PDA

View Full Version : TomTom question

Tailspin
01-07-2012, 12:10 PM
I've had my 500 for a couple of weeks now ... while I am totally in love with it, the one thing that's frustrating me is the TomTom holder. I really like that the unit is linked to the car through Blue & Me, and that the little port in the dash gets rid of all the wires and crazy setup... but I can't figure out where to store it when I'm not using it! The glove compartment isn't big enough to hold the whole thing! I can squeak it in if I take the TomTom screen out of the holder and put them in separately, but if I keep them together it won't fit. Am I missing something?

Felnus
01-07-2012, 05:12 PM
That's odd. I've put mine in the glove box with the TomTom unit attached many times. I don't leave it in the dash port if I'm away from the car. What else do you have in the glove box besides the folder with the user guides?

janaheim
01-07-2012, 06:50 PM
I've had my 500 for a couple of weeks now ... while I am totally in love with it, the one thing that's frustrating me is the TomTom holder. I really like that the unit is linked to the car through Blue & Me, and that the little port in the dash gets rid of all the wires and crazy setup... but I can't figure out where to store it when I'm not using it! The glove compartment isn't big enough to hold the whole thing! I can squeak it in if I take the TomTom screen out of the holder and put them in separately, but if I keep them together it won't fit. Am I missing something?

The glove box has a deep recess in the back. For such a tiny car, the glove box is very roomy. I can fit my Garmin bean bag mount, nuvi 765T and power cable in the glove box easily, as well as the owner's manual.

luckymoi
01-07-2012, 08:08 PM
I keep mine intact in the boot in a blanket that I keep there.
Some times I put the holder in front of the rivers seat and slip the unit in my pocket if I am popping into the store.
Not elegant.

Tailspin
01-08-2012, 10:15 AM
That's odd. I've put mine in the glove box with the TomTom unit attached many times. I don't leave it in the dash port if I'm away from the car. What else do you have in the glove box besides the folder with the user guides?

Nothing in there but the folder, if I take the folder out it juuuust fits. The big knob on the back of the holder is what seems to mess it up because it sticks out so far... If it were flatter in back it would fit right in. I'll have to fiddle with it again today and see if I can figure out the secret...

Felnus
01-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Nothing in there but the folder, if I take the folder out it juuuust fits. The big knob on the back of the holder is what seems to mess it up because it sticks out so far... If it were flatter in back it would fit right in. I'll have to fiddle with it again today and see if I can figure out the secret...

This is how it works for me:

F500
01-08-2012, 02:13 PM
thanks 'Felnus' for the pic. I had been keeping mine in an old CD bag I had from my last car (has a Dodge Ram logo on it) and sliding it under the back of the drivers seat. but for the most part, I just have mine in the port all the time. I think since I got my TomTom, I've had it out of the port only twice, for a very short time. my wife keeps telling me that I need to put it away when I park somewhere but I've always said "that's why we have INSURANCE" LOL

anyway, now that I see how you've put it in the glove box, I can do that too.....again, THANKS! :D

luckymoi
01-08-2012, 02:26 PM
its a break-in magnet IMHO and since its a stand alone device it has special appeal.
The hassle of replacing the driver's side window makes me pop it out.
I don't leave my cell phone sitting out either when I park outside my house.

phattbam
01-15-2012, 12:49 AM
I"ll take pics of how I store mine tomorrow.

EDIT:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/phattbam/Bella/IMG_0031.jpg

ciddyguy
01-15-2012, 07:24 PM
As others have intimated, namely Luckymoi, leaving it in the port all the time is asking for a break in. This is especially if you live in or work in the city and drive in and have to park outside of a parking garage especially as break ins are common in many cities.

I've had my car broken into twice, both times I accidentally left the car unlocked (central locking in my old 88 Honda Accord) and had my portable CD player stolen (which I'd left in there also by mistake).

Also, another time, someone tried to jimmy the lock cylinder in the driver's door and mucked it up so I had to swap it out with the one on the passenger side. This was around 2004 or so.

Since I don't even leave my CD's, nor the face plate to my in dash stereo in there, I've not had a break in since in my truck and all other items are stored out of sight.

Keeping stuff of potential value out of sight or not in the car is just plain common sense, even in the suburbs.