PDA

View Full Version : Cold air intake

Fix it again Tony
01-30-2012, 02:16 AM
Has anyone installed a Competizione cold air intake?

janaheim
01-30-2012, 03:07 AM

I don't know if you gave your user name any thought at all, but the one you are presently using is in very bad taste. it is a slap in the face to everyone here who owns a FIAT. Please have the courtesy to change it. Thank you.

epb
01-30-2012, 04:00 AM

Never even heard of one - where do you get them?

PS - the user name's fine by me.

janaheim
01-30-2012, 04:16 AM
Never even heard of one - where do you get them?

PS - the user name's fine by me.

Check 500madness: http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=cold+air+intake+ram+competizione&product_id=591.

Ciao

Chris
01-30-2012, 08:30 AM
http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?4355-Cold-Air-Intakes-thoughts-and-questions&highlight=Competizione+cold+intake

sjmst
01-30-2012, 12:35 PM
I don't know if you gave your user name any thought at all, but the one you are presently using is in very bad taste. it is a slap in the face to everyone here who owns a FIAT. Please have the courtesy to change it. Thank you.

I have a CAI from Mopar. Nice. I'd recommend it.

Oh, and as much as I am a wise guy, your user name may not be popular, but to each his own.

And welcome! :eagerness:

tensleep
01-30-2012, 01:58 PM
I have a CAI from Mopar. Nice. I'd recommend it.

Oh, and as much as I am a wise guy, your user name may not be popular, but to each his own.

And welcome! :eagerness:

I agree with everything here. FWIW, the Mopar CAI will not void/compromise the FIAT warranty (according to my studio manager), since it was developed specifically for the MultiAir 1.4L in our cars. This is not an indictment of other aftermarket CAI; it just so happens that I inquired while in my studio regarding the MOPAR intake and exhaust, specifically. I don't have the intake yet; gotta get window film first.

500MADNESS.com
01-30-2012, 06:56 PM
We have the Competizione one installed in one of our cars and the Injen installed in the other. Honestly, I cannot tell the difference between the two. Both gave a nice performance boost and both sound nice.

If you want to keep your factory plastic engine cover on or have an automatic the Competizione is your only option. If you do not care about the plastic cover or have a manual then either one will work fine along with the Mopar unit.

As far as warranty goes...

The manufacturer cannot void your warranty due to an intake being on the car. The only way they can void the warranty is if they can prove the part you installed did the damage you are trying to get repaired under warranty. Trying to void a warranty because you installed an aftermarket part is against the law.

Here are the details of the law:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

500MADNESS.com
01-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Just an FYI...

We have installed both Competizione and Injen Intakes on MADNESS Edition Cars that were and are being sold by FIAT New Car Dealers across North America.

unknown_eyes
01-30-2012, 08:24 PM
If you want to keep your factory plastic engine cover on or have an automatic the Competizione is your only option.

So to clarify, you are stating that only the competizone kit will work with the automatic??? I have looked at these kits on YOUR website and others and nowhere in the item descriptions does it state that these are for manual transmission cars only! I had intended to purchase the mopar kit in the near future to install on my automatic lounge. Very disappointed to hear this and just wanted a clarification as I have no interest in the competizone product.

Fiat500USA
01-30-2012, 09:03 PM

Welcome to the forum! You, or anybody for that matter, can PM me if you would like a name change.

500MADNESS.com
01-30-2012, 10:39 PM
So to clarify, you are stating that only the competizone kit will work with the automatic??? I have looked at these kits on YOUR website and others and nowhere in the item descriptions does it state that these are for manual transmission cars only! I had intended to purchase the mopar kit in the near future to install on my automatic lounge. Very disappointed to hear this and just wanted a clarification as I have no interest in the competizone product.

I cannot confirm on whether or not the Mopar unit will fit the automatic. We have installed tbe Competizione unit on the automatic and it fits. The Injen one will not and we state that in the product description.

Let me check on the Mopar unit and I will let you and others know.

tensleep
01-31-2012, 10:13 AM
We have the Competizione one installed in one of our cars and the Injen installed in the other. Honestly, I cannot tell the difference between the two. Both gave a nice performance boost and both sound nice.

If you want to keep your factory plastic engine cover on or have an automatic the Competizione is your only option. If you do not care about the plastic cover or have a manual then either one will work fine along with the Mopar unit.

As far as warranty goes...

The manufacturer cannot void your warranty due to an intake being on the car. The only way they can void the warranty is if they can prove the part you installed did the damage you are trying to get repaired under warranty. Trying to void a warranty because you installed an aftermarket part is against the law.

Here are the details of the law:

Thanks for the link!

I read through it and found this statement in the wiki link:

The federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use, including a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance.

I realize that I am taking this out of context, but this is where the studio has room to prove an aftermarket part may have caused problems. Conversely, it does put the burden of proof on the warrantor, so document your efforts well!

Fix it again Tony
02-01-2012, 03:00 AM
Thanks! I think I'll get one. 500 Madness wants $329, Hot Fiat wants $249. Hmmm....

500MADNESS.com
02-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Thanks! I think I'll get one. 500 Madness wants $329, Hot Fiat wants $249. Hmmm....

It sounds like HotFiat is thrown in the towel and clearing out his old stock. The $249.99 price with Free Shipping is below cost and well below the manufacturers suggested price. I have personally checked with the manufacturer and they have informed me that they have not sold ANY product to HotFiat for many months and also think they are simply getting rid of older model stock that they had on hand.

The Competizione Intake has had some revisions lately and all the new versions have a new bracket that mounts the intake piping better then the old/original version. All the units we have in stock are the new versions, not the old.

The manufacturer confirmed after checking that they have not supplied any of the new versions to HotFiat. Due to this we can state that the other vendor is clearing old an older model and they are doing it below cost.

Hope that helps explain things a bit better.

500MADNESS.com
02-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the link!

I read through it and found this statement in the wiki link:

The federal minimum standards for full warranties are waived if the warrantor can show that the problem associated with a warranted consumer product was caused by damage while in the possession of the consumer, or by unreasonable use, including a failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance.

I realize that I am taking this out of context, but this is where the studio has room to prove an aftermarket part may have caused problems. Conversely, it does put the burden of proof on the warrantor, so document your efforts well!

As long as you do regular maintenance (cleaning the filter as recommended) you should not have any issues.

500MADNESS.com
02-01-2012, 02:44 PM
[QUOTE=500MADNESS.com;547850]It sounds like HotFiat is thrown in the towel and clearing out his old stock. The $249.99 price with Free Shipping is below cost and well below the manufacturers suggested price. I have personally checked with the manufacturer and they have informed me that they have not sold ANY product to HotFiat for many months and also think they are simply getting rid of older model stock that they had on hand.

The Competizione Cold Air Intake has had some revisions lately and all the new versions have a new bracket that mounts the intake piping better then the old/original version. All the units we have in stock are the new versions, not the old.

The manufacturer confirmed after checking that they have not supplied any of the new versions to HotFiat. Due to this we can state that the other vendor is clearing old an older model and they are doing it below cost.

This is a picture of the new upgraded intake pipe. Note the new bracket...

FiaTED
02-01-2012, 05:46 PM
:disturbed::black_eyed::black_eyed::devilish::devi lish::pig:
It sounds like HotFiat is thrown in the towel and clearing out his old stock. The $249.99 price with Free Shipping is below cost and well below the manufacturers suggested price. I have personally checked with the manufacturer and they have informed me that they have not sold ANY product to HotFiat for many months and also think they are simply getting rid of older model stock that they had on hand.

The Competizione Intake has had some revisions lately and all the new versions have a new bracket that mounts the intake piping better then the old/original version. All the units we have in stock are the new versions, not the old.

FiatGusto
02-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Would some of you younger folks explain this post. In your face etc.....

Fiat500USA
02-02-2012, 12:47 AM
:disturbed::black_eyed::black_eyed::devilish::devi lish::pig:

ygm

FiatGusto
02-02-2012, 12:51 AM
And that means????

SeaDawg
02-02-2012, 01:03 AM
And that means????

You've
Got
Mail

And that is NOT necessarily a good thing when the poster is the System Administrator.

Fix it again Tony
02-02-2012, 02:17 AM
Thank you 500 Madness for clearing up this price issue. Perhaps you could update your website to include this information, as I assumed it was identical product. It certainly looks the same in both catalog photos. I have CAI units on all of my automobiles, and know that a simple bracket can mean the difference between stellar performance and well, disaster. Years ago I experimented with building my own units out of various materials only to discover that a quality engineered CAI is well worth the money, even at today's prices. That being said, "below cost" sounds awfully tempting....

As for the folks fretting over the warranty aspect, I have never had an issue with Volkswagen, Jeep, BMW or Toyota in this arena. In fact, they seem to welcome it since it shows that you are not simply spending your disposable income on racing stripes and two hundred dollar chrome gas caps, but are instead investing in a quality performance upgrade which greatly improves the overall health of your engine and reduces the chance of any warranty issue at all.

Which gets me back to my original question: Has anyone actually installed a Competizione CAI on their Fiat 500, either new version or old, who can see past my moniker and provide me some insight regarding its everyday practicality and function?

That would be swell. Then I can get on with my next question regarding exhaust.

Caio, F.I.A.T.

Fix it again Tony
02-02-2012, 02:38 AM
Thank you 500 Madness for the clarification. The units certainly appear to be the same in both catalogs.

As for the warranty aspect, I have CAI units on all of my cars, and have never had an issue with the manufacturers in this regard. Not Toyota, BMW, Jeep, or Volkswagen. In fact, they seem to like the idea that I have made a quality performance upgrade which greatly improves my engine's vitality. They might even deduce that I actually change my oil more often than most folks.

But really, my original question was: has anyone installed a Comeptizione CAI on their 500 who can see past my moniker and advise me of it's everyday practicality and performance?

Ciao, F.I.A.T.

Fix it again Tony
02-02-2012, 03:26 AM
Well now....

FiaTED
02-02-2012, 03:10 PM
IMHO,If you want performance you should not have bought a 101 HP automatic (and paid an extra $1000 or so for the automatic)

Fiat500USA
02-03-2012, 01:48 AM
IMHO,If you want performance you should not have bought a 101 HP automatic (and paid an extra $1000 or so for the automatic)

There's nothing wrong with wanting to upgrade whatever you have. If I were to tell you I lost my leg in a crash, does that mean I shouldn't enjoy modifying my car for a little extra performance? Luckily it's not the case with me but maybe you get the point.

fiat for life
02-03-2012, 01:50 PM
What a hilarious, unique, creative, original and fun username. Ive never heard that before FIX IT AGAIN TONY. That spells out FIAT how humorous

FiaTED
02-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Silly point

SeaDawg
02-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Silly point

You'll have to learn to endure humor dripping with sarcasm in these forums.:encouragement:

FiaTED
02-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Couldn't find the humor, I'm ok w/sarcasm especially in a dead pan delivery

janaheim
02-03-2012, 03:44 PM

I had a problem with it at the beginning but I decided to fiated it away!

Ciao
:highly_amused:

SeaDawg
02-03-2012, 03:59 PM

I guess I'm confused. I thought you were referring to Fiat For Life's sarcastic commentary on the other person's username. If you are referring to the username 'Fix It Again Tony', well some people just like to tweak other people's sensibilities.

I suspect if this thread goes much farther we'll all get reminded by the Moderator to try to 'be nice and get along'.:joyous:

FiaTED
02-03-2012, 04:00 PM
I guess I'm confused. I thought you were referring to Fiat For Life's sarcastic commentary on the other person's username. If you are referring to the username 'Fix It Again Tony', well some people just like to tweak other people's sensibilities.

I suspect if this thread goes much farther we'll all get reminded by the Moderator to try to 'be nice and get along'.:joyous:

Too late I already did, lol

500MADNESS.com
02-03-2012, 10:05 PM
Thank you 500 Madness for clearing up this price issue. Perhaps you could update your website to include this information, as I assumed it was identical product. It certainly looks the same in both catalog photos. I have CAI units on all of my automobiles, and know that a simple bracket can mean the difference between stellar performance and well, disaster. Years ago I experimented with building my own units out of various materials only to discover that a quality engineered CAI is well worth the money, even at today's prices. That being said, "below cost" sounds awfully tempting....

We just updated our listing and included a picture of the new updated intake. If you scroll through the pics in the description you will see the new picture we put up. When we get a chance we will make a whole new set of product photos.

Right now, I literally have 20+ products that we are in the process of taking pics and posting up on the site in the days ahead. So, it is on the list as soon as I can get to it.

In regards to the intakes. I have an Injen on my wifes and the Competizione on mine. They both work great, but the new bracket makes it a better unit then the first generation, plus I can put the engine cover back on for that stock look if I want.

Fix it again Tony
02-04-2012, 03:08 AM
Well, I just installed the Competizione intake (early version) and I see where the new mounting bracket would be an improvement. I will probably modify mine in a similar way, but the price from Hot Fiat was simply too good to pass up. The performance is amazing in my 5 speed Sport, the increase in torque making itself immediately and dramatically noticeable. Plus the sound from the engine compartment is much, much better, and lets me know when to actually shift gears. I had often caught myself sitting at 6000 rpm in third gear because the overly-quiet stock sound didn't alert me that I should think about advancing to fourth. The engine cover is gone now which probably adds to the new sound, since I had to ditch that to install the chrome upper suspension cross brace that I got from 500 Madness. (Looked better than the red one from the other outfit). Sheesh! Now I can dive into the corners like never before! I highly recommend both of these modifications to all of you. And now, feeling almost Italian, and being the carefree idiot that I am, I am going to rip off the muffler and see what I can do to make it sound...well, Italian! This thing is simply far too well made to be a Fiat!

Besides, if I break something I can always....fix it again!

Caio, Tony

Fix it again Tony
02-04-2012, 04:02 AM

Actually, I drove a Fiat 500 while attending San Diego State some thirty years ago, so I might have a little more experience with this Fiat legend than many of you clever folks out there. This is why I travel with not one, but TWO rolls of duct tape at all times. Six years from now, when I am a double-senior-platinum member and you all are griping about the myriad of components which are simply falling off of your nice automobiles, you'll get it.

Schwebel
02-04-2012, 04:08 AM
I have a feeling 500madness.com is going to eat alot of my tax return......lol. I really want to see that torque charger come out soon, hopefully it is still in the works.

Fix it again Tony
02-04-2012, 04:17 AM
I have a feeling 500madness.com is going to eat alot of my tax return......lol. I really want to see that torque charger come out soon, hopefully it is still in the works.

Torque charger?

Schwebel
02-04-2012, 07:15 AM
On the Madness forum they made a mention of a supercharger kit in devlopment and testing. They called it the Torq charger.

500MADNESS.com
02-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Well, I just installed the Competizione intake (early version) and I see where the new mounting bracket would be an improvement. I will probably modify mine in a similar way, but the price from Hot Fiat was simply too good to pass up. The performance is amazing in my 5 speed Sport, the increase in torque making itself immediately and dramatically noticeable. Plus the sound from the engine compartment is much, much better, and lets me know when to actually shift gears. I had often caught myself sitting at 6000 rpm in third gear because the overly-quiet stock sound didn't alert me that I should think about advancing to fourth. The engine cover is gone now which probably adds to the new sound, since I had to ditch that to install the chrome upper suspension cross brace that I got from 500 Madness. (Looked better than the red one from the other outfit). Sheesh! Now I can dive into the corners like never before! I highly recommend both of these modifications to all of you. And now, feeling almost Italian, and being the carefree idiot that I am, I am going to rip off the muffler and see what I can do to make it sound...well, Italian! This thing is simply far too well made to be a Fiat!

Besides, if I break something I can always....fix it again!

Caio, Tony

Glad you liked both of the mods!

500MADNESS.com
02-04-2012, 01:47 PM

One of the best ways to enjoy that tax return is by visiting www.500MADNESS.com! LOL!

In regards to the Torque Charger...

The project has been put on hold. Our partners that were developing the kit could not allocate enough time to the project and after working with them for a while we decided that they were simply not going to be able to provide the type of product support that we would require from a partner if we were to offer their product line to our fellow drivers.

If we decide to offer a product/service that requires a substantial investment from us and from a customer we need to make sure the company we are working with will be there to take care of any issues that may arise with use. If a company fails to deliver on their promises and/or has poor communication then we will unfortunately parts ways. If I would not install an item on my own car, my wife's car or sell it to my own friend or family member then we will not offer the product to our fellow drivers/customers. It is not always about making a quick buck. We are here for the long run and if we offer you a product we have to stand behind it.

After months and months working on this project our good feelings went away and we decided to move on. So, sorry no Torque Charger. Whether or not, they choose to move forward with it and release it on their own is their choice, but we are out.

As some of you may know we have been turbocharging smart cars for about 3 years now (two this week alone). We have had a good, reliable partner that worked with us to develop and manufacture a bolt in turbo kit for the smart (they do many other cars as well). We have been in talks about doing a kit for the current 500 and it can be done and done reliably, but here are the issues:

1. If we offer a kit, it will be a complete bolt on solution that a home mechanic is able to install in their garage. The kit would contain everything needed (every clamp, bolt and etc). All you do is bolt it in place.
2. Engine management would be taken care of as well.
3. In order to make the upgrade a reliable one we would have to keep the power upgrade to about 20HP. Any more then this would require upgrading many other components of the car. We could offer more power, but our concern is durability. With the smart turbo upgrade we have well over 100 cars running around, many with over 50,000 on the turbo and zero failures!
4. The cost of the kit would probably be in the range of $3,000-4,000 (complete)

Because of the price we are not sure if there is a market for this since you could buy an ABARTH starting at $22-23K.

We would need to put our about 20-30 kits to cover our development costs. Honestly we do not know if the market is there or not. Perhaps you, the community can tell us....

vincenstein
05-07-2012, 01:13 AM
So... did we ever find out what intakes fit the Automatic, and Why others don't
I like the mopar one cause it has a water safety feature. thank you Madness

bryanintowson
05-10-2012, 03:10 PM
So... did we ever find out what intakes fit the Automatic, and Why others don't
I like the mopar one cause it has a water safety feature. thank you Madness

As I understand it - the MOPAR kit will fit the automatic and the manual. I believe it says says so on the product description:

http://500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=40_63&product_id=828