PDA

View Full Version : Deals on the Abarth?

nyc eng
02-02-2012, 10:46 PM
So I was just curious if anyone was actually getting a price under MSRP? All the dealers I spoke with said MSRP and no idea if Fiat will have any cash or finance incentives.

The car I priced up comes out to msrp $25.5k and invoice is $24.3k, its not a ton of markup but if there is a deal to be had I won't shy away.

Thanks.

Felnus
02-02-2012, 11:04 PM
I'd be surprised if you could find one at a discount. There certainly won't be any cash incentives coming from FIAT any time soon. Honestly, the car is underpriced in the US compared to what it sells for in Europe.

500ways
02-02-2012, 11:07 PM
So I was just curious if anyone was actually getting a price under MSRP? All the dealers I spoke with said MSRP and no idea if Fiat will have any cash or finance incentives.

The car I priced up comes out to msrp $25.5k and invoice is $24.3k, its not a ton of markup but if there is a deal to be had I won't shy away.

Thanks.

I wouldn't count on it. Be prepared to pay MSRP which is very fair and competitive for what you get in return. Good luck!

epb
02-03-2012, 08:46 AM
MSRP will be a deal, at least in the early stages. Some places are already saying they'll ask for more than MSRP due to demand, though I don't think that will last long.

Rally555
02-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Hello

Jesse here, I just joined the forum. I am curious too about the pricing. I'm going to wait until the hype dies down, plus I would like to make sure there are no issues with production. My current car is an 08 Evo 10. Bad gas milage but so much fun to drive LOL So no hurry, but can't wait to get one.

F500
02-03-2012, 01:54 PM
I agree. if you can buy one at MSRP, that IS a deal. put yourselves in the FIAT Studio's shoes: you have a hot new vehicle, limited production, that is just released. why on earth would you, from the get-go, offer to discount it? yes, they want to build a relationship with their customers but they also need to make money.....BAD. most of the FIAT Studios are really struggling with slow sales and overstocked with inventory. to discount an Abarth now would be poor business. but also to rape a potential customer with MSRP PLUS pricing would be as well.

happy medium? sell them at MSRP and everyone can be happy. :)

nyc eng
02-03-2012, 02:05 PM
they also need to make money.....BAD. most of the FIAT Studios are really struggling with slow sales and overstocked with inventory.

That is one of the reasons I am reconsidering the Abarth. Knowing Fiat is no where near their sales targets with the 500 makes me weary of how well any of their cars will hold value due to a lack in demand.

As with any car, once these things hit the showroom floors prices will fall. The only reason I am even contemplating going on a list is because I need a new car.

fiat for life
02-03-2012, 02:28 PM
With the current demand for Abarths there is absolutely no reason to discount them.

VTEC Mini
02-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Just to echo what everyone said: Don't count on it. You might even find more adding mark up than not.

Like Epb said, I wouldn't count it lasting to long. There is a whole mess of cars coming out starting this summer in the Abarths price range with the same if not more power and some more practical and readily available.

nyc eng
02-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Just to echo what everyone said: Don't count on it. You might even find more adding mark up than not.

Like Epb said, I wouldn't count it lasting to long. There is a whole mess of cars coming out starting this summer in the Abarths price range with the same if not more power and some more practical and readily available.

I've been completely out of loop, what other cars in the same price point are coming out?

Thanks,

John

VTEC Mini
02-03-2012, 03:16 PM
I've been completely out of loop, what other cars in the same price point are coming out?

Thanks,

JohnSubaru BRZ, Scion FR-S, Hyaundi Veloster Turbo, Ford Focus ST, MINI Pacman.

nyc eng
02-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S, Hyaundi Veloster Turbo, Ford Focus ST, MINI Pacman.

Ford looks nice but the main reason I was looking at the Abarth is because of size. Living in the city I want something small so when I started looking it was between the Smart, Mini or Abarth. While not for me they certainly might impact the Abarth's sales.

grapefish
02-03-2012, 05:01 PM
While many of these cars are similar to the Abarth in HP/ton, none of them offer both a good power to weight ratio and high mileage potential like the Abarth does.

Price points for some of them and final EPA ratings for the Abarth are yet to be seen, but I'm not sure there are any cars coming soon that will compete well on both scales. That's one of the main reasons I'm so interested in the Abarth.

VTEC Mini
02-03-2012, 05:34 PM
While many of these cars are similar to the Abarth in HP/ton, none of them offer both a good power to weight ratio and high mileage potential like the Abarth does.

Price points for some of them and final EPA ratings for the Abarth are yet to be seen, but I'm not sure there are any cars coming soon that will compete well on both scales. That's one of the main reasons I'm so interested in the Abarth.

I respectfully disagree with your statement because none of these cars have been tested so their is no stats on them including gas mileage for EPA numbers never mind being pitted against each other like what Motor Trend does. I have read expected EPA for the Abarth is 32 MPG. Thats less than the Cooper S which statistically all so outperforms it going by Euro stats.

I want the Abarth for the simple fact it is different and sexy. MINI- been there done that, and the "S" has a high POS to reliable ratio falling on POS side of it, but the standard Cooper is better. Even though the others I think are great looking and they might/ might not be better performers they are still going to be a dime a dozen cars. To me that is a deal breaker.

500ways
02-03-2012, 05:46 PM

There was a red Abarth on display at the 2012 Philadelphia Auto Show. I saw it yesterday, 2/2/2012. Sweet ride!!! It was red with white striping, white mirror caps and white wheels. It had the optional leather interior too. If I remember correctly (please don't quote me), I think the window sticker read 28 city/34 highway MPG. Not bad.

500MADNESS.com
02-03-2012, 09:58 PM
We are getting one and the best we could get is sticker.

geeded
02-03-2012, 10:28 PM
28/34... Not bad, not bad at all.

I think it's getting close to time for orders to go in. I received a call from our Studio's manager and he input my order (1st in line at our dealer), so he must be getting ready for a data dump. Just sayin....

We're payng MSRP, I'm happy with that.

Cheers

Felnus
02-04-2012, 01:51 AM
Subaru BRZ, Scion FR-S, Hyaundi Veloster Turbo, Ford Focus ST, MINI Pacman.

After a quick search, I wasn't able to locate official pricing for the BR-Z, FR-S or the Focus ST but all are estimated to have a base price of $25000 or more. The MINI Paceman hasn't really been seen in production form yet and no price estimate is available. The concept car used the Countryman chassis and John Cooper Works engine so it would probably be closer to $30000 than $20000 in that form. The Veloster Turbo might come in near $23000 but, in my personal opinion, it is the ugliest vehicle offered for sale on the US market since the Pontiac Aztek.

VTEC Mini
02-04-2012, 02:49 AM
After a quick search, I wasn't able to locate official pricing for the BR-Z, FR-S or the Focus ST but all are estimated to have a base price of $25000 or more. The MINI Paceman hasn't really been seen in production form yet and no price estimate is available. The concept car used the Countryman chassis and John Cooper Works engine so it would probably be closer to $30000 than $20000 in that form. The Veloster Turbo might come in near $23000 but, in my personal opinion, it is the ugliest vehicle offered for sale on the US market since the Pontiac Aztek.

Thats with in the price capabilities of the Abarth. The Paceman is nothing more than a two door Countryman and will have the standard engines available and is estimated to start at about $24K. I can't comment on the Veloster. These cars will still be compition for the Abarth IMO.

Felnus
02-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Thats with in the price capabilities of the Abarth. The Paceman is nothing more than a two door Countryman and will have the standard engines available and is estimated to start at about $24K. I can't comment on the Veloster. These cars will still be compition for the Abarth IMO.

Again, "Value" is where the Abarth wins. Sure, you can option out an Abarth to reach $25K in price but that is where the pricing starts on these other cars(with the exception of the Veloster turbo which is not known at this point). Since the Paceman is basically a two door Countryman lets do a quick comparison. I want an Abarth in Black with no other options. $22000 without $700 destination right?

Using the Countryman's pricing options and subtracting $1000 from the base price(I'm assuming less utility will equal less price but it would not shock me if the Paceman was more expensive than the Countryman) I'll price one up to equip it similarly to a base Abarth. Starting with the Countryman S, since it has the turbo motor, minus 1K is a $24050 base price. Ok, in black, oops, thats an extra $500, $24550 now. Sport suspension, another $500, back to $25050. All season tires, no charge but no subtraction either and you know they are cheaper than summer performance tires. Heated mirrors $100; uprated sound system $750; MINI Connected for voice command, Bluetooth, and USB/iPod adapters $1250($1000 plus requires center armrest $250). Ok, now we are at $28150 which does not equal $22000. I apologize but I don't think I'm getting $6000 more car if I buy the MINI.

So lets option out the Abarth, 17" wheels $1000, standard on the Countryman S. Leather seats, $1000, $1500 on the MINI. Navigation $400, MINI $750. Automatic climate control, Sirius XM, alarm system $600; MINI $1000. Sunroof $850, MINI $1000. Ok that has the Abarth at $25850 and the MINI at $31900. I still don't see the competition here. Yes, you can say that they will both compete for the same type of buyer but there will be more buyers that can swing a $22K car versus a $28K car. Or $26K versus $32K.

GileraWarren
02-04-2012, 08:52 AM
I want the Abarth for the simple fact it is different and sexy. MINI- been there done that, and the "S" has a high POS to reliable ratio falling on POS side of it, but the standard Cooper is better. Even though the others I think are great looking and they might/ might not be better performers they are still going to be a dime a dozen cars. To me that is a deal breaker.

Well said. Some people pick the 500 and the Abarth because the "numbers" compare favorably with some other car. That's fine but I get excited every time I see one on the road because they're just plain cool. This will be my first new car in 11 years because everything else out there is just another face in the crowd and I'd be afraid of getting up the morning after and wondering why I spent money on one of them.

Dwaynek
02-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Drive a Cooper s and no one will notice, drive an abarth and you will turn heads! That is why I am trading in my sport for one!

MrFiat
02-04-2012, 11:54 AM
I want the Abarth for the simple fact it is different and sexy. --- the others I think are still going to be a dime a dozen cars. To me that is a deal breaker.

VTEC, Sorry for the paraphrase, but I think I got the sentiment right and I completely agree with it.

YES !!!!! This is the comment that struck closest to home for me! It is Exactly what Abarth brings to the table that the others cannot.

We've talked about comparing Price, Performance, Appearance, and a dozen other things, but "Name" and "Appeal" add their own unique type of Value to any product. We often gripe about paying for a "Name" but in the case of Abarth, that Name has a history of paying off BIG down the road.

I highly doubt that there is an Abarth model that was made before the turn of the century that isn't fetching a price that's at least 5 times what the original cost of the vehicle was. Often more. Case in point, my 750 Zagato. Price new about $3500. Price now, consistently over $100,000 these days at auction. To a lesser or greater extent, the same is true of Every Single One of the older Abarth models. Why? Because they're "Abarths", that's why. In my opinion, that's not likely to change.

So I'm going to have fun driving the pants off my new one and let my kids cash in on the collector value after I'm gone! Sounds to me like a LOT more fun than buying life insurance! --:cool:

nyc eng
02-04-2012, 12:33 PM
How many Abarths are they going to be building per year?

VTEC Mini
02-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Again, "Value" is where the Abarth wins. Sure, you can option out an Abarth to reach $25K in price but that is where the pricing starts on these other cars(with the exception of the Veloster turbo which is not known at this point). Since the Paceman is basically a two door Countryman lets do a quick comparison. I want an Abarth in Black with no other options. $22000 without $700 destination right?

Using the Countryman's pricing options and subtracting $1000 from the base price(I'm assuming less utility will equal less price but it would not shock me if the Paceman was more expensive than the Countryman) I'll price one up to equip it similarly to a base Abarth. Starting with the Countryman S, since it has the turbo motor, minus 1K is a $24050 base price. Ok, in black, oops, thats an extra $500, $24550 now. Sport suspension, another $500, back to $25050. All season tires, no charge but no subtraction either and you know they are cheaper than summer performance tires. Heated mirrors $100; uprated sound system $750; MINI Connected for voice command, Bluetooth, and USB/iPod adapters $1250($1000 plus requires center armrest $250). Ok, now we are at $28150 which does not equal $22000. I apologize but I don't think I'm getting $6000 more car if I buy the MINI.

So lets option out the Abarth, 17" wheels $1000, standard on the Countryman S. Leather seats, $1000, $1500 on the MINI. Navigation $400, MINI $750. Automatic climate control, Sirius XM, alarm system $600; MINI $1000. Sunroof $850, MINI $1000. Ok that has the Abarth at $25850 and the MINI at $31900. I still don't see the competition here. Yes, you can say that they will both compete for the same type of buyer but there will be more buyers that can swing a $22K car versus a $28K car. Or $26K versus $32K.

I forgot the Turbo Beetle as well.

To me this all still in the realm of a buyer to pick and choose finacially espeacially if the compition is a better performer and more readily available. In my first post I did state,"There is a whole mess of cars coming out starting this summer in the Abarths price range with the same if not more power and some more practical and readily available. These are with in range.

Right now I am not on any list for any Abarth and I don't plan to for at least a year so I can watch reliability since this would be my DD commuter. If it turns out that it can't be relied on then my next choice is the GTI. More expensive, yes it is but it is still in the range.

I agree 110% that right now the Abarth is an excellent value on paper and like I said it is beautiful and sexy! Reality is reality though and it will have more competition coming soon on top of what it has now.

VTEC Mini
02-04-2012, 01:03 PM
VTEC, Sorry for the paraphrase, but I think I got the sentiment right and I completely agree with it.

YES !!!!! This is the comment that struck closest to home for me! It is Exactly what Abarth brings to the table that the others cannot.

We've talked about comparing Price, Performance, Appearance, and a dozen other things, but "Name" and "Appeal" add their own unique type of Value to any product. We often gripe about paying for a "Name" but in the case of Abarth, that Name has a history of paying off BIG down the road.

I highly doubt that there is an Abarth model that was made before the turn of the century that isn't fetching a price that's at least 5 times what the original cost of the vehicle was. Often more. Case in point, my 750 Zagato. Price new about $3500. Price now, consistently over $100,000 these days at auction. To a lesser or greater extent, the same is true of Every Single One of the older Abarth models. Why? Because they're "Abarths", that's why. In my opinion, that's not likely to change.

So I'm going to have fun driving the pants off my new one and let my kids cash in on the collector value after I'm gone! Sounds to me like a LOT more fun than buying life insurance! --:cool:

You are a poet, prophet and a scholar my friend in the realm of Abarth.:applause::loyal::D

Your the one that said it best!

MrFiat
02-04-2012, 02:05 PM
How many Abarths are they going to be building per year?

Because the 500A is said to be "built on order", the production numbers will likely be at the whim of the market. It's my guess, that the number will be a little greater than Abarths of the past but a relatively Small number when compared to everything else that's being sold here in North America. Historically, Abarth has always been a "Niche Market" vehicle.

Consider this though: The Abarth has always been built to be driven --- Hard! And IMO that's exactly what most buyers of the new 500A are going to do. It is a sad but true case with Abarths of the past, that out of the many that were produced, a Very high percentage of them were Enthusiastically Destroyed! Those that are left were those few that were carefully preserved from new, or those that were lavishly restored after someone else had their way with it. (Now this is just an educated guess, BUT -) I see no reason why the 500A won't follow down that same path.

So, when considering the 500A as an investment, my bet is that in 40 or 50 years there won't be many left and those that are will be [ like other Abarths ] quite collectible.

nyc eng
02-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Because the 500A is said to be "built on order", the production numbers will likely be at the whim of the market. It's my guess, that the number will be a little greater than Abarths of the past but a relatively Small number when compared to everything else that's being sold here in North America.

I tried finding numbers of Abarths built previously but can't find anything. Are we talking 2,000, 5,000?

MrFiat
02-04-2012, 03:31 PM
I tried finding numbers of Abarths built previously but can't find anything. Are we talking 2,000, 5,000?

Yeah, that's because very little information is actually known. In the 60's and earlier, record keeping was sparse or non-existent at the factory. Abarth had their hand in many, many models over the years. As the company grew, so did their production. During the mid/late 50's, production was estimated at around 500 cars of various sorts. Later models like the Abarth Autobiachi A112 and the Abarth OT's numbered in the thousands. Exact numbers are anyone's guess. ??? Still the cars command a lot more now than when they were new.

Have Trumpet Will Travel
02-05-2012, 01:15 AM
Needless to say, Mr. FIAT has done a lot more research than I, but as I recall, during the "heydays" of the Abarth Skunk-Works, of sorts, old Carlo always had at least one car on the "back-burner" that he was burning the midnight-oil tinkering with. Consequently, there were a few "one-of" Abarth variants that are indeed very rare in today's market. With the "600c.c." based cars, he had a fleet of Fiat 600, 600D's, 850 Coupe/Spyder, even the 124 didn't escape the knife. To put that in perspective today we have the 2007 -up Cinquecinto with its disc-brakes, modern suspension, even A/C and power steering - it only makes good sense to "breathe-on" the little car and what more-fitting designation than the Abarth genre - YES, here I am "preaching to the choir". What I wish more than ANYthing is that my 3 brothers and my Dad could have lived to see this new-generation of FIAT-Abarth come to fruition since we owned two 750 Allemano Spyders back in the day. Here's hoping that the Abarth name once again has a good run and yet again a place in automotive history to be proud of like the first time. HTWT.

FireDave
02-05-2012, 03:48 PM
My studio is saying only 3,000 Abarths will be built a year.

Doodles
02-06-2012, 12:13 AM
I agree completely , my fiat is not just another face in the crowd.
I've had mine almost a year and I've only seen about TWO of them !
Everybody looks at it because they haven't seen one either; drivers follow me,get real close to see what it is
And most of them are smiling. I always feel a little special owning and driving it. Any other small car and you wouldn't be noticed by anyone.

Have Trumpet Will Travel
02-06-2012, 02:10 AM
VERY true Doodles, I am in a small town in the foothills of VA., next to the Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive - EXCELLENT for FIATing! (BTW, the Freak Out will be held here later this year). When I bought our 2003 Cooper "S" almost 10 years ago, I don't remember the "hype factor" being cranked to the level it is with the FIAT 500 currently. The interest in this one is off-the-charts in comparison. My nephew who play-races at V.I.R. (Alton, VA.) came up to me a month ago because the secret was out and asked "Is it an ABARTH", to which I replied: "not yet". My intent is to buy the Abarth as a 2014 model-we'll see. HTWT.

epb
02-06-2012, 08:31 PM
My studio is saying only 3,000 Abarths will be built a year.

On the one hand, that seems reasonable given their annual sales. On the other, I've learned that dealerships are a very unreliable source of info.

ahh-bert
06-24-2012, 02:48 AM
I also was wondering how many 2012's there are. The San Jose dealer claimed to be # 2 Fiat dealership nationwide (SF Chronicle had included them in top 5 a few weeks ago, so could be true) and said that they'd ordered 25 and only received 6 so far. So because I've read others are in fact going to be getting 2013's, I'm wondering if they'll actually get more 2012's. KWIM? I'm wondering how many there were going to be. My dealership said "under 3000" for 2012 but I'm not sure if that's right. They had two there today and I took the white one home (Black was super pretty though). He also said that all of the others they'd had were black and he thought that was considered the best looking color and therefore most common. What do you all think?

ahh-bert
06-24-2012, 02:49 AM
I forgot to answer the question - I paid $1000 over MSRP. What can I say? I really wanted it and they wore me down. I talked them down from the $4999 they originally said, but seriously, when we got to $1000, I was sold. :)

PapaSandro
06-24-2012, 09:21 AM
I forgot to answer the question - I paid $1000 over MSRP. What can I say? I really wanted it and they wore me down. I talked them down from the $4999 they originally said, but seriously, when we got to $1000, I was sold. :)

I am most likely picking mine up this week. They better not jack up the price from when I ordered it!

Did anyone get any special financing when they bought it...like 0% or was everyone ballers and just paid in benjamins....

CLXXV
06-24-2012, 10:45 AM
The zero percent deal excludes the Abarth. I think my dealer had 2.9 for short term loans and 3.9 for longer, but I did not use them.

lc3necro
06-24-2012, 10:46 AM
My dealer in NE Ohio stuck with MSRP, however (and I had read this on the main fiat site) he informed me that 0% is not available with the Abarths. Financing was still rather low, I snagged in the low 3% rates, and combined with trade in I'm rather happy with my current monthly payments.

ahh-bert
06-24-2012, 12:49 PM
I got 2.99%. Was told that the 0% didn't apply to Aberth. So at least on that they were consistent! :)