Shop NGEN Performance
Shop 500 Madness

Edit to my post: This morning the car felt like it was misfiring as the low pressure warning flashed on again. I'm definitely going to have to avoid driving...

I see tons of Alfas around here, but I live near wealthy East Coast enclaves. Stevios are especially popular....

For item one, check the gas cap. There is an O-ring that gets brittle with age. Generally a squirt of lithium grease or something similar will refresh...

Low oil pressure + high oil consumpion/leak + unrelated CEL

Hello everyone. I have a couple of issues I would like some guideance with regarding my 2015 manual Abarth. I doubt these two problems are related to...

Tiers already balanced. In what way? Did he just look at the balance weights on the wheel or did he actually spin them on his machine?

Ok... When I did all the work on the front end, I brought the front tires to get balanced. The tire shop told me they were already balanced. The car...

Need a good tire balancing. Run you car by a good alignment shop....

Tell us how you really feel. LOL

Sounds like a bent axle.

Tire shake at 45mph...

Hi all!
I have just completed a rebuild of my front suspension. I replaced both lower control arms, the left tie rod end, both front and rear...

500 Madness lists a pre-2016 T4 head unit, but all the pictures for it show the T2, which practically eliminates the center vents. There are dozens of...

update if anyone is interested

i found the correct transmission, but its at a dealership in washington. im from massachusetts. theyre selling...

Our car is compatible with the idatalink / maestro system but that's only on double din. I have it in my Toyota, it's nice. Too bad the android models...

The 500 Madness T4 is for Fiats from 2016 and up. I assumed yours is an older model since you were considering the Spiral Audio kit.

There...

MADNESS Spring Savings!

Save $70.00 on this Vertical Chassis Brace Kit by SILA Concepts for your FIAT 500.

Improve the handling...

It really depends on where dealers are. I surprisingly see more Alfas than Fiats around here. I have the feeling it is because the resale value is so...

I only ever seen one Alfa here. Since their reintroduction here....

post her car for sale, on Facebook market....

"Wicked Cute" First Road Test in Motor Trend February 2012 Issue

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geeded
    Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member
    • Jun 2011

"Wicked Cute" First Road Test in Motor Trend February 2012 Issue

Edit: Now online link:

The Abarth 500 "Road Test" is spread across 3 pages but includes limited information. Much space is taken up by its appearance, some history, and little specific about its ride & handling....just the numbers with little about how it feels, rides, etc.

The writer enjoyed the engine, that the Abarth's grip was "impressive" and "stays much flatter". OTOH, he said that the Abarth understeered more and was "a little less playful" than the Sport.

Another extended bash ("disappointed") of the driving position being old-school Italian long reach (why couldn't they have spent an extra $50 per car & installed a reach adjustment for the steering wheel?).

Ended with "As a complete package, the Abarth is a solid choice for those who want a hot hatch that stands out from the Coopers and GTIs of the world. For those dyed-in-the-wool Fiat and Abarth fans, it will be the only choice".

I wholeheartedly agree with that last sentiment.

Exterior photographs of the Rosso version, small one of the dash, and none of the seats. The pictures take up more room than the writing. It would be interesting to know the peak g's it pulled since it was equipped with the 17" wheel/tires. (I still haven't seen ONE picture of the NA Abarth wearing its standard 16" wheels).

Here are some of the specs they give:

0-60 6.8 seconds
    1/4 mile 15.3 Seconds @ 89.8 mph
    Braking 60-0 117 ft.
    Lateral g's 0.86 g (avg)
    Curb Weight 2564 lb (64/36%)

Base price $21,500 (est)
    Price as tested $23,000 (est)

EPA Mileage 27/32 mpg (est)

I'm pleasantly surprised they got 0-60 below 7 seconds, obviously gets there w/o shifting to third. BTW, nothing at all in the Feb issue of C&D. I don't know if MT jumped the gun or just got it out first.

Cheers
    Last edited by geeded; 01-03-2012, 05:11 PM.
    sigpic

"Careful Icarus...The Abarth abides..."
  • 500ways
    Carpe Diem
    Lifetime Member
    • Nov 2011

Thanks for the post - can't wait to try one out for myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    When I grow up, I want to be a Ferrari!

Comment

• VTEC Mini
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by geeded
      The Abarth 500 "Road Test" is spread across 3 pages but includes limited information. Much space is taken up by its appearance, some history, and little specific about its ride & handling....just the numbers with little about how it feels, rides, etc.

The writer enjoyed the engine, that the Abarth's grip was "impressive" and "stays much flatter". OTOH, he said it understeered more and that the Abarth was "a little less playful" than the Sport.

Another extended bash ("disappointed") of the driving position being old-school Italian long reach (why couldn't they have spent an extra $50 & installed a reach adjustment for the steering wheel?).

Ended with "As a complete package, the Abarth is a solid choice for those who want a hot hatch that stands out from the Coopers and GTIs of the world. For those dyed-in-the-wool Fiat and Abarth fans, it will be the only choice".

I wholeheartedly agree with that last sentiment.

Exterior photographs of the Rosso version, small one of the dash, and none of the seats. The pictures take up more room than the writing. It would be interesting to know the peak g's it pulled since it was equipped with the 17" wheel/tires. (I still haven't seen ONE picture of the NA Abarth wearing its standard 16" wheels).

Here are some of the specs they give:

0-60 6.8 seconds
      1/4 mile 15.3 Seconds @ 89.8 mph
      Braking 60-0 117 ft.
      Lateral g's 0.86 g (avg)
      Curb Weight 2564 lb (64/36%)

Base price $21,500 (est)
      Price as tested $23,000 (est)

EPA Mileage 27/32 mpg (est)

I'm pleasantly surprised they got 0-60 below 7 seconds, obviously gets there w/o shifting to third. BTW, nothing at all in the Feb issue of C&D. I don't know if MT jumped the gun or just got it out first.

Cheers
      Is this in news stands now or can you see it on line?

Comment

• geeded
        Lifetime Member
        Lifetime Member
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by VTEC Mini
        Is this in news stands now or can you see it on line?
        I have a subscription for MT, C&D, R&T, AutoWeek, & Automobile. I received MT and C&D in the mail yesterday. So if it is not out on the newsstands yet, it will be in a day or two. (Yes, I know I have a problem when it comes to cars<grin>).

Cheers
        sigpic

Comment

• VTEC Mini
          • Dec 2011

I have a subscription for MT, C&D, R&T, AutoWeek, & Automobile. I received MT and C&D in the mail yesterday. So if it is not out on the newsstands yet, it will be in a day or two. (Yes, I know I have a problem when it comes to cars<grin>).

Cheers
          LOL! My wife has put the brakes (no pun intended) on my subscription list. Like four different ones is to many, ssshhheeeesssshhhh! LOL!

Comment

• geeded
            Lifetime Member
            Lifetime Member
            • Jun 2011

Motor Trend internet link to this story now up:

Enjoy!

Cheers
            sigpic

Comment

• VTEC Mini
              • Dec 2011

Thank you!

Comment

• epb
                • Nov 2011

LOL! My wife has put the brakes (no pun intended) on my subscription list. Like four different ones is to many, ssshhheeeesssshhhh! LOL!
                Aren't all those subscriptions dirt cheap? I think I saw an offer for Automobile that was a dollar an issue! A print copy of Evo is $11 - a buddy of mine took a bunch of old issues home once and his wife saw the prices and freaked.

*PS - this forum has the ugliest collection of smilies I've ever seen - they're so weird.

Comment

• buzzny
                  • Oct 2011

Damn, It's been a while since I had 2 car payments. This might be worth it. Just can't part with my other toys. That red will sell it to the wife

Comment

• VTEC Mini
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by epb
                    Aren't all those subscriptions dirt cheap? I think I saw an offer for Automobile that was a dollar an issue! A print copy of Evo is $11 - a buddy of mine took a bunch of old issues home once and his wife saw the prices and freaked.

*PS - this forum has the ugliest collection of smilies I've ever seen - they're so weird.
                    One of my subscriptions is Mini Magazine out of Britain and it is $146 dollars a year! Besides with four coming a month it piles up pretty quick and I think that's what my wife hates hates most. She says are house looks like a tire shop waiting room for Mini's/ MINI's......

Comment

• Dwaynek
                      • Aug 2011

Vtec you can now get mini magazine on line for 4.95 an issue. Get info for my older Cooper.

Comment

• epb
                        • Nov 2011

One of my subscriptions is Mini Magazine out of Britain and it is $146 dollars a year! Besides with four coming a month it piles up pretty quick and I think that's what my wife hates hates most. She says are house looks like a tire shop waiting room for Mini's/ MINI's......
                        Yep, they pile up quickly. I save/shelve 3 titles, the rest I bring to work for the breakroom, where they disappear quickly.

Comment

• geeded
                          Lifetime Member
                          Lifetime Member
                          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by epb
                          Aren't all those subscriptions dirt cheap? I think I saw an offer for Automobile that was a dollar an issue! A print copy of Evo is $11 - a buddy of mine took a bunch of old issues home once and his wife saw the prices and freaked.\
                          Yep, dirt cheap. Once you have a subscription and it's getting ready to lapse, the reductions come fast. If you DO let them lapse & since they sell advertising based on copies sold, they become almost free. I paid $25 for three years of Automobile I think, and always around $10 a year for Autoweek... I've had to let it lapse but they always come back at that price, sooner or later.

I know I can get almost everything online but I grew up on those magazines. I bought my first new car (1970 2002) based on the recommendation of David E Davis. I do find myself skipping a lot of articles though... usually those having to do with Porsche, Corvette, or Mercedes.

Cheers
                          Last edited by geeded; 01-03-2012, 09:36 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

• VTEC Mini
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Dwaynek
                            Vtec you can now get mini magazine on line for 4.95 an issue. Get info for my older Cooper.
                            You can, how?

Comment

• VTEC Mini
                              • Dec 2011

I know I can get almost everything online but I grew up on those magazines. I bought my first new car (1970 2002) based on the recommendation of David E Davis. I do find myself skipping a lot of articles though... usually those having to do with Porsche, Corvette, or Mercedes.

Cheers
                              Yep, since I was wee little and always having Hot Rod Magazine in my hand there is just something about having an actual magazine in hand that on line can't capture. I don't know what it is and I can't put my finger on it.

Comment