PDA

View Full Version : Muffler Modification for better sound

Fix it again Tony
02-02-2012, 09:53 PM
I am curious, has anyone tried altering the OEM muffler for a throatier sound? I have read on other car forums about DIY ways to drill holes or rearrange the baffles to achieve a pleasing effect for no cost. I am thinking of having a go at it myself.

Fix it again Tony
02-04-2012, 03:16 AM
What? No risk takers here?

You leave me to reply to my own thread?

Egads!

FiatPhil
02-04-2012, 11:02 AM
I have never drilled holes in a muffler. I grew up driving cars with old-style mufflers (instead of stainless) that soon enough would sound throaty on their own.

MikeThinks
02-04-2012, 01:49 PM
I have never drilled holes in a muffler. I grew up driving cars with old-style mufflers (instead of stainless) that soon enough would sound throaty on their own.

LOL, I had a 69 Olds Cutlass that sounded like it gained a few hundred more HP after a really rough set of RR tracks one night.

On topic, there are a few post of people who have installed aftermarket mufflers. I would love to have a throatier sound when I get past 3500 RPM, but don't want a constant drone on the highway or to sound like one of those over-revved rice cooker cars. Overall, the car sounds ok, but I wouldn't mind an inexpensive muffler change.

Fix it again Tony
02-05-2012, 12:18 AM

Good point!

FiatPhil
02-05-2012, 12:46 PM
....but don't want to sound like one of those over-revved rice cooker cars.

A friend of mine says I've bought a macaroni cooker because it's Italian.

FiatGusto
02-05-2012, 01:44 PM

More proof of my age; back in the '50's, 1950's not 1850's, we kids did that very thing. Yes, drilling, or punching holes
in mufflers did change the sound. Methinks now, just louder,not necessarily better. LOL.
Oh gawd we had fun.

fiat for life
02-05-2012, 02:24 PM
just get a generic magnaflow and have an exhaust shop hack the stock one off and weld on the new one.

FiaTED
02-05-2012, 06:06 PM
So tell us, how does it sound?

How much for part & labor?

any regrets?

cWade
02-09-2012, 01:43 PM
You would need to know how the muffler is constructed to determine if you can modify it easily for different sound.
On Porsche Boxsters you can insert a drill in the tail pipe and open up a chamber that will alter the exhaust note. I have no idea about the FIAT.