PDA

View Full Version : tapatalk ?

eatworksleepdie
01-17-2012, 02:18 PM
For mobil browsing!
It's free to install on the server side (eg., free for the forum), but a charge to the end user. The software is available on Android (I have it on my Sprint EVO) and also available on the iphone.

http://tapatalk.com/

If you decide to install on the server side, you'll need to create an account, then follow the instructions. It's pretty straight forward, I installed it about a month ago on michiganvw.org. It didn't take long.

Also, Android users can get the mobil tapatalk application on their device for FREE at: http://www.getjar.com/mobile/237628/tapatalk-for-google-nexus-one/?ref=0&lvt=1319132773&sid=dqd3i9xxlrobm5fl&c=j51g3 89ur3o4i6aw14&lang=en (http://www.getjar.com/mobile/237628/tapatalk-for-google-nexus-one/?ref=0&lvt=1319132773&sid=dqd3i9xxlrobm5fl&c=j51g389ur3o4i6aw14&lang=en)

Please note, the above link is not spam!
I installed it on my phone by following that link and it worked perfectly. You have to jump through a couple hoops, but IMO, it's worth it to not have to pay the $2.99 fee!

LMK if you have any questions, I'd be glad to help get it set up! ;)

BillE
01-18-2012, 05:32 PM
to eatworksleepdie:

I have Tapatalk on my android (HTC) and would like to add this forum. I've typed "Fiat 500 USA Forum" into the Search feature and I've tried finding it using the Browse feature....but no results in either case. I must be doing something wrong.....any idea?

By the way, what's LMK mean, as in "LMK if you have any questions, I'd be glad to help get it set up!"

Cheers.

eatworksleepdie
01-18-2012, 05:54 PM
"LMK" = Let Me Know
You won't find anything because it's not installed on the server side currently.
This thread is posted in the "Suggestions" forum. I was hoping the powers at be here, could install Tapatalk on their server so we as the end user could browse the forum on our handheld devices. I'm an end user like yourself and am looking to get it installed as well so I may check out Fiat500usaforum.com on my mobile device too!

SeaDawg
01-18-2012, 05:59 PM
"LMK" = Let Me Know
You won't find anything because it's not installed on the server side currently.
This thread is posted in the "Suggestions" forum. I was hoping the powers at be here, could install Tapatalk on their server so we as the end user could browse the forum on our handheld devices. I'm an end user like yourself and am looking to get it installed as well so I may check out Fiat500usaforum.com on my mobile device too!

Try sending the Moderator a PM....would probably be more fruitful.

eatworksleepdie
01-18-2012, 06:15 PM
message sent.

Fiat500USA
01-19-2012, 12:55 AM
Hi all, sorry for the slow response.

Yes, I've been looking into it. As long as everyone likes it and it is trouble free, I'm game. I have some updates coming here soon, I'll see what I can do....

eatworksleepdie
01-19-2012, 10:19 AM
As mentioned in PM, no rush! I know how life can get in the way! I have way too many things going on myself right now, so I feel ya. :D

grapefish
01-19-2012, 11:12 AM
I've got it installed on the forum I run (http://www.hordelandsecurity.org) as well, and it's been trouble-free.

There's also a new mobile style in the latest version of vB that's a nice option. Feel free to check it out on my site.

BillE
01-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Thanks, eatworksleepdie, for the explanation on both counts.

grapefish
02-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Any updates on this? I know you're busy and it can be hat to find time for forum work, but the zooming and scrolling and misclicks on the iPhone interface are getting frustrating. :-)

eatworksleepdie
02-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Funny too because when you typed your message grapefish, I was trying to type something similar, but it took me about 7 or 8 minutes, so I gave up. haha.

Tapatalk is sweet. We need it on the Fiat forums for sure! and again, if you need any help with installation fiat500usa, lmk.

Fiat500USA
02-25-2012, 02:22 AM
Hi All,

I've been kicking around the Tapatalk and the vBulletin mobile app. There's a concern about folks paying $2.99 to Tapatalk or having to deal with ads. Of course, vB cost $$$ but I have more control over it. Something will happen though, I promise! Thanks for everyones patience and sorry for the cramps in your scrolling finger! LOL

eatworksleepdie
02-25-2012, 07:54 AM
Hi All,

I've been kicking around the Tapatalk and the vBulletin mobile app. There's a concern about folks paying $2.99 to Tapatalk or having to deal with ads. Of course, vB cost $$$ but I have more control over it. Something will happen though, I promise! Thanks for everyones patience and sorry for the cramps in your scrolling finger! LOL

Thanks for the consideration!! Just a reminder that Android folks don't pay through that link I gave in one of the first threads, iphone people would have to pay the 2.99 though. Also, I think you know this, but there's no charge to fiatusaforum.com. To help build the case, :smug: there's currently 25,167 forums using Tapatalk!

haha, cramps in the scrolling finger, that's great. :D whatever you decide, I'm good with of course. But I'll be better if you decide to install it! haha.

grapefish
02-25-2012, 07:31 PM
You can also install both Tapatalk for those who want to get the mobile app, and the vBulletin Mobile Theme for people who prefer to use the browser.

The latest update to the mobile theme solved the issues we were having, so it's all good now.

eatworksleepdie
05-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Just sitting here messing around on my ipad at Golling Fiat wishing, waiting, hoping that Tapatalk will be installed soon. :) lolz.

I have to say tho, the Dolphin browser on the iPad is a much better/smoother browsing experience an Safari! But Tapatalk would be the bees knees!

BillE
05-08-2012, 11:49 AM
......But Tapatalk would be the bees knees!

+1

I have an android phone and use Tapatalk for several other forums. It would be so nice to be able to use it for this great forum....seriously! For example, when travelling I could easily look for info from other members about local studios and other things.

Fiat500USA
05-08-2012, 12:19 PM
I just got done talking to someone about this very subject and now see this post. Yes, I haven't forgotten about this and, again, apologize for the delay. It went on the back burner as vBulletin had a few updates that added some mobile support and I wanted to see how that went. There is now a mobile version of Fiat 500 USA Forum that you can choose in the style picker on the bottom left of the forum.

Does anyone use vBulletin mobile suite here? I am leaning towards that because I don't want folks bombarded with ads or have them pay $2.99 to Tapatalk to use the forum. Do people pay that much? If I used vbulletin, I may charge like .99 cents to cover vBulletin's cost and their subscription fee. I'm not a real phone app user, so don't have a lot of experience in using them.

shil
05-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Tapatalk rocks. I use it for a couple of bike forums. I paid the $2.99.
If a user doesn't want to use Tapatalk, that's fine. They can continue to access the forum the way they always did. It's not like the forum goes away once Tapatalk's enabled.
I do not know if vBulletin mobile suite and Talpatalk are compatible. I've never heard of vBulletin mobile suite. Everyone uses Tapatalk.

BillE
06-09-2012, 01:57 PM
..........It went on the back burner as vBulletin had a few updates that added some mobile support and I wanted to see how that went. There is now a mobile version of Fiat 500 USA Forum that you can choose in the style picker on the bottom left of the forum.....

Hi Chris,

Just want to let you know that I've tried on-and-off over the last couple of weeks to find/use the style picker you mentioned to select a 'mobile' version. Using my android (HTC smartphone) there's a un-labeled pull-down which (when pulled down) shows "Quick Style Chooser". However, it doesn't do anything.

If you're still even remotely considering Tapatalk, it works quite well.

Regards,
Bill E

Fiat500USA
06-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Hi Chris,

Just want to let you know that I've tried on-and-off over the last couple of weeks to find/use the style picker you mentioned to select a 'mobile' version. Using my android (HTC smartphone) there's a un-labeled pull-down which (when pulled down) shows "Quick Style Chooser". However, it doesn't do anything.

If you're still even remotely considering Tapatalk, it works quite well.

Regards,
Bill E

Yes, that is still in the works. Again, my apologies. The update to the latest vBulletin and then the upgrade to the faster Data Center really put me behind, plus May was a personal disaster for me with a death in the family and another family member in the hospital for three weeks. I appreciate everyone's patience.

I have also have an Android (Samsung Intercept), and I can select "default mobile style." I checked the settings and supposedly anyone can select the theme. I'll look more into it. Check it in a day or so and let me know how you make out.

Ferrero1911
06-10-2012, 01:39 AM
I would pay the 2.99 for tapatalk just based on what others have said about it. I don't check this forum as often as others because I'm usually on my phone and the browser version is hard to see.

Just my 2 cents.

BillE
07-10-2012, 11:10 AM
.......I have also have an Android (Samsung Intercept), and I can select "default mobile style." I checked the settings and supposedly anyone can select the theme. I'll look more into it. Check it in a day or so and let me know how you make out.

Hi Chris,
Just wanted to let you know that I've been checking on and off since your posting (including again today) and am still not able to select mobile style. BTW, my android is a HTC Inspire 4G (AT&T).
Cheers.

redred
10-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Any further movement on this? I am an avid tapatalk user and it would be great to add this forum to my list. Also using Autoguide but would prefer tapatalk.

Jjm4life
10-19-2012, 01:52 PM
^^ this. Very useful from an iPhone.

BigHoss
10-20-2012, 05:20 AM
I check tapatalk on my iPhone just as much as Facebook! This would be much appreciated if this forum migrated there too!

cerebrix
11-16-2012, 11:16 AM
necro bump

any updates on this?

my plan is to make this my #1 fiat forum. i browse mostly from my phone now as well

EliRider
11-16-2012, 11:26 AM
I have been discussing with Chris about improving the mobile experience.

In the meantime, I use the mobile profile on my iPhone that works fairly well. TapaTalk would be a welcome addition for sure.

Chris is attempting to understand how TapaTalk impacts web site click thru as this is a key mechanism in keeping this site alive. For those that want to help, you can upgrade your account to a Premium or Lifetime status for a nominal fee. This is a small token in helping fund our forum. Upgrading your account is not necessary but something to consider.

Will keep all posted on developments.

EliRider
11-16-2012, 11:34 AM
In addition, both Chris and I want to say how much we appreciate all the great comments, postings and support by this community. Its wonderful to hear comments like this forum would be your #1 Forum!

Thanks all for your feedback.

Fiat500USA
11-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Thanks Ed and everyone,

There are four issues I need to get a handle on:
1. From what I understand, Tapatalk impacts the number of pageviews the site gets. I may be wrong but that is what I hear.
2. The vendor's ads aren't seen and are not clicked on and that is what helps keep us alive.
3. Tapatalk costs $2.99 for folks who want to use it. I'm reluctant that members would have to pay that much.
4. I've been waiting for vBulletin's mobile app to mature and offer that as an addition to those who need a mobile app. The reason I like vBulletin is that I can offer that for a nominal cost to members (99 cents? to cover the cost and yearly maintenance) and I have someone who can set it up for me. The downside is vbulletin seems to have been dragging its feet on the development of this and that has really slowed this whole process.

If someone who knows can offer some insight on the above, that would help. I've been trying to research this all while running the Blog and the Forum and haven't found a definitive answer to the concerns. The ideal situation for me would to offer both, so I just may have to jump into vBulletin and see what happens.

redred
11-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Just speaking from personal experience since I have joined a few of the Fiat 500 forums: this forum is the one I view the least only because I am on my mobile a lot. If there was a Tapatalk version I would be on it a lot more. I know you can browse the forum using a browser, but the experience just isn't the same to me. Plus - a huge benefit of Tapatalk & Autoguide - you get to select the option to view only the topics you have participated in. It saves having to subscribe to each and every thread but it keeps you up to date if you want to follow up on threads you may have found interesting and commented on.

Not sure if this is a viable option, but I would happily pay a small fee to "upgrade" my membership in order to browse on Tapatalk if that helps offset the ad income. In other forums that I belong to, I pay membership fees to avoid all the advertising as well as get access to bonus material that isn't offered to the general public.

EliRider
11-18-2012, 11:04 AM
I can understand Chris's concerns... This is not a simple decision as this can change ones business model.

Q: Will I lose revenue from my current web properties?

A: Tapatalk app is an optional service to your members - it drives more engagement and participation to your forum. While you may lose some pageviews up-front, in a long run you will have a more engaging forum as people are free to post new content on-the-go. Though we also have Link Affiliation (Powered by VigLink) and Donation (Mobile Payment) integration to help you earn extra revenue.

http://www.tapatalk.com/faq.php

http://www.tapatalk.com/pricing.php

http://www.tapatalk.com/rebranding_faq.php

When someone promotes something for "free"... There is always a catch. :)

EliRider
11-18-2012, 11:21 AM
How to enable "Mobile" viewing

Select "Settings" (found in the upper right corner of page)

Goto "General Settings" (located on left center menu - "My Settings, My Account")

Under "Miscellanous Settings", under "Forum Skin" choose "Default Mobile Style"

You can return to full screen mode by selecting "Full Site" link located at the bottom of the page.

Using mobile view on smartphones is a better alternative experience on smaller displays than full site mode. I have not figured out a way to switch from "full view" back to "mobile" other than logging out, then back in. This would be a nice future feature to support.

stevenvillatoro
11-18-2012, 09:46 PM
Thumbs up for Tapatalk.

stevenvillatoro
03-30-2013, 05:23 PM
Any TapaTalk progress? I've been using it daily for the last couple of months, and really love the ease of use.

redred
05-10-2013, 04:23 PM
Another bump for a Tapatalk update. Any thoughts?

Fiat500USA
05-12-2013, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the reminder. I would love to implement Tapatalk but I am waiting for them to address an issue that is of concern to me and other forum owners.

Here is one of the main problems. Now that Tapatalk has been available for a few years forum owners are reporting substantial decreases in revenue because ads aren't displayed.

Now before people start screaming it's all about the money I feel I need to address something. Contrary to the misinformation spread by a couple of individuals who seem bent on assassinating my character, this place isn't some proxy company set up to bilk money out of vendors or people. I am one person ( OK, a hardcore Italian car enthusiastgr_grin) that happens to have two very popular Fiat sites. This forum was set up as a place where Fiat fans could talk about the cars and I could interact with the community more efficiently than the blog site, it wasn't set up as some huge revenue generating scheme. To give you an idea, I still work a full-time job. As time went by, the site has grown exponentially and what was initially funded out of my pocket has now been augmented by vendors who want to be part of and support the community and by members who have generously become premium and lifetime members. I thank each and everyone of you for the support. My main goal is to be able to grow and maintain the site now and in the future, so the issue of reduced revenues is concerning. You can read the concerns of forum owners here on Tapatalk's forum (http://support.tapatalk.com/threads/an-open-message-to-the-tapatalk-developers.15374/) to get the picture. It pains me greatly to see anyone possibly shy away from the forum because of the lack of Tapatalk, so I do take everyone's comments seriously and into advise. I am hoping that someone (Tapatalk?) can assuage my worries about this.

I understand that TT seems to have a great product and am really looking forward to them addressing this issue. While we are waiting, I'll be updating vBulletin and anticipating the mobile skin working better.

I thank everyone for coming and visiting the site, especially those who have to play around with apps that may be less convenient than the ones they prefer.

redred
05-12-2013, 03:44 AM
Thanks for the update Chris. Completely understand.

Perhaps an "upgraded" membership option to access the forum thru Tapatalk? Can't speak for the general community, but I know I would gladly pay a nominal fee to have access to this forum through Tapatalk.

I am a moderator on another forum and we have a variety of membership options available. You would be surprised how many members (out of the 27,000+ members) happily pay a fee every month just to not see any ads.

AudiGuy
02-27-2014, 04:52 PM
I would LOVE to have tapatalk!! Posting pictures on the regualr site is a pain. I can understand the hesitation regarding sponsors click rate though.

EliRider
03-02-2014, 01:33 AM
Here is the thread on the TapaTalk forum... basically there is no business value for sites like this one that depends on pageviews... great for vendors and end users.

I tried very hard to uncover BKMs with the TapaTalk support community but came up empty handed. I really like this app and use it for other sites however this really hurts traditional revenue streams.

https://support.tapatalk.com/threads/an-open-message-to-the-tapatalk-developers.15374/#post-78641

jason3d
09-05-2014, 01:34 AM
The tough thing for sites that rely on page views is that more and more users are browsing on mobile devices and using Tapatalk to do so, so a lot of traffic is probably going elsewhere. I personally do about 80-90% of forum browsing on Tapatalk. It does seem like another business model needs to be worked out. Maybe a free account for traditional browser and paid option for Tapatalk capabilities but not sure if it can be configured to work that way. I know other forums just charge vendors to have a presence in the vendor classified sections, but probably still not as much revenue as they would get from traditional browsers that have adsense ads.

asaulo1
09-15-2014, 01:28 PM
I'm late to the party but is it a cost issue? I'm sure our membership would be willing to pony up to get this site on tapatalk... I'd be the first one to contribute to that fund for sure.... just a suggestion, if it hasn't been thought of yet...

eatworksleepdie
09-15-2014, 01:39 PM
Tapatalk is free for both the site admins and users. Their used to be a charge for users, and it's always been free for admin/server installs. There's no charge for it to be installed. Fiat500USAforum obviously doesn't want to install it, based on the lack of response. It literally takes a laymen such as myself to install it server-side no more than 30 minutes, that's with reading through the instructions etc. (I installed it on a different message board I help run).

B3NN3TT
09-15-2014, 03:04 PM
That's a shame. Out of all the automotive forums I frequent, there are only 3 that aren't available on Tapatalk. The other two (besides this one) are on the Autoguide network, which is a whole 'nother can of BS.

Tweak
09-16-2014, 08:26 PM
I will make sure the Admin is aware of the interest in this guys. I personally do not have the ability to make it happen but he might be interested if he realizes there is enough users interested. I know in 2012 and 2013 he saw and replied, maybe something has changed since that time.

Fiat500USA
09-16-2014, 09:37 PM
Still waiting for them to address the issues discussed earlier in this thread. Looking for other possibilities, too. If someone has a suggestion, PM me. Thanks!

junnyquest
09-17-2014, 04:05 PM
As an aside, there are lots of unhappy customers lately, voicing there opinions on tapatalk's Play Store site. Links being redirected to tapatalk sites, constant ads, error messages, etc.

Tapatalk? No thanks.