PDA

View Full Version : Anybody try the Mopar Cold air intake for the 2012+ Fiat 500 yet?

FiaTED
03-20-2012, 01:03 PM
http://moparonlineparts.com/product_info.php/products_id/2990

sjmst
03-20-2012, 05:02 PM
http://moparonlineparts.com/product_info.php/products_id/2990

Yes. I like it. A first the increased engine noise put me off a bit, but now I like it and realize it is more pleasing than loud. More punch and about 2MPG increase.

FiaTED
03-20-2012, 05:04 PM
Looks GREAT!

Did your local Fiat Dealer install it?

How much ?

thanks

FiaTED
03-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Do you think increase in sound is due to removal of engine cover or new sound from CAI?

davidl
03-20-2012, 05:34 PM
I had the dealer install the Mopar CAI and exhaust. Perhaps on the expensive side compared to what I have seen posted, but peace of mind and a job well done. I don't hear the difference upfront as the exhaust sound has changed so much. I think there is more pull in the midrange, but in sport mode I have never thought the performance lacking. I am very happy and feel like a 16 year old with the rorty sound.

MikeThinks
03-20-2012, 06:15 PM
Yes. I like it. A first the increased engine noise put me off a bit, but now I like it and realize it is more pleasing than loud. More punch and about 2MPG increase.

I just did my own short ram intake and noticed a big MPG increase too (about 3mpg in my automatic for my commute). I was wondering if I was crazy or the computer was not calculating the fuel flow correctly because its such a large change, nice to know I'm not completely crazy. How loud is the CIA? I know my short ram intake makes a little more noise under normal acceleration , but absolutely screams if I jump on it.

unknown_eyes
03-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Do you think increase in sound is due to removal of engine cover or new sound from CAI?

A little of both, but its really only noticable under acceleration and not noticable at crusing speeds. I had mine installed at the dealer and it was a little expensive. But if your handy with tools it shouldn't be to hard to do. There are several threads on the CAI and I think one gave instructions. I love mine! Also have the Borla exhaust and I just love to pop the sunroof or roll down a window and listen to all the great new sounds the car makes. The CAI makes some great whoosing sounds and the exhaust some nice gurgling ones! Really makes for an even better driving experience!

noliebro
03-20-2012, 06:58 PM
I installed mine and can give you some details if you get stuck. Here is the thread with my impressions:
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?4353-Mopar-Cold-Air-Intake-Installed

There were a couple tricky bits but overall it should only take an hour for someone handy and perhaps a few hours for a novice.

mikemck
03-20-2012, 10:50 PM
Do all of these alternative intakes require leaving the engine cover off?

What is involved in cleaning or replacing the filter with the Mopar intake?

SeaDawg
03-20-2012, 11:32 PM

With the exception of the Competizione, YES. You have to at least remove some screws from the inner fender liner on the driver's side to get access to the filter. I don't have one so I'll let someone else give you the gritty details.

unknown_eyes
03-21-2012, 05:54 PM

Like SeaDawg said the competizone is the only one I know of that will allow you to retain the engine cover.

The mopar CAI uses a washable dry media filter that requires no oil. Cleaning requires a thorough rinse with plain water. You can let the filter air dry, but I dont think that it would be required to dry the filter before replacing it if you were in a hurry. Quote from item description on moparpartsonline.com "This intake comes with a bypass valve, which is a safety device that opens automatically if water ever gets into the air filter. This safety device ensures that water will never enter your motor." I dont think you can access the filter easily without removing the drivers side wheel and lowering the fender liner like you have to do to install the CAI.

Now as for how often to clean the filter. I have conveniently misplaced the instructions that came with my CAI, so I'm not sure what is recommended. I have researched this myself online and some people say to check/clean it every time you change the oil, every 6 months, to once a year. I had mine installed by the dealer and I asked the tech about this and he told me to clean it once a year and that it should be good for the life of the car, so no need to replace the filter.

Charles
06-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Wondering whats the difference in the engine cover on the competizione model?

Charles
06-22-2012, 11:23 AM
yep...now I feel like a retard lmbo...understand its the comp intake assy...smh