PDA

View Full Version : Abarth Spare Wheel

luke_vibert_uk
02-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Just had a thought...

"When" the Abarth 500 is finally delivered over your way, do you know if its going to be delivered with (or optional) spare wheel?

At the moment here in the UK, there is no suitable spare to fit the A500. The 16" Fiat 500 spare will not fit the Abarth 500 due to the larger brake calipers fitted.

The other issue is the wheel diameters across the axles and the potential to knacker the diff, that is if the DSC doesn't have a wobble before hand. So that means that in the event of a puncture you'll have to remove a wheel off the rear to the front and put the spare on the back...which brings another issue...jacking.

The A500 is very low at the front jacking point- be aware at tyre fitting shops as they either ram the jack under the side valance only to then find the jack doesnt fit and damage it, or they jack the car up on it (!) :mad: The jacking point is set some way back from the marker and the manual even says not to jack the car up other than using an Abarth approved ramp!*

THEN...

There is the issue of the spare wheel bay - this will only accommodate the 16" spare as the 16 and 17 Alloys with tyre fitted won't fit inflated! There is no room underneath as the exhaust takes up alot of room.

So just wondering if there are any options available which are better than our "inflation kits". I know carrying around a spare goes against the Abarth ethos, but I'd much rather know I can get the car moving on a proper wheel (even if I have to inflate it) than on a hope, prayer and a can of Tyre Weld.

Any thoughts?

*NOTE this has been a serious issue across many owners in the UK. As mentioned the clearance between Ground Level and the bottom of the car is minimal and the jacking points are not where the markings are! A common sign of mis jacking is a curve or puncture to the underside the side skirts. A common sign of carelessness is marks left by the jack as its rammed under the car.

SeaDawg
02-11-2012, 04:14 PM
The problem with the jacking points being UNDERNEATH the car has caused some problems here in the states even with the normal 500! Your point about the clearance should be well heeded. Because our North American modified body doesn't allow for the spare tire to be carried in the car under the back boot area (it's actually stored UNDER the back of the car and lowered by a manually operated winch IF you have a spare) the North American Abarth will NOT have a spare, period, due to the dual exhaust.

I HAVE a spare in my 500, but at my age, I'm more likely to call Triple A on the cell to come change it, than for me to tackle the job.

luke_vibert_uk
02-11-2012, 04:45 PM
I guess it depends on what suspension settings the NA A500 comes with.

As mine is an SS it has lower than standard A500 suspension, but even those have problems. I think in real term measurement there must be only 6 inches max between GL and underside of the car (it bulges downwards underneath).

Agreed, I've breakdown cover which will rescue me in the event of a non repairable puncture but there is something about piece of mind...

MrFiat
02-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Agreed, I've breakdown cover which will rescue me in the event of a non repairable puncture but there is something about piece of mind...

:friendly_wink: LOL !! Peace of mind ??? In an Abarth ?? A good bit of the adrenalin rush you get from climbing into the car and starting off down the road is the complete and utter uncertainty over whether or not you'll get back from the ride unscathed! But then again, that's in the old one! -- :rolleyes: -- Never had a spare in the '60 and thank goodness, up to now, I've not needed one. Still I hear what you're saying! I'll check with the dealer here and get a read on this for you.

Thad
02-14-2012, 09:53 AM
The USA Abarth will not come with a spare for the reason that there is no place to store it. Like mentioned above, the exhaust occupies the space under the rear where it would otherwise fit. Forget if it even fits on the hub.

Giallo Edizione
02-14-2012, 01:10 PM
The USA Abarth will not come with a spare for the reason that there is no place to store it. Like mentioned above, the exhaust occupies the space under the rear where it would otherwise fit. Forget if it even fits on the hub.

Exactly as it was with the show car at NE Auto Show. No place for it because of the exhaust system. OTOH, if the 500 spare or any of the standard 500 wheels, (15 or 16's) will fit over the front caliper, then one of those could be carried in the boot for long distance drives. Or find a more common ( and cheaper) 4 X `100 donut spare from another make that fits and use wobble bolts .If the flat is is in the front, put the spare on the rearand move the good front rim and tire to the front. That is what I did for my MINI S and for my SRT8. Hopefully this will not happen often, if ever.

So first thing when the Abarth comes out is for someone to get a dealer to try the fit of he standard 500 spare or a steel 15" Pop wheel or a 16" Sport or Lounge wheel on the front hubs of the Abarth.

luke_vibert_uk
02-14-2012, 03:38 PM
A standard 16 spare wont fit...or at least doesn't fit Euro spec Abarth 500s as they have bigger brakes. A 15 has too small rotational radius and risks knackering the diff.

We have the spare wheel well under the carpet in the boot but this is currently filled with polystyrene (easily removed) and houses the puncture gear.

Giallo Edizione
02-14-2012, 07:22 PM
A standard 16 spare wont fit...or at least doesn't fit Euro spec Abarth 500s as they have bigger brakes. A 15 has too small rotational radius and risks knackering the diff.

We have the spare wheel well under the carpet in the boot but this is currently filled with polystyrene (easily removed) and houses the puncture gear.

First, I changed my prior post as I had it backwards, I meant if the flat is in the front move a good rear wheel to the front and use the spare in the rear. No knackering of the diff then. If the stock spare does not fit over the smaller rear brakes, I have to believe the brakes will fit under a 15 or defiinitely 16" road wheel.

Fiat500USA
02-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Here is what is underneath the carpet on a regular 500:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-lcdxGbR1-ZQ/TzrtXI5FaEI/AAAAAAAAK8w/SLCWBqc2tH4/s640/Fiat%2520Freak%2520Out%25202010%2520603.jpg

Giallo Edizione
02-15-2012, 11:01 AM
Here is what is underneath the carpet on a regular 500:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-lcdxGbR1-ZQ/TzrtXI5FaEI/AAAAAAAAK8w/SLCWBqc2tH4/s640/Fiat%2520Freak%2520Out%25202010%2520603.jpg

Remove the styrofoam and stand up a spare and it should fit with the rear seat up. I used small bunjie cords in my MINI S to hold it in place for long drives. Never needed it though. My wife and kids destroyed tires generally within 1 or 2 miles from the house. Two rims and two tires on one pot hole only one traffic light away-that was especially cool.

luke_vibert_uk
02-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Thats the same as mine, although the standard 500's have the spare wheel located there in lieu of the foam packing. You can get a 16" alloy and tyre in the gap but it has to be deflated and is a very tight squeeze.

Andy87t2
02-24-2012, 04:51 PM
The 4x98 bolt pattern is going to make it tough to find a junkyard spare like i had originally planned. I cant seem to find any cars in the States using this bolt patern.

Giallo Edizione
02-25-2012, 02:43 PM
The 4x98 bolt pattern is going to make it tough to find a junkyard spare like i had originally planned. I cant seem to find any cars in the States using this bolt patern.

4x100 with wobble bolts.

SeaDawg
02-25-2012, 02:57 PM

Check with custom wheel stores, they may have one they removed from a Pop when doing an upgrade....or....check with 500madness as they do those wheel changeouts all the time and have Pop wheels available. Caveat: They're located in the L.A. area of California.

luke_vibert_uk
02-25-2012, 02:58 PM
It has been suggested that the spare from a Fiat Chroma might fit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Croma

given that production numbers were'nt huge and sales even less chances of finding a spare are slim....

grapefish
02-25-2012, 07:39 PM
The OEM steel wheel is about $80 from your dealer.

EugeneS
07-12-2012, 12:31 AM
Anyone tried to fit regular Fiat 500 spare tire on Abarth? I got the kit thanks to very "knowledgeable" sales lady at my studio. After test drive I asked if the car comes with spare (I knew it did not) but she reached under the back to check and said no. I asked if they can throw in and install the tire as part of the deal, she said yes. So at the end of the day they booked service appointment for me to install the spare... When I went there on Monday for the "installation", the service manager was looking at me as if I am crazy ("install it where???" he asked me) and I totally expected this reaction. He ended up giving me the spare tire kit for regular 500. I want to have it for long trips to/via remote areas with no cell phone coverage, I feel safer that way even if takes the space in the trunk, but I just want to make sure if it will actually fit over Abarth breaks...

SeaDawg
07-12-2012, 03:00 AM
Anyone tried to fit regular Fiat 500 spare tire on Abarth? I got the kit thanks to very "knowledgeable" sales lady at my studio. After test drive I asked if the car comes with spare (I knew it did not) but she reached under the back to check and said no. I asked if they can throw in and install the tire as part of the deal, she said yes. So at the end of the day they booked service appointment for me to install the spare... When I went there on Monday for the "installation", the service manager was looking at me as if I am crazy ("install it where???" he asked me) and I totally expected this reaction. He ended up giving me the spare tire kit for regular 500. I want to have it for long trips to/via remote areas with no cell phone coverage, I feel safer that way even if takes the space in the trunk, but I just want to make sure if it will actually fit over Abarth breaks...

The front brakes are the only ones that are bigger. If push came to shove, I suppose you could always shift the good wheel from the back on that side to the front and fit the spare to the back wheel.

The turbocharged Chevy HHR had the same problem, except they had a spare (it just wouldn't fit the front wheels due to the brake calipers).

Corrnaus
07-12-2012, 06:15 AM
My studio got their first car with the new style exhaust, and not positive but it almost looks like a spare might fit with that 18 pound suitcase gone.. If you even could get a spare in there, my guess is it would sit very close to the exhaust

EugeneS
07-12-2012, 10:45 AM
The front brakes are the only ones that are bigger. If push came to shove, I suppose you could always shift the good wheel from the back on that side to the front and fit the spare to the back wheel.

Good idea, thank you!

MarkG
07-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Never mind the spare tire, we don't even have a jack Checking into ordering one today.

nsorens
07-24-2012, 07:52 PM
The jack is packed under the drivers seat with the electric tire pump.

davidjon_99
07-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Never mind the spare tire, we don't even have a jack Checking into ordering one today.

I used my jack this weekend. It's under the back side of the driver's seat.

Vaejovis carolinanus aka lowconabarth
07-24-2012, 10:19 PM
I learned that 195/45/r16s are not so easy to get in a pinch so I ordered an extra to have just in case.