PDA

View Full Version : First US Abarth Review I've seen (excepting the MT one)

geeded
02-16-2012, 11:40 PM
Here you go guys. 16" wheels and in the snow. Go figure.

http://consummatedriver.blogspot.com/2012/02/review-2012-abarth-500-in-snow.html

Cheers

wachuko
02-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Nice. Thank you for sharing... anything to keep me busy while the cars arrive! :cool:

nyc eng
02-17-2012, 10:57 AM
"I got a crunch from the transmission when I was putting the car into reverse". That's not too reassuring. I take it he was driving a press car?

16's look good, I'm definitely getting snow tires for the winter.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-57hugaklEZI/TznIrhGgHqI/AAAAAAAAA9U/qC2RlGJ29JM/s1600/Abarth-9.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiQXgJRh2pE&context=C3702fdbADOEgsToPDskLHrcC9ry7iNRyCUW9uGniB

Fiat500USA
02-17-2012, 11:22 AM
"I got a crunch from the transmission when I was putting the car into reverse". That's not too reassuring. I take it he was driving a press car?

It was a pre-production car. Should have mentioned that in the story.

talindsay
02-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Hmmm, he lost me as soon as I went to his site and his (permanent) description at the top had the word "connoisseur" not just misspelled, but horribly, not-even-close-misspelled. Apparently he's not a journalist.

geeded
02-17-2012, 12:05 PM
It was a pre-production car. Should have mentioned that in the story.

Agreed. The black engine cover is a dead giveaway. We all know that it will be red on the production cars. Also, he mentioned nothing about the "partially off" setting on the ESC. I'm assuming that, coupled with the engine overpowering the ESC, that the car has the regular ESC software installed (with only an off position added), awaiting the production Abarth version.

I did find the article interesting. Oh, and he should know that putting the shifter into a forward gear before going into reverse will stop the "crunch" which is common to every manual I've driven (no synchro).

Some great pictures though. Good views of the 16" wheels and the standard interior.

Cheers

deathshead
02-17-2012, 03:08 PM
Agreed. The black engine cover is a dead giveaway. We all know that it will be red on the production cars. Also, he mentioned nothing about the "partially off" setting on the ESC. I'm assuming that, coupled with the engine overpowering the ESC, that the car has the regular ESC software installed (with only an off position added), awaiting the production Abarth version.

I did find the article interesting. Oh, and he should know that putting the shifter into a forward gear before going into reverse will stop the "crunch" which is common to every manual I've driven (no synchro).

Some great pictures though. Good views of the 16" wheels and the standard interior.

Cheers

I Currently drive a 05 Dodge SRT-4 ACR, ANYTHING will shift smoother than its diesel cargo van derived trans.
I have no worries about the smoothness, but I AM worried about destructing 3rd gear when pushing 200+ hp...We will see soon.
I could care less about ESC, What I DO care about is the differential in the trans and that inside wheelspin.
Just give us a shot of a nice launch with 2 dark stripes and im buying.
secondly, Always go 1st to Reverse!