PDA

View Full Version : Gear knob broke

Mini Cord
01-12-2012, 09:37 PM
I read it in another post but now I can't find it.

Well, my gear knob from my sport broke off too, without doing anything out of the ordinary, other than shifting gears, and the car is not even a week old with 300 km.

I'll go to the dealer on Monday.

Dwaynek
01-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Standard or automatic?

Mini Cord
01-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Standard.

Fiat500USA
01-13-2012, 12:59 AM
Standard.

That's wild. There is a bolt that hold it down. Did it come loose? Did the top separate from the bottom? Post a pic if you can.

Mini Cord
01-13-2012, 07:38 AM
It's exactly the same damage as the other person reported.

The top chrome part broke right around where the bolt grabs that piece. I'll take pictures soon.

The part is a brittle plastic and with the winter temperatures and the fact that the plastic is only a few mm thick means that sooner or later it's going to break.

fiat for life
01-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Ive actually seen that happen before. the plastic around the bolt cracks and the silver piece pops right off dunno why

Mini Cord
01-13-2012, 11:59 PM
Yep, that's exactly it!

Sorry still no picture.

500MADNESS.com
01-14-2012, 07:02 PM
Yep, that's exactly it!

Sorry still no picture.

Mini Cord....

You have a Moke? I have a '71 Moke that I restored. 1293 with disk brakes, 13" wheels, modified suspension and etc.

500MADNESS.com
01-14-2012, 07:07 PM

Well, my gear knob from my sport broke off too, without doing anything out of the ordinary, other than shifting gears, and the car is not even a week old with 300 km.

Another option is upgrading to one of these:

http://www.500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=79

These are much higher quality and are a direct replacement for the factory knob.

Doodles
01-14-2012, 07:54 PM

http://www.500madness.com/500madness/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=79

These are much higher quality and are a direct replacement for the factory knob.

120.00 for a gear shift knob ?
You must be %^*#%^ kidding me.
Are they made out of gold?
They aren't worth anymore than 20.00 if it includes free shipping.

tensleep
01-14-2012, 09:50 PM

Those are some beauties - I was eyeballing them the other day, but you didn't have nearly as many selections at that time. I have a friend who owns his own machine shop, so I know what it costs to put these out and the prices for the quality is excellent. I would love to have one of these as a jewel in my car. I guess I had better same my pennies and work some ot!

Dwaynek
01-14-2012, 10:06 PM
Bought the black auto shifter from 500 madness expensive but excellent quality. Well worth the price!

Mini Cord
01-14-2012, 11:35 PM
500 Madness, yes I have a Moke too.

Mine is a British Austin Mini Moke 1965, all original including the bulletproof 850 cc engine. Pictures in my garage.

Also a 1991 Rover Mini Cooper, all original but needs to be restored.

Mini Cord
01-15-2012, 01:30 AM
Ok, not my picture but is exactly the same damage as mine. This was taken from the Fiat 500 Canada facebook page.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/5831/38610510151039505605562.jpg

I see Fiat replacing more in the future, the stuctural plastic is just too thin.

Fiat500USA
01-15-2012, 02:08 AM

These knobs are high quality ones made in Italy. Not for everyone and not cheap, flimsy ones made in China. The $20 knob is like the one that broke off on the car and I bet it costs more than $20 at the dealer.

Also, let's be mindful of remembering the rules here where we respect everyone including the vendors that support this community.

General Rules and Guidelines for posting on Fiat 500 USA Forum (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?4146-General-Rules-and-Guidelines-for-posting-on-Fiat-500-USA-Forum)

SeaDawg
01-15-2012, 02:14 AM
Ive actually seen that happen before. the plastic around the bolt cracks and the silver piece pops right off dunno why

This is the 1st winter for these cars so I am assuming you didn't see this happening in very cold weather. This is the first occurence I've noted in the forums. I haven't had any problems with my shift knob, 5 spd MT in the 7 months I've had the car. I'll admit I don't speed shift or put a lot of stress on the shifter; those days are well past, for the most part. Any input on the causes of the ones you saw before?

janaheim
01-15-2012, 03:01 AM
These knobs are high quality ones made in Italy. Not for everyone and not cheap, flimsy ones made in China. The $20 knob is like the one that broke off on the car and I bet it costs more than $20 at the dealer.

I agree. My shift knob is stock, and it does feel cheap and flimsy. I will be paying 500Madness a visit after I do my taxes, they're only 16 miles from my house. One of the things I'll be getting is one of those nice knobs by Black. My car is a Grigio Sport. Any suggestions? I'll be also getting the custom pedal set and door sills.

Ciao

Fiat500USA
01-15-2012, 03:41 AM
I agree. My shift knob is stock, and it does feel cheap and flimsy. I will be paying 500Madness a visit after I do my taxes, they're only 16 miles from my house. One of the things I'll be getting is one of those nice knobs by Black. My car is a Grigio Sport. Any suggestions? I'll be also getting the custom pedal set and door sills.

Ciao

I have the same color car and it was a tough choice. I picked a carbon fibre knob. Here is the install on my car: Installing a shift knob by Black (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2011/08/fiat-500-accessories-installing-shift.html)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ttZhLOlcGGs/TkvUx0lpttI/AAAAAAAAI48/UJ6bEwG-b6g/s640/Fiat500USA-Fiat_500_Shift_Knob_Install%252520047.JPG

janaheim
01-15-2012, 06:26 AM
I have the same color car and it was a tough choice. I picked a carbon fibre knob. Here is the install on my car: Installing a shift knob by Black (http://www.fiat500usa.com/2011/08/fiat-500-accessories-installing-shift.html)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ttZhLOlcGGs/TkvUx0lpttI/AAAAAAAAI48/UJ6bEwG-b6g/s640/Fiat500USA-Fiat_500_Shift_Knob_Install%252520047.JPG

Thank you, I have some ideas, including yours that I like a lot.

Grazie

MrFiat
01-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Ok, not my picture but is exactly the same damage as mine. This was taken from the Fiat 500 Canada facebook page.

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/5831/38610510151039505605562.jpg

If it were me and I was trying to save a few dollars, (and the car was out of warrantee) I'd put a small spot of RTV Silicon rubber adhesive in the center of the old cap and set it back in place. Once the RTV sets, it'll hold well and still be able to be removed without harming anything beneath it. Just a thought for whatever it's worth.

KhalilWilliams
01-15-2012, 10:59 AM

I would pay $120.00 for that. Especially if it's of a higher quality! Then again, that's just me.

500MADNESS.com
01-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Those are some beauties - I was eyeballing them the other day, but you didn't have nearly as many selections at that time. I have a friend who owns his own machine shop, so I know what it costs to put these out and the prices for the quality is excellent. I would love to have one of these as a jewel in my car. I guess I had better same my pennies and work some ot!

Thanks!

We do not make them, but they are of excellent quality and look sharp. We actually have many more then what we have on our site at this time and more on the way. As soon as I get some more time I will take more pics and add the new arrivals.

500MADNESS.com
01-15-2012, 05:58 PM
500 Madness, yes I have a Moke too.

Mine is a British Austin Mini Moke 1965, all original including the bulletproof 850 cc engine. Pictures in my garage.

Also a 1991 Rover Mini Cooper, all original but needs to be restored.

Very nice!

Mine is the Australian Model. I found a rusted out shell about 8 years ago and ended up restoring it. I also have a '66 Mini Wagon that is our daily driver from home to the shop. We have a 14 year old Australian Shepard that goes to the shop with us every day, so we usually take the wagon since it is easy for our dog to hop in and out of it and she has lot of space in the back.

500MADNESS.com
01-15-2012, 06:02 PM

Also, let's be mindful of remembering the rules here where we respect everyone including the vendors that support this community.

General Rules and Guidelines for posting on Fiat 500 USA Forum (http://www.fiat500usaforum.com/showthread.php?4146-General-Rules-and-Guidelines-for-posting-on-Fiat-500-USA-Forum)

You are 100% correct! In this case I can honestly say you get what you paid for.

All I was doing is offering an option for those that may think about upgrading to something nicer and better made. As far as getting something for $20... Good luck. Unless you buy a generic Chinese Gear Shift Knob (which will not work on the FIAT 500) you cannot get anything for $20 or anything close to that that will work on our cars.

500MADNESS.com
01-15-2012, 06:04 PM

Ciao

Look forward to having you visit. As far as suggestions go I would suggest you swing by and we will show you all the 100's of combinations available. We can try as many as you like until you find the perfect one.

talindsay
01-19-2012, 12:00 AM
Thanks!

We do not make them, but they are of excellent quality and look sharp. We actually have many more then what we have on our site at this time and more on the way. As soon as I get some more time I will take more pics and add the new arrivals.

So I actually love the look of the stock shift knob (crazy, perhaps, but it strikes me) but I hate the light plasticky feel - my other car is a Mazda and its unattractive rubber shifter has a nice, heavy and solid feel to it.

So two questions: First, are these knobs good and heavy, and are they solid metal? Second, since you have them in front of you, what's the one that most closely resembles the stock knob? I have a 5MT - which I suspect is obvious since automatic-types wouldn't use the shifter enough to care about how it feels.

Fiat500USA
01-19-2012, 12:21 AM
So I actually love the look of the stock shift knob (crazy, perhaps, but it strikes me) but I hate the light plasticky feel - my other car is a Mazda and its unattractive rubber shifter has a nice, heavy and solid feel to it.

So two questions: First, are these knobs good and heavy, and are they solid metal? Second, since you have them in front of you, what's the one that most closely resembles the stock knob? I have a 5MT - which I suspect is obvious since automatic-types wouldn't use the shifter enough to care about how it feels.

I also like the look of the stock knob, so it made choosing an aftermarket knob harder. However, I love the Black knob. it is solid and heavy, plus looks like it belongs.

SeaDawg
01-19-2012, 02:08 AM
I also like the look of the stock knob, so it made choosing an aftermarket knob harder. However, I love the Black knob. it is solid and heavy, plus looks like it belongs.

I like the look of the stock knob also so I am thinking of getting a chrome top with red bottom as I have a red car and have the Black shift boot with red stitching. Thinking seriously of trying to get one of the stock Arbath steering wheels with the red stitching when they show up in the system. They may beat the Black wheels...which I don't think have red stitching and aren't currently available anyway for N.A. cars.

fiat for life
01-20-2012, 01:55 PM
My ONLY qualm with the 500s interior is the shifter. The stock one sucks. Its too light and cheap feeling. And its not terribly ergonomic. I prefer the Abarth shifter. And Ive yet to see an after market one thats similar to the Abarth.

SeaDawg
01-20-2012, 02:52 PM
My ONLY qualm with the 500s interior is the shifter. The stock one sucks. Its too light and cheap feeling. And its not terribly ergonomic. I prefer the Abarth shifter. And Ive yet to see an after market one thats similar to the Abarth.

I just hope that TWM will release the short shifter they're developing for the 500 before I pass to the other side. You're lucky; you've got lots more time before you even get old!:encouragement:

fiat for life
01-21-2012, 11:59 AM
I hope it doesnt take that long

500MADNESS.com
01-24-2012, 05:07 PM
I like the look of the stock knob also so I am thinking of getting a chrome top with red bottom as I have a red car and have the Black shift boot with red stitching. Thinking seriously of trying to get one of the stock Arbath steering wheels with the red stitching when they show up in the system. They may beat the Black wheels...which I don't think have red stitching and aren't currently available anyway for N.A. cars.

We have a shifter knob that has a chrome top and a Red bottom!

In regards to steering wheels... We shipped some NA steering wheels to BLACK to be redone and will have some great looking options shortly.

500MADNESS.com
01-24-2012, 05:11 PM

The knobs are all solid metal. The BLACK knobs are Aluminum, but heavier and more solid then stock.

If you want something the is much, much more solid and heavier we also have some made for us that are about 2x heavier then the BLACK ones. We made several of them for race cars that we sponsored and the feedback was so positive we ended up making several versions and we now offer them through our site. They are available in a Satin Stainless Steel Finish and Black powder coat.

talindsay
01-24-2012, 06:42 PM
The knobs are all solid metal. The BLACK knobs are Aluminum, but heavier and more solid then stock.

If you want something the is much, much more solid and heavier we also have some made for us that are about 2x heavier then the BLACK ones. We made several of them for race cars that we sponsored and the feedback was so positive we ended up making several versions and we now offer them through our site. They are available in a Satin Stainless Steel Finish and Black powder coat.
Sweet, I've been thinking since I like the look of the stock knob I might go with chrome top, black bottom. But my 500 is blue so I was also thinking about blue top, black bottom. Does the blue BLACK knob (heh) match the blue paint? If not, I'll def. go chrome top, black bottom.

500MADNESS.com
01-25-2012, 12:46 PM
Sweet, I've been thinking since I like the look of the stock knob I might go with chrome top, black bottom. But my 500 is blue so I was also thinking about blue top, black bottom. Does the blue BLACK knob (heh) match the blue paint? If not, I'll def. go chrome top, black bottom.

The Blue is almost an exact match to the factory color.

500ways
01-25-2012, 01:05 PM

Whatever you choose, the quality of their products is second to none!!!

unknown_eyes
01-25-2012, 04:28 PM
I got a shift knob in carbon fiber with ivory trim ring made by black and can say that this knob is TOP quality and has a nice heavy, solid feel to it. I would highly recommend it and it IS worth the cost!!! I would imagine that the manual shift knob is just a good in quality as my auto version!

talindsay
01-26-2012, 10:26 AM

Thanks. I chickened out about the blue matching because if it was slightly off it would drive me crazy; I just ordered a black top, chrome bottom knob. Can't wait to get it and see what I think!

FiaTED
02-01-2012, 04:17 PM
I would pay $120.00 for that. Especially if it's of a higher quality! Then again, that's just me.

Agreed. Quality isn't cheap. I'll be getting mine from 500 Madness along with some other goodies.

Mini Cord
02-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Well, I got the part replaced under warranty, but, the original piece ain't cheap.

They charged a 0.20 h to do the job plus the part. The total was $ 96.00. Seen from that point, the BLACK one that madness sells is not that expensive.

talindsay
02-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Thanks. I chickened out about the blue matching because if it was slightly off it would drive me crazy; I just ordered a black top, chrome bottom knob. Can't wait to get it and see what I think!

Thanks Madness for a smooth and easy order, got the new shift knob today and put it on in the parking lot of an ice arena while my daughter was skating. Total install time, including removal of the old knob, was maybe 3 minutes - super simple. The BLACK knob is not especially heavy but much heavier than the stock knob, and it has a really solid feel to it - instead of the plastic-fantastic feel of the stock shifter, the BLACK feels substantial. I noticed that with the BLACK knob I don't notice the plasticky feel of the reverse lifter as much, I guess because I'm no longer squeezing plastic to plastic.

I don't know about the other BLACK knob finishes, but the actually black top of mine has a matte finish that has a soft touch to it - it's not squishy or anything, but has a soft touch. The chrome underside, of course, does not have a soft touch - so the all-chrome knob would feel a bit different from this one.

Anyway, this post is worthless without pictures, so here's a few:

FiatPhil
02-02-2012, 11:58 AM

I've noticed so many times in so many posts it's usually a Mini Cooper owner that has something break on the Fiat. I'm not that rough on my cars. I've never had a shifter knob break in my entire driving experience of 42years.

In fact I've had nothing go wrong with my Fiat 500. I couldn't ask for a better built car.

Mini Cord
02-02-2012, 06:36 PM
I've noticed so many times in so many posts it's usually a Mini Cooper owner that has something break on the Fiat. I'm not that rough on my cars. I've never had a shifter knob break in my entire driving experience of 42years.

In fact I've had nothing go wrong with my Fiat 500. I couldn't ask for a better built car.

Good for you!!!

First, I'm a Classic Mini Cooper owner, big difference there. The Mini and the MINI are two different cars that happen to share a general look and a name.

Second, I'm pretty sure you don't know me, and you have never seen me driving my cars so you can't possibly know if I'm rough with my cars. You just can't generalize like that.

After talking with the service guy, he told me there's a good reason why it broke, the chrome cap was not installed properly from the factory. There was a gap of about 1 mm between the black and chrome halves, so the bolt area was receiving all the stress, and plastics are not good at dealing with stress at very low temperatures.

FiatPhil
02-03-2012, 06:03 PM
I don't care about the difference between a Classic Mini Cooper and a MINI as I'll never buy either one.

KhalilWilliams
02-04-2012, 12:38 AM
I don't care about the difference between a Classic Mini Cooper and a MINI as I'll never buy either one.
I would have wanted to go for a classic MINI if more were in existence in the present day. I would have wanted a modern MINI if they weren't so doggone expensive! $20,200 for a Cooper Hardtop 1.6?! :grey: Really, MINI/BMW!? That price left me really cold, yet happy that I'm primarily shooting for a 500. :)

KhalilWilliams
02-04-2012, 12:42 AM
Thanks Madness for a smooth and easy order, got the new shift knob today and put it on in the parking lot of an ice arena while my daughter was skating. Total install time, including removal of the old knob, was maybe 3 minutes - super simple. The BLACK knob is not especially heavy but much heavier than the stock knob, and it has a really solid feel to it - instead of the plastic-fantastic feel of the stock shifter, the BLACK feels substantial. I noticed that with the BLACK knob I don't notice the plasticky feel of the reverse lifter as much, I guess because I'm no longer squeezing plastic to plastic.

I don't know about the other BLACK knob finishes, but the actually black top of mine has a matte finish that has a soft touch to it - it's not squishy or anything, but has a soft touch. The chrome underside, of course, does not have a soft touch - so the all-chrome knob would feel a bit different from this one.

Your shift knob is sick! That's just along the lines of what I would want for a MT shift knob with the 500!

janaheim
02-04-2012, 01:22 AM
Your shift knob is sick! That's just along the lines of what I would want for a MT shift knob with the 500!

I agree. I really like it. It matches the interior of the car well.

500MADNESS.com
02-04-2012, 02:00 PM

Thank you for the positive review!

Glad you like it!!!

allenm
02-09-2012, 02:02 PM
The plastic silvery cover on my pe standard shifter popped off. Happened in very cold temps. For now I just put some 2 sided tape between the cover and the shifting mechanism, I'll plan to get it looked at next service.

Allen in Vermont

Doodles
02-09-2012, 09:31 PM
The plastic silvery cover on my pe standard shifter popped off. Happened in very cold temps. For now I just put some 2 sided tape between the cover and the shifting mechanism, I'll plan to get it looked at next service.

Allen in Vermont

A little superglue cures all, I superglued mine on the inside where it separated , it will last forever.
I like my shifter so I,m keeping it.

tensleep
02-10-2012, 11:53 AM

I agree. I really like it. It matches the interior of the car well.

Thank you for the positive review!

Glad you like it!!!

Very nice touch -that is the knob I am considering. However, 500 Madness did say that they are having a batch of heavier black anodized knobs made. Any pictures of those installed yet? I am very curious about how they look.

eerteep
02-10-2012, 09:20 PM
the shifter knob on my sport just broke in the same manner today—just popped right off!
will be calling dealership tomorrow.
looking at the part in hand, i can see this being a common thing.
: \*

500MADNESS.com
02-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Very nice touch -that is the knob I am considering. However, 500 Madness did say that they are having a batch of heavier black anodized knobs made. Any pictures of those installed yet? I am very curious about how they look.

We have them! They are powder coated Black. Look in the gear shift knob section of our site for the MADNESS Edition Gear Shift Knob. You will see a couple of versions. The knobs are heave, solid and have a very nice feel. All that have installed them have been happy.