PDA

View Full Version : Fiat 500 Sales for January Beat MINI Cooper Sales

Fiat500USA
02-07-2012, 02:21 AM
Fiat500USA.com Has Just Posted the Following:

More... (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Fiat500USA/~3/mL7Uw2zeFqE/fiat-500-sales-for-january-beat-mini.html)

panther76
02-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Fiat500USA.com Has Just Posted the Following:

More... (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Fiat500USA/~3/mL7Uw2zeFqE/fiat-500-sales-for-january-beat-mini.html)

imo, its a flawed argument because i think alot of people who are going to buy a mini are going with one of their other offerings, but absent those would still buy the hardtop or convert.

likewise, i expect when the 500L comes out, the 500 sales (500/500c) will not stay at the level they are averaging at that point.

as an example, mini sold almost 43,000 units the year before the clubman was available (and the countryman wast even out until several years later.

as we will see with fiat, each new model will affect the sales numbers of the exising models.

Fiat500USA
02-07-2012, 11:17 AM
imo, its a flawed argument because i think alot of people who are going to buy a mini are going with one of their other offerings, but absent those would still buy the hardtop or convert.

likewise, i expect when the 500L comes out, the 500 sales (500/500c) will not stay at the level they are averaging at that point.

as an example, mini sold almost 43,000 units the year before the clubman was available (and the countryman wast even out until several years later.

as we will see with fiat, each new model will affect the sales numbers of the exising models.

As I mentioned in the post, the figures were used to provide a context to the 1911 cars sold. They are also to point out to people that the car is selling at reasonable rates and is not the failure that it was branded.

Where is the flaw?

500ways
02-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Let's look at the forest and not the trees. Regardless of model/vehicle types, the FIAT is selling relatively well considering the MINI has been around for approximately 10 years and the FIAT has been around for only 11 months. Plus, those 11 months aren't even a complete 11 months because most of the Studios weren't even operational until late Fall 2011.

From what I have also come to know, prior to the 500, the only small economy car Chrysler had in its line up was the Dodge Caliber. The 500 has trounced the sales figures of the Caliber in no time at all.

For every argument, there is a counter-argument. However, needless to say, FIAT is doing very well and will continue to do so.

VTEC Mini
02-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Let's look at the forest and not the trees. Regardless of model/vehicle types, the FIAT is selling relatively well considering the MINI has been around for approximately 10 years and the FIAT has been around for only 11 months. Plus, those 11 months aren't even a complete 11 months because most of the Studios weren't even operational until late Fall 2011.

From what I have also come to know, prior to the 500, the only small economy car Chrysler had in its line up was the Dodge Caliber. The 500 has trounced the sales figures of the Caliber in no time at all.

For every argument, there is a counter-argument. However, needless to say, FIAT is doing very well and will continue to do so.I agree- a sale for Fiat is a sale for Fiat and thats the bottom line of it.

janaheim
02-07-2012, 02:31 PM

Here we go again!

:barbershop_quartet_:barbershop_quartet_:barbersho p_quartet_:barbershop_quartet_

luckymoi
02-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Each car sold keeps the dealers active and parts available.
That's the good news for me.
Panther sold his due to driving position as I recall..... mine however continues to please me.
I never expected the cinquecento to storm the USA, the burbs here are full of
(1) SUVs
(2) Pickups
Those folks will never give up those vehicles ... the cheapest regular is $3..60 here.
So its not just about the price of gas.
In someways I don't see mini owners going for the cinquecento ( I passed on three tries at the mini), besides every mini sold is one less monster on the road

Terry
02-07-2012, 05:08 PM
I agree luckymoi. I think Mini drivers "get it", just like we do. Driving an "appliance" like an SUV or pick-up truck is just no fun at all + has an adverse effect on the old environment.
Terry

Each car sold keeps the dealers active and parts available.
That's the good news for me.
Panther sold his due to driving position as I recall..... mine however continues to please me.
I never expected the cinquecento to storm the USA, the burbs here are full of
(1) SUVs
(2) Pickups
Those folks will never give up those vehicles ... the cheapest regular is $3..60 here.
So its not just about the price of gas.
In someways I don't see mini owners going for the cinquecento ( I passed on three tries at the mini), besides every mini sold is one less monster on the road

sjmst
02-07-2012, 06:01 PM
I agree- a sale for Fiat is a sale for Fiat and thats the bottom line of it.

Right. The ONLY issue was FIAT's projection of 50,000 sales first year. That gave the press the chance to yell "FLOP!"
Had there been no estimate, or a more conservative estimate, it would be a grand slam home run with just the numbers it has thus far.

Fiat500USA
02-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Right. The ONLY issue was FIAT's projection of 50,000 sales first year. That gave the press the chance to yell "FLOP!"
Had there been no estimate, or a more conservative estimate, it would be a grand slam home run with just the numbers it has thus far.

That's the whole point. I just read something that, again, starts with the premise that Fiat sales are poor. We need to get the message out that isn't the case.

VTEC Mini
02-07-2012, 07:29 PM

That's the whole point. I just read something that, again, starts with the premise that Fiat sales are poor. We need to get the message out that isn't the case.

I agree! I can't tell you how many times some of my MINI club mates and some of my CR-Z friends kick me in the lug nuts about the failure of 50,000 sales mark. It's all in good fun and jest so their is no reason to get bent out of shape about it.

500ways
02-07-2012, 09:58 PM
I agree! I can't tell you how many times some of my MINI club mates and some of my CR-Z friends kick me in the lug nuts about the failure of 50,000 sales mark. It's all in good fun and jest so their is no reason to get bent out of shape about it.

I believe that your club mates may be saying it in jest, but what "sjmst" and "Fiat500USA" are referring to is not in jest.

They are both referring to folks with an agenda that want to see FIAT fail.

However, the best revenge is success, and FIAT is succeeding. The haters can't handle the truth. Oh well.

Fiat500USA
02-08-2012, 12:07 AM
I am serious because a lot depends on all this succeeding. We've just seen SAAB go down. Italy is in turmoil. Alfa and Lancia... I don't want to lose them. Give the talking heads a chance and they'll destroy it with one word - FAILURE. I am glad they played the ad yesterday. It shows Chrysler is committed to the Fiat brand and, in my mind, resets everything to zero. I also see a step up in promotion (Facebook contest, emails) plus things are happening that you'll see next month. March will be a good month...

janaheim
02-08-2012, 01:52 AM
I am serious because a lot depends on all this succeeding. We've just seen SAAB go down. Italy is in turmoil. Alfa and Lancia... I don't want to lose them. Give the talking heads a chance and they'll destroy it with one word - FAILURE. I am glad they played the ad yesterday. It shows Chrysler is committed to the Fiat brand and, in my mind, resets everything to zero. I also see a step up in promotion (Facebook contest, emails) plus things are happening that you'll see next month. March will be a good month...

Thanks Chris,

As I mentioned before KTLA news in Los Angeles said very nice things about both the FIAT Abarth & Chrysler ads. Also at work, I've gotten many compliments on my 500 Sport from my colleagues, co-workers and people I didn't even know. Everywhere I go people stop and stare and ask me what do I drive and when I tell them it's a FIAT, most never heard of it. I do believe that just like you said, a step-up in promotion, etc. will drive sales of the 500 up. People who have seen the 500 really like it. If they got to drive it, they'll love it. FIAT needs to drive the point harder that the 500 is affordable, well equipped, stylish, fun to drive, economical and well made. It's not just about speed or size, it's about character and the 500 has plenty of it! Forza!

Ciao,
John

VTEC Mini
02-08-2012, 01:53 AM
I am serious because a lot depends on all this succeeding. We've just seen SAAB go down. Italy is in turmoil. Alfa and Lancia... I don't want to lose them. Give the talking heads a chance and they'll destroy it with one word - FAILURE. I am glad they played the ad yesterday. It shows Chrysler is committed to the Fiat brand and, in my mind, resets everything to zero. I also see a step up in promotion (Facebook contest, emails) plus things are happening that you'll see next month. March will be a good month...Since I have subscribed to everything Fiat on Facebook I have noticed this too. I want Fiat to succeed all so. It was one of my biggest fears when I started watching Fiats reentry because they flubbed it up so bad. Nothing is for certain as you pointed out with Saab going down and that can be added to the list of Pontiac, Saturn, Geo and Mercury just to name a few. Some of these manufactures where around for more than half a century. I agree by the looks of things Fiat is starting to get it's act together and I hope they can in the future rub their critics noses in it.

PFVA63
02-08-2012, 03:12 PM

Hi,

I too really hope that Fiat succeeds, in part because I own one, but also because a lot of dealers and workers and suppliers and after market people and such have a lot tied up in bringing the car to the US and and/or supporting it that I'd hate to see them get burned and/or have to lay people off if bringing the car to the US were to fail.

However, I suspect that I'm in the minority here, but I think that the Super Bowl Ad probably wasn't such a good idea.

My biggest concern was the cost. I don't know if the ~$7 million for a 60 second ad includes any potential re-showings of the ad after the Super Bowl, but everything I've read only mentions it only as the cost for running it during the Super Bowl. As such it seems like an awfully large amount of money for a single showing. I've posted elsewhere that for $7 million they could have done so many different things that may have been more effective at getting people into the Studios. (For example if they were to give away an Abarth at each studio instead of just 3 total this would be about $22700 x ~ 200 studios = $4.54 million which would leave almost $2.5 million for advertising in cheaper venues).

Added to this is the fact that the car really isn't available yet, so that any buzz that the commercial may have generated for it may end up getting muted if/when any potential interested party contacts there local dealer and finds out that a) its not available yet but they could reserve one now though b) the Studio isn't really sure when you would get delivery of it at this time.

To me it would have seemed to make so much more sense to do something closer to the car's roll-out/real date of availability rather than spending so much money so far in advance.

In the end spending $7 million now makes me wonder how much money will be left later for once the car is finally rolled out, as well as just for advertising the rest of the Fiat line for the rest of the year.

And finally, although I know a lot of people had hoped that the commercial would make a really big splash being shown during the Super Bowl, overall it kind of seems that its impact may have been muted a bit by being shown in such an ad-crowded venue.

Looking at USAToday (http://www.usatoday.com/money/advertising/story/2012-02-07/usa-today-facebook-super-bowl-ad-meter-final-scores/53004026/1?loc=interstitialskip) it appears that based stuff from Admeter that group rated the commercial either 18th or 19th best out of 55 (it appears to have tied with an e-Trade ad for that spot). Even so though that does put it right about at the top 3rd of the commercials which is pretty good and as such it probably has drawn some attention to the car and Fiat in general.

In the end, I'm happy that it did attract some attention and such, but I just fear that it was too big an expense, especially at this time, to have been really worth it.

Pat

panther76
02-08-2012, 03:50 PM
As I mentioned in the post, the figures were used to provide a context to the 1911 cars sold. They are also to point out to people that the car is selling at reasonable rates and is not the failure that it was branded.

Where is the flaw?

only in comparing apples to apples, which is difficult as mini has several different models and it affects the numbers of what the 500 is being compared against.

i have agreed elsewhere that the new target set forth by sergio of 25,000-35,000 is reasonable and achievable. i also agree that the almost 2,000 units in january is a decent number for what is essentially a niche vehicle.

im all for fiat succeeding in a way that essures their survivability in the usa and in a way that would expand their dealer network such that many of us dont have 2 hour drives to the dealer.

maserati123
02-11-2012, 11:01 AM
I just ordered a 500 Abarth and can't wait to drive it. I don't need a MINI or a VW.Fiat had their problems in the pass, so has ALL other car manufacturers.But I am going Italian thank you.And when it grow up it will turn into a Ferrari 458

littlejohn
02-14-2012, 09:53 PM
It's amazing what a little discounting will do. That's really all they needed, and bit more exposure, all good.