PDA

View Full Version : Mopar CAI on an automatic. It fits!!!

unknown_eyes
02-18-2012, 07:18 PM
There was some discussion about the Mopar cold air intake on another thread and it was unclear if it would work on an automatic 500.

Well, I made a trip to my Fiat studio today and purchased a Mopar CAI and had them install it on my automatic lounge!!! :cheerful: I am very happy with the outcome. It gives the car a nice sound while pushing on the pedal and it definately feels more responsive!! Now I just need to get the Mopar strut tower brace!

On a side note the studio manager had the Mopar axle back exhaust installed on his demo sport and I really liked it! Although it still has the oval tip like the stock unit, the Mopar exhaust tip is much larger and I think it looks very nice! I followed him over to the Chysler dealer where they did my CAI install and it sounded really good! Not to loud, but noticeable! I did not get to hear it from inside the car, but he stated that it did not "drone" at highway speeds and that you could barely hear it during normal driving conditions. I am think about getting this unit instead of the Borla kit, but that purchase is still a few weeks to a month away. So plenty of time to decide.

mneuman916
02-18-2012, 09:46 PM
There was some discussion about the Mopar cold air intake on another thread and it was unclear if it would work on an automatic 500.

Well, I made a trip to my Fiat studio today and purchased a Mopar CAI and had them install it on my automatic lounge!!! :cheerful: I am very happy with the outcome. It gives the car a nice sound while pushing on the pedal and it definately feels more responsive!! Now I just need to get the Mopar strut tower brace!

On a side note the studio manager had the Mopar axle back exhaust installed on his demo sport and I really liked it! Although it still has the oval tip like the stock unit, the Mopar exhaust tip is much larger and I think it looks very nice! I followed him over to the Chysler dealer where they did my CAI install and it sounded really good! Not to loud, but noticeable! I did not get to hear it from inside the car, but he stated that it did not "drone" at highway speeds and that you could barely hear it during normal driving conditions. I am think about getting this unit instead of the Borla kit, but that purchase is still a few weeks to a month away. So plenty of time to decide.

If you have questions about the Borla unit feel free to PM me. I just installed it and have also driven a car with the Mopar. I'm much happier with the Borla than I would have ben with the Mopar. I'll be posting some clips soon.

unknown_eyes
02-18-2012, 11:52 PM
Here is a short clip of a sport with the Mopar exhaust and CAI installed. What do you think? Anyone install the mopar exhaust?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Tqf5sRAEM

unknown_eyes
02-19-2012, 11:01 AM
I also wanted to post a few pics of the tips from the Borla and Mopar systems for comparision. They do seem a bit large under the lounge/pop bumper. Performance would probably be better from the Borla system and I could change out the tip if I didn't like the look. IT's a hard choice!

FiatPhil
02-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Here is a short clip of a sport with the Mopar exhaust and CAI installed. What do you think? Anyone install the mopar exhaust?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Tqf5sRAEM

That sounds very nice without being overly loud. Nice sports car exhaust; nice sound under the hood with the CAI. Doesn't sound like a teenage hot rod.

davidl
02-21-2012, 03:30 PM
How long did it take the dealer to do the work? I have the Mopar CAI and exhaust on order and am concerned that only appropriate installation time is charged. Not of course that I am suggesting the service department of a dealer would be up to monkey business.

unknown_eyes
02-21-2012, 03:57 PM
I am away from home and dont have the bill handy to look and see how long it actually took. But I waited at the dealer while they installed it and it was about 2 hours.

You can install both the CAI and the exhaust yourself if you are handy with simple hand tools. There was another thread on CAI's that gave instructions, seemed pretty easy, but you do need to jack up the car and remove the drivers wheel. The mopar exhaust is easy to install as well. I spoke with the sales manager and he installed the exhaust on his demo. He said that you just need to remove a clamp and slide the muffer off the hangers.

I SHOULD have installed it myself and saved some money, but it was raining that day, and I don't have a garage to work in, and I wanted it installed that day!!! :bull_head:

unknown_eyes
02-29-2012, 06:57 PM
I finally decided to go with the Borla exhaust and ordered it today from 500madness. Hopefully it wont take to long to ship. Cant wait to get it installed.

janaheim
02-29-2012, 07:41 PM
I finally decided to go with the Borla exhaust and ordered it today from 500madness. Hopefully it wont take to long to ship. Cant wait to get it installed.

Excellent choice. I, too, decided this morning to get the Borla for my Sport at 500Madness and have them install it this coming Saturday. I had a tough time deciding between the Madness exhaust (lower price, available in late March) or the Borla. I finally said to myself "Get the Borla!" & I remember it was highly recommended by Alvon Elrod and mneuman916. Thanks guys! I think you made the right decision, I never cared for the Mopar. I miei due centesimi (My two cents)!

Ciao

unknown_eyes
02-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Its a good thing I am over 2000 miles from their shop or I would probably live there!!

I studied the videos to the exhaust systems that 500madness had listed and found most of them to be to "raspy" for my taste. I was leaning towards the mopar unit, mostly because of price point, and the more I watched the video the less I liked it. I've watched the video on Alvon's PE many times and it always puts a smile on my face! All of the comments on that thread were very helpful and ultimately helped me make the final decision.

unknown_eyes
03-06-2012, 08:14 PM
I got my Borla exhaust installed today. After drving the car with the stock exhaust since October, my 1st thought was "oh no! it's way to loud"!!! Thankfully I had plenty of time to drive the car today both interstate and local stop and go and am very impressed. At normal in-town driving and interstate cruising the exhaust is quite, you can still tell its there, but its not intrusive. But when you step on the gas you know its there! It gives a nice growl and sounds great!! Very pleased and highly recommended!

mneuman916
03-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Congrats!

janaheim
03-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Congrats!

Ditto!