not keen on going into a dealership to order an Abarth, especially since I hear that people will be paying at or above MSRP. This time, I am going to do my homework and get the best deal I can, once Fiat dealers have some sort of inventory (if that ever happens). I just hope in the future Fiat will offer cash back or 0% financing, but I am not counting my blessings. But, once my local dealer gets a tester, I will go for a spin, so I know full well this is what I want.

joforg
04-03-2012, 12:59 PM
in Toronto they seem to be sticking fairly close. I initially had a $275 advertising fee and a $375 tire warranty on top of the $300 dealer admin, but the final was MSRP plus the $300 dealer admin, as expected when I placed the deposit. The Canadian website Automobile Protection Association (www.apa.ca) has a posting if you use their web service. That way you are sure of not paying the premium. Works in T.O.and Mtl., probably Vcr. as well.

pchop
04-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Just saw this article that one of the first Abarth in the US was auctioned off at $30,000.

http://www.autominded.com/1372_first-fiat-500-abarth-and-audi-r8-gt-spyder-sold-in-boca-raton-auction

joforg
04-16-2012, 07:30 PM
That's cool. a little premium over list, proceeds to charity, and someone gets to be #1. I like it, kudos to Fiat and Audi for stepping in and up

Have Trumpet Will Travel
04-16-2012, 11:36 PM
And, the flip side to exposing greedy dealers is to promote those that are the 'good ones'. So, I have to say, if you are within driving distance of Toledo, OH, then you should look up Travis at Yark Fiat. He has been both fair and super attentive on both my Prima and Abarth purchases. Toledo? How about Strongsville, Ohio? I'm in "the hills of Virginia", my car came from the mentioned northern Ohio dealer and my savings amounted to around $1,600 (paid LESS than $15,000 for my "Pop" exactly how I wanted it, and showed 6 miles when I drove it off the lot). Be persistant - there ARE ways to save money - don't be in such a hurry that you agree to tactics that you shouldn't have to. Anyway, I am waiting for the ABARTH 500 to have been available for a year and a half, I intend to buy a 2014 model. Just MY plan - HTWT.

Have Trumpet Will Travel
04-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Just thought I should be a little more specific about my post (#49) above. My studio in Fredericksburg, Va. picked-up the "tab" and had the 500 Pop shipped overnight from Strongsville, Ohio. The Virginia dealer is the one who gave the huge discounts, all because of a three-month wait on the car I had ordered Aug. 9, 2011 which never showed-up (longer story). Picked up my "Rame" / Nero 500 on Oct. 21, 2011 and have had nothing but pleasure with it ever since. All-in-all, these are beautiful little "jewels" and it is my hope that you are all enjoying yours as much as I am - cheers. BTW, I also love the 44 m.p.g. that the car consistenty delivers (with RRM C.A.I. noless).HTWT.

darthchu
04-18-2012, 08:48 PM
first, let me start off by saying i have never paid sticker for any car i've ever owned...up until now.
i currently live in los angeles, so there are a few "studios" to choose from within a reasonable driving distance.
i called around a few places, a few weeks ago and this is what i was quoted over the phone...the first said $2500.00 over MSRP...the second was $5000.00 over MSRP!!
that's right, $5k over MSRP!!

it wasn't looking good for me.
i called a third studio, which was just a bit further out than the first two, and they said "no premium, only asking MSRP".
needless to say i was there within the hour and placed my deposit down just before closing time.

i am in the second allocation, which would place me at #5 of 5 for this studio (FIAT of Thousand Oaks)!!
i have a VON# and my status shows "production scheduled".

nojeebs
04-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Nice! Got mine placed at Sierra Fiat in Duarte. MSRP as well. Hopefully I get a VIN soon. That's the only thing right now that's keeping me on edge. Uggghh...

noopd
04-18-2012, 10:09 PM
ya, if you have several studios close to you, it's not a bad idea to call around. When i bought my MINI cooper s 10 years ago, all the dealers were doing markups, but i called around and found one that is asking for MSRP only, there were also nice and no pressure too. (LONG BEACH MINI). Now that i'm in Norcal, I also found one right in my neighborhood (berkeley) that doesn't do markup and i was able to order it at MSRP. the process was easy. My order is now "scheduled for production" too and hopefully i'll have it sooner than later. can hardly wait.. !!

Ferrero1911
04-18-2012, 10:14 PM
first, let me start off by saying i have never paid sticker for any car i've ever owned...up until now.
i currently live in los angeles, so there are a few "studios" to choose from within a reasonable driving distance.
i called around a few places, a few weeks ago and this is what i was quoted over the phone...the first said $2500.00 over MSRP...the second was $5000.00 over MSRP!!
that's right, $5k over MSRP!!

it wasn't looking good for me.
i called a third studio, which was just a bit further out than the first two, and they said "no premium, only asking MSRP".
needless to say i was there within the hour and placed my deposit down just before closing time.

i am in the second allocation, which would place me at #5 of 5 for this studio (FIAT of Thousand Oaks)!!
i have a VON# and my status shows "production scheduled".

Congrats! I'm also in the second allocation at Fiat of Thousand Oaks. Larry has been great keeping me updated so far. What color/options did you get?
I'm getting Nero with red stripes and mirror caps and black leather seats.

Maybe We'll meet when we pick up our cars. Welcome to the forum!

VTEC Mini
04-18-2012, 10:19 PM
ya, if you have several studios close to you, it's not a bad idea to call around. When i bought my MINI cooper s 10 years ago, all the dealers were doing markups, but i called around and found one that is asking for MSRP only, there were also nice and no pressure too. (LONG BEACH MINI). Now that i'm in Norcal, I also found one right in my neighborhood (berkeley) that doesn't do markup and i was able to order it at MSRP. the process was easy. My order is now "scheduled for production" too and hopefully i'll have it sooner than later. can hardly wait.. !!I remember those days. I went to Long Beach too- spent a year on the waiting list to order and then it was another three months berfore I got my MINI. What a waste that ended up being.

darthchu
04-18-2012, 11:34 PM
Congrats! I'm also in the second allocation at Fiat of Thousand Oaks. Larry has been great keeping me updated so far. What color/options did you get?
I'm getting Nero with red stripes and mirror caps and black leather seats.

Maybe We'll meet when we pick up our cars. Welcome to the forum!

right on!
i set mine up just like yours except i went with the cloth seats and 17's.
mike was my sales guy and he has been extremely helpful and easy going.

EliRider
04-19-2012, 05:06 AM
Nowhere in Oregon will get any soon. I would think that Tonkin would keep it low, since he is a car fanatic (I have met him and his personal vehicles). I wouldnt think it would be worth going to Seattle. I hope Eugene gets one, but I have only seen a few Fiats around town, so I dont know if there is a market here.

I was #12 on the list in Portland as they currently have 3 Abarths in transit. There was no mention of markup. I did get a call to order in the second batch... However, I decided to go to Boise, ID as I'm #1 on the list and will be getting mine soon. In fact, $200 less off of MSRP (no dealer markup and no sales tax). So far, I highly recommend Dennis Dillon Fiat in Boise. I was considering flying from Portland to Boise since there are many flights @$100.