PDA

View Full Version : Fiat Dual Dry Clutch Transmission Making Its Way to the US

Fiat500USA
02-23-2012, 02:10 AM
Fiat500USA.com Has Just Posted the Following:

More... (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Fiat500USA/~3/Wtw6Ne4Iwco/fiat-dual-dry-clutch-transmission.html)

FiatGusto
02-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Would someone please explain to me what dual clutch means? I read the article above, but still do not understand the excitement. Are these trans. auto`s or stick shift? Do you use a clutch on the floor or is it on a paddle on the steering wheel, or is it just an automatic like I have on my Sport?
Just need a primer on what the description actually means.
Thank you

unknown_eyes
02-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Would someone please explain to me what dual clutch means? I read the article above, but still do not understand the excitement. Are these trans. auto`s or stick shift? Do you use a clutch on the floor or is it on a paddle on the steering wheel, or is it just an automatic like I have on my Sport?
Just need a primer on what the description actually means.
Thank you

Did you watch the you-tube video that was in the original article? I thought that the video explained it pretty well.

FiatGusto
02-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Did you watch the you-tube video that was in the original article? I thought that the video explained it pretty well.

I did, yes. What I still don't understand is, do you actually shift the transmission with the stick, or does it shift automatically?

unknown_eyes
02-23-2012, 08:05 PM
I did, yes. What I still don't understand is, do you actually shift the transmission with the stick, or does it shift automatically?

I was under the impression that it shifted automatically. I am by no means mechanically inclined!! So, maybe someone else can elaborate.

Felnus
02-23-2012, 08:10 PM

No, do you not shift with the stick with a dual dry clutch transmission. Envision a normal manual transmission car except that the clutch pedal is gone and there is not a stick shifter but rather something that looks like the shifter in an automatic transmission car. The actions you would perform with your left leg and right arm are now controlled by the engine computer and acccomplished with servo motors. In most cars with this type of transmission, manual shifting is done with buttons or "paddle" levers behind the steering wheel like in a Formula 1 race car.

The advantages of this type of transmission are that it is a little lighter than a traditional automatic transmission with a wet clutch and torque converter but it is much more efficient; as efficient or more efficient than a traditional manual transmission with the same gearing. It can make a gear change faster than a human being can using the two clutches to disengage one gear while engaging the next.

geeded
02-23-2012, 08:21 PM
I was under the impression that it shifted automatically. I am by no means mechanically inclined!! So, maybe someone else can elaborate.

Basically, the transmission will shift by itself or you can shift it. Your choice. One gear is engaged and the next is ready to go for either the computer or you to request it. Very fast shift and it doesn't incur the efficiency losses of a torque converter automatic.

Lots of technology involved but just think "faster shifts, more efficient" and that will about cover it.*

*However, if they are tuned for max MPG vice max fun, they are a drag .... see Ford Focus. YMMV

Cheers

Bladecutter
02-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Hopefully the company that is building these transmissions in China isn't the same one that has been building the POS manual transmissions that have been plaguing the Ford Mustang and several other companies lately with substandard transmissions.

BC.