PDA

View Full Version : Dealership games begin...

DCAbarth
03-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Hi fellow Abarth fans,

So, I put pre pre ordered my Abarth first weekend in Feb. Yesterday, (March 1) I had a dental appt that was nearby the Fiat Dealer I have been working with in Gaithersburg, MD, and stopped by to find out if they had any updates being 1 Mar, and so I could change a couple of things (like going back to the 16" stock wheels thanks to much insightful reading of this forum) and adding the power sunroof.

So all was great, my sales rep, who I really like, made the changes then brought them to the manager to input them in the computer. I mentioned after my original pre-order in Feb that I left feeling I had nothing to show for my $500 deposit, no swag, no receipt, nothing! So he said he would print the updated pre-order and make a copy. Here's the good part, I promise, after he printed the "invoice", he hand wrote a new line item, AMV $1,000! Of course not knowing what AMV is, I inquired, and he told me it was an Adjusted Market Value that the dealership is tacking onto all Abarth purchases! He proceeds to say that all of the dealerships in the area are doing it. He claimed it was added due to the high demand of this new car. I asked him if it was even legal! I guess dealerships can do whatever they want.

Of course I will be calling the other dealerships near me. I live in downtown DC and have one much closer to me than Gaithersburg, and heck, if the one in Fredericksburg, VA isn't charging this lame pure profit fee, it will be worth the time and distance to buy it down there, (and a much more fun ride back home for sure)!

My initial gut feeling was to bail on the deal, I don't need a new car at all, and I surely don't want to throw a 1000 bucks for the sake of bogus dealership line item!

Anybody in the DC area or around the country have this happen yet?

Cheers,
Ray

Dwaynek
03-02-2012, 10:51 AM
I am on vancouver island in western Canada my dealership is tacking on 2000 bucks in vacouver on the main land 3000! And I thought it si just us Canadians getting screwed!

desmomini
03-02-2012, 10:56 AM
South Carolina - MSRP + tax and tags + $599 doc fee. The doc fee is what it is, but comes regardless of the model, Pop to Abarth to Gucci.

Plus there are some awfully nice roads you could take on your ride back home.

sjmst
03-02-2012, 11:01 AM
I woudn't pay it. Period.

I'm almost postive I wouldn't. :crushed:

wachuko
03-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Tell them to go screw themselves...

Fields FIAT in Orlando is telling me -> MSRP + tax , tag, title + 389.00 (dealer fee)... and I am still looking for a discount. No sense on arguing until the car hits the showroom floor. And I have to say, Larry and Tom have been great. So I don't foresee any issues there.

It is just an additional car for us. We have no rush. If I think that I can get a better deal by waiting until the frenzy is over, I will do that. Plenty of projects in my garage to keep me busy while I wait.

FiatGusto
03-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Wow, as I read these posts it appears that the dealer rep who told you, "all of the dealers around here are doing that", may be telling you they are fixing prices.
Isn't that illegal??????
The worst thing any of us can do is to pay these fees and not walk/run to other studios.
Nobody should want this car so bad that they get rolled over by a dealer.
Just my opinion.

luckymoi
03-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Walk.

DCAbarth
03-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. My other half has even written on their Fiat of Gaithersburg Facebook page asking about the markup and they have taken his posts down... so to anyone looking at their Facebook page, only great things happen at that studio. Makes me wonder how much negative stuff is pulled of FB or other review sites about them or another studio for that matter. What to do...

And I just got a voicemail from the dealership saying they just got word that Abarth orders officially placed on March 7th!

sk8ace
03-02-2012, 01:18 PM
I have no problem waiting until these outrages dealer fees are gone. They are going to lose more money on lost sales than what they will make on these fees. The dealer with low/no fees will get my business. I'd rather spend that thousand on a nice road trip to bring the car home!

grapefish
03-02-2012, 01:31 PM
My dealer isn't engaging is such malfeasance, and said they'd also sold a few of the Gucci editions when the Vegas dealer wanted $3000 over sticker for them.

I'd flatly refuse to pay such "fees".

DCAbarth
03-02-2012, 01:38 PM
I've just called the two other dealerships in the DC area and only my dealer has added this fee, Fiat of Fredericksburg didn't even know what AMV stood for and Alexandria said they weren't... so now for the fun phone call to Gaithersburg Fiat... stay tuned.

wachuko
03-02-2012, 01:47 PM
I've just called the two other dealerships in the DC area and only my dealer has added this fee, Fiat of Fredericksburg didn't even know what AMV stood for and Alexandria said they weren't... so now for the fun phone call to Gaithersburg Fiat... stay tuned.

In my book a dealer gets one chance, that is why I am upfront with them when I go to buy a car... I don't waste their precious time and they don't waste mine...

In your case, going back? For what? So they are nice enough to take it back to JUST MSRP? Because they are doing you a favor by selling it at MSRP? :grief:

Sorry mate, these situations just get my blood boiling...

Best of luck on your purchase.

sk8ace
03-02-2012, 02:31 PM
I am going to bring wachuko with me when I go buy my car. He'll be my hired gun so I wont get pushed around. haha

VTEC Mini
03-02-2012, 02:32 PM
I heard it called once the "idiot tax". There is not a snow balls chance in hell I would pay mark up on any car. Unfortunately there are people who do and thats why this behaviour continues. I have delt with this situation many times in the past and just walked as the salesman tried to justify ripping off people. My dealer flat out told me "They where going to put a ridiculously high mark up on the first Abarth to discourage sales.".............. WTF?! REALLY?!?!?! WHY?!?! That is no lie.

There is always, always, always a dealer out their selling at MSRP or better.

VTEC Mini
03-02-2012, 02:35 PM
In my book a dealer gets one chance, that is why I am upfront with them when I go to buy a car... I don't waste their precious time and they don't waste mine...

In your case, going back? For what? So they are nice enough to take it back to JUST MSRP? Because they are doing you a favor by selling it at MSRP? :grief:

Sorry mate, these situations just get my blood boiling...

Best of luck on your purchase.

I am the same way. You have one shot and if any red flags pop up- your done. I always up tell them up front I know what I want, what I am looking for and never under any circumstance will I pay mark up. Any "Yeah but---" and I am walking out the door before they finish their sentence.

DCAbarth
03-02-2012, 02:36 PM
So the GM called me back and said it was a corporate decision that they wanted to try because they saw the AMV markups in California. Due to the Face book post that the administrator removed, dialogue was was had they have removed the AMV not just from my PO, but all Abarth pre-orders.

I tend to agree with you wachuko, why go back to that dealer, but I do like the sales team there. Regardless if the AMV guidance really came from corporate or if it was just a "test" to see how many people would bite and still buy the Abarth due its "high demand and popularity", they did retract their decision to add AMV. Reputations are difficult to maintain in the age of social media and forums such as this. 10+ years ago, would have been a totally different outcome no doubt.

Thanks for the great feedback all.

sjmst
03-02-2012, 02:37 PM

Tell Gaithersburg they can keep their car.

VTEC Mini
03-02-2012, 02:42 PM
So the GM called me back and said it was a corporate decision that they wanted to try because they saw the AMV markups in California. Due to the Face book post that the administrator removed, dialogue was was had they have removed the AMV not just from my PO, but all Abarth pre-orders.

I tend to agree with you wachuko, why go back to that dealer, but I do like the sales team there. Regardless if the AMV guidance really came from corporate or if it was just a "test" to see how many people would bite and still buy the Abarth due its "high demand and popularity", they did retract their decision to add AMV. Reputations are difficult to maintain in the age of social media and forums such as this. 10+ years ago, would have been a totally different outcome no doubt.

Thanks for the great feedback all.

That is another lie. "Corporate" did not do or say anything. If that was the case all dealerships would be doing it and he admitted the reason they where doing it was because other dealers in CA where doing it.

Forget this dealer and go somewhere else. They are crooked and will try to make up the loss in other area's I am sure like "Prep fee's", "doc fee's" and stuff like that.

PFVA63
03-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Hi,

I have to admit that I'm a bit put off by some of these replies here. One of the reasons that I bought a Fiat is that I liked their flat-rate one-price set up. MSRP is what the car sells for. However, I know a lot of people one these boards ended up posting that they'd never pay MSRP and insist on negotiating, especially when they felt that factors (such as excess available inventory) gave them an advantage.

Now, however, when factors such as higher than expected demand and limited inventory don't equate to an advantage to the buyer, there seems to be outrage that a dealer would dare to consider that "negotiating might be a two-way street".

This is why I had hoped that Fiat would maintain its one-price policy to all models.

In the end if anyone is unhappy with a dealer marking up a price on a model that is in limited quantities they can either try and negotiate the total price down and/or look for other dealers, just like with most other car brands. I have to admit its definitely not my preferred way of shopping for a car, but I do feel its the flip side that comes with so many buyers insisting that they won't do a one-price pay MSRP policy.

As such, I kind of find some of this "outrage" and questions about whether this practice is "illegal" etc a bit confusing. It seems to be implying, "anything in my favor is all perfectly fine, but anything not in my favor is wrong".

Hopefully in the end all will settle out OK, but time will tell.

Pat

PS. In the end what would be the difference between them marking up the price as an add-on or just jacking up the MSRP?

sjmst
03-02-2012, 02:57 PM
It is not illegal for the dealer to ask more than MSRP. If, however, other dealers are not doing this, why on Earth would you pay an extra 1,000 you don't have to?

Itgb
03-02-2012, 03:05 PM
That is another lie. "Corporate" did not do or say anything. If that was the case all dealerships would be doing it and he admitted the reason they where doing it was because other dealers in CA where doing it.

Forget this dealer and go somewhere else. They are crooked and will try to make up the loss in other area's I am sure like "Prep fee's", "doc fee's" and stuff like that.

+1 I would be very weary of completing the purchase at that dealer. They will try to sneak that $1k back into the price somehow or another. If it was me, I would go to a more honest dealer.

Sealy
03-02-2012, 03:06 PM
When I was first looking at Fiats, Gaithersburg was very aggressive. More phone calls and e-mails than I cared to deal with. I finally told them that I wasn't buying a Fiat just to get them to leave me alone. Head on over to Alexandria Fiat and ask for Chase. He'll talk to you and help you get into an Abarth. Tell him the guys with the Gucci sent you. Good luck!

SeaDawg
03-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Now, however, when factors such as higher than expected demand and limited inventory don't equate to an advantage to the buyer, there seems to be outrage that a dealer would dare to consider that "negotiating might be a two-way street".

This is why I had hoped that Fiat would maintain its one-price policy to all models.

As such, I kind of find some of this "outrage" and questions about whether this practice is "illegal" etc a bit confusing. It seems to be implying, "anything in my favor is all perfectly fine, but anything not in my favor is wrong".

PS. In the end what would be the difference between them marking up the price as an add-on or just jacking up the MSRP?

Come on Pat, you should know OUR posters are ALWAYS right and Studios/Dealers are ALWAYS wrong! :moody:

The practice of AMV, bump sticker, or whatever you want to call it is NOT illegal. I think it undermines the image that the manufacturer wants to project, but once a dealer takes possession of a vehicle they can sell it for whatever price they want as long as they display the Monroney Sticker (window sticker) with the MSRP and display the add on price so that the true total price is displayed. Of course the manufacturer can attempt to play hardball and restrict availability of inventory etc to twist the Studio/Dealer's arm to toe the party line.

The dealer legally can NOT modify the Monroney Sticker (window sticker) which IS the MSRP, they can only do the bump/AMV additional sticker.

Fix it again Tony
03-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Another reason not to buy an Abarth.

DCAbarth
03-02-2012, 04:00 PM
That's the thing, to me it was nearly a month later after I gave them $500 for my pre-pre-order (or whatever you want to call it) and not even a hint of any additional fees were mentioned. I totally get the FIAT pricing strategy and was totally fine without negotiating a better deal, and I didn't, I ordered it with the MSRP pricing on standard and optional equipment. But to suddenly write a AMV line item like it was a normal thing kind of torqued me the wrong way. AND to tell me that all the area dealers are or will be doing the same thing?! Did they really think I wasn't going to call and ask those other dealers myself?

Also, I don't think the GM was referring to FIAT Corporate, but the Chiswell dealership which the FIAT studio is under.

grapefish
03-02-2012, 04:03 PM
I used the term "malfeasance" as a (poor?) pun.

Markups aren't illegal, they may not even be "wrong" in any sense, depending on how you look at it. They're just completely unacceptable to me, and I'm glad my dealer agrees.

Turns out they'd rather sell me a car than make an extra grand or whatever.

DCAbarth
03-02-2012, 04:14 PM
FIAT of Gburg realized that after my reaction and maybe others who have pre-orders with them. The seem to have a pretty good reputation otherwise, and I think they realized that the AMV wasn't such a great idea after all.

PFVA63
03-02-2012, 04:53 PM
That's the thing, to me it was nearly a month later after I gave them $500 for my pre-pre-order (or whatever you want to call it) and not even a hint of any additional fees were mentioned. I totally get the FIAT pricing strategy and was totally fine without negotiating a better deal, and I didn't, I ordered it with the MSRP pricing on standard and optional equipment. But to suddenly write a AMV line item like it was a normal thing kind of torqued me the wrong way. AND to tell me that all the area dealers are or will be doing the same thing?! Did they really think I wasn't going to call and ask those other dealers myself?

Also, I don't think the GM was referring to FIAT Corporate, but the Chiswell dealership which the FIAT studio is under.

Hi,

I understand your concerns. I hope it didn't come across in my post that I was being negative to you or anything like that. My comments were just meant to be kind of a general response to some of the comments in this thread as well as some posts etc that people have been making over the months about refusing to pay MSRP and how they always haggle, etc.

I really like the concept of one-price, etc and I can understand that if you put down a deposit last month, and nothing was said about any sort of mark up I'd be very upset too. I'm glad that it appears that everything has worked out for you. :)

Pat

F500
03-02-2012, 05:03 PM
standard operating procedure for many dealers when a 'hot' new model is about to be released and they know they're in short supply. not saying its right, just that many dealers do it: Chevy, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, etc.

personally, I woudn't pay it. if you don't "need" a new car, then get your $500 back and go shop for a FIAT Studio that will sell it to you for no more than "Sticker". even if you have to drive a couple hundred miles, as you mentioned, it would be a great road trip in your new Abarth.

of course your other alternative is to wait 6 months or so. by then you may be able to pick up an 'orphan' (one that was ordered and the purchaser cancelled) and get in immediately rather than waiting.

best of luck to you! :)

DCAbarth
03-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks Pat,

I didn't take your post as negative at all. I put this thread out there to see if this has happened anywhere else in our forum land and to see if everyone viewed this the way I did, which appears to be the case :fat: I badly want this car and though maybe there'd be some saying, "if you don't pay the markup, someone else will, thanks!" but luckily that hasn't been the case.

But yes, so far all actions taken have made for a happy ending so far. I really do appreciate everyone's input who chimed in.

ggravant
03-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Before I put my $500.00 down, I specifically asked if there were going to be any dealer markups and he said there would only be the $500.00 dealer fee they charge for all of the Fiats sold. I have kept the email, so it will be interesting to see if that changes once I can actually order the car.

VTEC Mini
03-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Hi,

I have to admit that I'm a bit put off by some of these replies here. One of the reasons that I bought a Fiat is that I liked their flat-rate one-price set up. MSRP is what the car sells for. However, I know a lot of people one these boards ended up posting that they'd never pay MSRP and insist on negotiating, especially when they felt that factors (such as excess available inventory) gave them an advantage.

In the end if anyone is unhappy with a dealer marking up a price on a model that is in limited quantities they can either try and negotiate the total price down and/or look for other dealers, just like with most other car brands. I have to admit its definitely not my preferred way of shopping for a car, but I do feel its the flip side that comes with so many buyers insisting that they won't do a one-price pay MSRP policy.

Hopefully in the end all will settle out OK, but time will tell.

Pat

PS. In the end what would be the difference between them marking up the price as an add-on or just jacking up the MSRP?I never said anything about paying MSRP. In fact I think that MSRP is fair and I don't mind paying. You are right the dealer has every right to sell it at what ever he wants and like wise, I have every right to walk or not buy from them- thats my point. I refuse to pay mark up and their is always a dealer out there that will sell at MSRP. When I went to buy my MINI I waited a whole year before my order went through because it was the only dealer in all of L.A. that was at MSRP. In this day and age when you can shop on line and as easy as a click of a mouse for those dealers with out mark ups it is pretty stupid to have one and they are only hurting themselves.

As far as the high lighted part; Manufactures do research to determine the price of a car. Once they do they set the MSRP. Of coarse they would like to get more but they know what the market will support. Mark up is what the dealer does on their own above MSRP and has nothing to with the manufacture and I doubt the dealer puts any effort in for research.

FiatPhil
03-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Contractually speaking, once DCAbarth changed the options on the "deposited" car, the dealer had the right to change the contract price and ask for more consideration, or hold DCAbarth to the original contract.

Once bot parties agree to renegotiate the contract, it can be renegotiated by either or both parties. A lot of people don't "get" that.

Mike S
03-02-2012, 06:28 PM
I did this rant once before but it's time to repeat it.

When I had ordered my Prima there was an issue with dealer doc fees which are extreme in some cases. The discussion here to this point is about additional profit beyond even that!

Even the doc fee is extra fluff

Florida has a habit of charging a minimum of $500 - $1000 documentation fee all for extra profit. I didn't pay it on the P.E. because I chose (after the fact) to take delivery across the State at a dealer that chose not to charge the fee on P.E's. Thank you Fred Frey! My local dealer relented and I did not pay the $500.

I will probably be getting an Abarth but I'm going to wait until they arrive to order.

Here is a link to an article with a chart of the fees charged, by State. Select a nearby State with the right fees and take delivery there! http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/what-fees-should-you-pay.html

My solution will be to order my car in New Orleans which is only a days drive from me. The doc fee is $45 saving $455 to be used for air travel one way, a nights stay in New Orleans, a nice meal in New Orleans, a nights stay , gas money home and a few bucks left in my pocket.

It could last pay for a visit to New York (a 2 day drive) or back home to Chicago. Both have lower REGULATED doc fees.

As for added markup, screw-em, just wait to buy.

DCAbarth
03-02-2012, 07:53 PM
If there was a contract, I'd totally agree, however all I did was put $500 down as a pre-pre order, so that's a bad comparison, I'm still not bound to purchase an Abarth from them, even now

fredfrey
03-02-2012, 08:02 PM
This mark up was tried as well on the Prima's and I had to call several dealers to find one that was not tacking on anything extra over MSRP. I finally picked Sunset Fiat in Sarasota (a 2.5 hr drive away) as they were sticking to MSRP. I've not put down a deposit on the Abarth and I told them I am buying from them because of the proper treatment I received when I ordered my prima.

Dwaynek
03-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Unfortunately up here in Canada these extra charges happen more often then not in particular when the supply is limited. Either you can pay or walk!

SeaDawg
03-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Contractually speaking, once DCAbarth changed the options on the "deposited" car, the dealer had the right to change the contract price and ask for more consideration, or hold DCAbarth to the original contract.

Once bot parties agree to renegotiate the contract, it can be renegotiated by either or both parties. A lot of people don't "get" that.

BUT, whatever the technical name is they give the document you're describing, it is NOT a contract and is NOT considered binding.

Piccirillo
03-04-2012, 03:09 AM
Tell them to go screw themselves...

Fields FIAT in Orlando is telling me -> MSRP + tax , tag, title + 389.00 (dealer fee)... and I am still looking for a discount. No sense on arguing until the car hits the showroom floor. And I have to say, Larry and Tom have been great. So I don't foresee any issues there.

It is just an additional car for us. We have no rush. If I think that I can get a better deal by waiting until the frenzy is over, I will do that. Plenty of projects in my garage to keep me busy while I wait.

That's exactly my plan...I ll wait until this frenzy is over and then Ill go for mine!

scorpio
03-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the heads up. For some reason I thought Fiat Studios would be better about this sort of thing but apparently not. I think the best thing is to be patient. There will be plenty of Abarths to go around, right now they are just trying to capitalize on the additional advertising and momentum the car currently has. Happens to all first model year performance cars.

I will probably wait for a MY2013 Abarth if they continue to play these games throughout the year.

Fiat411
05-01-2012, 10:42 PM
I recommend you work with Fiat of Alexandria. Indika is Great!

DCAbarth
05-01-2012, 11:16 PM
You're catching up on some old threads! lol

I am with Alexandria now, mainly with "V" and Tex. Everyone there has been fantastic. A few things tipped me over the edge at Gaithersburg and after making a call to Alexandria and getting more info in 5 minutes than what I got in two months from Gaithersburg, I realized then I would have had my Abarth had I gone there from the start. But lessons learned, and I did like Irene at Gaithersburg. Nonetheless, I have a VON and unless FIAT stops production all together (in no way have I heard such a thing, so freak out people! :) ) My Abarth will be built in the coming allocation.

Fiat411
05-01-2012, 11:21 PM
You're catching up on some old threads! lol

I noticed all the Fiat411 post too. Thing is most of them are not from me.

DCAbarth
05-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Weird! Some hacking going on in the forum?

Fiat411
05-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Not sure. I'm going to change my password and logout.

Fiat411
05-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Weird! Some hacking going on in the forum?
Turns out it was my wife trying to mess with me because she thinks I spend too much time on this forum.

FiatGusto
05-01-2012, 11:45 PM
Uhhhhh. I am speechless!!!!!

DCAbarth
05-01-2012, 11:46 PM
That is too funny!! I was about to create a new thread letting everyone know to take the latest slew of comments by FIAT411 with a grain of salt due to a possible hacking... Well you were kinda hacked lol

I know the feeling though, I'm glued to the forum, although I'm guessing once I get my car, I'll be on a lot less :)

Fiat500USA
05-02-2012, 12:44 AM
Turns out it was my wife trying to mess with me because she thinks I spend too much time on this forum.

Cool, I was about to call and wake up my programmer! LOL

Fiat411
05-02-2012, 07:19 AM
Cool, I was about to call and wake up my programmer! LOL

Very sorry about all the post. My wife says she is sorry too.

Fiat500USA
05-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Very sorry about all the post. My wife says she is sorry too.

All's well that ends well :)

FiatPhil
05-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Contractually speaking, when you placed your $500 dollar deposit on the Abarth, you did so believing the price to be MSRP.
When the dealer tried to stick you for the extra $1000 mark-up....they changed the information that you based your decision on after they took your money. They can't arbitrarily change the implied contract on their own...it has to be agreed to by you.

I think this concept in law is called informed consent. They didn't inform you they would be charging extra above MSRP before they took your deposit, and you didn't consent to any additional mark-ups.

Any lawyers on this forum want to comment?

FiaTED
05-02-2012, 12:48 PM
I did this rant once before but it's time to repeat it.

When I had ordered my Prima there was an issue with dealer doc fees which are extreme in some cases. The discussion here to this point is about additional profit beyond even that!

Even the doc fee is extra fluff

Florida has a habit of charging a minimum of $500 - $1000 documentation fee all for extra profit. I didn't pay it on the P.E. because I chose (after the fact) to take delivery across the State at a dealer that chose not to charge the fee on P.E's. Thank you Fred Frey! My local dealer relented and I did not pay the $500.

I will probably be getting an Abarth but I'm going to wait until they arrive to order.

Here is a link to an article with a chart of the fees charged, by State. Select a nearby State with the right fees and take delivery there! http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/what-fees-should-you-pay.html

My solution will be to order my car in New Orleans which is only a days drive from me. The doc fee is $45 saving $455 to be used for air travel one way, a nights stay in New Orleans, a nice meal in New Orleans, a nights stay , gas money home and a few bucks left in my pocket.

It could last pay for a visit to New York (a 2 day drive) or back home to Chicago. Both have lower REGULATED doc fees.

As for added markup, screw-em, just wait to buy.

How do u handle the registration and sales tax issues when buying out of state?

FiaTED
05-02-2012, 12:57 PM
From a former Director of Fianance in the auto industry, A Purchase Contract is written on a specific form with all the appropriate boilerplate disclosures etc, needs to be signed and initialed in multiple places and it must include the VIN # and miles. The other documents mention are not legal or binding

DCAbarth
05-02-2012, 12:57 PM
In the MD/DC/VA area, the dealer charges the sales tax of the state/District that the vehicle will be registered in. Although I think now all three have the same sales tax, so it may not matter here anymore.

FiaTED
05-02-2012, 12:59 PM
In the MD/DC/VA area, the dealer charges the sales tax of the state/District that the vehicle will be registered in. Although I think now all three have the same sales tax, so it may not matter here anymore.

OK, but what about state registration issues?

EliRider
05-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Living in Portland, Oregon... this was my first purchase out of state (Idaho). The Studio handled everything...

$200 under MSRP
$299 for doc fees
$86 for Oregon State Title fees and filing
$0 Sales Tax (they filed Idaho Sales Tax Exemption form)

They provided me a 30 day Temp license to drive off the lot.
I'll see if the Plates show up but actually considering getting personal plates.

So far, I recommend the Fiat Studio in Boise...

Dennis Dillon FIAT
2495 S Orchard St
Boise, ID 83705
Scott Kawahara, Sales Contact

FiaTED
05-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Living in Portland, Oregon... this was my first purchase out of state (Idaho). The Studio handled everything...

$200 under MSRP
$299 for doc fees
$86 for Oregon State Title fees and filing
$0 Sales Tax (they filed Idaho Sales Tax Exemption form)

They provided me a 30 day Temp license to drive off the lot.
I'll see if the Plates show up but actually considering getting personal plates.

So far, I recommend the Fiat Studio in Boise...

Dennis Dillon FIAT
2495 S Orchard St
Boise, ID 83705
Scott Kawahara, Sales Contact

Are you going to have to pay OR sales tax?

EliRider
05-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Oregon does not have Sale Tax.
I assume if your state does... then you will have to pay...

Years ago, when I registered my car when living in Washington State (temp move from Oregon)... I payed the tax at the DMV.

Are you going to have to pay OR sales tax?

DCAbarth
05-02-2012, 01:23 PM
OK, but what about state registration issues?

The Studio takes care of the registration for which ever area you live (I only speak for the MD/DC/VA area). The registration fees and applicable taxes are on the purchase order and collected or financed with the total amount of the car. Then once the real tags and registration stickers arrive, the dealer will call and you pick them up.

Mike S
05-02-2012, 01:31 PM

The out of State dealer selling the car gives a Certificate of Origin instead of a title. Taxes are due in the State the car gets registered in.