PDA

View Full Version : Mud Flaps for the Sport

Tink
01-30-2012, 09:34 PM
So I went to the Studio on Friday and talked to my sales guy about mud flaps. I went in and told him I was tired of my dirt butt and I think mud flaps would help to keep my back side clean. He fully agreed and said had several people put them on their car in the last week or so. As we walked over to buy the flaps he looked at me and said, wait you have a sport right? Yup, why? He then said they don't make mud flaps for the Sport. He is not sure why but he thinks it has to do with an extra piece added on the bumper.

We talked to a tech who owns a sport and he said he also wanted to add flaps to his as well but found out he couldn't get mud flaps but hadn't investigated into why the flaps don't fit the Sport. We put my car on the lift and he showed me how the flap would be put in, he thinks it could be done. But he wont do it to my car. I am not sure I want to be one that gets experimented on. However I don't like a very dirty butt either.

My question is, has anyone with a Sport added mud flaps? If you have, where did you find them?

Thanks,

Tink

FiatGusto
01-30-2012, 11:12 PM
So I went to the Studio on Friday and talked to my sales guy about mud flaps. I went in and told him I was tired of my dirt butt and I think mud flaps would help to keep my back side clean. He fully agreed and said had several people put them on their car in the last week or so. As we walked over to buy the flaps he looked at me and said, wait you have a sport right? Yup, why? He then said they don't make mud flaps for the Sport. He is not sure why but he thinks it has to do with an extra piece added on the bumper.

We talked to a tech who owns a sport and he said he also wanted to add flaps to his as well but found out he couldn't get mud flaps but hadn't investigated into why the flaps don't fit the Sport. We put my car on the lift and he showed me how the flap would be put in, he thinks it could be done. But he wont do it to my car. I am not sure I want to be one that gets exp want flaps for my Sport. Boris,please make them and we will bThanks,

Tink
I too want them for my Sport. How about it Boris!!!

janaheim
01-31-2012, 01:39 AM
I too want them for my Sport. How about it Boris!!!

I believe they are only available for the Pop and Lounge models (500madness has them). I don't think they make them for the Sport model because they are not aesthetically pleasing on it, imo. I would not buy them for my Sport, but I agree with you, you should have that option available. Maybe you can try eBay. Good luck.

Ciao

janaheim
01-31-2012, 01:42 AM
I believe they are only available for the Pop and Lounge models (500madness has them). I don't think they make them for the Sport model because they are not aesthetically pleasing on it, imo. I would not buy them for my Sport, but I agree with you, you should have that option available. Maybe you can try eBay. Good luck.

Ciao

Oops, I got ahead of myself! You did ask Boris, mea culpa.

Ciao

F500
01-31-2012, 06:37 AM
I bought them for my Sport back in July, when I got my car. they do NOT fit properly. not that you can't install them, but he Sports rear fascia (bumper cover) is shaped different than the Pop and Lounge models. the splash guard just does not line up and does not, IMO, look good, so I returned them.

I'll just wait patiently for FIAT to come up with some OE splash guards, front and rear, for the Sport. love the look of the molded OE ones....just want them to fit properly.

Tink
02-01-2012, 02:28 AM
I bought them for my Sport back in July, when I got my car. they do NOT fit properly. not that you can't install them, but he Sports rear fascia (bumper cover) is shaped different than the Pop and Lounge models. the splash guard just does not line up and does not, IMO, look good, so I returned them.

I'll just wait patiently for FIAT to come up with some OE splash guards, front and rear, for the Sport. love the look of the molded OE ones....just want them to fit properly.

I guess I better buy stock in car washes. I seem to be there often. Thanks for letting me know that they don't fit correctly.

tink

F500
02-01-2012, 09:18 PM
I guess I better buy stock in car washes. I seem to be there often. Thanks for letting me know that they don't fit correctly.

tink

I 'tink' you have a point there! :p

Fix it again Tony
02-19-2012, 09:06 PM
True, the rear of this car shows more dirt more quickly than any car I have ever owned.

Tink
02-21-2012, 03:37 AM
True, the rear of this car shows more dirt more quickly than any car I have ever owned.

Yup. But I have found a temp solution. If you wash the back window it is VERY easy to wipe down the whole back side with a few paper towels. At least once a week (sometimes twice a week) I pull into my local gas station to clean the back of the car. Some day I may get smart and just pop a roll of paper towels in the back so I can wipe it down at home. I just haven't progressed that far yet.

On a side note, I love that I so rarely have to put in gas in my car or even think about putting gas in my car. Today I looked at the tank because it occured to me I couldn't remember when the last time I filled up was. I still have 1/2 a tank. I love my car!!!!

Fix it again Tony
02-28-2012, 01:16 AM
Yup. But I have found a temp solution. If you wash the back window it is VERY easy to wipe down the whole back side with a few paper towels. At least once a week (sometimes twice a week) I pull into my local gas station to clean the back of the car. Some day I may get smart and just pop a roll of paper towels in the back so I can wipe it down at home. I just haven't progressed that far yet.

On a side note, I love that I so rarely have to put in gas in my car or even think about putting gas in my car. Today I looked at the tank because it occured to me I couldn't remember when the last time I filled up was. I still have 1/2 a tank. I love my car!!!!

Paper towels and window squeegees at gas stations will scratch the paint, not a great idea. (IMHO)

Fazzster
02-28-2012, 03:08 PM
This was the same deal when I had a Mini. I solved it by mounting Rally Armor flaps. They now offer a "universal" set. Some people don't like the look of a rally style flap but to each his own. They do the job as opposed to the molded splash guards which really offer little protection.

Fix it again Tony
02-28-2012, 08:53 PM
This was the same deal when I had a Mini. I solved it by mounting Rally Armor flaps. They now offer a "universal" set. Some people don't like the look of a rally style flap but to each his own. They do the job as opposed to the molded splash guards which really offer little protection.

By "Rally Flaps", do you mean the ones that protrude at an angle outward?

Fazzster
02-29-2012, 10:22 AM
By "Rally Flaps", do you mean the ones that protrude at an angle outward?

Indeed, as demonstrated in the picture.

FiaTED
03-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Can the mudflaps for Pops and Lounges be painted to color match body?

Anybody?

Bueller? Bueller?

DavidF
10-02-2012, 11:50 PM
I just ordered splash guards for my sport and am awaiting delivery. I was just here on the forum for some install tips and found this thread.
The 'on-line' ad (from a FIAT dealer) said nothing about not fitting the sport. And the picture looked correct. Isn't it a bit unfair for ads to not explain this?

Fiat Boy
10-03-2012, 07:18 AM
Fazzster,

How did you fasten those flaps? That is, how did you install them? Did you use a bracket or just screw them into the plastic body works?

Thanks, Fiat Boy

FiatGusto
10-03-2012, 11:24 AM
I too found an EBay seller saying they fit all models.
However, when I specifically asked about fitting my Sport, he said no they don't.
Maybe yours will. If so, we would all like to know as many of us would buy them.

DavidF
10-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Well there is no joy in mudville. The splash guards do not fit my SPORT. I have now sent an email to the seller asking for return! Along with the gear shifter that doesn't fit a manual shifter!
Maybe someday SPORT owners will get guards designed to fit for both front and back. And maybe better advertising disclosure will save us all time, trouble and money.

So I am now batting 3 out of 5. :0(

CSCS
10-03-2012, 09:03 PM
California car duster $10 @ Walmart. Keeps my Nero looking good between washes.

panther76
10-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Well there is no joy in mudville. The splash guards do not fit my SPORT. :0(

nice play on words. with a 1/2 mile dirt drive, i hope someone offers an OE guard for our sports soon, because early and late winter are indeed mudville.