PDA

View Full Version : Xenon Lights

Thomas
01-23-2012, 07:16 PM
I was kind of hoping that our Abarth would at least have the option for HD lights. The UK Abarth brochure liste Xenon lights as standard. I will follow up with dealer (sorry studio) to see if they will have a kit.

luke_vibert_uk
01-24-2012, 12:06 PM
The UK Abarth brochure liste Xenon lights as standard. I will follow up with dealer (sorry studio) to see if they will have a kit.

They are an option, not standard.

There are generic retrofit kits available on the net which enable you to use HID projector units in Halogen Bulb Headlamps BUT...

They are usually from China and of poor quality
They usually dazzle other drivers...
The Beam spread is uncontrolled and scattered...
They do not incorporate the auto levelling and wash features as required by EU type approval (they specify it for a reason, not because they can)
The 500s fitted with HIDs IMO look odd with the "White" HID headlamps, "Amber" DRLs...
They can sometimes have an undesired effect of CANCAN/CANBUS type systems in cars
and ultimately getting them to fit IS going to be a squeeze.

Retrofit of OEM lamps is not usually a simple swap - load level sensors, additional modules/wiring, lamp units etc,=.

My old car had directional 'intellegent' HIDs and the headlamp units alone were 1200 each - 2400 for the pair!

Thomas
01-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the useful information Luke. I double checked the Abarth brochure that I got from the Goodwood Festival of Speed, and they are definitely listed as standard. Oh, well. Maybe what they refer to as Xenon are something else. In any event, it sounds like it might not be worth the trouble and expense. Are the lights that are available as an option those ones that you refer to as the poor quality ones from China, or are they different ones?

luke_vibert_uk
01-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the useful information Luke. I double checked the Abarth brochure that I got from the Goodwood Festival of Speed, and they are definitely listed as standard. Oh, well. Maybe what they refer to as Xenon are something else. In any event, it sounds like it might not be worth the trouble and expense. Are the lights that are available as an option those ones that you refer to as the poor quality ones from China, or are they different ones?

Depends which model you are looking at...

The base Abarth 500 and those fitted with Esseesse kits, and fitted with HIDs have definitely had them fitted as an option...mine has normal Halgoen headlamps and a look on the online configurator suggests 511 Xenon option price + tax.

The units fitted to the 695's, 'usually' come with them as standard as part of the 'Special' term. I 'think' the A500c also has them as standard...need to check

It's easy to tell the two apart - from head on the HID have the round projector in the middle of the lamp and a small silver quadrant which is the headlamp washer head.

On comparison to the aftermarket kits, they are worlds apart. The aftermarket kits in my opinion are totally unsuitable and dangerous, and as of 1st January this year, illegal fitted to any car in the UK....but people still do.

Leopoldo Fachini
09-27-2012, 02:46 PM
Hey Luke, I have just posted a new thread about these xenon headlights.
I just bought mine from E-bay-UK, and they came complete, with xenon kit and the washers for the headlamps. But my car version (currently fitted with the standard halogen headlights) is equivalent to Europe's "Pop" version. It turns out that the electrical plugs are different on the xenon version, and I do not know if the washer's water bomb have enough pressure to work for windshield and headlights at the same time.

Do you know something about it or somewhere where I could find these specific infos (Abarth washers waterbomb pressure and part number for the headlight plugs)?

thanks for your time!

greetz

Pinecone
09-28-2012, 06:17 AM
You do realize the in the UK they drive on the wrong side of the road?

And that lheadlights are designed differently for left hand drive and right hand drive?

And using right hand drive lights in a left hand drive country will lead to blinding oncoming drivers?