PDA

View Full Version : House Arrest

ggravant
03-01-2012, 11:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjYxE2VD7VE&ism=3112CSHAFacebook2

VTEC Mini
03-01-2012, 12:01 PM
ARGH! you beat me to it! I love this commercial! It looks like Fiat has finally got it's act together for advertising! GOOD JOB FIAT!!!!!

sjmst
03-01-2012, 12:27 PM
argh! You beat me to it! I love this commercial! It looks like fiat has finally got it's act together for advertising! Good job fiat!!!!!

what he said!!!

wachuko
03-01-2012, 12:36 PM
HAhahahahahahah Very cool ad! :loyal:

500ways
03-01-2012, 12:53 PM
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Yesterday, 2/29/2012, the Wall Street Journal, this morning, 3/1/2012, the report that sales are up 69% and now this commercial - enough said!!!!!!!

FORZA FIAT!!!!!!!

unknown_eyes
03-01-2012, 01:19 PM
This commercial is fun! Fiat needs to keep that fun factor in its new ads. Althought I dont think its necessary to pay clebs to do the commercials. I did not like the J-lo commercials period. But I think the addition of "seduction" and "house arrest" are great.

I also think they should try and target the younger crowd with this vehicle. Not that I relish the thought of seeing "riced" 500's all over the streets, but I think this car could do well in that segment. There is a HUGE market for accessories and parts for imports because people do modify those cars. Fiat could definately see an even bigger increase in sales with this younger crowd.

While I know that not everyone is represented on this forum, I do feel that most here are older males, 40 and up. Many members, including myself, have already began to modify our cars. But it seems to me that the younger people do modify there cars more and are looking for something cool to work with. The 500 is definately that!

Fiat500USA
03-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Fiat500USA.com Has Just Posted the Following:

More... (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Fiat500USA/~3/hCm8Vf8DLV8/fiat-500-abarth-ad-staring-charlie.html)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-dVciXyZ_zAo/T0-pxDrOw2I/AAAAAAAAK_0/Nr04A6KQQSA/s640/Fiat500USA.com-Fiat_500_Abarth-Charlie_Sheen_Ad5.jpg

Fiat500USA
03-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Thanks for posting, but someone beat you to it!

http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?4904-House-Arrest

I merged the threads. That is a news feed that automatically gets posted to the "Fiat 500 USA Articles and Story Comments" sub-forum whenever a story gets published on Fiat500USA.com. By the way, that feed helps pay for this site, so I encourage folks to explore the stories there and click the links. It's an easy way to support the community while finding out more about the cars.

wachuko
03-01-2012, 02:20 PM
The commercial matches bad boy Charlie Sheen with the Fiat 500 Abarth. After driving the louder, angrier Fiat 500 Abarth, I'd say Charlie pales in comparison.

:)

FiatGusto
03-01-2012, 02:31 PM
I think the post stating that folks over 40 are modifying their cars is right on.
Guys and gals have always modified their cars. Don't laugh, but I clearly remember wanting to lift the back end of my
1952 red Ford convertible; that was in 1957. (my father had a fit, but I did it anyway.)
And there were many, Model A`s, dueces and 40 Fords with all kinds of neat stuff.
" Caveman owner to Caveman mechanic- I bet we could go down hill faster if those things on the end were round instead of square."

F500
03-01-2012, 04:11 PM
nuts, wacko, psycho, whatever.....ya can't help but LOVE Charlie Sheen. and the commercial? OMG......its freakin AWESOME! :D

FiatPhil
03-01-2012, 04:21 PM
I like the shot where the door opens and you see Charlie's electronic ankle monitor first....very subtle...yet humorous.

wachuko
03-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Well... I promised my wife that not one cent on modifications to ours... I promised...

I think the post stating that folks over 40 are modifying their cars is right on.
Guys and gals have always modified their cars. Don't laugh, but I clearly remember wanting to lift the back end of my
1952 red Ford convertible; that was in 1957. (my father had a fit, but I did it anyway.)
And there were many, Model A`s, dueces and 40 Fords with all kinds of neat stuff.
" Caveman owner to Caveman mechanic- I bet we could go down hill faster if those things on the end were round instead of square."

rtwolfe
03-01-2012, 06:17 PM
I assume you guys recognized the 'lady in red'? Is Catrinel Menghia from the seduction ad. I like the idea of her being part of the Abarth ad campaign.

Ciao

VTEC Mini
03-01-2012, 06:28 PM
I assume you guys recognized the 'lady in red'? Is Caterina from the seduction ad. I like the idea of her being part of the Abarth ad campaign.

Ciao

Ah- Yeah!. How could you not?:friendly_wink:

FiatGusto
03-01-2012, 06:33 PM
You mean replace JLo with her????? OMG!

wachuko
03-01-2012, 07:21 PM
I assume you guys recognized the 'lady in red'? Is Caterina from the seduction ad. I like the idea of her being part of the Abarth ad campaign.

Ciao

Are you saying there were more people in the ad? Lol

FiatGusto
03-01-2012, 07:31 PM
With that post, I would love to know how the sidewalk stroller felt doing the Seduction spot with her.......
Wow, I guess somebody had to do it.
Seriously, anybody know anything about him. I think his expressions were perfect. The only difference if it had been me is that the cup would have been shaking so bad the foam would not just be on her aaaaa front, but all over both of us.

VTEC Mini
03-01-2012, 07:40 PM
With that post, I would love to know how the sidewalk stroller felt doing the Seduction spot with her.......
Wow, I guess somebody had to do it.
Seriously, anybody know anything about him. I think his expressions were perfect. The only difference if it had been me is that the cup would have been shaking so bad the foam would not just be on her aaaaa front, but all over both of us.

I would be so wound up tight you wouldn't be able to drive a sewing needle up my rear end using a 30 pound sledge hammer!

GileraWarren
03-01-2012, 11:33 PM
ARGH! you beat me to it! I love this commercial! It looks like Fiat has finally got it's act together for advertising! GOOD JOB FIAT!!!!!

I really don't want to sound negative but yet another Abarth commercial without actually being able to get or order a Abarth is not what I call having your act together. I am getting VERY impatient.

Felnus
03-01-2012, 11:49 PM
I find it annoying that the Tire Pressure Monitoring System warning light is on when the gauges are being shown 12 or 13 seconds into the commercial. Oops.

ggravant
03-01-2012, 11:53 PM
I really don't want to sound negative but yet another Abarth commercial without actually being able to get or order a Abarth is not what I call having your act together. I am getting VERY impatient.It is a bit frustrating, but the time period has not been that long really - they only formally announced it in November 2011. It is not as bad as the Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S twins (which are also sports cars that have a similar base price). Rumors started floating around in 2007 and they finally announced it in November 2011 as well. And ... like the Abarth, you still can not order it (they had a drawing to see who would be the first on the list to order one). Plus - Fiat still has to work on its name recognition in the US - unlike Subaru and Scion.

Giallo Edizione
03-02-2012, 11:23 AM
I find it annoying that the Tire Pressure Monitoring System warning light is on when the gauges are being shown 12 or 13 seconds into the commercial. Oops.

Nice catch. You noticed that the ad was shot in "back to the future" mode: March 5....? Or they went overboard fixing the slow clock.

VTEC Mini
03-02-2012, 01:31 PM
I really don't want to sound negative but yet another Abarth commercial without actually being able to get or order a Abarth is not what I call having your act together. I am getting VERY impatient.

It is about building hype and getting people excited, talking about this car and searching it out. It is a "hook". It is classic, A1 advertising strategy. Another brand used this tactic and even did more of it than what Fiat was doing and are now very successful and had the largest sales numbers out of the gate than any other car manufacture- that was MINI. It's even working on you because of how you described your impatience. You want it and it's burning you up- it makes it more desirable for you and obsessive.

So it works.

IMO, they should have done this before Fiats launch at all. Fiat is doing it right this time.

Anybody notice that since the Abarth Seduction video came out during the Superbowl sales have jumped 69%? Coincidence? Maybe, and time will tell.

PFVA63
03-02-2012, 03:24 PM
...Anybody notice that since the Abarth Seduction video came out during the Superbowl sales have jumped 69%? Coincidence? Maybe, and time will tell.

Hi,

Sorry, but that seems like its probably a bit of a serious stretch there. According to several articles a lit of the increase in auto sales last month were for more efficient cars (which the Fiats happen to be). I'd be hard pressed to see how the increase in sales of small, efficient cars, not even hinted at in the commercial, can be attributed to that commercial.

Pat

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2012/03/compact_car_sales_surge_in_feb.html
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-autos-sales-20120302,0,3512.story

VTEC Mini
03-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Hi,

Sorry, but that seems like its probably a bit of a serious stretch there. According to several articles a lit of the increase in auto sales last month were for more efficient cars (which the Fiats happen to be). I'd be hard pressed to see how the increase in sales of small, efficient cars, not even hinted at in the commercial, can be attributed to that commercial.

Pat

http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2012/03/compact_car_sales_surge_in_feb.html

I believe that fuel prices are a factor too but as the article you posted pointed out other manufacture have stronger sales than Fiat and there is no mention of Fiat anywhere. Fiats EPA number is good but really is just average for small/ cars. Gas prices haven't started to climb really until last couple of weeks anyway. Fait has been struggling since it launched and then in one month it jumped dramatically. Yes I believe gas prices are a factor but I also think the good advertising was bigger factor especially if you count all the competition out there against the Fiat that are the same if not better fuel economy and practicality.

Fiat500USA
03-03-2012, 12:38 AM
Hi,

Pat

Fiat's and my site's traffic both spiked hundreds of percent because of the ad, so there is something to this. Other things come into play, too. But the ad has contributed to the brand's awareness.

PFVA63
03-03-2012, 04:19 AM
Hi,

I'm not surprised that there may have been a spike in traffic to Fiat related sites after the commercial 1st aired, but I do have serious doubts that the commercial for the Abarth model really equated to much of the increase in sales of the Pop, Sport, Lounge, Cabrio(s), Gucci Edition(s), or Breast Cancer Awareness models.

With regards to the size of the increase in sales from month to month, here is a plot showing the numbers to date. As can be seen, there was a similar (~68.5%) increase in sales last July.

Regards

Pat

buzzny
03-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Fiat's and my site's traffic both spiked hundreds of percent because of the ad, so there is something to this. Other things come into play, too. But the ad has contributed to the brand's awareness.

Get ready, It's going to get real busy around here.......Kinda reminds me of an TV ad a few years ago about some company was watching their online site hits and then all of a sudden it goes bananas. I think it was maybe FedEx, UPS or USPS. Anyway after all of the Vegas reviews (so far all look ++) It might just boost sales for all 500's.

Felnus
03-03-2012, 10:40 AM
The Abarth is definitely a halo car. It will increase the sales of all Fiat 500 models. Not everyone can afford an Abarth but they might leave a Studio with a Pop or Sport.

PFVA63
03-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Hi,

With regards to whether showing the "Seduction" ad during the Super Bowl may have had any real impact on Fiat's February numbers, here's something to consider.

As far as I can tell Mini didn't have a Super Bowl commercial this year, but their sales were also up very much in February as compared to January as well.

Specifically from the data that I've seen it appears that the sales of the Hardtop increased by 843 units or about 53% and sales of the convertible rose by 237 units or 188%. Together this equates to an increase in sales of 1080 units or about 63%. If you include the Clubman into the mix it appears that this is an additional 313 units or 143% increase for the Clubman or an increase of about 72.2% for all three models.

As such, although I'm sure that in some ways the Abarth will be a Halo car for the whole line, I still have real serious doubts that the showing of the "Seduction" ad during the Super Bowl really had that much of any real impact on the February sales for the rest of the line at all. :(

Regards

Pat

VTEC Mini
03-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Hi,

I'm not surprised that there may have been a spike in traffic to Fiat related sites after the commercial 1st aired, but I do have serious doubts that the commercial for the Abarth model really equated to much of the increase in sales of the Pop, Sport, Lounge, Cabrio(s), Gucci Edition(s), or Breast Cancer Awareness models.

With regards to the size of the increase in sales from month to month, here is a plot showing the numbers to date. As can be seen, there was a similar (~68.5%) increase in sales last July.

Regards

PatHhhhhmmm thats when the J- Lo ads came out...

Hi,

With regards to whether showing the "Seduction" ad during the Super Bowl may have had any real impact on Fiat's February numbers, here's something to consider.

As far as I can tell Mini didn't have a Super Bowl commercial this year, but their sales were also up very much in February as compared to January as well.

Specifically from the data that I've seen it appears that the sales of the Hardtop increased by 843 units or about 53% and sales of the convertible rose by 237 units or 188%. Together this equates to an increase in sales of 1080 units or about 63%. If you include the Clubman into the mix it appears that this is an additional 313 units or 143% increase for the Clubman or an increase of about 72.2% for all three models.

As such, although I'm sure that in some ways the Abarth will be a Halo car for the whole line, I still have real serious doubts that the showing of the "Seduction" ad during the Super Bowl really had that much of any real impact on the February sales for the rest of the line at all. :(

Regards

PatYou forget MINI has been around for ten years now and have been established and are more well known. They also don't have to over come a bad reputation. Considering it took all of their models to beat out Fiat, which is basically one, you can't just blame it on luck. As indicated by Chris you don't go zero to hero in a month time just because of gas prices. You are certainly are welcome to your opinion but I respectfully disagree and the numbers speak for themselves.

PFVA63
03-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Hhhhhmmm thats when the J- Lo ads came out...

You forget MINI has been around for ten years now and have been established and are more well known. They also don't have to over come a bad reputation. Considering it took all of their models to beat out Fiat, which is basically one, you can't just blame it on luck. As indicated by Chris you don't go zero to hero in a month time just because of gas prices. You are certainly are welcome to your opinion but I respectfully disagree and the numbers speak for themselves.

Hi,

Actually I didn't include all the Mini models. I specifically left out the Coupe, Roadster, and Countryman, as these aren't models that Fiat has something comparable to. I initially focused on the, Hardtop and convertible as these are directly relate-able to Fiat's hardtop and Cabrio models. I also additionally looked into the impacts of adding the Clubman as although its maybe not directly relatable to a specific 500 model, Fiat appears to have some models (such as the Gucci Edition and the "Breast Cancer Awareness' model that Mini's line up may not have a direct equivalent for either.

I definitely do not believe that the increase in sales from January to February was due to "luck" but I also do not see much anything to support a belief that either (a) showing the "Seduction" ad (for a model that is not yet on sale) just once during the Super Bowl (@ a reported cost of $7 million dollars for the slot), nor (b) continuing to show a shortened version of the"Seduction" Ad for the Abarth for the rest of the month can be tied to the 69% increase in sales for the models that are on sale right now.

To me its very clear from the information on the internet that many, many other cars and car companies also had very large increases in sales from January to February this year and I suspect that recent spikes in gas prices (~8%) [ http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/29/markets/gas_prices/index.htm ] probably had a lot more to do with it than anything else.

To me, I really suspect that had Fiat not run any Super Bowl commercial and had run any other commercial (other than the shortened "Seduction" ad) the rest of the month I'm not seeing anything that suggest sales wouldn't have been jut as good, and/or perhaps even better - since these other ads could have actually touted the benefits of some of the models actually on sale at this time. But, they would have saved the $7 million that maybe could have been put to better use later :( .

Regards

Pat

PFVA63
03-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Hhhhhmmm thats when the J- Lo ads came out...

Hi,

Actually I think that the J-Lo ads came out in September, if I am recalling correctly.

Regards

Pat

geeded
03-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Hi,

Regards

Pat

"Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves..."

Cheers!

Randy Robert Mosele
03-03-2012, 07:09 PM
"Can't you say something hopeful and righteous for a change?"

PFVA63
03-03-2012, 07:31 PM
"Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves..."

Cheers!

Hi,

Sorry I didn't really mean to be a downer. :apologetic: I really like my Pop, and I really want to see the company succeed. Is just that I kind of felt it important to note that not everyone is buying into the belief that spending a whole lot of money on showing an Abarth commercial during the Super Bowl was a master stroke nor that its likely responsible for the increases in Fiat's February sales of current models.

I know its water under the bridge now, but it just seems to me that the money for the Super Bowl ad could have been spent in so many better ways. :(

Pat

PS. I'll try to be more positive now :)

VTEC Mini
03-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Hi,

Actually I didn't include all the Mini models. I specifically left out the Coupe, Roadster, and Countryman, as these aren't models that Fiat has something comparable to. I initially focused on the, Hardtop and convertible as these are directly relate-able to Fiat's hardtop and Cabrio models. I also additionally looked into the impacts of adding the Clubman as although its maybe not directly relatable to a specific 500 model, Fiat appears to have some models (such as the Gucci Edition and the "Breast Cancer Awareness' model that Mini's line up may not have a direct equivalent for either.

I definitely do not believe that the increase in sales from January to February was due to "luck" but I also do not see much anything to support a belief that either (a) showing the "Seduction" ad (for a model that is not yet on sale) just once during the Super Bowl (@ a reported cost of $7 million dollars for the slot), nor (b) continuing to show a shortened version of the"Seduction" Ad for the Abarth for the rest of the month can be tied to the 69% increase in sales for the models that are on sale right now.

To me its very clear from the information on the internet that many, many other cars and car companies also had very large increases in sales from January to February this year and I suspect that recent spikes in gas prices (~8%) [ http://money.cnn.com/2012/02/29/markets/gas_prices/index.htm ] probably had a lot more to do with it than anything else.

To me, I really suspect that had Fiat not run any Super Bowl commercial and had run any other commercial (other than the shortened "Seduction" ad) the rest of the month I'm not seeing anything that suggest sales wouldn't have been jut as good, and/or perhaps even better - since these other ads could have actually touted the benefits of some of the models actually on sale at this time. But, they would have saved the $7 million that maybe could have been put to better use later :( .

Regards

Pat

Hi,

Sorry I didn't really mean to be a downer. :apologetic: I really like my Pop, and I really want to see the company succeed. Is just that I kind of felt it important to note that not everyone is buying into the belief that spending a whole lot of money on showing an Abarth commercial during the Super Bowl was a master stroke nor that its likely responsible for the increases in Fiat's February sales of current models.

I know its water under the bridge now, but it just seems to me that the money for the Super Bowl ad could have been spent in so many better ways. :(

Pat

PS. I'll try to be more positive now :)One last time;
You keep saying over and over "spent other ways" HOW?! Fiat sales where flat lined prior to the ad and then skyrocketed afterward. Hits on FiatUSA and the factory web site where so so and after the ad they skyrocketed. THOSE ARE THE FACTS. To have that much effect all most overnight is money well spent no matter what other car manufacturers did or didn't do as far as sales and is irrelevant. We are talking about Fiat here. Internet traffic increased 138% and sales increased 69%- what more do you want?

SeaDawg
03-03-2012, 08:17 PM
One last time;
You keep saying over and over "spent other ways" HOW?! Fiat sales where flat lined prior to the ad and then skyrocketed afterward. Hits on FiatUSA and the factory web site where so so and after the ad they skyrocketed. THOSE ARE THE FACTS. To have that much effect all most overnight is money well spent no matter what other car manufacturers did or didn't do as far as sales and is irrelevant. We are talking about Fiat here. Internet traffic increased 138% and sales increased 69%- what more do you want?

You keep forgetting Pat is an Engineer. You could almost tell that from just reading his/her posts....who owned a Plymouth Belvidere?:onthego:

buzzny
03-03-2012, 09:39 PM
The Abarth is definitely a halo car. It will increase the sales of all Fiat 500 models. Not everyone can afford an Abarth but they might leave a Studio with a Pop or Sport.
Exactly what I am saying!
Go to buy a real nice espresso machine because they had some from a Gaggia or Pasquini or something like that but realize they can only afford a Keurig. They will still be satisfied with their coffee and it won't be from just a Target $15 drip coffee maker.
Nice well built car (OK, most of them) even from the Pop to the Abarth. IMO BTW-just turned 5K on the odometer on mine with 0 complaints.

PFVA63
03-04-2012, 03:59 AM
One last time;

Hi,

I've posted a response about other ways the money could be spent on another board but I can repeat it here if needed.

The biggest thing would have simply to not have done a Super bowl Ad at all and save the $7 million from that to instead run a broader mix of commercials now as well as saving some of the money for ads later in the year. Beyond that too though would be for them to spend some of that money on other things that may have a real good chance of really bringing bodies in the door, such as rebates on new sales, freebies to people for coming in for test drives, or maybe even give-aways.

For exampl, just doing some quick calcs, if there are to be something like a total of 200 Studios or so open by the end of this year, then @ a cost of about $22,700 per car you could afford to give away one Abarth per Studio for about $4.5 million or so, and still have over $2 million for advertising this give away in lower cost venues than the Super Bowl.

Anyway, in comparing Fiat to the Mini right now, both companies kind of have similar sized cars and somewhat similar sales volumes, then if one company spends $7 million for a Super Bowl ad for a model not out yet but the other doesn't and yet they both have similar increases in sales of models that are currently on sale then it kind of appears to me that its hard to see that the increase for one company would be attributable to doing an Ad but the the increase for the other company being attributable to other factors.

And yes, to put it into engineering terms, if regardless of whatever "X" is you get the same (or similar) "Y" values then "Y" would seem to be pretty muchly probably not a function of "X", or simply put "Y" is independent of "X".

Regards

Pat

PS. With regards to "sales being flatlined" I'm not sure what this is meant to suggest. Here is a plot of Fiat 500 sales in the US over the last year showing that monthly sales have fluctuated over the months so I'm kind of stuggling to understand what "flat lined' means.

Chris
03-04-2012, 08:58 AM
Pat-

$2 million is not enough to gain any substantial impressions in a national ad campaign. I get your point but you can -barely- get any reach (make enough gross impressions) with that. Especially, as you suggest, trying to do a "broad range" of other advertizing.

Here's an excerpt from a job description that outlines the regional marketing budget FOR JUST NORTHERN OHIO:

"Develop and manage Northern Ohio Chrysler Jeep Dodge Dealer Advertising Associationís monthly, quarterly, and annual advertising budgets averaging $6 million for Dodge, $4.5 million for Chrysler, and $3 million for Jeep a year."

That's regional money. The national dollars are ON TOP of that.

$7 million was a fly-spec to spend. Do any of you know what Chrysler-FIAT's total ad budget was for last year?

$2.9 BILLION

If you are upset with them for not doing marketing-based incentives the way you want... it has nought to do with money, simply choices. (And yes- those choices include how much they spend on Chrysler, on FIAT on Dodge etc).

For reference:

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/03/chrysler-group-to-boost-ad-budget-by-70.html

Chris
03-04-2012, 09:01 AM
But back on topic...

I thought the Sheen add was... meh. But I'm not a fan of Sheen's and don't care to see the loser making more money tied to something I love.
But the ad works apparently.

I was parked in a lot yesterday and three people came up to ask me if it was an Abarth and "had I seen the great new commercials" (with Sheen and that "Italian hottie")

:peach:

VTEC Mini
03-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Pat-

$2 million is not enough to gain any substantial impressions in a national ad campaign. I get your point but you can -barely- get any reach (make enough gross impressions) with that. Especially, as you suggest, trying to do a "broad range" of other advertizing.

Here's an excerpt from a job description that outlines the regional marketing budget FOR JUST NORTHERN OHIO:

"Develop and manage Northern Ohio Chrysler Jeep Dodge Dealer Advertising Association’s monthly, quarterly, and annual advertising budgets averaging $6 million for Dodge, $4.5 million for Chrysler, and $3 million for Jeep a year."

$7 million was a fly-spec to spend. Do any of you know what Chrysler-FIAT's total ad budget was for last year?

$2.9 BILLION

If you are upset with them for not doing marketing-based incentives the way you want... it has nought to do with money, simply choices. (And yes- those choices include how much they spend on Chrysler, on FIAT on Dodge etc).

For reference:

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/03/chrysler-group-to-boost-ad-budget-by-70.htmlDon't bother. He is right and everyone else is wrong despite what all the numbers say or those who run Fiat sites including FiatUSA. Obviously the soul reason for Fiats jump in one month was gas prices and it was a total waste of money.:dejection::rolleyes:.

Prima 109
03-04-2012, 01:41 PM
I would be so wound up tight you wouldn't be able to drive a sewing needle up my rear end using a 30 pound sledge hammer!
UM, TMI, is all I'm sayin.

Chris
03-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Don't bother. He is right and everyone else is wrong despite what all the numbers say or those who run Fiat sites including FiatUSA. Obviously the soul reason for Fiats jump in one month was gas prices and it was a total waste of money.:dejection::rolleyes:.

Let's all play nice.

PFVA63
03-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Pat-

"Develop and manage Northern Ohio Chrysler Jeep Dodge Dealer Advertising Associationís monthly, quarterly, and annual advertising budgets averaging $6 million for Dodge, $4.5 million for Chrysler, and $3 million for Jeep a year."

$2.9 BILLION

For reference:

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/03/chrysler-group-to-boost-ad-budget-by-70.html

Hi,

Thanks for the additional information, but I have to say that I think that it really helps make my point a bit. If a regional budget "for an entire year" is $3 to $6 million, then spending $7 million for a single 60 second spot really seems like a bad idea. Based on the numbers you posted that single 60 second spot for a single model not on sale yet could have paid for the entire yearly advertising budget for an entire car line for maybe up to two regions in the country. To me that really says something.

As such, if Fiat has now spent $7 million for this single 60 spot to be shown one time for a model not yet out, does that mean that the budgets for the rest of the year are now going to be cut to balance the books?

As far as how the money could have been spent otherwise, I only through those out there, because VTEC Mini asked for some suggestions. I have no particular preference.

I also do not think that "I am right" "everyone else is wrong".

I do however think that its really hard for me to buy into a belief that either;

(a) Fiat ran an ad for the Abarth once during the Super Bowl and Fiat's sales for all there other models were up for February therefor this increase must be due to that Abarth Ad, or

(b) Fiat ran the Super Bowl Abarth ad, and now are also running a shortened version of it, and eventhough it is not on sale yet, sales of other models that are currently available are up therefor it most be because of a combination of the Abarth Super Bowl ad and the reshowing of the shortened Abarth ad afterwards.

To me, because other automakers sales are also up, including Mini's, a car maker with a roughly similar sized product and similar sized monthly sales (but also a company that did not appear to have done a Super Bowl ad this year), then its really hard for me to draw a conclusion that the Abarth Super Bowl ad (and/or the reshowing of a shortened version afterwards) was responsible for the increase. As I noted before if regardless of "X" two companies experience the same result "Y" then its hard to see how you could draw he conclusion that "X" is responsible for "Y" for one of the companies.

As far as hits on the internet being up by a certain percent, I think in one of my posts I tried to allude to its hard to draw any thing from that without knowing what the percentage was based on.

138% of 100 is 138. 138% of 1000 is 1380. 138% of 10,000 is 13,800. Just for the sake of discussion is we are talking about an extra 38 hits over a base of 100 is that really as dramatic as an increase of an extra 76 hits over a base of 500. Sure 138 is 138% of 100 while 576 is only about 115% of 500, but that 76 additional hits is actually twice the 38 additional hits.

(And, I guess I should also through this out there. If hits on the internet translated directly into increased sales then things like the movie "Snakes on a Plane" probably would have been a box office record setter, but it wasn't. Sometimes internet buzz is just that - buzz, and nothing more. It doesn't mean that people are going to run out and buy or spend their money on anything, it just means that something may have caught their attention and the clicked on something, because in the end clicking on something on the internet "just to find a little more info on something" usually doesn't commit you to doing anything (unless you get drawn into a scam website or something).)

To me, in the end, looking at everything all together I can't draw the conclusion (nor see that the info available supports the conclusion) that either running the Abarth commercial during the Super Bowl alone, nor running the Super Bowl commercial along with a shortened version of it in the weeks afterwards can really be seen as having affected Fiat's monthly sales in any appreciable way.

As far as February being a record setting month, yes that appears to be true (by about 4%) and the sales volume is back just above the levels that they were last summer, and the percentage increase is also on the order of what it was at the end of spring/start of summer of last year.

That all said, I too would like to see this thread get back to its original topic, and I apologize for getting it off track. If anyone is interested in further discussing non "House Arrest" related issues though, including any aspects of February Fiat sales, as above, I'd be happy to continue this discussion in a more appropriate thread.

Respects

Pat

VTEC Mini
03-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Let's all play nice.

I am. I'm trying to stop a dead end argument and get back on topic.

Chris
03-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the additional information, but I have to say that I think that it really helps make my point a bit. If a regional budget "for an entire year" is $3 to $6 million, then spending $7 million for a single 60 second spot really seems like a bad idea. Based on the numbers you posted that single 60 second spot for a single model not on sale yet could have paid for the entire yearly advertising budget for an entire car line for maybe up to two regions in the country. To me that really says something.

As such, if Fiat has now spent $7 million for this single 60 spot to be shown one time for a model not yet out, does that mean that the budgets for the rest of the year are now going to be cut to balance the books?

Pat

They're different budgets (a dealer can chime in here because it varies with the manufacturer) - regional budgets come from the dealers, national from national.

What you are missing is gross impressions and cost per 1000.

$7,000,000 to reach the tens of millions of super bowl viewers is VERY cheap on a cost per 1000. $200,000 to reach a few tens of thousands of viewers on a local ad is much more expensive.

Local dealers WANT national to spend that big money because it helps their cause and isn't out of their pockets.

Ad effect is cumulative. You need to make as many impressions as possible to get a consumer to act. Typically a consumer must see/hear an ad or brand about seven times before it begins to stick. The super bowl ads help that a cheap cost per.

And don't forget all the FREE advertizing that they then get in the days AFTER the super bowl. FIAT is not paying Chris here for all the posts pinning the Youtube videos and talking about them.

We're in March and we're STILL talking about that ad. WIN. BIG WIN for FIAT. That cost per 1000 is getting cheaper by the minute.

Giving away one car or spending a couple hundred grand in local print ads in Cleveland will not come close to creating that kind of reach.

And I am certain FIAT's focus groups have documented why that super bowl ad worked... and I'm certain it helped them decide that the Sheen ad was worth the money.

Felnus
03-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Besides which, the quickest way to cheapen your high value product in the eyes of a consumer is to give it away. Why should I pay for something you just gave away for free? If I don't buy it and wait long enough, maybe the Studio will give me one too.

PFVA63
03-04-2012, 09:07 PM
I too feel that this thread should probably get back on its initial topic and if anyone wants to discuss other stuff (like advertising in general) then maybe that discussion should be moved to another thread. But since you brought up some issues, here are some responses.

They're different budgets (a dealer can chime in here because it varies with the manufacturer) - regional budgets come from the dealers, national from national...

Yes I kind of suspected that. But in terms of money we are still talking about spending for a single 60 second ad what would normally be spent for the regional advertising budget for a complete car line for at least two (or more) regions in the country for an entire year. As such, that really comes across as a whole lot of money for a single 60 second spot.

...What you are missing is gross impressions and cost per 1000.

$7,000,000 to reach the tens of millions of super bowl viewers is VERY cheap on a cost per 1000. $200,000 to reach a few tens of thousands of viewers on a local ad is much more expensive. ...

I see what you are saying here, but a question that should also probably be asked is "How many of those Super bowl viewers are likely to be looking towards buying a new car as opposed to how many of those people looking through the car ads in the newspaper are likely to be looking for a new car?"

To me I suspect that even if a Super Bowl ad may reach more eyes, for alot of those viewing its probably falling on deaf ears (eyes?) as far as whether they are actually likely buyers anytime soon.

...Local dealers WANT national to spend that big money because it helps their cause and isn't out of their pockets. ...

Yeah I kind of understand that too, but spending at the national level is still spending money that has to come from somewhere. Does the spending of this money here (and other such expenses) mean that either that this money won't be available for other things or maybe does it perhaps mean that they'll have to make more money off each car to cover additional expenses, etc.

Ad effect is cumulative. You need to make as many impressions as possible to get a consumer to act. Typically a consumer must see/hear an ad or brand about seven times before it begins to stick. The super bowl ads help that a cheap cost per. ...

Yes, I understand that the Super Bowl ad helped ensure that a lot of people saw the ad "once", but it is for a model that is not available yet and I can now actually see that commercial "several times" a night at something that I suspect was a far lower cost per slot than the $7 million spent for the single showing during the Super Bowl. If I am seeing an ad at least a couple times a night then I suspect that Fiat is likely showing it order of magnitude more than that (with all the different channels out there). As such, I suspect that each of these slots are likely far, far less than $7 million per shot for them.

To me then its hard to see how spending $7 million for a single 60 second shot for a model not on sale yet makes sense for the sales of models currently on sale even if you assume that the Abarth is more of a general overall Fiat ad, if it takes at something like seven times viewing the commercial to stick, as you suggested above. To be honest, after just seeing this particular commercial just a few times (especially in its shortened form) its actually kind of begun to loose its interest to me.

I wonder perhaps if Fiat hadn't spent $7 million for that one 60 second spot could they instead have been able to air the commercial for the rest of the month a couple times in its fuller form, which (at least to me) is a version I like more, as it seems to have a better focus on the car to me than the shorter version seems to.

...We're in March and we're STILL talking about that ad. WIN. BIG WIN for FIAT. That cost per 1000 is getting cheaper by the minute. ...

To me, not really. To be honest I really only see a couple people here actually talking about the commercial right now here (and I don't see much of a discussion about it elsewhere on the internet), and since I already have a relatively new Pop I'm not likely to run out and buy a new car right now. So to be honest I'm not really seeing a big win here from running a single 60 second ad spot for a model that was not on sale at the time is really that big of a win at all.

Giving away one car or spending a couple hundred grand in local print ads in Cleveland will not come close to creating that kind of reach.

Hi, one of my general suggestions wasn't to give away just one car, but rather one car per Studio (for a total of about 200 or so across the country). If the main way of entering such a competition is to go to a Studio to enter, then that would seem to me to be likely to bring bodies into the Studios than just running a single commercial once.

Beyond that though, isn't Fiat currently planning to give away three Abarths as part of their "Spot the Scorpion" campaign? My suspicion is that they are doing this giveaway as a marketing tool, so I'm not sure how other give aways wouldn't also work.

As I've said before, I really like my Fiat and I really want to see Fiat succeed, but I can't help but think that some may be trying to see stuff that may not be there.

Yes, internet "buzz" and "hits" on websites may have increased from showing the "Seduction' ad during the Super Bowl. But I don't know of anything that can be used to relate those "hits" to sales, especially for sales of models not in the Ad.

In addition to that specifically, how many of those 'hits' were due to interest in the car and how many of them were along the lines of "wow look at this really sexy actress"? And, along those lines how many of those "hits" were from people either actually actively looking for a new car or were from people likely to soon buy a new car, as opposed to people who were not likely to be buying a new car anytime soon.

Because of stuff like this I find it really hard to jump to a conclusion that increased internet 'buzz' or "hits" on websites can be directly related to an increase in sales, especially if there are also other factors that may be affecting sales and/or evidence that other companies who didn't have a Super Bowl commercial that generated alot of internet "buzz" or "hits" also experienced a similar big increase in sales.

Regards

Pat

geeded
03-04-2012, 11:43 PM
I too feel that this thread should probably get back on its initial topic and if anyone wants to discuss other stuff (like advertising in general) then maybe that discussion should be moved to another thread. But since you brought up some issues, here are some responses.

Yes I kind of suspected that. But in terms of money we are still talking about spending for a single 60 second ad what would normally be spent for the regional advertising budget for a complete car line for at least two (or more) regions in the country for an entire year. As such, that really comes across as a whole lot of money for a single 60 second spot.

I see what you are saying here, but a question that should also probably be asked is "How many of those Super bowl viewers are likely to be looking towards buying a new car as opposed to how many of those people looking through the car ads in the newspaper are likely to be looking for a new car?"

To me I suspect that even if a Super Bowl ad may reach more eyes, for alot of those viewing its probably falling on deaf ears (eyes?) as far as whether they are actually likely buyers anytime soon.

Yeah I kind of understand that too, but spending at the national level is still spending money that has to come from somewhere. Does the spending of this money here (and other such expenses) mean that either that this money won't be available for other things or maybe does it perhaps mean that they'll have to make more money off each car to cover additional expenses, etc.

Yes, I understand that the Super Bowl ad helped ensure that a lot of people saw the ad "once", but it is for a model that is not available yet and I can now actually see that commercial "several times" a night at something that I suspect was a far lower cost per slot than the $7 million spent for the single showing during the Super Bowl. If I am seeing an ad at least a couple times a night then I suspect that Fiat is likely showing it order of magnitude more than that (with all the different channels out there). As such, I suspect that each of these slots are likely far, far less than $7 million per shot for them.

To me then its hard to see how spending $7 million for a single 60 second shot for a model not on sale yet makes sense for the sales of models currently on sale even if you assume that the Abarth is more of a general overall Fiat ad, if it takes at something like seven times viewing the commercial to stick, as you suggested above. To be honest, after just seeing this particular commercial just a few times (especially in its shortened form) its actually kind of begun to loose its interest to me.

I wonder perhaps if Fiat hadn't spent $7 million for that one 60 second spot could they instead have been able to air the commercial for the rest of the month a couple times in its fuller form, which (at least to me) is a version I like more, as it seems to have a better focus on the car to me than the shorter version seems to.

To me, not really. To be honest I really only see a couple people here actually talking about the commercial right now here (and I don't see much of a discussion about it elsewhere on the internet), and since I already have a relatively new Pop I'm not likely to run out and buy a new car right now. So to be honest I'm not really seeing a big win here from running a single 60 second ad spot for a model that was not on sale at the time is really that big of a win at all.

Hi, one of my general suggestions wasn't to give away just one car, but rather one car per Studio (for a total of about 200 or so across the country). If the main way of entering such a competition is to go to a Studio to enter, then that would seem to me to be likely to bring bodies into the Studios than just running a single commercial once.

Beyond that though, isn't Fiat currently planning to give away three Abarths as part of their "Spot the Scorpion" campaign? My suspicion is that they are doing this giveaway as a marketing tool, so I'm not sure how other give aways wouldn't also work.

As I've said before, I really like my Fiat and I really want to see Fiat succeed, but I can't help but think that some may be trying to see stuff that may not be there.

Yes, internet "buzz" and "hits" on websites may have increased from showing the "Seduction' ad during the Super Bowl. But I don't know of anything that can be used to relate those "hits" to sales, especially for sales of models not in the Ad.

In addition to that specifically, how many of those 'hits' were due to interest in the car and how many of them were along the lines of "wow look at this really sexy actress"? And, along those lines how many of those "hits" were from people either actually actively looking for a new car or were from people likely to soon buy a new car, as opposed to people who were not likely to be buying a new car anytime soon.

Because of stuff like this I find it really hard to jump to a conclusion that increased internet 'buzz' or "hits" on websites can be directly related to an increase in sales, especially if there are also other factors that may be affecting sales and/or evidence that other companies who didn't have a Super Bowl commercial that generated alot of internet "buzz" or "hits" also experienced a similar big increase in sales.

Regards

Pat

Pat,

I get it. You have made it perfectly clear on multiple posts, over multiple forums, that you disagree with the way Chrysler/Fiat has allocated it funds and its advertising direction. They disagree. It's their money.

I posit that if they haven't changed their mind by now, I think you're beating a dead horse.

As always, I seem to disagree with your pretty much all of the time. Life is like that. I personally think they're finally on the right track. Let's just sit back and see what happens. I think it's going to be a good year, you don't. If they don't make their sales target this year, I'll retract this.... you do the same. Now let's talk about something else.

Cheers and all the best!

FiatGusto
03-05-2012, 12:02 AM
This horse is so dead, it is starting to smell.......
PLEASE LET'S MOVE ON !

ggravant
03-05-2012, 12:24 AM

VTEC Mini
03-05-2012, 12:36 PM
I too feel that this thread should probably get back on its initial topic and if anyone wants to discuss other stuff (like advertising in general) then maybe that discussion should be moved to another thread.

Then stop.

Fiat411
05-01-2012, 10:44 PM
I love this commercial.

MM22
05-01-2012, 10:56 PM
I'm normally not big on personalized plates but I was considering "Winning". It would be an inside joke. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QS0q3mGPGg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Fiat411
05-01-2012, 11:05 PM
That's too funny. I was thinking the same thing.