PDA

View Full Version : Jay Leno's Review

CSSM
03-26-2012, 02:48 PM
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/cars/fiat/2012-fiat-500-abarth-part-2/index.shtml#item=212197

I am glad he likes it! Not many other people to trust about stuff like that. This decision is getting easier by the day :encouragement:

Abarth01
03-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Leno already liked the 500 so it was a no brainer he'd like the Abarth and it shows. I especially liked the hand brake u-turn!

pchop
03-26-2012, 09:14 PM
keeeeeeeewwwwwl!!!

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
03-26-2012, 10:02 PM
I am more confused than normal,why would one want to change exhaust on the abarth. The rep for fiat said on Jay lenos garage that the car basically had no muffler, wide open. How do you improve if nothing is best. Wasnt the abarth name known for exhaust and suspension works?

TimAllen
03-27-2012, 12:09 AM
I am pretty sure he meant it had no exhaust valve switch on it, like the monza exhaust does. But the exhaust sounds great stock so i wouldn't want to change it!

Dwaynek
03-27-2012, 12:55 AM
there is no exhaust on the Abarth. No baffles in the pipe or muffler straight thru!!!

TimAllen
03-27-2012, 01:27 AM
Im 100% sure it has an exhaust with a muffler on it! It shows it in this video http://blip.tv/motomantv/2013-fiat-500-abarth-motoman-exhaust-note-6018090

luke_vibert_uk
03-27-2012, 01:21 PM
One thing I am noticing in a lot of the US promo stuff of the car

They are using a sound effect for the car...more obvious on some clips I've seen

or

The effect of the Multi Air engine on the standard "Double Shot" exhaust is such that the exhaust note is changed compared to the EU version

or

the central silencer and/or CAT is not necessary for the US cars and therefore its removal will no doubt increase noise

That all said the exhaust looks the same as mine in the above clip so I think option one or two is more relevant here...but I hope its the third. ;)

Just to note, the rear silencer is just that. A straight through system will drive you insane in no time with frequent use.

TimAllen
03-27-2012, 02:17 PM
I found this video of a NA version Abarth and it sounds GLORIOUS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8Fd47g1PPU No sound effects there :) I've heard in a couple videos that the exhaust system on the Abarth in the US is louder! so hopefully it is option three.

luke_vibert_uk
03-27-2012, 02:30 PM
Righto by the sounds of it, it doesn't have a centre silencer.

rtwolfe
03-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Im 100% sure it has an exhaust with a muffler on it! It shows it in this video http://blip.tv/motomantv/2013-fiat-500-abarth-motoman-exhaust-note-6018090
I had my fiat in to get a special flash by fiat engineer. We got to talking about the USA Abarth exhaust. He said basically it was a 'straight pipe'. So how they made it street legal is beyond me but I agree with the comments about a limited market for exhaust upgrades.

Ciao.

TimAllen
03-27-2012, 04:46 PM
hmm interesting! if it is pretty much a straight pipe then Abarth did a masterful job, to have a straight pipe be quiet while cruising is beyond me haha

geeded
03-27-2012, 05:58 PM
hmm interesting! if it is pretty much a straight pipe then Abarth did a masterful job, to have a straight pipe be quiet while cruising is beyond me haha

I agree but it probably wasn't all that hard. We don't have the strict noise laws that created the "two-tier" exhausts used in Europe. Also, the turbo helps to muffle the sound compared to a normally aspirated engine.

That, plus we get all the cool stuff :)

VTEC Mini
03-27-2012, 06:01 PM
http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/cars/fiat/2012-fiat-500-abarth-part-2/index.shtml#item=212197

I am glad he likes it! Not many other people to trust about stuff like that. This decision is getting easier by the day :encouragement:

I love it!

roberto10
03-27-2012, 06:18 PM
hey guys i am awaiting the abarth like all of you aswell, i live in canada,i can help with the exhaust part of it being street legal with only a straight pipe.i own a 2004 neon srt4 it doesn't come with mufflers its only a downpipe cat pipe and tips...the reason is the turbo acts like a muffler so it doesn't need an actual muffler.i know it sounds weird but if you look it up the turbo actually acts like a muffler..but the abarth sounds great i love it can't wait till mine gets here :)

hotelie1970
03-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Io voglio uno subito!

Abarth01
03-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Everyone has their own opinion of what the best sounding exhaust is like.

wachuko
03-27-2012, 11:09 PM
So all that is really needed is a high flow cat?

Anyway, this is great news. I will enjoy the stock setup for many miles...

Back to Jay Leno driving the car, the face of the Fiat executive when Jay pulled the e-brake was priceless!!

FiatGusto
03-28-2012, 12:36 AM
Back to the Review: Is it my iPad,or is the sound way too low to hear? Jay came across louder that our FIAT rep.

CSSM
03-28-2012, 03:23 AM
Back to the Review: Is it my iPad,or is the sound way too low to hear? Jay came across louder that our FIAT rep.

I turned up the volume for the car scenes and the Rep speaking, but turned it down for Jay haha

luke_vibert_uk
03-28-2012, 12:13 PM
I agree but it probably wasn't all that hard. We don't have the strict noise laws that created the "two-tier" exhausts used in Europe. Also, the turbo helps to muffle the sound compared to a normally aspirated engine.

That, plus we get all the cool stuff :)

What extra cool stuff is that then?

geeded
03-28-2012, 05:48 PM
What extra cool stuff is that then?

Well, let's see.... Liberal access firearms come to mind :). Three thousand miles of open country, mountains, plains, and still having a 'little' freedom is nice. I also appreciate the 'Murican unwillingness to embrace the metric system (although the British seem to have come to terms with it and still use our 'old' measurements when desired). The ability to own more than one car without them costing the equivalent of a house (thinking Norway here). Our climate can be tailored to suit an individual, depending on their willingness to move. As a matter of fact, pretty much anything you desire can be tailored by moving a State that suits your inclination...say Nevada or Utah or California or (New Jersey, this assuming you really want to pay pre-revolutionary English colony style taxes). Cars that you can actually own that have 400+ HP, that don't cost a fortune, and also not tax you into penury. Gas (petrol) that, even today, is still cheap by Euro standards. A great mix of all kinds of people who came here to enjoy the good 'ol USA (and Canada's OK too, eh?). I do enjoy the pubs in Britain though...I really, really do.

Just kidding around though. However, it is nice to finally have a European car here in NA that is arguably better than its Euro counterpart. Usually, we get a hamstrung version of (insert your car here), or get no version at all. I approve of the change. ;)

Cheers and TTFN, Oh, and add a Ciao for good measure.

Mike S
03-28-2012, 06:25 PM
I don't know that all of those are good things.

We have almost no access to good beer. Our version of Top Gear sucks. While gas is cheap we can drive our SUV's to the supermarket and leave the engine running with the air-conditioning on so the car is cool when we return.

We have some of the best health care in the world but we can't afford to use it nor can we afford the medication we need because the meds we produce here cost us more than we charge the rest of the world for the same products.

Whitworth inches are bigger so they must be better.

We do however have good cheeseburgers.

You get all the cars we want so we are jealous and want to throw stones at you.

geeded
03-28-2012, 06:45 PM
I don't know that all of those are good things.

We have almost no access to good beer. Our version of Top Gear sucks. While gas is cheap we can drive our SUV's to the supermarket and leave the engine running with the air-conditioning on so the car is cool when we return.

Whitworth inches are bigger so they must be better.

We do however have good cheeseburgers.

You get all the cars we want so we are jealous and want to throw stones at you.

Beer - I live near Asheville (enough said)..Neener, Neener

Top Gear - You're right.

Gas - If you can afford it and don't mind having your car stolen, why not?

Medicine - Not touching that one. Keeping it light :)

Whitworth - Just what I need... another set of wrenches... although I did own a Metropolitan once that used them. OTOH, bigger is always better.

Cheeseburgers - Yes and I should have mentioned the wonder that is a cheeseburgers with bacon, and don't forget bar-b-que. I live in NC after all. Ketchup based sauce is so lame. Try vinegar or mustard based for a change.

Cars - Yes, but if we actually had them, we'd probably bitch...

Cheers ;)

Mike S
03-28-2012, 06:58 PM
You did bring the thread back to Fiat 500 content. Well done.

The Nash Metropolitan used a Fiat (500) Topolino frame.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
03-28-2012, 09:09 PM
Beer / can not drink anymore / cheeseburger doc said no to thoose in excess/ But Ive Got the sweetest wife / great life. live in South Carolina on the intra coastal waterway.Only stress is waiting for Abarth.

geeded
03-29-2012, 12:25 AM
Beer / can not drink anymore / cheeseburger doc said no to thoose in excess/ But Ive Got the sweetest wife / great life. live in South Carolina on the intra coastal waterway.Only stress is waiting for Abarth.

Tell me about it. I put my deposit down in Mar 2011...OTOH, life is good, I wake up every morning (always a good thing), I still love my wife after 30+ years, and she said GA buy the Abarth. Now if Ijust live long enough to drive it!

Live long and prosper. IDIC