PDA

View Full Version : City-only Mileage

talindsay
02-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Okay, so I live 2.5 miles from work, on a city street grid and do all my driving in the local area. Until I got the Fiat, my wife and I shared one car, car-pooling in the winter; in the summer I ride my motorcycle to work.

This 100% city - truly city, not EPA "city" driving that involves a lot of sections of freeway - is brutal on cars. My 2004 Elantra, which really got 35 MPG on long trips and had a city EPA estimate of 27, rarely did better than 21 in this type of driving. Our Mazda 5 gets about 27-28 on long trips, but only manages about 16-18 in our typical city driving. Before these, our 97 Taurus did about 18-20, and our 2000 Kia Sephia did about 20-22.

On my first tank with the Fiat I was seeing about ~25, which was about what I expected. Well, I've now had two tanks in a row that came out very nearly 30 mpg. I've gone 400 miles on just shy of 14 gallons of gas (I think it was actually 395 miles on 13.7 gallons of gas, or thereabouts - I track the exact numbers in my logbook, but it's in the car). That works out to ~29 mpg. If that turns out to be the norm - or even better, it continues to improve as the car breaks in - this car will be transformational for us. We're already finding that we use it as "the" car when the three of us are going places as a family.

People don't understand city mileage; I have log books from every car I've ever owned so I can tell you exactly what they all got and how wildly lower than EPA estimates they've all done in these driving conditions, so when I have a car that's actually getting 30 in the city, I'm ecstatic; but the flocks of suburbanites who drive their thirty miles to and from work on the highway every day say, "I'd expect it to do a lot better - it's tiny!" because they don't understand. They also don't get that I fill my car with 7 gallons of gas once every two weeks.

FiatPhil
02-14-2012, 04:33 PM
I'm getting 30 mpg in city only. I seldom drive any length of freeway and I live in a downtown area. It seems to make no difference whether I use 91 octane gasohol, or 91 octane gasoline. I am very pleased.

MikeThinks
02-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Yea, I posted along rant about the ignorance of people when it comes to MPG on another forum. I had some idiot lady (she is an idiot because she insulted me and my car right before trying to "sell" me on her car repair/customization shop), who asked me what kind of MPG I got. I happily told her I average 35 and that was 90% city slog back and forth to work in traffic. Just like you indicated, the "thats all!?" blurted out, as she began to ask why I hadn't gotten an Accord or Elantra...because they get better millage and are much bigger. I kept my smile, and just wondered to myself "you get all your misinformation from half watching advertisements?" I did tell her that the only way an Elantra was getting 35 in the city was if you where pushing it half the way, which did at least shut her up.

There are very few cars that get the city MPG the 500 does, and none that are as fun to drive for the same price. The Fiat seems to be designed to preform as a drivers car...as opposed to so many other cars which are designed to hit a specific MPG mark on the Highway in EPA tests only.

JohnInIndy
02-14-2012, 09:23 PM
As I've mentioned before, my commute is almost exactly 50% city and 50% urban interstate (which isn't exactly a steady throttle at any time) with a length of about 13 miles each way. Maybe I'm lucky but I've been sitting pretty steady at 33.5-34mpg for nearly the entire 3500 miles I've owned my Pop automatic. I've had two drops in mileage by 2mpg. One was when I used Speedway premium instead of Shell V-Power and one when I used Shell regular instead of V-Power. I'm pretty pleased with the gas mileage of the car. It seems I'm beating the EPA estimates!

jt11
02-14-2012, 10:36 PM
I have about 1400 miles on my Fiat pop with automatic. I am getting about 32 mpg in city driving. I like it!

PFVA63
02-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Hi,

I don't usually do any pure city driving, but as I was leaving work today my low fuel warning came on, so I filled up before leaving DC.

To get to Highway 395 I had to do a bit of back street driving with several stop lights. IOnce on 395 I had about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile of fairly open driving until I hit the backup going across the bridge to Northern VA where it was stop and go for awhile. It opened up just a bit, but quickly went to stop and go again for just a bit near the Pentagon. Once again I had a bit of back street driving before getting on Rt 50 which is a nominally 45mph Boulevard, though near rush hour it tends to get bumper to bumper again near Seven Corners and then again near the Beltway.

After stopping for dinner a then drove for a few more blocks to do some shopping then went home on Rt 29, which is more or less a 30-40mph road (depending on location).

Overall this trip took 1hr 14minutes of driving time (according to the EVIC) and covered 21.6 miles @ an average speed of about 17 mph and the EVIC told me I averaged about 32.9 mpg. :)

Regards

Pat

tensleep
02-17-2012, 11:30 AM
I have a 75 mile daily round trip commute across the Dallas metroplex. It is a 50/50 mix of city interstate and city surface street driving. I have intentionally tried different routes to see how it affects time/fuel economy in my 500 manual pop. I am a bit over 4500 miles at the moment, and EVIC has reported 40+ mpg for the last three tanks of gas. I try to shift @ 2k rpm when possible, without lugging the motor down too hard. I drive 60-65 on the interstate, except when I need to run in the left lane to get around traffic. I go with the flow, usually 70-75, then once I am clear, I tuck back into the slower lane and drop my speed. I also put the car in neutral and coast to stoplights/signs as much as possible, using engine breaking to help extend the life of the brake liners. I am running 87 octane Raceway or Cosco fuel. After this tank, I will probably go the next 3 tanks with a "better" brand of fuel, higher octane, to see if I see an improvement.

I will also verify how accurate the EVIC is.

Doodles
02-19-2012, 09:52 PM
I don't trust evic about mileage.
I put 5gallons in and it goes exactly 150 miles before yellow warning light goes on.
Stop and go driving 18 miles one way.

Fix it again Tony
02-22-2012, 01:03 AM
I commute 11 miles each way, 26 stoplights and only one 2 mile 50 mph stretch. Getting 29 mpg on Shell 87 octane, and 31 after adding a cold air intake. Have not tried premium yet, but for the cost difference per gallon I am not sure if it is worth it. Guess I'll have to try it out.

tensleep
02-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Hit 5k miles today, 500 Pop.

Filled up with 87 octane, 9.277 gallons.
Drove 358 miles on last tank, 93 octane.

EVIC reported 40.2 mpg
358 mi/9.277 gal = 38.59 mph calculated
[(40.2 mpg - 38.59 mpg)/38.59 mpg] x 100 = 4.2% error for EVIC reporting.

We will see how the octane changes things, Costco gas.

tensleep
02-25-2012, 07:10 PM

EVIC reported 40.2 mpg

Fix it again Tony
04-05-2012, 11:45 PM

EVIC reported 40.2 mpg

Octane means nothing. I got 29mpg with regular, added a CAI and got 31, went to super and got 30. I'm back to regular.

cmj912
04-06-2012, 03:26 PM
My commute is almost all intra-urban and the freeway stretches are all at rush hour in stop & go traffic.
I get between 28 and 31 depending on the number of trips and their duration.
The car has 8,300 miles on it as of this morning. I have the automatic.

vphb
04-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Then I'm truly baffled....I'm finally at 3200 miles...it's hard work breaking in a new car when you live and work in the city, stop and go traffic and take a few weekend excursions to try and open it up. On the freeway I just 36mpg...that made me really happy but I'm still getting 21 mpg in the city stop and go....and that really irks me because I wanted to get a car that got 25-26 mpg and was told explicitly by the salesmen that I would get the advertised mileage in the city stop and go. Then reading on the boards that others are ......is really making me confuswd. I don't gun it...I actually had a power booster put in that I could disable...Well , I disabled it thru 2 tanks of gas recently just to see and got worse mileage...so I put it back in and got back up to my 21mpg. The first servicing was 2 weeks ago (got it in Oct) and the service tech said that I'll be still breaking it in to 5k miles...and it should improve...really???...I've tried every grade of gas over the last 6 mo and now at his recommendation I'm just using 87 grade....got my 36 mpg on a haul from the desert to L.A earlier today...yayyy!!!...but the city mpg is still not making me smile!

FiatGusto
04-19-2012, 11:54 PM
Hi: My 2 cents..... I have an auto Sport. Never drive in sport mode. I get 34-36 highway,( not very often on a highway/freeway) and 27-28 small town America driving. My average speed is pathetic; about 25 mph. (No I am not that old.)
I am not pleased either, as the 5 speed people eat us alive in mileage.
I only have 4300 miles in 9 months, but I truly don't expect much better.
But, I am sincere about no sport mode.
Not sure if this helps.

vphb
04-24-2012, 10:38 AM
I'd be thrilled to no end if i could get 27-28 mpg city on my sport (automatic)....still can't crack 21 in Los Angeles traffic. i'll probably get 24-25 on this tank which was half freeway and the rest my normal city mode...but city alone is very disappointing!

msjulie33
04-24-2012, 11:08 AM
I'd be thrilled to no end if i could get 27-28 mpg city on my sport (automatic)....still can't crack 21 in Los Angeles traffic. i'll probably get 24-25 on this tank which was half freeway and the rest my normal city mode...but city alone is very disappointing!

I was going to comment about how my milage improved (all of ~1900 on the car :) ) because I think it's breaking in and also because I've found the happy rpm for the motor - but then you have an auto and mine is a 5 speed so your car is choosing for you there..

FWIW in my around-town (not city, back roads and stop lights) I'm at 36.7mpg or so... the car really likes to be kept at 2100-2500 rpm for best economy. It's ok if I zip around a bit but, as expected, lugging the engine costs mpg maybe more than some would expect. I also use sport mode (like the steering and throttle changes) and haven't yet put 87 in (since it came from the dealer anyways).

FiatGusto
04-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Here is a really "left field" idea. since your air in LA is "different" than in southern Oregon, perhaps one of those upgrade air filters might improve things for you.
I know others on this forum say that they make a real difference in performance, maybe cleaner air to the engine might help.
Just a thought.....

panther76
04-24-2012, 11:32 AM
everyone has vastly different "city" driving conditions. there are some who have city conditions that entail very little movement between lights or parking lot conditions on the freeways. for them, 20 mpg is probably as good as its going to get.

relyat08
05-06-2012, 04:02 AM
I don't live in the city, but I don't drive on the freeway almost ever. In fact, the only times I've been on a freeway in my Fiat so far is to go to the dealer and back. On those 2 trips I averaged a pretty sweet 45 mpgs(I am driving the 5 speed manual of course). Anyway, back to the original point I was getting at. Though where I live isn't technically city, it is definitely a highly populated suburban area and I am getting between 35 and 39 mpg while delivering pizza in my town. That means I am doing plenty of idling, stop and go at lights and slow driving through neighborhoods. And while I do hypermile to some extent, I can get 37 mpgs fairly naturally while delivering and not really thinking about it much at all. on my last 3 tanks I have averaged over 37 mpg and this is all from delivering pizza's without any freeway driving. I'm pretty excited with the potential I'm seeing with this car. :)

Paris11
06-26-2012, 06:36 PM
You think you got mileage problems! have auto /sport----Im getting 15.7 avg mpg city-sportbutton off, premium gas and driving like an old lady.........Id do flips for 21city LOL

Paris11
07-02-2012, 10:58 PM
...auto sport 500 16 city, 27-30 hwy......no behavior can change city mpg for me here in LA......Ive tried everything.....premium gas and NO sport mode-hardly any change in city...high flow filter-no change in mpg...21 is amazing

vphb
07-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Hi Paris, I have the same issue...On the frwy for a long haul I get 35-36 mpg no problem...in the city...true city grid driving, traffic and all 20 mpg is the average...never saw 22...barely see 21 on occasion. When I bought I was told I would for sure get "26 mpg" in stop n go city driving. It's crap...my old turbo mini cooper even got 21mpg (manual trans) ok, this is an automatic/sport... but I was told when I pressed the dealer before buying...yes, 26mpg in the city with this vehicle...last time i was at the shop for my 6 mo check up the dealer said, "wait till you get more miles on the car"...ok, now at 4500 miles...still waiting. I enjoy the car and parking is easy in town...but I have to say...Biggest disappointment has been the city mileage and I've tried everything as well..So I feel your pain:-)