PDA

View Full Version : Paint Protection

DCAbarth
03-03-2012, 02:21 PM
As I google various pros and cons to automotive paint protection products, I'm interested if anyone has used or plans to have it applied with their Abarth (or any car for that matter). Although my studio hasn't pushed it on me yet, they're offering to seal the body with CilaJet for around $450. Other than when on the road, my Abarth will be in a garage. Anyone hear of CilaJet or have experience with it?

Thanks,
Ray

unknown_eyes
03-04-2012, 12:17 PM
I know nothing of that product, but did read a few interesting reviews online. Google it to read for yourself.

As a general rule I never purchase these types of dealer add ons. Buy a good quality wax and learn to enjoy caring for your car. I find the time I spend detailing my car to be quite therapeutic!!

BillE
03-04-2012, 03:27 PM
I've had paint protection film (PPF), aka Clear Bra, installed on my last 2 cars at independent shops. I wouldn't have it done by a car dealer because the price would be higher than it needs to be and because you would most likely be limited to one specific brand (the one they use or their subcontractor uses) rather than being able to choose the best among the several brands now available. Here's a link to a Window Tint website that also includes an excellent PPF thread with good info including discussions re different brands such as 3M, VentureShield, LLumar, Suntek, XPEL, Avery (Nano Fusion), etc. http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php

The idea of PPF is to largely help protect the car's finish from debris, bugs, small bits of stone, etc. It doesn't come cheap but I think it's a good example of when to shop for quality rather than lowest price. It's saved my recent cars from having the typical nicks and such across their hoods and fronts, and I think it is a worthwhile investment.

Different brands can require somewhat different techniques. Finding a good experienced installer with a proven track record seems to be critical. A typical installation is to cover just the front of the car, part of the way up the hood and the side mirrors, though apparently some owners choose to have more covered. The good products can and should be washed and waxed the same as a normal car finish; except don't use anything abrasive.

I'm leaning toward using a relatively new product by Avery called Nano Fusion. It has some unique and desirable qualities including not yellowing...which could especially make a difference on a white car. Next challenge is to find someone in my area who installs Nano Fusion. I take that back - my next real challenge is to actually get delivery of my Abarth :)

Also note that many car enthusiasts' websites such as BMW and Corvette have threads discussing PPF....much info can be gained there too. Google PPF and clear bra.

Cheers.

ggravant
03-04-2012, 05:44 PM
I've had paint protection film (PPF), aka Clear Bra, installed on my last 2 cars at independent shops. I wouldn't have it done by a car dealer because the price would be higher than it needs to be and because you would most likely be limited to one specific brand (the one they use or their subcontractor uses) rather than being able to choose the best among the several brands now available. Here's a link to a Window Tint website that also includes an excellent PPF thread with good info including discussions re different brands such as 3M, VentureShield, LLumar, Suntek, XPEL, Avery (Nano Fusion), etc. http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index.php

The idea of PPF is to largely help protect the car's finish from debris, bugs, small bits of stone, etc. It doesn't come cheap but I think it's a good example of when to shop for quality rather than lowest price. It's saved my recent cars from having the typical nicks and such across their hoods and fronts, and I think it is a worthwhile investment.

Different brands can require somewhat different techniques. Finding a good experienced installer with a proven track record seems to be critical. A typical installation is to cover just the front of the car, part of the way up the hood and the side mirrors, though apparently some owners choose to have more covered. The good products can and should be washed and waxed the same as a normal car finish; except don't use anything abrasive.

I'm leaning toward using a relatively new product by Avery called Nano Fusion. It has some unique and desirable qualities including not yellowing...which could especially make a difference on a white car. Next challenge is to find someone in my area who installs Nano Fusion. I take that back - my next real challenge is to actually get delivery of my Abarth :)

Also note that many car enthusiasts' websites such as BMW and Corvette have threads discussing PPF....much info can be gained there too. Google PPF and clear bra.

Cheers.I do not think he is talking about a clear bra application - which I think is a good product. He is asking about a paint sealant, which I would not pay for from anyone (dealer or independent). Zaino = win

BillE
03-04-2012, 06:33 PM
I do not think he is talking about a clear bra application - which I think is a good product. He is asking about a paint sealant, which I would not pay for from anyone (dealer or independent). Zaino = win

Hi ggravant,

Since the original poster, DCAbarth, referred to having googled "various pros and cons to automotive paint protection products", I felt some info re PPF / clear bra might be useful. If it isn't useful to him, or to you, hopefully it will be to someone who reads this thread based on its topic/subject.

Nice that you, too, think it's a good product.

Cheers.

DCAbarth
03-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I originally assumed the CilaJet product was a film like clear bra. Not until I actually saw the pamphlet at the studio the other day and went to their website did I figure out it was an application on the paint.

It's nice to hear you have experience with clear bra and are happy with it. I'll google ppf and clear bra to find out more.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Fix it again Tony
03-04-2012, 11:22 PM
I chose not to have any sealant/clear coat/whatever applied to my 500 simply by looking closely at various 7 year old cars that had this type of product applied. Lots of peeling, color shifts and deformities were observed. I decided I will care for the finish myself with regular polishing, and then re-paint in 7 years or so.

FireDave
03-06-2012, 11:33 AM
s a vehicle detailer I can tell you that protection products for inside and outside of the vehicle are a great money maker for the dealer. A lot of dealers have a person that only sells this to new owners. The dealer and sale person makes all the money the person that applies it gets just his hourly wage. Most of the products are very good, but most people do not keep up with taking care of their vehicle. These products do not last forever. Like Unknown Eyes said do it yourself and enjoy it its very therapeutic!! and its easy if you keep up with it.

GramCracker
03-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Another thing to do when you take delivery of the car, is bring it right to a very good detailer and have them perform a new car detailing (you'd be surprised at how bad the new paint can be!). They will prep it, remove any small swirl marks, apply wax, all the good stuff, ect. Dealers aren't always the best at getting your brand new car ready for you.

For an example of a FANTASTIC company that does this check out Detailers Domain.

ggravant
03-06-2012, 12:06 PM
I just use Zaino claybar, Z-AIO, Z-CS and Z-8 on the new car, then later on the Z-CS and Z-8 and a Meguiars DA microfiber correction system as needed.

DCAbarth
03-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Thanks everyone. I will find a detailed the first time and enjoy taking care of e car all by self after. The Abarth is small and won't take much time to wash/wax etc. Can't wait!

yankeelover
03-09-2012, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE=DCAbarth;550108]please note Cilajet is in a HUGe lawsuit that can possibily turn to a class action. be careful!

banzaitoyota
02-23-2013, 06:34 PM
More of a dodojuice fan myself

2Cool
02-23-2013, 07:40 PM
[QUOTE=DCAbarth;550108]please note Cilajet is in a HUGe lawsuit that can possibily turn to a class action. be careful!

One post wonder, hmm... the linked forum discussion and the court documents show that the guy "warning people" is the one being sued by Cila, not people suing them. Amazing how the internet turns things about.

Personally I prefer doing my own detailing, and view these products as a profit item for a dealership. Only part that would make it interesting is the suppose warranty on the interior upholstery with free replacement of any damage.

L8apex
02-24-2013, 12:48 AM
One of the "issues" of having a sealant done is that it seals things in as well as out. If there are any flaws in the paint, and I promise you there are, then the sealant will lock them in as well.

I suggest taking it to a good detailer and having them correct the paint and then apply 22PLE.

It is a pretty high end product and has been a big hit in the exotic world.

I had my Abarth corrected and coated. I am very happy with the results, not only does it look fantastic, it also stays cleaner longer and is easier to clean when dirty. I talked my mom into having her Lexus coated and my brother had his Cadillac done as well. All are pleased with it.

L8apex
02-24-2013, 12:55 AM
http://esotericdetail.com/22ple-glass-coating/22ple-authorized-installation-centers/

Checkout DJ Mayo Studios for detailing in your area.

Wolfie
02-24-2013, 06:36 PM
Another alternative (the one I use) is Permanon Car Supershine - easy to apply and very good results :encouragement:

http://www.permanonusa.com/Car.html

Before the Permanon treatment a Clay bar treatment is recommended - I use the SM Arnold Speedy prep towel

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/speedy-surface-prep-towel-ssp-589.html

wilbmeister
02-25-2013, 11:11 PM
I have a friend who uses products from Griot's Garage. Anyone ever used their products?

banzaitoyota
02-25-2013, 11:28 PM
I have a friend who uses products from Griot's Garage. Anyone ever used their products?

Riots has decent stuff, but at a premium price. I prefer autogeek

shabba
02-26-2013, 11:36 AM
I bought the sealant with my Abarth and got it for a much reduced price, $200. That's still a lot of dough, yes, but I got a kit that has all the chemicals for me to reapply myself. Someone else said here, correctly, that none of these products are permanent. They must be reapplied at certain times. My sealant add-on was an underneath coating, inside coating and a wax. I have all of that in my kit that came with the sale and I would say it's worth at least half what I paid for the service, if not more. I have enough to last several years. For me, it was very much worth it. Commodore Coatings is the brand.