PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts of changing dash panel color, is it easy?

I love pizza
01-28-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm considering the possibility of changing the dash panel which normally matches the exterior to match the seat color instead. Does anyone know if that requires removing the entire dash or is it a simple pop in and out kind of thing. The last thing I would want is to have to remove the entire dash and risk rattles afterwards.

blefevre
01-28-2012, 11:38 AM
I'm considering the possibility of changing the dash panel which normally matches the exterior to match the seat color instead. Does anyone know if that requires removing the entire dash or is it a simple pop in and out kind of thing. The last thing I would want is to have to remove the entire dash and risk rattles afterwards.

I am interested in this too. I plan on changing my Abarths white dash panel to red.

I love pizza
01-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Great minds think alike:chuncky:

I'm planning on the red leather on my Abarth and want the dash to match.

sjmst
01-28-2012, 11:50 AM
It is pretty easy. I swapped out the matte gray Prima Edizione dash for a body colored red dash. Best "mod" I ever made.

Here is how it is done:
First you need to pry off the bezel around the AC controls. The flat part that surrounds them. Underneath that you will find two 25 torx screws. Then open the glove box, inside there you will find under the air vent another 25 torx screw. Remove the three screws and simply and gently pry the cover off. The display for the radio has some wires and screws that must be addressed, and the buttons ("sport," etc)must be detached, but no big deal. That takes care of the right side. The left just needs to be gently pryed off. There are clips only on that side.
Use a soft pry tool made out of plastic so that you don't scratch anything.

phattbam
02-04-2012, 02:35 PM
anyone gone to the dealership to see how much they go for? I'm looking for black as I would like to remove my red. :D

fiat for life
02-04-2012, 02:58 PM
I cant remember off the top of my head but back when I bought the dash panel for the swap I believe a fresh red painted one was around $200

smoove7410
02-04-2012, 03:02 PM
I think it would be nice to see it covered in leather or alcantara. It wouldn't actually be that difficult to pull off.

phattbam
02-04-2012, 03:13 PM
I cant remember off the top of my head but back when I bought the dash panel for the swap I believe a fresh red painted one was around $200

do you think colors make a difference in pricing?? I might have other plans on it

I think it would be nice to see it covered in leather or alcantara. It wouldn't actually be that difficult to pull off.

May want to try this myself

fiat for life
02-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Color has no effect on price

phattbam
02-06-2012, 01:25 AM
Color has no effect on price

thanks. good to know.

FiaTED
02-06-2012, 12:37 PM
I love my white dash, thats one of the reasons why I picked a FIAT. I must admit Red would look good too with my red seats. Please dont get me started on more modifications, Im still hurting from the down payment, lol

4Mula1
10-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Hi everyone. This is my first post here.
I recently came across some 500 dash pieces. So I wrapped one set in black carbon fiber from 3M. I thought I would find a 500 community
to post these on . Since this thread was already questioning changing dash color I thought I would post a few pictures.
Here is the before.
After

phattbam
10-21-2012, 03:24 PM
curious to know if the chrome trim pieces were easy to remove?

AbarthUSA
10-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Yes, they pop right off.

Thad
10-22-2012, 01:34 PM
...and if you are going to take the dash apart, why on earth would you want to keep that Sport button that defaults to 'off'. Check out my modification to have Sport mode default to 'on'. http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?6912-Auto-ON-Sport-button

eklass
10-24-2012, 02:38 PM
Hi everyone. This is my first post here.
I recently came across some 500 dash pieces. So I wrapped one set in black carbon fiber from 3M. I thought I would find a 500 community
to post these on . Since this thread was already questioning changing dash color I thought I would post a few pictures.
Here is the before.
After

Any chance you could provide some guidance on how to swap the panels? It seems like there's some sort of adhesive holding the color panels to the dash, but the information I've heard is inconsistent. The videos online only show disassembling the dash, not the actual method of swapping colors.

I picked up the MAGNETI MARELLI one from 500 Madness.

Thanks in advance!

Haring
10-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Any chance you could provide some guidance on how to swap the panels? It seems like there's some sort of adhesive holding the color panels to the dash, but the information I've heard is inconsistent. The videos online only show disassembling the dash, not the actual method of swapping colors.

5th post down on this page (couldn't find a thread on this forum about it):
http://www.fiat500owners.com/forum/26-fiat-500-diy-section/798-anyone-know-how-remove-dash.html

eklass
10-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks Haring, but I only see info on removing the dash -- I still don't see any information on heating the adhesive and swapping the color panels themselves. Perhaps a photo will help to illustrate?

Notice my new carbon fiber panel does not have the clips, etc. to hold it into place. Does one simply use a heat gun to separate the two pieces? Then how are they re-attached?

Haring
10-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Most the dash pieces you take off the one color panel and replace it with another. I'd think what you have would come with instructions. Maybe Madness just didn't include. My guess is you're glueing that to your current stock piece.

That's odd...just checked Madness' site and it says "a direct replacement for stock item". I'm confused now.

eklass
10-24-2012, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I've called them a couple times and the instructions seem to be "use a heat gun to melt the adhesive. re-stick and voila"

Unfortunately, I don't understand exactly how to heat it best, i.e. from the front or rear. Nor how to re-attach. Will the adhesive be left over on the mounting pieces that I'll re-use, or will I need to apply epoxy?

I've scoured the net several times looking for any pictures, etc., but there appears to be a distinct lack of such instructions. Although I'm pretty good with tools, etc., this is making pretty nervous.

At this point, I'd be happy just to hear from an mechanic familiar with the Fiats to provide a couple sentences of guidance.

Thad
10-26-2012, 12:54 PM
If you follow this link to Facebook, you'll see how to remove the panel with three screws. https://www.facebook.com/notes/thad-kirk-sr/fiat-500-dash-panel-removal/10151218952108410

eklass
10-26-2012, 01:07 PM
If you follow this link to Facebook, you'll see how to remove the panel with three screws. https://www.facebook.com/notes/thad-kirk-sr/fiat-500-dash-panel-removal/10151218952108410

Thanks, thanks for the link. However, if you look at my post above and the photo I posted, you'll see the problem is that the panels I received do not contain the mounting plastic. My understanding is that a heat gun is needed to melt the adhesive and separate them.

Haring
10-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Yeah, I've called them a couple times and the instructions seem to be "use a heat gun to melt the adhesive. re-stick and voila"

Unfortunately, I don't understand exactly how to heat it best, i.e. from the front or rear. Nor how to re-attach. Will the adhesive be left over on the mounting pieces that I'll re-use, or will I need to apply epoxy?

Wow...for the price you'd think it would just be a take old dash off & then put new dash on. Or, even mail them your current pieces and they do it and send them back.

AbarthUSA
10-26-2012, 01:59 PM
eklass, you can just pry the pieces apart on your original panel with a wide flat screwdriver, I used a panel puller. You will need to epoxy them on to the new carbon piece. I put the MM carbon dash on mine. It's a little bit of work, but well worth it in the end. Where are you located? If your near me, I'd be glad to do it for you, I love to work on this car.

Thad
10-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Wow. Yea. They are sort of melted together. Parts of it look like a hot screwdriver tip is used to melt them together. Some glues don't adhere to the plastic too. When I had my dash apart I had part of it separate from the mounting portion. The glue I tried didn't hold so I did what it looked like the factory did and heated a screw driver and melted them together.

Fiat500USA
10-26-2012, 04:59 PM
I have a how to coming up on installing the carbon fiber dash. Working on it now. Stay tuned to the blog...

4Mula1
10-27-2012, 11:33 AM
I would trade this set for an iphone 4 if anybody is interested.

Fiat500USA
10-27-2012, 12:41 PM
Hope this helps: Fiat 500 Abarth Carbon Fiber Install (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2012/10/fiat-500-abarth-carbon-fiber-dash.html)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-tV9z4M13Ojw/UIwNR4EJuLI/AAAAAAAAOFs/sRmV5d6w0kE/s640/Fiat500USA.com%2520carbon%2520fiber%2520dash.jpg