PDA

View Full Version : Another Sirius Expiration thread

Thad
03-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Just as the calendar tells me, I've had my car for exactly one year from the date of delivery. I've had TONS of begging/pleading mailers and even phone calls form Sirius to get me to extend the service. I won't do it unless they SIGNIFICANTLY improve the audio quality. So, my subscription ended today. I have several sports channels still and one channel that is an announcement channel.

eatworksleepdie
03-19-2012, 11:05 AM
yeah, the audio quality is not good. I think you especially hear the bad signal quality with a nicer system like what the Bose system sounds like. I won't buy the service either. besides that, 95% of the channels are junk.

Mike S
03-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Me too!

FiatGusto
03-19-2012, 08:31 PM
I renewed mine today effective in May, but, as Thad suggested, opted out of the adult channels. I really was concerned about a grandkid surfing signals and pick up this stuff.
Less money than their Premier package.
I mainly listen to news and NPR, so audio is good for me.

cmj912
03-19-2012, 08:39 PM
I probably won't renew in June when mine is up. I only like the 80s channel. Seems a little expensive just for one thing. Back when it was XM they had Baroque, Alternative 80s, Electronica, Indie and even JPOP (Asian Pop) and all kinds of other really cool specifics - kind of like iTunes radio which I listen to all the time.

Just don't think it will be worth the price. I wish they had much smaller listening packages, but then again there isn't a whole lot they're offering that I like.

FiatGusto
03-19-2012, 09:01 PM
For us in southern Oregon, we need satelite radio. We only have right side radio, left side radio, a local public radio with poor signals, spanish language and religious.
No sport, no national news (except on the hour) and music either from Lawrence Welk, country or hard rock.
I find peace with my Sirius selections and our mountains don`t seem to interfere.
No I don`t work for them.

SeaDawg
03-19-2012, 11:50 PM
I probably won't renew in June when mine is up. I only like the 80s channel. Seems a little expensive just for one thing. Back when it was XM they had Baroque, Alternative 80s, Electronica, Indie and even JPOP (Asian Pop) and all kinds of other really cool specifics - kind of like iTunes radio which I listen to all the time.

Just don't think it will be worth the price. I wish they had much smaller listening packages, but then again there isn't a whole lot they're offering that I like.

Don't they still have the 'Mostly Music' package? It used to be like $9.99 per month on XM. I agree the quality of the transmission could certainly be better, but that price seems reasonable to me. We have an excellent FM station here in Orlando 98.9 WMMO, but its signal seems rather muddy on the car radio whereas the Sirius signal just seems really sonicly 'dull'.

I hope they still have the 'Mostly Music' package as that is what I opted for last year, right after I got the FIAT 500, for in May 2012 when my year expires. It's also the package I had on the vehicle I traded for the 500.

Prima 109
03-20-2012, 12:52 AM
Don't they still have the 'Mostly Music' package? It used to be like $9.99 per month on XM. I agree the quality of the transmission could certainly be better, but that price seems reasonable to me. We have an excellent FM station here in Orlando 98.9 WMMO, but its signal seems rather muddy on the car radio whereas the Sirius signal just seems really sonicly 'dull'.

I hope they still have the 'Mostly Music' package as that is what I opted for last year, right after I got the FIAT 500, for in May 2012 when my year expires.

Yes they do. That's what I got on mine.

Chris
03-20-2012, 07:30 AM
About audio quality... I wouldn't judge the quality of FM, Sat, CD or anything through that Bose stereo... it's muddy and missing a substantial chunk of midrange. Has a decent "image".

Just to say it again- don't wait for satellite radio to "improve audio quality". The only way that will happen would be if the drastically reduced the number of channels as they are bandwidth limited. Then consumers would gripe that channels are being reduced.
Listening to (and scoping) the music channels (which get the most bits unless something has changed lately) through a higher-end stereo, they're on par with some station's HD delivery and certainly with FM.

They'll be facing a need to replace the satellites sooner than later with a business model that is still rather upside down. It will be a happy day for Sirius when wi-fi in cars becomes more ubiquitous and they can drop satellite altogether.

As for me, I'll happily renew. I'd renew for Radio Classics alone.

cmj912
03-20-2012, 08:43 AM

I hope they still have the 'Mostly Music' package as that is what I opted for last year, right after I got the FIAT 500, for in May 2012 when my year expires. It's also the package I had on the vehicle I traded for the 500.

Yes, they do still have it, but I guess I was just disappointed in the selection of the actual music channels given my actual taste. I realize my taste might just not be their market and $9.99 isn't bad at all, but I think a great enhancement would be if you could pick the channels that you have access to specifically. In other words not a package, but "for $9.99 you get to pick 10 or 20 of your own".

SeaDawg
03-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Yes, they do still have it, but I guess I was just disappointed in the selection of the actual music channels given my actual taste. I realize my taste might just not be their market and $9.99 isn't bad at all, but I think a great enhancement would be if you could pick the channels that you have access to specifically. In other words not a package, but "for $9.99 you get to pick 10 or 20 of your own".

Ah, an advocate for 'ala carte' pricing. I could get behind that.

Doodles
03-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Yes they do. That's what I got on mine.

That's what I have and they only charge me 7.28 a month
# 395.