PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for my Abarth is Painful!

Thomas
02-08-2012, 12:31 PM
I don't know about you folks, but I have been waiting to have this car for so long. Practically no day goes by without me thinking about it. I am in Canada, and we can't order the car yet. Counting down the days! Hopefully in time for a nice spring day. Rolling down the road in my 500 Abarth.

geeded
02-08-2012, 02:12 PM
I don't know about you folks, but I have been waiting to have this car for so long. Practically no day goes by without me thinking about it. I am in Canada, and we can't order the car yet. Counting down the days! Hopefully in time for a nice spring day. Rolling down the road in my 500 Abarth.

I feel your pain Thomas. I was hoping to have mine to roll into the "MINI's on the Dragon" here the beginning of May. It would have been a stitch. Sigh.... OTOH, I am finally getting one after a couple of years reading about them on the European blogs. So, Huzzah! I guess.

Buck up, they'll get here sooner or later.

Cheers

67GTO
02-08-2012, 02:17 PM
I'm with you Thomas...Let's go already. Ive got it configured (White ,red stripe, convenience package) and it's new home in the garage all swept out. All I need is it.

By the way, I may be on an island here but I really think the stock 16" wheels look better than the 17'ers. There's something "aftermarketish" about them. But no matter...bring on the Abarths.

blefevre
02-08-2012, 03:04 PM
I am just getting frustrated at this point. They don't even have the configurator online yet when the official unveiling was in November! I will be very surprised if we see them in March like they claimed. I guess I just need to suck it up and hope the wait will be worth it.

MrFiat
02-08-2012, 04:40 PM
I am just getting frustrated at this point. They don't even have the configurator online yet when the official unveiling was in November! I will be very surprised if we see them in March like they claimed. I guess I just need to suck it up and hope the wait will be worth it.

Hang in there. I've been waiting 50 years and counting, but if the new one is anywhere near as good as the old ones (and I'm sure it will), It will certainly be well worth the wait!

Have Trumpet Will Travel
02-08-2012, 07:37 PM
I am just getting frustrated at this point. I guess I just need to suck it up and hope the wait will be worth it. IT WILL be worth the wait. Both myself and Jim have been waiting 45-50 years (each) for this very day. Trust US, it WILL be worth the wait and then some. This will be a "high mark" for the ABARTH brand because of the added technology built into today's cars, and once again ABARTH can hold its head high and again make automotive history, it is going to happen - let's ALL be patient - Ciao: HTWT.

Thomas
02-08-2012, 09:12 PM
IT WILL be worth the wait. Both myself and Jim have been waiting 45-50 years (each) for this very day. Trust US, it WILL be worth the wait and then some. This will be a "high mark" for the ABARTH brand because of the added technology built into today's cars, and once again ABARTH can hold its head high and again make automotive history, it is going to happen - let's ALL be patient - Ciao: HTWT.

Well as it turns out, I've been waiting a long time too. I used to live in France in the late 60s and early seventies. I loved to see the various Abarth cars, but also the Renault Alpine and Gordini. A friend of mine had an Autobianchi Abarth as well. A112, I think it was.

This makes me wonder re the demographic for this car. I think it's going to be all over the map.

Thomas
02-08-2012, 09:14 PM
I tell you what. I know that it's kind of early, but how about an aspirational yearly meet? I'm willing to drive down from Toronto. No pressure.

Have Trumpet Will Travel
02-08-2012, 09:26 PM
This makes me wonder re the demographic for this car. I think it's going to be all over the map. SO TRUE. There will be the guys in their 60's, myself in VA./one in N.Y. who I think is turning 70!!! Then the younger set, much younger, in their 20's - 30's which is A.O.K. by me, 'cause they're the ones to take the brand into the future - they are looking ahead / some of US are looking back, fondly, VERY fondly. It will be interesting, no doubt. HTWT.

blefevre
02-09-2012, 12:35 AM
This makes me wonder re the demographic for this car. I think it's going to be all over the map.

It will be all over. I myself am rather young in my early-mid 20's. But I am a die hard car enthusiast from practically birth. I live and breath everything automotive and motorsport related. As any big enthusiast knows....if you have an opportunity to own an Abarth then take that opportunity. That is why I am getting mine.

GileraWarren
02-09-2012, 09:25 AM
SO TRUE. There will be the guys in their 60's, myself in VA./one in N.Y. who I think is turning 70!!! Then the younger set, much younger, in their 20's - 30's which is A.O.K. by me, 'cause they're the ones to take the brand into the future - they are looking ahead / some of US are looking back, fondly, VERY fondly. It will be interesting, no doubt. HTWT.

Yea I'll be 70 my next birthday and I'm getting very impatient. I'm not sure I understand the Italian way of marketing cars and cycles. Cycles are even worse. They show them at a major motor show and 1 to 2 years later they show up in the showrooms:crushed:. Why spend 7 million on a car that not only you can't go buy the next morning but you can't even see it or order it:confusion:??????????

BTW HTWT YOU HAVE A PM. At least I sent you one

Rally555
02-09-2012, 09:50 AM
I'm 55 on the 12th and I'm waiting too. I had an 850 Spider, X19, and a 124 Spider. The car I really wanted from Fiat was the 131 Bravo Rally edition which were only in Europe in the early 80's that was a beautiful car. My current car is an 08 Evo X. So I'm in no hurry. I want to wait a couple of runs to make sure the Abarth is reliable. Can't wait!

PS. Looking into light pods for the Abarth.

grapefish
02-09-2012, 10:00 AM
I test drove a 2008 VW R32 the other day. Low miles, great price, and a car I've always wanted to own. I've been a German car driver my whole life, (Audis and VWs) and the R32 is a car i always swore I'd not pass up. It was even the right color. #4832 of 5000. I can still hear the sound it makes. :joyous:

Ultimately though, I walked away from it because I'm on the list for an Abarth and cannot wait to get it.

blefevre
02-09-2012, 11:32 AM
I test drove a 2008 VW R32 the other day. Low miles, great price, and a car I've always wanted to own. I've been a German car driver my whole life, (Audis and VWs) and the R32 is a car i always swore I'd not pass up. It was even the right color. #4832 of 5000. I can still hear the sound it makes. :joyous:

Ultimately though, I walked away from it because I'm on the list for an Abarth and cannot wait to get it.

My friend has a R32 and it's a fun car. I couldn't get on the order list for the new Golf R from anywhere! I am still searching for one for my wife.

yul
02-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Heard this thru a reliable source that the allotment of Abarths for Canada in 2012 is 300 units only..........i hope that rumor is wrong.

GileraWarren
02-09-2012, 04:11 PM
My dealer said 2000 for USA

geeded
02-09-2012, 06:18 PM
My dealer said 2000 for USA

To me that sounds about right. Remember, this is being sold as a 2012 model in late spring when everyone else calls their new cars 2013 model. That means our Abarth model year will only be maybe 3-4 months, maybe shorter. I don't think they can even build 2000 in that much time. They should just label them '13 models, then a 2 or 3k limit would mean something.

Oh, if that R32 had been a 2004 model, I'd tell you to run don't walk and grab it. I bought one new (with a discount!). Up till now, my most unforgettable car (and I've had a bunch).

We will abide.

Cheers

Have Trumpet Will Travel
02-09-2012, 07:14 PM
It will be all over. As any big enthusiast knows....if you have an opportunity to own an Abarth then take that opportunity. That is why I am getting mine. Is this TOO COOL or what? This is exactly what the Abarth allure is ALL ABOUT. As blefevre said: "It will be all over". For the umpteenth time, this is a glad day for the Abarth name, can't wait to see them scurrying about. HTWT.

Thomas
02-09-2012, 08:45 PM
I put my name and deposit down at Maranello Fiat in Toronto way back when. I really hope that I will be included in the first batch. Paolo salut!

Jim McKenzie
02-10-2012, 09:26 AM
I'm still interested in the Abarth, but I'd really like the automatic transmission option. I'm putting both my X1/9 and 850 Sport Spider back on the road in March, and would love to be driving three Fiats this spring :)

Thomas
02-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Please, no auto. Maybe paddles could be tolerated, but an auto just not seem right in this car.

I'm still interested in the Abarth, but I'd really like the automatic transmission option. I'm putting both my X1/9 and 850 Sport Spider back on the road in March, and would love to be driving three Fiats this spring :)

Jim McKenzie
02-11-2012, 01:10 PM
I truly hate it when people feel the need to jump in and say that...there is an auto option in the Super Abarths, the special models like the Ferrari tribute etc there is no sacrilege at all with an auto-Abarth. I have two manuals already in my X1/9 and 850...no need for a third in a daily driver.

Thomas
02-12-2012, 01:37 PM
Those are pretty strong words Jim. This is an open forum dialogue, and you should expect people expressing their opinions etc....I have to admit that once in a while after my 393rd shift, stuck in traffic on the parkway, I could have used an automatic. Nevertheless, Abarth/manual combo is for me.

epb
02-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Yea I'll be 70 my next birthday and I'm getting very impatient. I'm not sure I understand the Italian way of marketing cars and cycles. Cycles are even worse. They show them at a major motor show and 1 to 2 years later they show up in the showrooms:crushed:. Why spend 7 million on a car that not only you can't go buy the next morning but you can't even see it or order it:confusion:??????????

That's not the Italians, that's everyone in the car industry. We saw the new Camaro years before it was released, and Acura/Honda spent a fortune on a Super Bowl ad (not just airing it - Leno and Seinfeld ain't cheap) for the NSX which is a concept at least 2 years from production.

janaheim
02-12-2012, 05:17 PM
SO TRUE. There will be the guys in their 60's, myself in VA./one in N.Y. who I think is turning 70!!! Then the younger set, much younger, in their 20's - 30's which is A.O.K. by me, 'cause they're the ones to take the brand into the future - they are looking ahead / some of US are looking back, fondly, VERY fondly. It will be interesting, no doubt. HTWT.

My body's turning 60 this April, but my mind is stuck at 25! :D

Fiat500USA
02-12-2012, 10:39 PM
I'm 49 and have loved European cars all my life. Naturally doing this, I'm a big Italian car enthusiast, but I also love French cars, too. Anything that is interesting, intelligent and maybe unconventional. I appreciate history and Europe, so driving these cars is a way for me to experience the different cultures every day. It is also a way to connect to different engineers and designers whom I respect and enjoy.

Have Trumpet Will Travel
02-13-2012, 12:03 AM
That's not the Italians, that's everyone in the car industry. A lot of we small-car nuts are motorcyclists at heart, also. What GW meant IMO was that when the Japanese (big four) debut a bike, you read about it and immediately its available; not so with Ducati, Moto Morini / Laverda (back in the day). True about the Camaro, Challenger, etc. as far as concept cars in this country. Yes, the 500 ABARTH is going to take awhile, but when it arrives, we'll all be ecstatic; just WAIT and see. About six weeks and hopefully they will be here. HTWT.

VTEC Mini
02-13-2012, 12:15 PM
A lot of we small-car nuts are motorcyclists at heart, also. What GW meant IMO was that when the Japanese (big four) debut a bike, you read about it and immediately its available; not so with Ducati, Moto Morini / Laverda (back in the day). True about the Camaro, Challenger, etc. as far as concept cars in this country. Yes, the 500 ABARTH is going to take awhile, but when it arrives, we'll all be ecstatic; just WAIT and see. About six weeks and hopefully they will be here. HTWT.I am not so much a Motorcycle guy (my brother is though- like certifiable) but I love small hatchback looking/ style cars- for some reason. But, they have to have a performance edge like the Abarth, MINI/ Mini, GTI, Civic hatch Si, CRX, - cars like that.

Thomas
02-13-2012, 04:10 PM
I currently drive a 2004 Echo hatchback (was not available in the U.S). Kind of boring you might say, but a rock solid car. Other than regular maintenance, I have only changed one front light bulb in (7) years. I can't tell you how many people seem generally amazed at the size of my car (slightly larger than a 500). Then I hear statements like: 'it looks like a good city run about, but I wouldn't take that out of town'. 'Do you actually go on the highway with that thing'. The statements amaze me, as I grew up for years in Europe, and these kinds of small cars are more the norm than a rarity. Can't wait for the Abarth.

MarkG
02-22-2012, 04:11 PM
I just turned 65, Ordered mine in white with red mirrors and stripe. Saw my first Abarth about 1959, Our neighbor raced an Allemano Spider. Next time I saw one was Sebring in 65, Al Cosentino had a 1000 Belina Corsa to run in the first TransAm race, I crewed for him several times while in the Navy. Went to work for him at FAZA in Daytona in 72. I bought an Abarth-Simca 1300 with a blown engine while in the service. Great to see the Abarth name back, this time with a turbo rather than twin 45 DCOE Webers.