PDA

View Full Version : lowconabarth

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
03-03-2012, 11:21 PM
i noticed some folks recommending the standard 16in rims over the 17in option is this a cost thing or ride or something else

MrFiat
03-03-2012, 11:58 PM
As far as I know, it's some of both. 17's cost a grand more and come with summer tires that don't have very good feedback on the Tire Rack site). 16's are standard with the all season tires. Those that have driven them both say that the ride on the lower profile tires is a little stiffer but not all that much. You might get differing opinions but I believe that's the concensus.

Fix it again Tony
03-04-2012, 12:42 AM
I test drove them all, and the 17s had a noticeable harshness to them. There may be a difference between various possible wheel and tire combinations, but the 16inch wheels are much more driveable (IMHO). I really wanted the 17 inch wheels, they looked the best while parked, but for me they fell way short on the road test. The 15s seemed okay until I drove on the 16s. You should probably test them all for yourself!

unknown_eyes
03-04-2012, 11:34 AM
I dont have an Abarth or any plans to buy one, but I wanted to chime in here. I have a set of the 17x7 Abarth Esseesse wheels on my lounge. They do ride a little more harshly than the 15" that were on my car, but the ride is not bad. I purchased them for the look and ride quality be damned, thankfully ride is very acceptable to me. Tirerack recommend the 195/40-17, I did not want the summer tires and ordered a set of 205/40-17 ultra high performance all season tires instead. I did a search on tirerack.com and they list the 205/40-17 with 18 tire choices for the Abarth. SO you can alway upgrade to a different tire after the originals wear out. I know that the suspension in my lounge is probably alot softer than the Abarth, but dont let the ride quality of the 17" wheels turn you off.

ggravant
03-04-2012, 11:50 AM
I most likely will go with the 16" rims mainly because I am not real excited about the two 17" options and I always like to have a set of winter wheels. The 16" would turn into winter wheels and hopefully I will find a set of aftermarket wheels that I like.

the stig
03-04-2012, 06:37 PM
I ordered my Abarth with 16's to get a little less ride harshness and more protection from potholes. I don't want to hit a bad pothole and have to replace a rim. I know that can happen, a45 series gives a little better protection from that.. For me the 16's sidewall is plenty skinny/high performance enough. In fact my lotus runs a 205-45-16 and it works pretty well....:joyous:If you want to have a track day car thats a different matter. For the majority of people who use the car to commute, the 45 series 16's are plenty good and sporty enough. As far as the look,thats a different and more of personal taste thing.